Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 44

• Page

of 76 First / Last

• khaz 8 Mar 2013 07:39:48 2,573 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    waggy79 wrote:
    People are looking at the original tomb raiders with rose tinted glasses. They dont hold up well which is why this reboot was needed, the franchise was stuck in the past. It may play similarly (and in my opinion has bettered) Uncharted but thats one of the most highly regarded franchises ever so why is that a bad idea?
    The original Tomb Raiders were awful games. I detested the control scheme. But it had several redeeming features - locations, map design, puzzles etc. that were carried over into Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. All good games in their own right that carved out an excellent niche all of their own which no other series really offered.

Then they made it another shooter.

Whatever, i'm done.

Edited by khaz at 07:43:40 08-03-2013
  • Deckard1 8 Mar 2013 07:59:29 25,413 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I remember when it was all fields round here.

Called it

• NOSAVIOUR 8 Mar 2013 08:20:10 2,802 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @waggy79 by uncharted 3 fatigue set in. This game has so much potential, everything feels right but the pacing and amount of combat ruins it for me. It bodes well for the sequel though if they listen to the community. I'm not saying get rid of the combat but not as much is needed and put it in some context. Enemies turn up in the most random of places therefore disconnecting you from it even more.
  • Cappy 8 Mar 2013 08:25:05 11,704 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, poor man's Uncharted then.

Prices for current generation games will start to collapse towards the end of the year, I'll bite when it tumbles down to the 5-10 bracket.
  • Ultrasoundwave 8 Mar 2013 08:25:34 3,097 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Due to an extremely busy week, i've only managed to get up to Lara's first kill so far.

Very much enjoying the game. There are similar qualities to Uncharted but its a very different game IMO. There is the violence and general dark tone, the weapon upgrading and customisation and the hunting of animals, all of which differ greatly from the Naughty Dog games.

Obviously i'm not that far in, so i havent seen the meat of the game yet, but so far it has set things up very nicely and i'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Very promising.

"Look at banner Michael!"

• Benno 8 Mar 2013 08:31:45 9,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @khaz

I was quite enjoying this for the first 4 or 5 hours but I've now reached a point (Shanty Town) where there has been far too much combat, it's turned into a third person shooter with loads of enemies being thrown at you wave after wave.

I hope this area is just a one off and it goes back to balancing things better again.

I get the feeling this game is just an Uncharted clone but with none of the great characters.
    Yeah it gets worse, I have just finished the monastery bit and saved the survivors - wayyyyy to much shooting.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 08:43:44
    I'm nearly finished and I've hardly fired a gun. Must be playing a different game. :)
  • MrWonderstuff 8 Mar 2013 08:50:13 1,855 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    I'm nearly finished and I've hardly fired a gun. Must be playing a different game. :)
    Probably using a bow then?
  • Benno 8 Mar 2013 08:53:56 9,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Goodfella Regardless, its still good to look at, so it didn't bother me so much. It's a pity because the first half of the game absolutely nailed the balance.
  • Benno 8 Mar 2013 08:54:17 9,392 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    This, or you are playing another game.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2013 08:55:40
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    :)

I thought it had a great balance through the whole game, only one area half way through was too combat focused but otherwise fine.
  • StaffyDog 8 Mar 2013 09:14:00 253 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Although I liked the shooting, it has a very nice melee and if upgraded you can become such a badass you wont need your guns as much. Brilliant character movement when in combat and very realistic.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 8 Mar 2013 09:59:31 2,370 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well most of the negativity seems to be coming from the 'I want it now!' crowd. Tomb Raider wasnt what they wanted so its shit. Typical modern gamer selfish mindset.
    I love how some people are so set on what they think they want from a game that the moment it doesnt give them that, the whinging starts.
    Ive bought every Halo out even though I dislike it. I've got massive fps fatigue yet I still bought Far Cry 3, Dishonoured and have pre ordered Bioshock Infinite dispite disliking Bioshock 1 and 2. Why? Because I dont expect anything from games. I dont want them to give me what I think I want, I want a game to play and enjoy. I want immersion, a great story with believable characters and a point behind it all. If it copies another game, fine. If it's innovative, fine. It doesnt matter whats come before.
    Sorry, rant over.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Maturin 8 Mar 2013 10:21:40 2,732 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    Well most of the negativity seems to be coming from the 'I want it now!' crowd. Tomb Raider wasnt what they wanted so its shit. Typical modern gamer selfish mindset.
    I love how some people are so set on what they think they want from a game that the moment it doesnt give them that, the whinging starts.
    Ive bought every Halo out even though I dislike it. I've got massive fps fatigue yet I still bought Far Cry 3, Dishonoured and have pre ordered Bioshock Infinite dispite disliking Bioshock 1 and 2. Why? Because I dont expect anything from games. I dont want them to give me what I think I want, I want a game to play and enjoy. I want immersion, a great story with believable characters and a point behind it all. If it copies another game, fine. If it's innovative, fine. It doesnt matter whats come before.
    Sorry, rant over.
    Denying other people their own opinion and refusing to acknowledge they may have to that opinion via clear thought never makes someone's own opinions looks that worthwhile.
  • djronz. 8 Mar 2013 10:26:47 185 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    Sorry, rant over.
    I'm certainly not from a want it now generation, i grew up waiting ten minutes for games to load only to crash straight away, but I do know what I like in a game, and in Tomb Raider I want it to be about exploration, isolation, wonder, puzzles and heart stopping leaps because that is what made tomb raider a brilliant game in the first place.
    There are already dozens of shooters, mostly made for the 'want it now generation', i love uncharted for what it is, it amuses me when people call it a Tomb Raider rip off because it's clearly a very different experience, at least it seems it used to be,. It's dissapointing to see tomb raider appear to copy uncharted in this way, I'm not sure I want a female version but that said this generation does seem to be a good game in its own right.
  • DjFlex52 8 Mar 2013 10:30:29 120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Maturin

