Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 69

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• anon_ 19 May 2013 04:23:50 211 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No doubt it is a very competent and polished game in its own right.

But the thing is a) I've already played some of those other games, and b) I'm rather jaded with such relentless focus on combat and gore in the medium, would have preferred something a little more sedate, like the original games.
  • ecureuil 19 May 2013 04:33:32 76,875 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree. But it's still a very good game in its own right. I paid 15 for it on Steam and would not have wanted to pay more than than. It's good value for that price IMO.
  • anon_ 19 May 2013 04:37:04 211 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To be honest, I'm actually a little annoyed myself that I even bought it at all, thereby being another 'unit' sale and effectively helping to validate CD's decision to take the series in this direction!

Hopefully in the next game they'll have the confidence to put the adventuring front and centre. Not every game has to ape Call of Duty...
  • ecureuil 19 May 2013 05:05:06 76,875 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not like COD. This is the direction everything is moving in, even movies. The time isn't right for a slower paced Tomb Raider, maybe we'll reach this point in the future but I'm riding with it for now. I can enjoy all types of games.
  • INSOMANiAC 8 Jun 2013 18:43:22 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This fucking shitty game, Im at the end of the stronghold bit, before entering the shrine, and theres a bug whereby the door is shut and I cant go into the shrine, tried everything, cant complete the game. Excellent.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• spamdangled 22 Jun 2013 18:13:04 27,362 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just started playing this and I'm still very early into the game, but I thought I would share some initial impressions.

The graphics are nice, along with the sound etc. It's nice to have a Lara that really controls well for once.

The world is very "led". I feel too directed and funneled along a path. Every once in a while the corridor opens out to include a couple of other branches, but ultimately it doesn't feel organic or expansive.

The amount of punishment Lara goes through feels really exploitative and rather distasteful. That the camera, sound and everything else serves to give these moments huge impact almost feels like it relishes the violence, gore and "that" scene of attempted rape.

It's not inspired by Uncharted, this IS uncharted, with a different PC skin, a darker tone and an upgrade/salvage mechanic that feels underdeveloped, illogical and immesion-breaking.

Amazingly, despite all of that I'm sort of enjoying it so far (3 hours in). It's an ok game, but this is not Tomb Raider.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Bahamafish 2 Jul 2013 13:08:44 378 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    great - my saved game won't load. Anybody else had this?

edit: yep, looks like im not the only one :-(

Edited by Bahamafish at 13:10:20 02-07-2013
  • Deleted user 2 July 2013 13:35:47
    darkmorgado wrote:
    This is not Tomb Raider.
    What does it say on the box? ;)
  • CybaRJ 2 Jul 2013 17:14:36 55 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I might be in the minority here but I thought it was bloody brilliant. It's a while now since I played it but the character progression of Lara I thought was spot on. Starts out as a young girl getting brutalised and as the game progresses you see glimpses of this young girl becoming 'Lara Croft' (dual pistols, musical hints, dialogue and level-design hints). I say this as someone who's been playing with Lara (ahem) since the PS1 and never played Uncharted. I thought it was a great reboot, it would've been completely wrong to do a facsimile of all the other Tomb Raiders. They've done a young version of her before and it wasn't exactly great (smaller character model and you couldn't jump as far).

Anyway. Thanks for listening.
  • MrSensible 2 Jul 2013 17:16:51 25,070 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I completely agree - loved every single second of this. The character had... well, CHARACTER for the first time. You really like Lara from the start.

I'd have preferred a few more tombs, but the ones in the game were great - pitched at my, admittedly TERRIBLE puzzle skill level.

Couldn't have asked for a better game in all honesty.
  • CharlieStCloud 2 Jul 2013 17:30:04 5,219 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    Couldn't have asked for a better game in all honesty.
    Maybe make it more like (the original) Tomb Raider for a start!

I really like how the game starts and the vulnerable nature of it all.

... still think the final third lets it down quite a hefty amount though; felt like a never ending wave machine of enemies in places that spoils not only Lara as her character, but ultimately her origin story.

Trouble is, Uncharted did 'it' all first - three times - before this came along and for that, it feels slightly uninspired. I would however happily play another Tomb Raider again if they choose to go back to basics.

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 17:32:02 02-07-2013
  • King_Edward 2 Jul 2013 17:32:08 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I kinda want to try playing through it again. Really, genuinely disliked it on my first attempt, but TLOU just has me in the mood.
  • Scimarad 3 Jul 2013 10:54:16 8,555 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I completely agree - loved every single second of this. The character had... well, CHARACTER for the first time. You really like Lara from the start.
    I couldn't disagree more. I very much enjoyed the gameplay (aside from QTEs) but new Lara irritated the crap out of me & the inexperienced frightened Lara didn't remotely match the ninja killing machine in the gameplay.

