Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 6

  • Page

    of 77 First / Last

  • ecureuil 7 Dec 2010 03:03:25 76,699 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't know why reboots have got such a bad rep.

    They seem kind of played out now, but they've been more hit than miss (in movies and games). They give a chance to retain a great IP and tackle it from a different direction, and do things you couldn't normally get away with if you were tied to an already existing storyline and world. Tomb Raider needed a reboot, and I'm glad it's got one.

    Resident Evil next, please.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 03:07:57
    Post deleted
  • coda 7 Dec 2010 03:22:19 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Underworld was part brilliant, part shit. Strange game.

    Yeah I had the exact same feeling. I think some parts of the game really felt right although the mechanics and story were a bit meh.

    GOL was spot on, so I'm optimistic about this game. As I said, Tomb Raider at it's very best really gave you that sense of wonder and discovery.

    The level where you start on the boat was the most beautiful level of any game, ever. Fact.

    I actually was really, really enjoying Underworld until 2/3rds of the way into it I encountered a game destroying bug that meant it was impossible to complete the game.

    It was completely unacceptable and I don't think I'll ever be able to buy a Crystal Dynamics ever game again knowing that I could experience similar shoddy design. I just can't trust them now.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 03:22:27
    Res5 was a reboot and i have played it from its release to this day with an online friend as Sheva. It is a massively impressive game that rewards skill and has a million calculations going on under the surface. Play it wrong and you will suck, play it right and you will get the satisfaction of beating a truly difficult game in a sea of dumbed down shooters. I love it.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 03:24:57
    coda wrote:
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Underworld was part brilliant, part shit. Strange game.
    Yeah I had the exact same feeling. I think some parts of the game really felt right although the mechanics and story were a bit meh.

    GOL was spot on, so I'm optimistic about this game. As I said, Tomb Raider at it's very best really gave you that sense of wonder and discovery.
    The level where you start on the boat was the most beautiful level of any game, ever. Fact.

    I actually was really, really enjoying Underworld until 2/3rds of the way into it I encountered a game destroying bug that meant it was impossible to complete the game.

    It was completely unacceptable and I don't think I'll ever be able to buy a Crystal Dynamics ever game again knowing that I could experience similar shoddy design. I just can't trust them now.

    I believe there was a patch, & see my earlier post about the guy making your game dying. But i understand your frustration.
  • coda 7 Dec 2010 03:27:50 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cheekybyname wrote:
    coda wrote:
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Underworld was part brilliant, part shit. Strange game.

    Yeah I had the exact same feeling. I think some parts of the game really felt right although the mechanics and story were a bit meh.

    GOL was spot on, so I'm optimistic about this game. As I said, Tomb Raider at it's very best really gave you that sense of wonder and discovery.

    The level where you start on the boat was the most beautiful level of any game, ever. Fact.

    I actually was really, really enjoying Underworld until 2/3rds of the way into it I encountered a game destroying bug that meant it was impossible to complete the game.

    It was completely unacceptable and I don't think I'll ever be able to buy a Crystal Dynamics ever game again knowing that I could experience similar shoddy design. I just can't trust them now.


    I believe there was a patch, & see my earlier post about the guy making your game dying. But i understand your frustration.

    I played the game atleast 6 months after it was released so I can't believe it took them that long to fix such a obvious, unacceptable bug.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 03:30:51
    Well f*ck em then. Bastards.
  • Bombonera 7 Dec 2010 03:39:27 344 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A picture of a woman who looks like she has been beaten up doesn't really do anything for me. :/
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 03:55:26
    Well to be fair she looks more like she's about to carry on beating you up than in a state of being beaten up, and i'd be almost willing to get on board with that ;S
  • ecureuil 7 Dec 2010 03:59:00 76,699 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cheekybyname wrote:
    Res5 was a reboot

    Uhh.. no it wasn't. It was a continuation of the story that started in the very first game. In no way is it a reboot.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 04:45:26
    I see your point. I was thinking along the lines of co-op, new setting in Africa, new character of Sheva etc but i guess it was more of a side step than a reboot.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 05:09:37
    And it was shit and dumbed down so double fail :)
  • Lukey__b 7 Dec 2010 08:42:34 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought it was just a continuation of 4's more shooty gameplay.

    I hated it.

    I'd like it rebooted back to 2.

    'Sup, what's guanine?

  • Jazzy_Geoff 7 Dec 2010 08:49:18 7,767 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    reboot
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 08:50:08
    does it still star laura croft?
  • FightingMongoose 7 Dec 2010 09:13:22 496 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm super excited about this. I'm not a HUGE fan of the Tomb Raider games (haven't played Underworld and only a few levels of Legend) but I love the concept, third-person adventure games in general and the character of Lara. The bullet points in Game Informer make the game sound like it'll be really interesting - and I really like the art that's been released.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 09:21:25
    Very exciting news, but please don't fuck it up by making her American.
  • robthehermit 7 Dec 2010 09:32:09 4,030 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll be up for some of this. Could be very good.

    GT: robthehermit

    Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 14:46:41
    So this is a *proper* Nolan's Batman-style reboot then? Good.

    I hope there will be a minimum 90:10 exploration to combat ratio in this, it'd be nice to play an adventure game where base violence isn't the main mechanic for progression. I won't hold my breath though..
  • ecureuil 7 Dec 2010 14:57:38 76,699 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Problem is, 90% of gamers get bored if they have to go more than a few minutes without killing something.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 7 Dec 2010 15:00:05 7,767 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd say a game which relied purely on exploration for 90% of its content would be one big fucking game
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 15:05:56
    Dunno if this has been posted but..

    possibly in game shots
  • Jazzy_Geoff 7 Dec 2010 15:07:44 7,767 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fap
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 15:10:21
    ecureuil wrote:
    Problem is, 90% of gamers get bored if they have to go more than a few minutes without killing something.
    I dunno, I reckon there's a bigger market than you'd think for a proper exploration-adventure-based game, particularly when the Tomb Raider name is attatched.

