Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 10

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• mrpon 1 Jun 2012 10:14:46 29,587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bloody hell, it's LOST: The Game!!

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• MatMan562 1 Jun 2012 11:34:03 2,615 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As a big Tomb Raider fan I think this looks really great! It doesn't look like the whole survival aspect is being used as much as i'd hoped (though that's still possible, it's only a trailer afterall) but even so, I still think this looks like a fun and interesting game. Looking forward to seeing more next week, I think I heard it was going to be shown off at Microsofts conference (which makes at least 3 games they'll be showing :p ).

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• King_Edward 1 Jun 2012 11:38:53 11,471 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm sure it'll good, but I'll always dislike them for killing off the old Lara.
  • beastmaster 1 Jun 2012 11:44:04 12,014 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I want the ultimate special limited collectors edition.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Blerk Moderator 1 Jun 2012 11:46:08 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I liked the look of this a lot too. Sure, it's nothing like the 'old' Tomb Raider, but to be honest I'd pretty much had enough of that anyway.

That said, if it's still QTE-driven like the brief demo last year was then colour me disgruntled. Interested to see more of it.
  • oceanmotion 1 Jun 2012 13:20:33 16,129 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice trailer but looks like it's hiding about a billion button prompts.

Hopefully not too bad as the small snippets of pure game play look rather good as my imagination runs wild.

Edited by oceanmotion at 13:22:37 01-06-2012
  • sanctusmortis 2 Jun 2012 11:42:32 9,807 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it me, or is Feb/March the new Oct/Nov? Everything's out in those 2 months next year.
  • beastmaster 2 Jun 2012 11:45:05 12,014 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't wait for this. I hadn't seen the new trailer and I was quite surprised as to how bloody it is. I think it looks brilliant myself.

• Feanor 2 Jun 2012 12:51:47 14,185 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I hope it's not too creepy and rapetastic. That's not what I'm looking for in a TR game.
  • Anti-Spiral 2 Jun 2012 14:57:45 2 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This is definitely one of my most anticipated games of 2013, it's the only revamped version of TR (or any other game for that matter) that I've actually wanted to play for a good 5 years.

With it looking hauntingly similar to Lost that might not be all of a bad thing. I'm sure there are plenty of TR fans who also loved Lost and wished for a compelling game with this kind of story.

All in all though, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who can say that this is the most they've looked forward to a Tomb Raider game.
  • NotSoSlim 2 Jun 2012 15:12:57 3,149 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    Is it me, or is Feb/March the new Oct/Nov? Everything's out in those 2 months next year.
    Called avoid Call of Duty syndrome yet they all could be screwed if GTA 5 comes out in March
  • King_Edward 2 Jun 2012 15:38:22 11,471 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    I hope it's not too creepy and rapetastic. That's not what I'm looking for in a TR game.
    The trailer did seem a little too rapey.
  • TFM_Excalibur 2 Jun 2012 16:39:50 1,100 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The gameplay they showed last year lookes awesome, cant wait for this...
  • neilka 2 Jun 2012 17:50:18 16,544 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Feanor wrote:
    The trailer did seem a little too rapey.
    Was there a QTE for it?

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Deleted user 2 June 2012 18:10:59
    @Feanor I'm sure it is pretty much what is in trailer, bit tasteless if goes further. I think it looks brill, little bit concerned it will hold ur hand n have lots of qte. Laras character looks more developed than b4, lots of different emotions.
  • Syrette 2 Jun 2012 18:43:56 44,270 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Bloody hell, it's LOST: The Game!!
    This says hi

• varsas 4 Jun 2012 21:58:02 2,414 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The footage shown in the MS conference looks great but it also looks far too close to Uncharted especially with our young Lara happily shooting people up with guns and arrows to the head. I just hope they do heed some of the criticisms for Uncharted.
  • santashi 10 Oct 2012 09:57:51 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Some information on three of the US retailer specific preorder bonuses for the game: here.

Has Amazon done a Kindle related preorder or limited edition game bonus before? I don't remember hearing of one.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Spong 10 Oct 2012 10:41:31 525 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know why I'm surprised to see a TR9 thread here. What doesn't surprise me is the four-month gap between posts. Yep, TR9 is hardly worth talking about, and I should know, I'm a long-time member of Tomb Raider Forums (where Lara is God and the rest of the game is a footnote).

TR9 is tiresome, which is saying something considering it's still six bloody months away. I'm sick of Crystal constantly going on about Lara all the time. The woman doesn't make or break the game, she never has. Anyway, here we are, almost three years down the development line and, according to Meagan Marie (Crystal's Community Manager), they're finally about to embark on some marketing that doesn't revolve around that insipid cow. Supposedly, around the end of the year, we'll be getting a final press push that doesn't actually involve the likes of Karl Stewart (Creative Director) dribbling on about Batman or James Bond as though Lara should be in the same group as them. We'll apparently be seeing some exploration, some traversal - the things that actually made the original Tomb Raider games so damn great.

