• Page

of 76 First / Last

• King_Edward 17 Mar 2013 15:03:46 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I think that's why they stuck the more 'taxing' puzzles in optional tombs though, to go some way towards that equilibrium.
    I thought those were the ones we were talking about.
    Yes and that's why they were in non-critical tombs. Players who felt comfortable with the difficulty of them could try and solve them, likewise players that found them too difficult could just leave them alone and carry on with the game. That's why there is nothing too taxing on the critical path.
    No. I mean I thought the optional tombs were the ones we were saying were too easy.
  • Darth_Flibble 17 Mar 2013 16:00:04 1,506 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All the tombs are easy, first optional one I found, just needed to get the timing down with the gusts of widn but once you did its easy. Sadly game designers have to make the games for people who hate puzzles
  • RyanDS 17 Mar 2013 16:19:23 8,699 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I think that's why they stuck the more 'taxing' puzzles in optional tombs though, to go some way towards that equilibrium.
    Yes and that's why they were in non-critical tombs. Players who felt comfortable with the difficulty of them could try and solve them, likewise players that found them too difficult could just leave them alone and carry on with the game. That's why there is nothing too taxing on the critical path.
    No. I mean I thought the optional tombs were the ones we were saying were too easy.
    I don't think there was a single actual puzzle in the game that took more than 20 seconds of thought.

I'm not saying we should go back to Tomb Raider 2 where I was stuck for a week and spent hours upon hours trying to figure out something, but it would be nice to take a break from the action.
  • xuiton 17 Mar 2013 16:23:08 286 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    played the first 30 mins at my gfs. game felt like uncharted through and through.

game tells you where everything is, where to go and what to do next in a thin corridor.

i guess its fun but not massively impressed.
  • ZuluHero 17 Mar 2013 20:00:10 3,661 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Yeah they were. But my point was that the only real 'puzzles' in the game are in the optional tombs. My comment(s) were in response to Goodfella saying about how it would be nice for developers to provide options and alternatives for all players which, too easy or not, CD have tried to do with TR. It's up to you how you play, I think you can agree that most if not all people could blast through the story line without too much trouble, and likewise those (like us) who want more adventure and (a little) puzzle solving can choose to spend the time searching out those challenges (those optional tombs).

Though next time lets hope they give us slightly more taxing puzzles to solve, eh? :)

Edited by ZuluHero at 20:02:37 17-03-2013
  • warlockuk 17 Mar 2013 21:32:59 19,101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It definitely feels like Lara Croft in Uncharted rather than Tomb Raider - though I'm quite enjoying it. I like how the game looks and feels, the set pieces are cool and the combat's quite enjoyable - more so than previous Womb Raider games.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• L_Franko Moderator 18 Mar 2013 09:52:04 9,686 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Started this over the weekend and I'm getting on with it rather well.
    It does seem to hold your hand quite a lot (even though it would take some special kind skill to get lossed) and the puzzles are easier to solve than some of my belt buckles but I can't help crave another session on it. Good stuff.
  • Darren 18 Mar 2013 12:49:27 8,320 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I finished Tomb Raider on my PC yesterday afternoon with 92% completion and 22.5 hours of playtime according to Steam. The ending was a bit of a letdown (what game doesn't though?), especially the final 'boss', who wasn't what I expected at all but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed it and will replay through it on Hard.

On reflection the game did feel a bit short but maybe that's just an indication of just how good it was that it left me wanting more. My only real criticism is the lack of proper tombs to explore. The seven or so that were included would have been so much better if they'd been expanded to last several hours each IMO. The fact that they were optional would have given more incentive for replaying the game really.

I've not heard anything about single player DLC for this game either which is kind of ironic given that my current pet hate is publishers announcing DLC before the game is even out. In Tomb Raider's case, I would love to see some extra longer tombs or even another island to explore.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• WinterSnowblind 18 Mar 2013 13:19:51 1,190 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    xuiton wrote:
    played the first 30 mins at my gfs. game felt like uncharted through and through.

game tells you where everything is, where to go and what to do next in a thin corridor.

I find these comments to be rather odd. Did anyone play any of the past Tomb Raiders? Uncharted was basically Sony's take on that series, not the other way around.

There's more of a cinematic flair, which I guess you could say was probably influenced by Uncharted, but that could also just be down to the fact they were giving the time and money to make a good game this time, the polar opposite of what happened to them with TR: Underworld.

The hand holding is a bit annoying though. Early interviews and previews really played up the fact it would be an open world/survival style game and I get the feeling they dumbed a lot of those mechanics down some point during development.
  • khaz 19 Mar 2013 11:32:56 2,573 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Concepts and ideas CD discarded before making this Tomb Raider.

I'm actually feeling irritated now.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/18/cara-loft-tomb-raider-concept-raiding/#more-146167
  • DUFFKING 19 Mar 2013 12:02:29 6,489 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WinterSnowblind wrote:
    xuiton wrote:

I find these comments to be rather odd. Did anyone play any of the past Tomb Raiders? Uncharted was basically Sony's take on that series, not the other way around.
    Maybe it was influenced, but it really wasn't that alike. PoP:SoT was probably more along the TR lines. Uncharted was just a cover shooter with platforming. The first TR was almost entirely platforming and puzzles, the latter of which Uncharted has little of.

