Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 9

  • Page

    of 78 First / Last

  • Tuffty 1 May 2011 13:01:59 1,715 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why do people bitch about a mechanic like the 'Survival Instinct'? If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple. It's the same with people who bitch about something like fast travel in Fallout.
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 13:12:43
    This Lara is human; she bleeds and suffers

    Period minigame confirmed?
  • Deleted user 1 May 2011 13:20:56
    Physics from Half Life 2 The usage of gravity or water currents was already explored in this classic game. Here such concepts will be put to use with boxes and barrels.

    Oh good. Crate puzzles.
  • Ultrasoundwave 3 Jun 2011 11:05:50 3,398 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got to say that new trailer looks fantastic - hopefully the in-game graphics are just as good. Really looking forward to this game now............im personally hoping for a classic tomb raider experience, mixed in with some current gen stuff like Uncharted and Batman : Arkham Asylum.

    "The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

  • Deleted user 3 June 2011 11:15:01
    I think thats Keira Knightly doing Laras voice. Sounds like it.
  • Ziz0u 3 Jun 2011 11:27:11 8,596 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Want this, but haven't played any Tomb Raider games since the PS2 ones.

    Which one on 360/PS3 is the best?
  • Dr.Haggard 3 Jun 2011 11:55:42 4,245 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Funnily enough, Anniversary is. The first game and it's remake are the only really great Tomb Raider games.

    Really liked the new trailer, hoping (yet again) this might be a return to form. That is, of course, the form of the first game that was then mostly chucked away in favour of stupid motorbike sequences and shooting people.
  • ecu 3 Jun 2011 13:25:39 77,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, anniversary is the best. The original release was a PS2 game, so the 360 version looks a bit shoddy, but it's still a quality game.

    They redid the three games in HD for the PS3 collection if you want something a little better looking.
  • oceanmotion 3 Jun 2011 13:29:52 16,089 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like her perfect hair.
  • ecu 3 Jun 2011 13:39:17 77,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Got to say that new trailer looks fantastic - hopefully the in-game graphics are just as good.

    Come on now.
  • Dr.Haggard 3 Jun 2011 13:54:33 4,245 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Yeah, anniversary is the best. The original release was a PS2 game, so the 360 version looks a bit shoddy, but it's still a quality game.

    They redid the three games in HD for the PS3 collection if you want something a little better looking.
    Didn't realise that, I played the PC version of Anniversary as I have with all the Tomb Raider games (I still find it odd every time someone refers to the original as a PS1 game, but I guess back then consoles didn't even exist to me, Tomb Raider was a PC game just like Quake was).

    Anniversary on PC looked decent, Crystal Dynamics' engine ran smoothly and looked good on even the most modest hardware, so I'm surprised the 360 version was shoddy. I had no idea it was released on PS2, it seems too recent for that. I guess the engine must've scaled down really well.
  • Derblington 3 Jun 2011 13:55:19 22,116 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hindle wrote:
    I think thats Keira Knightly doing Laras voice. Sounds like it.

    O_O

    No, it's not Knightly. Sounds nothing like her, imo (apart from being a young British female, obv.).
  • Deleted user 3 June 2011 13:55:40
    They revealed it way too early, i cant believe its not coming till Q4 2012.
  • ecu 3 Jun 2011 13:58:05 77,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Yeah, anniversary is the best. The original release was a PS2 game, so the 360 version looks a bit shoddy, but it's still a quality game.

    They redid the three games in HD for the PS3 collection if you want something a little better looking.
    Didn't realise that, I played the PC version of Anniversary as I have with all the Tomb Raider games (I still find it odd every time someone refers to the original as a PS1 game, but I guess back then consoles didn't even exist to me, Tomb Raider was a PC game just like Quake was).

    Anniversary on PC looked decent, Crystal Dynamics' engine ran smoothly and looked good on even the most modest hardware, so I'm surprised the 360 version was shoddy. I had no idea it was released on PS2, it seems too recent for that. I guess the engine must've scaled down really well.

    Well it's not that bad. It's just noticeably a PS2 port, where as Legend and Underworld look significantly better. The game was made for PSP, then moved to PS2 and ported everywhere else. The PC version is a port of the PS2 game.
  • beastmaster 6 Jun 2011 12:48:12 11,805 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just seen the cinematic. I know it's not gameplay but damn! Looks stunning.

