Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 77

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• killersrquiet 2 Jun 2014 12:31:46 2,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Not had an opportunity to play any uncharted games yet. I do think tomb raider as it stands, is a better TR game for not firmly sticking to its roots. The obvious argument against that is easy to see from some gamers perspective -"not really a tomb raider game"

Edited by killersrquiet at 13:54:41 02-06-2014
  • kalel 2 Jun 2014 12:35:17 87,695 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't agree with that. It's a blatant jump on several band wagons and cherry-picks elements from several other big games - Uncharted, Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed etc.

That's not to say it isn't a good game, it's an excellent game and it combines the best of all those games, and is probably better than any of them. However, it's not a better game for not sticking to its roots. If it could have somehow taken the essence of the old games and redefined what that means in modern gaming, then it really could have been something special.

But whatever. I'm over it. It's a very good game for what it is. That's fine.
  • Rhaegyr 2 Jun 2014 13:21:41 1,716 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thought it was bobbins. Uncharted isn't that much better either.

Though parts do shine, the excessive hand-holding really killed it for me. Could've been a lot more enjoyable if it let you hold the reins more often.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 13:22:33 02-06-2014
  • Mr_Sleep 2 Jun 2014 13:35:28 17,075 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:

Though parts do shine, the excessive hand-holding really killed it for me. Could've been a lot more enjoyable if it let you hold the reins more often.
    Add to that the constant need to tell you how much XP each kill earns and all the other intrusive bollocks. I can't think of another game that has tried so hard to be immersive and character-driven and then broken its own immersion so quickly with such pointless screen clutter. The game seems to have aspirations towards a cinematic feel and flow and then they bolted all this gamey stuff on top of it for some reason.

You are a factory of sadness.

• killersrquiet 2 Jun 2014 13:55:41 2,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Never been a fan of any previous TR game, this one however made me interested if future games follow a similar path. Each to their own

Edited by killersrquiet at 13:57:00 02-06-2014
  • RyanDS 2 Jun 2014 14:05:24 9,379 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Replaying this on PS4 after playing it on PS3 when it came out, and am actually loving it even more than the first time. I think the difference is this time I am collecting everything and suddenly I am back in old Tomb Raider mode of trying to figure out how to scale and reach places.

Some of them require almost as much effort as the tombs in the old games and are providing some fun puzzle action.
  • Rhaegyr 2 Jun 2014 14:10:55 1,716 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Some of them require almost as much effort as the tombs in the old games
    lol wut?

There weren't even tombs in this game, just one-puzzle rooms masquerading as tombs.

I don't mean to sound a twat, but I think you're genuinely underestimating how difficult the old puzzles were and how much of a cake-walk the new ones are.
  • beastmaster 2 Jun 2014 14:13:54 11,418 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did a double dip on this one. 360 and PS4. I did all the exploring etc. in the 360 version so kind of whizzed through it second time around.

I thought it was a brilliant game. I liked the Uncharted action but for the sequel, I think we'd all like to see tombs and puzzles on a scale of the original games.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• CharlieStCloud 2 Jun 2014 16:15:05 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    killersrquiet wrote:
    I do think tomb raider as it stands, is a better TR game for not firmly sticking to its roots.
    /o\

RyanDS wrote:
    Some of them require almost as much effort as the tombs in the old games and are providing some fun puzzle action.
    /o\

So much face palm'age is going on.

... I hope to sweet Moses that the next game is absolutely nothing like this one.

kalel, please stop toying with your phone when the cutscenes are playing in Uncharted. They are the absolute cream of the crop in any videogame!
  • killersrquiet 2 Jun 2014 16:27:14 2,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    killersrquiet wrote:
    I do think tomb raider as it stands, is a better TR game for not firmly sticking to its roots.
    /o\

RyanDS wrote:
    /o\

So much face palm'age is going on.