Crystal have seriously got their priorities the wrong way round. I'm a massive TR geek, yet I couldn't give a fuck about Lara Croft, I never have. I've said it countless times at TRF, and I'll say it here; when I play TR games, it was never Lara exploring those wonderful locations, it was me. Crystal seem rabidly hell-bent on ramming Lara down our throats in TR9 that it already feels like they've removed that immersion the original games had. I don't want to be constantly reminded that TR9 is supposedly about someone I don't care for.
  • beastmaster 10 Oct 2012 11:28:36 12,014 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spong wrote:

I'm sick of Crystal constantly going on about Lara all the time. The woman doesn't make or break the game, she never has.

I'm a massive TR geek, yet I couldn't give a fuck about Lara Croft, I never have.
    A lot of people do though. I think the reason she's mentioned along with 007 and Indy is becuase they potentially have massive film rights. If you had a film turns out to be any good then merchandise and the like will get mega-bucks.

I'm really looking forward to the game. I'm even thinking of taking a few days off to play it.

• Spong 10 Oct 2012 15:32:38 525 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's the thing. Beyond Crystal's endless exalting of Lara (which I swear is merely their growing desperation to get out from under Core's shadow and make the series their own), TR9 is the least TR-looking game I've ever seen. In nearly three years of development, what have we got to show for it? An hours worth of footage in which the player is led down a single, story-driven path that is littered with BS Hollywood-style set-pieces.

I get that Crystal want to make TR their own, but it seems to me that their track record of three mediocre games makes it look as though they never had a clear perception of what TR was to begin with. In their eyes, TR9 has got Lara in it, so no TR fan should have cause for concern. That couldn't be further from the truth. The games are what made Lara the icon she once was, not Lara herself. But Crystal seem to think that Lara is all anyone wants to know about, so now we have a game that rewrites pretty much everything and the only Tomb Raider traits that remain are the title and the main character.

I'd argue that a worthwhile percentage of people want to know about Lara. While it is the case at places like TRF, the majority of the general gaming public have come to view Lara as one of the fallen, a name associated with games that were good once, and they just don't care about her any more. And even as a massive fan of the series, I don't blame them for thinking that. The games she appears in have been crap since Angel of Darkness (although Chronicles was a turning point). To me, TR9 looks no better. It's another RE6, a game that'll shamelessly plagiarise all the popular stuff from its peers, sell millions, but will be nothing more than a cheap fireworks display.

Edited by Spong at 15:34:13 10-10-2012
  • spamdangled 10 Oct 2012 15:38:57 27,485 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't think you could call Anniversary or Legends "crap" by any stretch.

Underworld wasn't fantastic, but even that was above-average.

(speaking as someone who has played TR since the first game came out)

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• King_Edward 10 Oct 2012 16:12:48 11,471 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was all against this until RE6 came out, now I can really see the point in a reboot. Tomb Raider a couple of decades worth of retard back story too that it can't hurt to just pretend never happened.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2012 16:14:56
    There haven't been any posts for 4 months because there has been no news of any kind about it for at least that long an so nothing to discuss.
  • Dr.Haggard 10 Oct 2012 17:30:28 4,259 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I dunno, I'd argue it's not a great sign when the thread doesn't get any attention before, during or for nearly two weeks after there was a playable demo (edit: and a dev session) at the expo.

It was discussed a bit in the expo thread, but I don't recall very much positive being said about it unfortunately. My own experience with the demo - and I actually only played it when there was nothing else left that I wanted to do and there was no queue, despite still being a long disappointed but vainly hopeful fan of the first game for all these years - was a resounding meh :(

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 17:31:20 10-10-2012
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Oct 2012 17:44:49 25,658 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was mega hyped for it until the meh reviews from the expo

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• HelloNo 10 Oct 2012 21:24:30 1,285 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I missed the bits about Tomb Raider, what was so meh about it? QTE events?
  • spamdangled 10 Oct 2012 21:26:32 27,485 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Basically it's a big corridor game with no exploration, holds your hands, and interrupts gameplay every 30 seconds with another dull cutscene of Lara hurting herself.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• oceanmotion 10 Oct 2012 21:28:39 16,129 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have to protect her.

Edited by oceanmotion at 21:29:07 10-10-2012
  • Dr.Haggard 10 Oct 2012 22:56:36 4,259 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah the incessant cut scenes are one of the things that bothered me. It drags control of the camera away from you constantly to show you a dramatic angle, a vista they don't want you to miss, an important landmark or item, even just to frame a line of Lara's equally persistent and annoying self-narration in case you miss it while you're busy walking forwards along their badly disguised corridor. It's maddening.

The thing is their initial showing - was it E3 last year? -  was so bad (the cave sequence with the QTEs and, well everything) they had a huge uphill struggle after that, but it's not going well.
  • Page

of 78 First / Last