    The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

  • SlapDashDapps 6 Jun 2011 14:36:06 13 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Just seen the cinematic. I know it's not gameplay but damn! Looks stunning.
    Also have just taken time to view the trailer .. im liking the direction the video seems to point out of the new direction for TR , looking forward to seeing some gameplay at E3
  • Dr.Haggard 6 Jun 2011 22:07:10 4,245 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New 'gameplay' footage is pretty meh. It's disappointing that they decided to show what amounts to little more than a long and unremarkable QTE sequence.

    Also they obviously had trouble letting go of those irritating twats who spoiled Legend and Underworld by constantly wittering in your earpiece, because now Lara just talks to herself instead. Sigh.

    Crystal Dynamics seem to think they have to signpost everything in their games, tell you what just happened, what's about to happen, what you should be thinking about and what Lara might be thinking at any given moment. It's ridiculous and completely ruins the atmosphere. It's even more frustrating considering the best game of the series was so good partly because of the silence.
  • FooAtari 7 Jun 2011 09:13:12 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    New 'gameplay' footage is pretty meh. It's disappointing that they decided to show what amounts to little more than a long and unremarkable QTE sequence.

    Also they obviously had trouble letting go of those irritating twats who spoiled Legend and Underworld by constantly wittering in your earpiece, because now Lara just talks to herself instead. Sigh.

    Crystal Dynamics seem to think they have to signpost everything in their games, tell you what just happened, what's about to happen, what you should be thinking about and what Lara might be thinking at any given moment. It's ridiculous and completely ruins the atmosphere. It's even more frustrating considering the best game of the series was so good partly because of the silence.

    This. It instantly killed all interest I had in the game. Everything you needed to do was displayed on the HUD. Press X, Press RT, or via Lara "Keep moving", "More Fire". As I said in the preview article, why not just be done with it and make a bloody movie instead. Dragons Lair really was onto something all those years ago. It was just ahead of it's time.
  • Tonka 7 Jun 2011 09:19:31 21,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Agreed, that game play demo looked shit.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • morriss 7 Jun 2011 09:21:30 71,283 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, same here. The physics, the lighting, the particle effects, all awesome. Then they having glowing fucking objects and intrusive button-presses to undo all that hard work.

    TR is about being stuck. Hopelessly stuck. Trial and error, creative thinking = successful route out of where you are.

    Wankers.
  • Deleted user 7 June 2011 09:28:59
    Thats just the tuitorial, bit unfair to judge the entire game based on that.
  • ecu 7 Jun 2011 13:32:00 77,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, looked decent to me. I doubt the whole game will be 10 hours of that.
  • Blerk Moderator 7 Jun 2011 13:38:48 48,225 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lara was much better when she could only say "ugh", "aaaargh" and "no".
  • Blerk Moderator 7 Jun 2011 13:39:16 48,225 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually that sounded a bit pervy. :-D
  • Deleted user 15 June 2011 22:19:44
    http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/tomb_raider/preview-3031-2.html

    New details, multiple islands, loot, and it seems they have taken influence from the surival aspects of MGS 3 as well.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2011 22:22:29
    Sounds very promising and they're saying all the right things. I'll definately be keeping an eye out for it now.
  • MatMan562 15 Jun 2011 23:46:39 2,552 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As a 17 year old, one of my earliest memories of gaming is watching my dad playing the original Tomb Raider and being shit scared of the T-Rex. I have played every Tomb Raider game released as far as I know and am a massive fan of all of them (I even liked Angel of Darkness) so when they announced they were giving the series a reboot I was concerned. Having said that, everything they've said sounds extremely promising. My only concerns are that Lara will get too powereful too quickly, I would much prefer a slow and gradual rise, and the demo they showed at E3 seemed too focused on QTE's (though I'd imagine that was just to wow the audience).

    Is it known yet whether there will be an option to turn the Survivor Instinct thing off? It looks as though it may make the puzzles (the greatest part of Tomb Raider) a little too easy.

    Along with Bioshock Infinite this is my most looked forward to game beyond 2011. Just a shame it's so far away...

    XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

  • King_Edward 15 Jun 2011 23:50:52 11,467 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I hated it when they announced it, and everything they've shown only makes me hate it more.
  • Dr.Haggard 1 Jun 2012 10:05:21 4,245 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ugh, the new trailer is bloody awful. Thought this one might be the oft-promised but as yet undelivered return to form (ie TR1), but so much for that.

    Thank god the Dishonoured trailer turned up on the same day, which is certainly less of a letdown at least.

    Edited by Dr.Haggard at 10:06:07 01-06-2012
  • mikew1985 1 Jun 2012 10:10:16 12,985 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it looks pretty damn good.

    Certainly a hell of a lot better than a grid based block puzzle "return to form" would be.
  • Page

    of 78 First / Last

Log in or register to reply