Edited by DUFFKING at 12:02:49 19-03-2013
  • Rhaegyr 19 Mar 2013 12:14:45 1,110 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pretty sure I'm near the end now and it's disappointing for me.

There's just no real challenge at all, from the gunplay to the laughably easy 'puzzles'. It doesn't help that every single interaction with the environment is flagged by whatever button needs to be pressed - overkill. Are people really going to forget how to light a torch or pull a lever?

It's basically Uncharted in how it lacks gameplay. Unlike Uncharted, it doesn't have a great story or characters to fall back on (save Lara herself) as you're rifling through set piece after set piece, pushing 'up' on the analogue and practically watching the game play itself.

I'm surprised about how many people are gushing over this - I thought more people would be frustrated in how the game does its' best to pull you out of the experience whenever it tries to get going.

As I've said in earlier posts, it's a shame, because when the game does let you play for an extended bit of time it's great - the environments are a lot of fun to explore.

Unfortunately CD's guidance over the player is just a little too heavy handed.
  • HarryPalmer 19 Mar 2013 12:17:35 2,630 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep. Sequel needs more isolation, better puzzles, less combat.
  • Goban 19 Mar 2013 13:56:05 8,996 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has that not been the criticism of pretty much all the TR games bar the first?
  • Deleted user 19 March 2013 19:41:02
    My favourite part has to be harvesting a boars arse for salvage.
  • ram 20 Mar 2013 09:21:00 3,466 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a very moreish game this, it's a lovely looking roller-coaster that only occasionally let's you throw your hands up in the air.

A great shame there weren't more levels like the beach were it opens up in front of you and is a bit of a playground.

The fact that the tombs (such as they are) are optional is a pretty sad state of affairs. It appears "Tomb Raider" is pronounced with a silent Tomb.

Still I've raced through it and always wanted to see what was coming next.
  • Lotos8ter 20 Mar 2013 09:25:02 2,324 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WeakOrbit wrote:
    My favourite part has to be harvesting a boars arse for salvage.
    And mine is chasing a chicken with an ice axe for 15xp and some salvage.

Fiat Lux

• L_Franko Moderator 20 Mar 2013 12:38:29 9,686 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm about 55% in now and still really enjoying it. There is a number of watch the scene and press the odd button now and then but I'm even enjoying those parts.

Once you have completed the game can you go back to look for all the collectables or does it need to be done while the story is still playing out?
  • Aretak 20 Mar 2013 12:46:33 10,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    Once you have completed the game can you go back to look for all the collectables or does it need to be done while the story is still playing out?
    You can do it all after the story's over. The enemies don't repopulate either, so you'll have the island to yourself when doing it.
  • HarryPalmer 20 Mar 2013 12:55:05 2,630 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Cappy 20 Mar 2013 12:56:17 11,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Question:

Can you play through the game without harming animals? Yeah, I know hippie. The first quest where you had to kill sheep in Nier gave me major problems.

I just don't foresee a scenario where I have to defend myself from a deer and I have severe qualms about killing things that aren't a threat.
  • L_Franko Moderator 20 Mar 2013 12:59:00 9,686 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    L_Franko wrote:
    You can do it all after the story's over. The enemies don't repopulate either, so you'll have the island to yourself when doing it.
    Excellent, cheers mate.
  • L_Franko Moderator 20 Mar 2013 13:01:54 9,686 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cappy
    I know what you mean and so far from my experience you wont have to kill anything that doesn't mean you harm.
    If you want achievements though you'll have to do some killing of birds, boar etc.

My problem is that I'll kill a rabbit or something then straight after see another one running away and I can't help but think it just killed his buddy.
  • King_Edward 20 Mar 2013 13:08:12 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Question:

Can you play through the game without harming animals? Yeah, I know hippie. The first quest where you had to kill sheep in Nier gave me major problems.

I just don't foresee a scenario where I have to defend myself from a deer and I have severe qualms about killing things that aren't a threat.
    You have to kill a deer and some wolves. The rest is optional.
  • Cappy 20 Mar 2013 13:13:50 11,704 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks.

This would be a tough game for me, it's equivalent to that self mutilation part in Heavy Rain in terms of horror.
  • ascue 20 Mar 2013 13:23:47 167 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The deer is a meat-eating deer though...
  • dominalien 20 Mar 2013 13:52:58 6,742 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's very vicious, too. A real threat.

PSN: DonOsito

• King_Edward 20 Mar 2013 14:16:58 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The wolves are lovely though. The QTE pup head stomping mini game felt very out of place.
  • Blotto 20 Mar 2013 14:20:04 2,511 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not having a go, but just for the debate..

Why do you have an issue killing animals in games but not shooting people in the face?
  • Page

of 76 First / Last