    Not a perfect example, but take the old Splinter Cell games. They demanded stealth and patience over gunplay most of the time, and found an audience just fine.
  • ecureuil 7 Dec 2010 15:14:13 76,699 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, there is a market for it. I've wanted a game like that for years. Even something like Just Cause 2, I find most of my enjoyment from exploring the game world. When I have to start killing things, I get a bit bored.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Dec 2010 15:14:55 23,823 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    onu wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Problem is, 90% of gamers get bored if they have to go more than a few minutes without killing something.
    I dunno, I reckon there's a bigger market than you'd think for a proper exploration-adventure-based game, particularly when the Tomb Raider name is attatched.

    Not a perfect example, but take the old Splinter Cell games. They demanded stealth and patience over gunplay most of the time, and found an audience just fine.

    Heh, the fact that it just changed must mean something though.

    Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

  • Nexus_6 7 Dec 2010 15:19:57 3,876 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Yeah, there is a market for it. I've wanted a game like that for years. Even something like Just Cause 2, I find most of my enjoyment from exploring the game world. When I have to start killing things, I get a bit bored.

    For me, alot of the boredom is because there is basically one or 2 ways to kill people, where there a thousand different ways to explore a world, if it is laid out well.

    Press X or down and X or up and X to kill the bad guy, versus exploring in whatever way takes your fancy.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2010 15:31:55
    ecureuil wrote:
    Yeah, there is a market for it. I've wanted a game like that for years. Even something like Just Cause 2, I find most of my enjoyment from exploring the game world. When I have to start killing things, I get a bit bored
    Case in point, the Uncharted games. They set up such beautiful, atmospheric and interesting locales, ripe for exploration.

    Then they go and stain them with shitty, uninteresting gun combat.

    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Heh, the fact that it [Splinter Cell] just changed must mean something though.
    Yeah, it means they're cretins, chasing after a mass market 'hit', instead of being satisfied with decent sales.

    And then the industry wonders why no-one takes it seriously as a source of art, when the art so often gives way to appealing towards the lowest common denominator possible.

    Nexus 6 wrote:
    For me, alot of the boredom is because there is basically one or 2 ways to kill people, where there a thousand different ways to explore a world, if it is laid out well.
    Exactly. Batman: Arkham Asylum, for example (and I know it had a decent amount of fisticuffs, but I was fine with it), was constantly evolving and stayed fresh throughout. Whereas Call of Duty bores me to tears, it's just a linear crap shoot with changing scenery that rinses and repeats for hours...
  • Nexus_6 7 Dec 2010 15:41:41 3,876 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    onu wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Yeah, there is a market for it. I've wanted a game like that for years. Even something like Just Cause 2, I find most of my enjoyment from exploring the game world. When I have to start killing things, I get a bit bored
    Case in point, the Uncharted games. They set up such beautiful, atmospheric and interesting locales, ripe for exploration.

    Then they go and stain them with shitty, uninteresting gun combat.

    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Heh, the fact that it [Splinter Cell] just changed must mean something though.
    Yeah, it means they're cretins, chasing after a mass market 'hit', instead of being satisfied with decent sales.

    And then the industry wonders why no-one takes it seriously as a source of art, when the art so often gives way to appealing towards the lowest common denominator possible.

    Nexus 6 wrote:
    For me, alot of the boredom is because there is basically one or 2 ways to kill people, where there a thousand different ways to explore a world, if it is laid out well.
    Exactly. Batman: Arkham Asylum, for example (and I know it had a decent amount of fisticuffs, but I was fine with it), was constantly evolving and stayed fresh throughout. Whereas Call of Duty bores me to tears, it's just a linear crap shoot with changing scenery that rinses and repeats for hours...

    Again, for me, it goes back to the days of the Speccy. Playing the game wasn't so much about beating it, or setting a new high score - it was playing to advance, to see the next screen and what the graphics were doing. The game play was the price to pay and the reward was the next glorious screen of amazing graphics.

    Stick in some big titted wench and you get the fucking sublime Tomb Raider
  • Machetazo 10 Dec 2010 09:38:12 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not sure if this is just the print text, but read from "Iconography of Lara Croft", to the bottom of the page, as a clear indication that CD are heading the right way towards achieving their aim.

    I like, too, that they admit that they initially intended to work on a sequel to Underworld, but as things developed, they realised that wasn't the best thing to do, so they went right back and are now proceeding along this route.

    making her feel like a scrapper of sorts, even though she will always find a way through her self-determination. She will find a way to survive even if she doesnít have Amazonian proportions in the game. The emphasis on acrobatics isnít nearly as important as the fact that she is capable.
    - That's inspiring, because the combat was increasingly a weak point in TR.

    My next thing that I am anticipating for this, is to see the "neutral" pose of the animated in-game character. I'm keen to see how their intentions and designs are going to translate in the game. Even without background art assets. I think it was a brilliant idea, to go with that GI cover, to properly introduce the character, and concept, establish a tone, following the "A survivor is born" prelude tease. No rush, I just look forward to seeing them pull this off.

    slickloose wrote:
    Dunno if this has been posted but..

    possibly in game shots
    The lighting, and layers of dirt and damp look amazing, especially in the page with the "Desperation" title :o
  • Page

    of 77 First / Last

Log in or register to reply