... I hope to sweet Moses that the next game is absolutely nothing like this one.

kalel, please stop toying with your phone when the cutscenes are playing in Uncharted. They are the absolute cream of the crop in any videogame!
    Don't single me out you to tea-bagging swinger fool :-)

made more sense in my head than on the page!!!!!!!
  • killersrquiet 2 Jun 2014 16:28:42 2,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Essentially. The old TR games were boring as shit, the reboot was not, therefore i thoroughly enjoyed it

The End.
  • RyanDS 2 Jun 2014 16:32:49 9,379 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Some of them require almost as much effort as the tombs in the old games
    lol wut?

There weren't even tombs in this game, just one-puzzle rooms masquerading as tombs.

I don't mean to sound a twat, but I think you're genuinely underestimating how difficult the old puzzles were and how much of a cake-walk the new ones are.
    I know there weren't tombs. I was specifically talking about the difficulty of the collectibles at times.

And I played all the earlier games on release and still love them.  This is different bit also good in a different way.

I do agree there are no puzzles in the main game.
  • kalel 2 Jun 2014 17:02:20 87,695 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Probably, but that's a very low bar indeed. Realistically I could watch any low-grade derivative adventure film Indiana Jones rip off like National Treasure or whatever, and it would still have a better story and script.
  • ecureuil 12 Aug 2014 17:59:56 76,814 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there a thread for Rise of the Tomb Raider? I can't find one.

Not going to make one either since I don't have an Xbox One.
  • altitude2k 12 Aug 2014 19:44:45 4,333 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Is there a thread for Rise of the Tomb Raider? I can't find one.

Not going to make one either since I don't have an Xbox One.
    I don't think anyone dares, right now.
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Aug 2014 19:47:53 8,058 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Valtermcthreadstarter will be along shortly.
  • Bauul 12 Aug 2014 22:04:26 143 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'll just leave this here... :)

Sony signs exclusivity deal for Tomb Raider 2
  • mcmothercruncher 13 Aug 2014 07:39:26 7,078 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And I'll leave this timeline of how it will eventually end up on PS4 and PC anyway.
  • YenRug 13 Aug 2014 12:32:41 2,199 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bauul wrote:
    I'll just leave this here... :)

Sony signs exclusivity deal for Tomb Raider 2
    Eidos Interactive develops and publishes interactive entertainment products for the PC, Sony PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Macintosh and Internet.
    Wow, they were really cutting out a huge chunk of their potential userbase, at that time, weren't they...
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Aug 2014 13:09:02 35,557 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @YenRug Because it wasn't released on the "Internet"? :p
  • Grax 13 Aug 2014 13:18:36 2,275 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:

Add to that the constant need to tell you how much XP each kill earns and all the other intrusive bollocks. I can't think of another game that has tried so hard to be immersive and character-driven and then broken its own immersion so quickly with such pointless screen clutter. The game seems to have aspirations towards a cinematic feel and flow and then they bolted all this gamey stuff on top of it for some reason.
    the bit that got me was when they were panning across this beautiful view of the forest and up popped a banner message telling me that voice command is activated and i can swap my weapon by saying bow (not forgetting the little jingle to go with it)
  • Hacienda 17 Aug 2014 15:18:31 121 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Playing this atm (360), and so far I'm not overly impressed. Just got the gun, and the next section appears to have already devolved wholly into Gears of War Lite. Does it continue like this? Not sure I fancy 7+ more hours of unappealing combat.

Tbf, I had similar misgivings about Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and ended up enjoying that. But it actually felt like Classic Splinter Cell, just with slicker controls, gameplay systems and level design, whereas TR (so far) seems more linear action movie wannabe than the sedate sandbox exploration of old.
  • Derblington 17 Aug 2014 15:58:54 21,635 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nope, that's the game. If you don't like the combat there's little to keep going for.

