Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 67

• Page

of 77 First / Last

• Scimarad 1 Apr 2013 06:00:07 8,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Pepsipop

Self-preservation? By the end of the game there are about 3 separate occasions where, after sneaking around and stealthily shooting people in the head for the whole area, she catches up to guy she's been desperately trying to find (a couple of times practically alone!) and...basically sits and listens to the guy until he gets out of reach again. In a film it would be bad writing, in a game it's bad writing and contrary to how the player has probably been acting. I really did find it intensely irritating.

Anyway, finished it now. I really enjoyed the gameplay for the most part but I'm not really sure I'd buy a sequel if one was made. The whole gritty 'survivor story' thing just seems at odds with the actual gameplay and I can't say I really cared that much about how the whole thing would be resolved. So basically, I liked it while I playing it but have no urge to play another one.
  • Kostabi 1 Apr 2013 18:56:19 4,903 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah for fucks sake. I was happily plodding along thinking that they had got the balance between shooting and adventure just right when I'm plonked into a walled off maze like town and made to fight roughly a million enemies.

It just seems completely at odds with everything that preceded it. Bah.
  • magicpanda 1 Apr 2013 20:51:17 13,336 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished it and really enjoyed it.

The duel wielding pistols foreshadowing and when she actually used them raised a smile. :)

Would love to see another but with more chilled out, beard stroking Tomb Raiding.

Edited by magicpanda at 20:52:07 01-04-2013
  • FWB 1 Apr 2013 21:09:07 44,208 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is this an open world? Sorry, read sod all.
  • Deleted user 1 April 2013 21:44:59
    It's hub world ish like Zelda.
  • Pinky_Floyd 1 Apr 2013 21:55:21 7,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    Ah for fucks sake. I was happily plodding along thinking that they had got the balance between shooting and adventure just right when I'm plonked into a walled off maze like town and made to fight roughly a million enemies.

How far into it are you?

I'm about 6-7 hours and hit a similar point before and after getting the grenade launcher.  This is worrying me because if the game is so heavily weighted towards combat now, its likely to just get worse.

The cut scenes have been far too numerous and take me out of the game so much that I mostly skip them, they aren't all that good.   

Its an extremely generic game, though highly polished, looks good and also controls really nicely.

I don't think its quite up there with either Uncharted 2 or 3 which is fairly obviously the inspiration.

In short, I'm finding it a mixed bag and currently pondering if its worth my very limited and precious time just to spend another 6 hours in combat against ever increasing odds.
  • Pinky_Floyd 1 Apr 2013 22:19:09 7,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Kostabi wrote:

How far into it are you?

I'm about 6-7 hours and hit a similar point before and after getting the grenade launcher.  This is worrying me because if the game is so heavily weighted towards combat now, its likely to just get worse.
    Believe me, it does get worse.

I've made my point clear before and I'll say it again, there was far too much prolonged combat. It was totally Unnecessary.
    Its a bit of a shame.  With more emphasis on discovery and less, but more imaginative combat scenarios the game would really have benefitted.

But it sold fooking buckets, so this is what we will get for the next few installments until sales drop off again and review scores dwindle. 

Close, but not quite close enough for me at this point. 
  • Syrette 1 Apr 2013 22:24:06 43,295 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Er, didn't it fail to reach its sales target?

• Pinky_Floyd 1 Apr 2013 22:29:09 7,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Really?  I stand corrected then, I was under the impression this had sold handsomely. 
  • King_Edward 1 Apr 2013 22:30:40 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    Really?  I stand corrected then, I was under the impression this had sold handsomely. 
    It's both failed to reach its target, and is the fastest selling TR game ever.
  • Pinky_Floyd 1 Apr 2013 22:32:49 7,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    It's both failed to reach its target, and is the fastest selling TR game ever.
    Ah, so a simple matter of excessively high targets then.  I believe it has sold over 3.5 million in a relatively short space of time.  I do think that qualifies has having sold handsomely :)
  • bladdard 1 Apr 2013 23:46:51 924 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just finished and really enjoyed it. The hemmed in combat situations and lack of stealth irked me a little and the crap implementation of QTE's caused me more than enough insta-deaths but all in all a great game.

My favourite bits were the visuals and the survival horror theme, the atmosphere was pretty heavy at times, great tension without going for cheap jump out of your skin fake scares dead space style.

Is it better than Uncharted??? The combat is mostly especially the cover mechanism. The graphics are on a par, not quite as colourful but still lovely. The dialog, plot and animation is inferior but Tomb Raider has miles better exploration than the Uncharted games.
  • MatMan562 2 Apr 2013 00:22:39 2,399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I finished this a day or two ago and I really loved it. Personally, I don't think the problem is that there's too much combat just that there are too many times when you're forced to "go loud". I think if they cut out the few times you're essentially playing a horde mode and made stealth an option for every fight it would have been vastly improved. It would have also been nice if you could completely avoid some fights, maybe with some tough platforming alternate routes that if you screwed up would land you right inbetween a few enemies. Also, get rid of 'Detective mode' or whatever this ones called.

If they do all of that, have some proper tombs and keep everything else pretty much the same in the sequel it could end up being my perfect game. This one was probably a 9/10 for me but I think an 8 is what most people would score it.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Telepathic.Geometry 2 Apr 2013 07:02:00 11,292 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished this a week or so ago, and have just to polish off the little challenges to really get that OCD feeling of completion. ^-^ Overall, I really really liked it. I'd love for a sequel to focus more on puzzling sections and tombs than the combat, but it didn't piss me off...