I agree with DDB. I think he's talking about so many gamers who're whinging about what they prefer. An opinion is such a general term. Preference is a specific type of opinion and alot of forum gamers can get very picky :D
  • kinky_mong 8 Mar 2013 10:39:03 9,607 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    :)

I thought it had a great balance through the whole game, only one area half way through was too combat focused but otherwise fine.
    This. One of my highlights last night was clearing a forest area full of enemies only firing one arrow, everyone else I took out stealthily.

Besides the combat in this game is so great, particularly the non-sticky cover system that whenever I do get in a gun fight it's always enjoyable.

Some people just need to get over the fact it's not the 90's any more, and if you want to play a Tomb Raider where Lara moves like an arthritic cow with the turning circle of an articulated truck they should crack out their PS1 instead.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Darren 8 Mar 2013 10:44:21 8,320 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm waiting for Digital Foundry's Face off with interest because I'm playing the PS3 version and the framerate is often very, very bad. Feels like sub-20 fps at times when there's lots of fire on screen. The game does look amazing though and it mostly playable but combat with groups of enemies can often feel extremely 'chuggy'.

And if you're wondering why I'm playing it on the PS3, it's because the PC version is extremely buggy and prone to crashing/freezing so I've decided to wait for a patch and driver update before finishing that.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Maturin 8 Mar 2013 10:47:16 2,732 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:

Some people just need to get over the fact it's not the 90's any more, and if you want to play a Tomb Raider where Lara moves like an arthritic cow with the turning circle of an articulated truck they should crack out their PS1 instead.
    That's not really what people are asking for though are they?

It's the massive climbing based puzzles - which many would have been delighted with using this new engine. But you know that.
  • kinky_mong 8 Mar 2013 10:47:46 9,607 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:

That's not really what people are asking for though are they?

It's exactly what the whingers want, a return to spending 5 minutes per jump trying to line up ol' triangle tits properly, and then watching her plummet to her death yet again because they were a few pixels off.

Anyway Tim Bisley would love this one because at least the big titted bitch can shoot straight.

Edited by kinky_mong at 10:52:12 08-03-2013

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• neilka 8 Mar 2013 10:48:09 14,942 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The PC version has been fine for me after turning tessellation off.

Have you not played your 360 copy yet?
  • Maturin 8 Mar 2013 10:48:31 2,732 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    And if you're wondering why I'm playing it on the PS3, it's because the PC version is extremely buggy and prone to crashing/freezing so I've decided to wait for a patch and driver update before finishing that.
    Using an Nvidia card?

Install NV Inspector. Add the Tomb Raider exe to the Hitman Absolution profile - no crashes. Or at least I've not had any since I did this. And I've been able to use tessellation and tressFX.

Edited by Maturin at 10:48:41 08-03-2013
  • Darren 8 Mar 2013 10:48:35 8,320 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    waggy79 wrote:
    People are looking at the original tomb raiders with rose tinted glasses. They dont hold up well which is why this reboot was needed, the franchise was stuck in the past. It may play similarly (and in my opinion has bettered) Uncharted but thats one of the most highly regarded franchises ever so why is that a bad idea?
    The original Tomb Raiders were awful games. I detested the control scheme. But it had several redeeming features - locations, map design, puzzles etc. that were carried over into Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. All good games in their own right that carved out an excellent niche all of their own which no other series really offered.

Then they made it another shooter.

Whatever, i'm done.
    Yes, the original Tomb Raider games were very creaky, especially the combat which I absolutely hated (god, that T-Rex fight might have been memorable but it was hell to play), but the exploration, puzzles and huge environments were a joy. This reboot seems to have ditched the epic tombs and replaced them with a island which you jump and climb around instead. There are optional tombs to discover but disappointingly these are small and take all of five minutes to complete.

I am enjoying this game enormously though but I do think it would have been better if it had been set on a group of islands, each one different to the last, and it had at least one large tomb to explore on each one. The game is called Tomb Raider after all but so far in this new version all the actual tombs have been optional!

Edited by Darren at 10:49:51 08-03-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 8 Mar 2013 10:52:03 8,320 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Darren wrote:
    Using an Nvidia card?

Install NV Inspector. Add the Tomb Raider exe to the Hitman Absolution profile - no crashes. Or at least I've not had any since I did this. And I've been able to use tessellation and tressFX.
    Thanks but sadly that didn't work for me as I still had freezes albeit after an hour rather than a few minutes with the Hitman Ab SLI flag. I even tried the earlier v311.06 drivers which are supposed to be stable for this game with the same result. It may be that my CPU overclock is unstable though so I've downclocked it from 3.8 GHz to 3.2 GHz and will test it out over the weekend.

I apologise to everyone else for spoiling the thread with "geekiness"! :)

• spindle9988 8 Mar 2013 11:01:36 3,368 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Although its tomb raider, its still supposed to be a prequel so I can understand why there isnt loads of actual tombs in this one. Maybe for the sequel they will have her in a more tomb based place or just one huge tomb. Still loving this game at 60% through
  • Humperfunk 8 Mar 2013 11:06:04 1,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I hate fun games!

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Page

of 76 First / Last