Edited by Derblington at 15:59:05 17-08-2014
  • killersrquiet 17 Aug 2014 16:02:00 2,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Agreed. That's the tone of the game throughout
  • Malek86 17 Aug 2014 16:25:06 833 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It felt a lot like an Uncharted clone (and the story was just as bad), but I liked it a bit more than UC1. I don't really know why. Maybe because there wasn't as much focus on combat. Those continuous enemy waves in UC really killed the game imho.

Still, I didn't like it enough to pick up the sequel.
  • Maturin 17 Aug 2014 17:45:32 3,005 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finally finished this. Had got to around 80 percent of the way through the story at launch but something else must have been released that caught my eye.

Overall I did enjoy it. I liked the new Lara, I liked much of the story and setting. It certainly looked great on PC. And some of the levels had OG Tomb Raider vertigo inducing moments.

What I didn't like was it descending into Gears of Lara at times. Too much violence really - not enough puzzling. The few puzzles were embarrassingly easy - either gamers have got really thick in the last 20 years or developers have no faith in their audience. While the actual platforming mechanic and abilities were good they weren't used enough for traditional Tomb Raider style puzzles. These definitely would have been possible

Oh and there's a gunfight towards the end that took me ages and pissed me off no end. Really didn't like the narrative dissonance between Lara's story and the mass slaughter she has to commit.

Despite those reservations I'm looking forward to the next game - as long as there's a shift in focus from the CoD approach to a more acrobatic puzzle based game.

Edited by Maturin at 17:46:21 17-08-2014
  • Hacienda 17 Aug 2014 22:52:53 121 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Reckon I'll drop this. I've little interest in playing Gears of War, let alone Gears of Lara.

Maybe CD & MS will get a clue with Rise of the Tomb Raider on the One, and focus on genuine exploration and puzzle-solving, rather than linear traversal and mindless action.

In which case I'd banish this from memory and pretend like "Rise" was the actual origin story reboot! :D
  • SwissEvans 4 Sep 2014 10:37:37 97 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I just got it on XB1, as alot of friends hyped it.

Haven't played Uncharted so cant comment on the comparisons, though its obvious it has taken little bits and bobs from other games, though its forgiveable as its not like its the sole game that does it.

As others have said theres so much juxtaposition in the game i dont know what to make of it. Its meant to be immersive but theres constant XP and salvage and menus.

The character keeps getting protrayed as being vulnerable and in over her head. Yet im getting these cutscenes where shes acting all vulnerable right after a section of gameplay where ive just snapped the necks of 30 guys and left a bodycount higher than total recall? I'm not a massive fan of her either yet.

The story so far just isnt pulling me along, im just going round collecting stuff. Of which there is so much stuff its hard to keep track of as the collectables change with each area. So its confusing. I'd like a bit more to the puzzles too, or emphasis on intelligence than just shoot-out sections. Not that Lara isnt meant to kick ass, but this is supposed to be her before all that?

I wouldnt say its a bad game, it looks alright, and it plays ok too, but it just seems to be suffering from an identity crisis and a bad case of where the gameplay really doesnt match the story theyre trying to tell (vulnerable girl story constantly (so far anyway) yet lots of guns and killing).

Going to stick with it though and finish it so i can properly make up my mind about it.
  • drhickman1983 4 Sep 2014 11:09:40 328 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It is quite gunfight heavy. To be fair, the game handles gunfights better than the earlier Crystal Dynamic TR games did. That's not really saying much.

The platforming sections, despite being much simpler than the earlier games, were actually decent enough. If they trimmed down the combat (though I wouldn't object to it being mechanically the same) and focused more on the platforming / physical puzzle elements I'd have been happier.

Hopefully that's the direction they'll take next time.
  • DUFFKING 4 Sep 2014 18:07:57 7,262 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Main problem I had was that about 25% of the way through the game it turned into an endless alternation of lock-all-doors-respawn-enemies gunfights and 'PANIC!' platform sections whereby shit collapses all around you. It's like they gave up on pacing and someone left a brick on the accelerator.
  • Page

of 78 First / Last