Overall, I'd probably score it a 9/10. Pretty good in almost every area, fun combat, fun puzzling, interesting story, and a nice transformation into the Tomb Raider. I'd say that the next time around they could use the capital that they have built up to build more elaborate tombs and whatnot. The combat doesn't need too much now, maybe play with the dual wielding pistols or some shit...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• krushing 2 Apr 2013 08:11:40 777 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bladdard wrote:
    The combat is mostly especially the cover mechanism.
    The cover mechanism - or rather the lack of a separate mechanism - is certainly a silent triumph in a way. It could be sligthly more "interactive" in regards to what you're hunkering behind at a given moment, but in general that's how it should be done. Too bad the enemies are a bit too aware of your location most of the time, so the Uncharted style of weaving in and out of open combat rarely works out - you can't really mix stealth into it very much once you've been spotted or fired a gun.
  • ardamillo 2 Apr 2013 09:24:39 521 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes that annoyed me too - especially enemies that keep lobbing dynamite at your feet from the other end of the level.

Personally I thought the combat was tedious and there was far too much of it.
  • King_Edward 2 Apr 2013 09:51:07 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's very much in line with the first Uncharted game for combat. Very basic and inoffensive, but no stand out idea's.
  • kalel 2 Apr 2013 09:57:00 86,904 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just started playing it. Am about 5 hours in. As with Unchartered and Ico and Assassins Creed etc, all the fun is in the platforming bits. Baffles me that these devs can't see that.
  • estoo 2 Apr 2013 10:46:53 2,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished it.

Enjoyed it for what it was but WHERE THE HELL ARE THE PUZZLES!?

Romped through the whole thing without getting stuck once including doing all the optional tombs (which were insultingly easy).

Wish there was a lot less shooting and a lot more lonely puzzle solving.
    It's trying too hard to be Uncharted.

Currently playing through TR4 on my phone, I really miss the old style.
  • kalel 2 Apr 2013 10:52:40 86,904 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    estoo wrote:
    It's trying too hard to be Uncharted.
    And everything else (Ass Creed, Far Cry 3, Gears etc).

It's the most homogenised game I've ever played. Everything in it was 'borrowed' from something else. I couldn't quite believe it when I found myself scaling a crashed plane for example. Was that actually supposed to be a quote or something.

It's very good, but it's just a shame that there's nothing there to call its own. The only unique thing it has going for it is Lara, who is nicely characterised and I do get a sense of her being a meaningful character rather than just a a blank avatar, but there is defining Tomb Raider" essence to this game. It's just a hybrid of lots of other current successful games.
  • krushing 3 Apr 2013 12:03:51 777 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Then again, I doubt Uncharted - for example - would exist as it is if it weren't for the preceding Tomb Raider games. The Circle of Borrowing gathers strenght!

Edited by krushing at 12:04:10 03-04-2013
  • Deleted user 3 April 2013 12:11:12
    I just completed it this morning. Impressions i have are pretty much the same as everyones on this page . I avoioded this thread to basically form my impression without being influenced.

I loved the atmosphere, the visuals and the general direction of the game. The combat sometimes went to loud as someone else said. Some of the stealthy stuff, and the bow i actually really enjoyed.

what really irked me though, were the scripted bits - they got to much and illogical. You just happen to get to a to b by paths formed by freak events far to often. I didn't really get this from the UC series at all and by the end it really started to grate and just pulled me out of the action altogether, in which the game did such a good job getting me into it in the first place.

I do feel like i am nit picking though, its like i love this game, but feel slightly dissapointed at the same time. A flawed good un.
  • muttler 3 Apr 2013 12:23:47 3,982 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm about 2-3 hours in. Tbh, I dont like it that much. It's very well put together and amazing graphics, but I dont really like exploring around at the moment. I dont like the QTE's or the scripted bits.

Uncharted was great because it had really great characters. This Lara Croft is cool and everything, but this isnt the Tomb Raider and therefore not the Lara Croft that I'm familiar with. A surprising thing about LC:GOL was that despite being a completely different type of game, actually somehow managed to capture a Tomb Raider vibe. This just doesn't have a Tomb Raider vibe imo.

I would have prefered a sequel to Legends/Underworld tbh.
  • khaz 3 Apr 2013 12:25:31 2,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /hands out the split down the middle hats to the new comers

:)
  • Deleted user 3 April 2013 12:32:28
    For me it does have the TR vibe, but it just there in fleeting moments. You are on a massive fuck of island, with no doubt massive things to explore, but you just sort of ride past them on a tour bus. Its only scratching the surface of a convential tomb raider game, but it is an origin story so i can excuse it for that.

Thought it handled the bigger myth connected with a trying to survive thing fairly well.
  • King_Edward 3 Apr 2013 13:03:25 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    muttler wrote:

I would have prefered a sequel to Legends/Underworld tbh.
    In spirit, yeah, but I really think they needed to get away from that story.
  • EMarkM 5 Apr 2013 15:04:35 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was confused, but at least this time it's justified!

I kept seeing two different art styles for the new Lara, all the way thoughout the buildup to the new game being released.

Just who WAS that more Sandra-Bullock-like Lara supposed to be? I think the image even made Edge's front cover, but it seems to be the more classic Lara that made it into the game.

Eh?
  • khaz 5 Apr 2013 16:31:54 2,780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This might cover that question Mark.

khaz wrote:
    Concepts and ideas CD discarded before making this Tomb Raider.

I'm actually feeling irritated now.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/18/cara-loft-tomb-raider-concept-raiding/#more-146167
    Edited by khaz at 16:33:33 05-04-20

Edited by khaz at 16:36:18 05-04-2013
  • EMarkM 6 Apr 2013 22:18:24 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @khaz Hey, thanks for that, some interesting stuff in there!

Posting from phone, so this might not work, but the Lara that seems to have gone missing is this one:-

http://www.pixelenemy.com/all-tomb-raider-dlc-to-be-multiplayer-based/
  • Page

of 77 First / Last