I very much enjoyed confident and polite but unsociable Lara from TR/Anniversary who very much had a character even if they didn't beat you over the head with it.
  • Rhaegyr 3 Jul 2013 12:57:12 1,844 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There were tombs in the game?

I didn't come across any - a few odd rooms though and a puzzle if you're lucky.

Hated the constant hand holding in this game - could've been great if it gave you the reigns, but instead it's just another riff on Uncharted with little identity of its own.

Conversely, I really liked Lara's character in this one, though that may be by contrast as the rest of them were god awful.
  • DjFlex52 3 Jul 2013 18:34:59 140 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    There were tombs in the game?

I didn't come across any - a few odd rooms though and a puzzle if you're lucky.

Hated the constant hand holding in this game - could've been great if it gave you the reigns, but instead it's just another riff on Uncharted with little identity of its own.

Conversely, I really liked Lara's character in this one, though that may be by contrast as the rest of them were god awful.
    I guess they didn't hold your hand enough if you missed all the tombs.

Uncharted's identity was formed from Tomb Raider and schlocky Raiders Of The Lost Ark clones
  • Rhaegyr 3 Jul 2013 18:38:52 1,844 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I found all the optional 'tombs' - my point being that they were poor excuses for tombs, and barely consisted of more than a couple of rooms (if that).

Uncharted did borrow a lot from Tomb Raider but now it seems the games have come full circle, with this latest TR being very similar in many aspects to the Uncharted series.

If it's any consolation I thought the Uncharted series held your hand far too often too.
  • MrSensible 3 Jul 2013 19:19:51 25,070 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    See, the tombs being that small was utterly perfect. I WANT to do one or two tasks to complete them, I don't have the desire, or the time, to get stuck on something for weeks and weeks these days. They made you think, but not to the point of frustration.
  • Rhaegyr 3 Jul 2013 19:26:38 1,844 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Perfect for you sure - I would've liked something a bit more comprehensive and old school though. Didn't feel taxed in the puzzles and I'm usually not great with those either - they seemed to be basic balance/physics puzzles that Half-Life 2 did nearly ten years ago. I even thought the puzzles in Guardian of Light were more tricky.

As always, different strokes I guess. I don't doubt people loved it and I'm not trying to change any minds - it was just a little disappointing for me when I feel there's the basis for a GREAT game underneath somewhere. Roll on TR2.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 19:26:57 03-07-2013
  • King_Edward 3 Jul 2013 20:23:08 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:

Conversely, I thought she blew hard. At least for my brief stint with the game. She was stuck in the old PSOne days of conveying emotion.

Lara sad? Lara cry,
    Lara happy? Lara smile,
    Lara angry? Lara shout!

Compared to the Walking Dead, which had a lot less to work with, characters were able to convey subtle, or even hidden emotions. I tend to feel more empathy for a character if I can see they're holding back their tears, or suppressing a smile.
  • Rhaegyr 3 Jul 2013 21:09:15 1,844 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    She wasn't amazing by any stretch but I thought it was at least competently done.

If anything it's a nice little break from the norm of white male american protagonist.

Edit - She develops throughout the game, nothing drastic but some nice character building stuff. I didn't really like the game that much though so I can't fully recommend playing it to see it ha!

Edited by Rhaegyr at 21:10:24 03-07-2013
  • telboy007 9 Jul 2013 13:47:06 522 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bought this as it was going "cheap" as part of the xbox live sale and I was very surprised indeed at how much I enjoyed it.

The things that were disappointing, the white highlighting on stuff that you can climb, etc - far too much hand holding for me there. Also the optional tombs were a bit on the short side.

But yeah... very enjoyable.

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• ZuluHero 9 Jul 2013 15:00:09 4,175 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    I found all the optional 'tombs' - my point being that they were poor excuses for tombs, and barely consisted of more than a couple of rooms (if that).

Uncharted did borrow a lot from Tomb Raider but now it seems the games have come full circle, with this latest TR being very similar in many aspects to the Uncharted series.

If it's any consolation I thought the Uncharted series held your hand far too often too.
    You do know that a large part of the island is a tomb (for the sun queen)?
  • spamdangled 25 Jul 2013 03:05:50 27,362 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished it today and after the halfway point it just becomes a cover shooter. Non-stop waves of enemies that descend into you taking cover behind yet another conveniently-placed waist-high object and taking pot shots when the enemies pop out of cover. The whole game funnels you along an incredibly linear path, giving only the barest freedom to go off the beaten track. The whole game is corridor - cutscene - slightly larger closed environment awash with enemies and conveniently placed cover - corridor - cutscene - slightly larger closed environment awash with enemies and conveniently placed cover - QTE! - corridor.

