Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 50

• Page

of 77 First / Last

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 9 Mar 2013 18:43:26 2,431 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maybe my overall dislike is clouding my judgement of the things I've stated I disliked about it. I do remember the characters being very cliched and the script was incredible cheesy and predictable.
    Perhaps theres even a little of me that wants to dislike it even further as its fashionable to love it.
    I dunno. Overall though, in my opinion Uncharted was wank.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Deleted user 9 March 2013 18:44:31
    Cex rock, 27 quid :) cost me 3 quid for 15 hours of pure pleasure. Never played more than two games of mp, seemed okay but I have gears, halo and bf3 if I want to kill people online.
  • alexm 9 Mar 2013 19:04:37 247 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Uncharted was always intended to be pulpy and I think that gave the story charm rather than making it cheesy.

Whilst I'm enjoying Tomb Raider's mechanics immensely and would like to see aspects incorporated into a new Uncharted - the supporting cast are only slightly better than the dire characterisation in Far Cry 3 - yes sassy, finger-clicking black lady - I'm looking at you. It also lacks a decent villain and the dialogue feels poorly written - Uncharted's is better IMHO as there are fewer instances where characters tell themselves/each other what you've just seen/are seeing on screen, and the general delivery is far better.

As for the general gameplay, I've just got to the ship-wrecked beachsite which is a nice break from all the shooting. I spent a few hours today reexploring the mountain temple region and it was a joy to get around once you've set up a lot of rope connections.

Edited by alexm at 19:06:07 09-03-2013
  • Deleted user 9 March 2013 19:10:55
    Post deleted
  • Dr.Haggard 9 Mar 2013 19:22:54 4,140 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone suggesting the script/voice acting/characterisation is better in this than Uncharted is either several relics short of a full set or trolling. Whatever you think of this game, that's clearly crazy talk.
  • Syrette 9 Mar 2013 19:24:20 43,104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Cex rock, 27 quid :) cost me 3 quid for 15 hours of pure pleasure. Never played more than two games of mp, seemed okay but I have gears, halo and bf3 if I want to kill people online.
    Why don't you just rent games?

I understand the mindset of those who like to buy, keep and collect games but the ones who buy then trade should just rent instead.

• Stranded87 9 Mar 2013 19:38:49 858 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Uncharted has slightly better voice acting and scripting than this (though only slightly, the voice acting in this is still pretty good and the writing in uncharted is fun but very pulpy). Uncharted also has better graphics and set pieces imo (the second one anyway).

But I think the overall gameplay in TR trumps it. It's certainly a lot more varied.
  • griff_dai 9 Mar 2013 20:07:48 412 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Uncharted has slightly better voice acting and scripting than this (though only slightly, the voice acting in this is still pretty good and the writing in uncharted is fun but very pulpy). Uncharted also has better graphics and set pieces imo (the second one anyway).

But I think the overall gameplay in TR trumps it. It's certainly a lot more varied.
    I would agree with this in relation Uncharted 2, the 3rd one is shite in comparison. Still not finished this yet, so will hold off on my final opinion.....
  • Mr-Brett 9 Mar 2013 20:19:49 12,723 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    I would agree the combat is probably better in TR, that's about it though.

I think both games are guilty of too much shooting though, or at least sections where there are too many enemies and it drags on too long.
    In Tomb Raider the combat is at least pretty easy, there were very few occasions where I was killed by enemies and they felt like it was purely my fault for getting really cocky. There is too much combat (just like Uncharted) but I felt by making it not too hard they stopped it being the frustrating and a block to the rest of the game (something Uncharted 3 in particular is very guilty of).

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deleted user 9 March 2013 20:29:37
    Syrette wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:

I understand the mindset of those who like to buy, keep and collect games but the ones who buy then trade should just rent instead.
    Because if I buy and trade I don't have a five day decline to complete.
  • Dr.Haggard 9 Mar 2013 20:32:59 4,140 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    the voice acting in this is still pretty good
    Why do people keep saying this? I'm genuinely baffled, because I'm hearing accents all over the place and generally pretty amateurish acting.

Lara is ok, but not great, and the rest of them are dreadful - particularly Roth and Grim who can't even decide from one line to the next what accent they're supposed to be doing.
  • King_Edward 9 Mar 2013 21:08:07 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I suppose you can have a well voiced stereotype.
  • Maturin 9 Mar 2013 21:23:51 2,890 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I like Lara, I think that's a good performance. I especially like her mantra of "I can do this". It carries plenty of emotional weight in few words.

But I think much of the rest of the cast is poor, though the script is more to blame. I don't think Rihanna Pratchet has done a great job with it. The game is a success despite the ropey plotting/dialogue rather than because of it.
  • Deleted user 9 March 2013 21:42:02
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Why do people keep saying this? I'm genuinely baffled, because I'm hearing accents all over the place and generally pretty amateurish acting.

Lara is ok, but not great, and the rest of them are dreadful - particularly Roth and Grim who can't even decide from one line to the next what accent they're supposed to be doing.
    Because you're not Barry fucking Norman and other people have their own opinion?
  • Deleted user 9 March 2013 21:54:22
    @Goodfella

Yes, especially the ones whining in a gaming forum.
  • Syrette 9 Mar 2013 22:18:30 43,104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:

Because if I buy and trade I don't have a five day decline to complete.
    So get on Lovefilm then, like I've advised you to many times.

And even if you do rent from a Blockbuster store you can keep it for more than 5 days - they just charge you 1 extra per night.

Edited by Syrette at 22:19:40 09-03-2013

• King_Edward 9 Mar 2013 22:46:33 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This thread was less embarrassing when we were comparing Lara's bra sizes.
  • Dr.Haggard 9 Mar 2013 23:41:57 4,140 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    NeverEatYellowSnow wrote:
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    Stranded87 wrote:

Because you're not Barry fucking Norman and other people have their own opinion?
    OK, well that came out of nowhere.

I suggest if you're going to accuse someone of disregarding other people's right to an opinion then you find someone who, you know, did that. I thought I asked a question.
  • Gambit1977 9 Mar 2013 23:53:07 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Glad I'm not alone thinking the voice acting is poor. It's not 'slightly' better in Uncharted either. Uncharted, no matter how you feel about the gameplay is produced to near perfection cinematically. The acting is some of the best, if not the best (and the writing), I've witnessed in a game.
  • waggy79 10 Mar 2013 01:13:25 915 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wouldn't call the voice acting poor but it is better (for some of the characters) in Uncharted. 3 wasn't close to the standard of 2 though. That to me was Naughty Dogs finest hour.

Still can't believe what CD have achieved here when you compare it to their earlier work. Bodes extremely well for a sequel.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Mar 2013 01:32:24 25,425 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The voice acting is pretty shit. Fuck knows what accent that Roth character is supposed to have.
  • TurboBailey 10 Mar 2013 02:19:05 686 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished the game. Ending was really good. Overall great game, certainly a fab stepping stone to a solid sequel. There were a few bits I hated, but mostly (especially the end) was fab. Certainly a massive step forward in the right direction for the Tomb Raider series.

Also first game to stress my PC out in 2 years. Upgrade time? maybe...

9/10

ps - yes the additional characters are shit - jonah lomu and some other guys. yawn fest.

Question? First game of the "real" next gen? Certainly the most advanced game Ive played in a very long time. Definately a step in the right direction......
  • jamesi 10 Mar 2013 04:37:28 197 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Never understood fuss about uncharted it bored the hell out of me.The characters and game in general were just so well...dull.The characters in Tomb Raider aren't great but the gameplay is brilliant and the most important character (Lara) holds it all together.The people talking about the hand-holding in Tomb Raider are spot on though.I'm not sure if thats there on harder difficulty settings.
  • khaz 10 Mar 2013 05:51:27 2,723 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was playing it on "hard".

The cannon fodder do more damage. That's it.

There might be more of them but I couldn't tell. They definitely do more damage though.

Edited by khaz at 05:52:26 10-03-2013

Edited by khaz at 05:52:45 10-03-2013
  • Page

of 77 First / Last