The more I think about it, the more the game also resembles Far Cry 3 - another game which was ok but was the blatant product of a few businessmen in a meeting room looking at sales figures and metacritic and plucking mechanics from all over the place. Levelling up? Check. Loads of shitty cutscenes? Check. QTE's? Check, double check, triple check. Upgrading weapons via loot obtained from downed enemies? Check. Tropical island? Check. Shipwrecked friends (a geeky man, a sassy take-no-shit black woman, a damsel in distress and a surfer dude who with a spiritual side) in need of saving from insane island inhabitants? Check. Notes and artifacts inexplicably scattered everywhere? Check. Bolted-on multiplayer? Check.

As I said before, it's an ok game and I got some enjoyment out of it, but the whole thing just felt like a massive corporate box-ticking product, lacking in soul and genuine love, created in order to satisfy the need to continue using the trademark and satisfy their "blockbuster game" quota for the year.

Edited by darkmorgado at 03:11:17 25-07-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Phattso Moderator 25 Jul 2013 03:40:08 13,351 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's not doubt that the features took a good look at the rest of the market and made sure the boxes were ticked, but I thought there was a great deal of detail, care and attention throughout the game.

It was quite funneled, for sure, but some locations were impressively expansive and even the older Tomb Raiders weren't exactly open worlds with dozens of branches. I also found some of the collectible side tasks in the new TR to be quite enjoyable, and let me get a lot more mileage out of various locations that I might not otherwise have done while also fleshing out characters and motives.

Focusing on the island as a prime location also let the game have far more of a sense of place, which is actually worth a lot to me. Globetrotting is all well and good, but it seems to suit less personal experiences.

It definitely got too combat heavy by the end, but I got so much glee from using that crossbow that I didn't care so much. :)

I only say all this because, despite finishing the game a month or two ago, and not being entirely blown away myself, I find myself hankering for another playthrough already. That hasn't happened to me for quite a while.
  • anon_ 25 Jul 2013 04:15:06 211 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In the next Tomb Raider, can we just explore and solve puzzles please, with only the lightest touch of story for context?

I don't need heavy-handed cinematics
    I don't need rivers of blood derived from gunplay
    I don't need to be funneled down corridors

Just good ole Tomb Raiding will be fine, thank you very much. That's why I traded this shit in, not even reaching halfway. Regret that I even caved and bought it in the first place..
  • spamdangled 25 Jul 2013 08:24:11 27,362 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    anon_ wrote:
    In the next Tomb Raider, can we just explore and solve puzzles please, with only the lightest touch of story for context?

I don't need heavy-handed cinematics
    I don't need rivers of blood derived from gunplay
    I don't need to be funneled down corridors

Just good ole Tomb Raiding will be fine, thank you very much. That's why I traded this shit in, not even reaching halfway. Regret that I even caved and bought it in the first place..
    Strangely, I found that despite the percentage marker saying you were about halfway through, the rest of the game whizzed by so fast that in retrospect I was probably about 3/4 of the way through it. From the beach to the end was probably only about 2-3 hours.

• dr_swin 25 Jul 2013 09:01:55 4,892 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My main complaint was that some of the environments looked utterly ridiculous by the end with all the ropes stretching across them. Especially the beach one.
  • DUFFMAN5 25 Jul 2013 10:20:09 14,791 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm a good few hours into this now (around 45% via stats) and I'm enjoying it well enough, nothing more, it is not making me want or have to turn on the 360.

I think my problem is not the game itself but the fact since playing and completing The Last Of Us I have very little interest in gaming. I think it is mainly the heat. I only tend to play for an hour or so during the day and then have a "session" every other evening, but just can't get the enthusiasm for it, or at least the game that makes me simply have to play.

Likewise I found FUSE ok, but nothing to get me gaming juices flowing. I like a lot of what TR does, not forgetting I hated the original games due to total wank control system (I love the original RE games in spite of the same thing!)
    it is very much an action adventure game, looks nice (360) and controls well. I think once I complete it I will forget it soon, however I would defo look out for TR2.

EDIT:
    One thing it does really well is allowing you to go back to areas once you upgrade and then get into different rooms, doors etc that were "locked" before

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 11:22:11 25-07-2013

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• chrisno21 25 Jul 2013 12:55:35 1,516 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hasn't clicked with me yet. Played about 3 hours over the weekend and haven't wanted to go back in yet.

Naughty dog ruined this by making better games that this is trying to emulate. I make no apologies saying that I'm a big fan of the uncharted series, but it's the storytelling of the last of us that emphasises how rubbish the 'plot' in this is.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• beastmaster 25 Jul 2013 13:15:55 11,449 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game.

Now, it looks as though they're doing a comic which leads into the gaming sequel. I kind of thought it would get one but not necessarily due to the number of copies sold.

They have to keep interest in the franchise going for when the new film is released or we get some proper information on it.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Page

of 78 First / Last