Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @King_Edward
    Cheers muchly
  • Benno 6 Mar 2013 08:26:56 9,932 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Okay so I played this last night, here are my first impressions:

Absolutely spectacular. Wow. Who'd have thought. Popped on for an hour after dinner and next thing I know its 11pm. This is a seriously good quality title. I am almost disappointed that EG gave this an 8 - I hope it doesn't put anyone off picking it up!

Graphics are gorgeous, some of the best I have seen on this console (i am playing on 360). I am playing it on a 110" projector so some console games really show their age on this setup. Not Tomb Raider though, at points it looks like you're playing an interactive action flick.

I like the new Lara, not only is she fit, but the character development is decent enough for a video game. I love the bow and stealthy sections, they have really made it feel like a female rambo film.

In terms of where I am up to, they have absolutely nailed the balance between exploration, puzzles and combat. Whereas Uncharted 3 would pad out the game by pasting in some cover shooting which kept you occupied for 15 minutes, there doesn't seem to be any of that. Considering I am on the same island, there has so far been a wide variety of locales.

The actual Tomb Raiding is great. Walking through pitch black narrow caverns with your torch looks spectacular. I have only been in two Tombs, but both had entertaining puzzles, and decent rewards.

I am literally sat trying to think of a criticism. I don't really have one. Granted I haven't completed the game yet (I imagine I am about half way through), but still. There are perhaps a few too many unrealistic falls/injuries.Also, I could probably survive without the leveling up/salvaging, but its a feature which actually adds to the game.

Seriously, if you are reading this and are on the fence, buy it.
  • itinkuravinalaff 6 Mar 2013 08:50:17 191 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Eurogamer messed up big time with their review and score on this superb game. Absolutely worthy of a big 10/10!
  • spindle9988 6 Mar 2013 08:51:22 3,596 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree. Its a brilliant game, cant believe it only got an 8 here. I had about 4 hours on it last night and just couldnt go to bed
  • fletch7100 6 Mar 2013 09:04:04 7,331 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Benno

It's a great adventure game, just want an Indy version like this on next gen. Graphics are great in majority of areas, was impressed with how the framerate didn't drop in some of the high action scenes with flames, dust and embers all flying round the screen.

There was was one all action section which went on for a bit now its back down to a slower pace. Just backtracking through previous areas to find collectibles and tombs

Is worth buying. If they are pushing the Xbox graphics wise like this, love to see what they can come up on the new consoles.

Now just backtracking and on an animal killing spree
  • HarryPalmer 6 Mar 2013 09:19:36 3,334 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair, it is generic as fuck, bar a few nice additions to the formula, and a tad too videogamey for me. The island feels like a collection of levels, some of the locations are just ridiculous and have no basis in geographical reality. And to be honest I'd rather the islands population had remained hidden for longer. I'd also like the platforming to be a bit less 'on rails'.T he XP upgrading system is intrusive IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying it. It's very well made, fun, and so far the balance of combat and exploration is a lot better than Uncharted. It's also really good to play as a woman.

I think 8/10 is spot on IMO.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:20:54 06-03-2013

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:26:12 06-03-2013

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:29:26 06-03-2013
  • Deleted user 6 March 2013 09:25:51
    Im about 4 or 5 hours in on PS3 and i have to say im enjoying it alot more than i did Uncharted 3. Everything about the game just screams quality. Crystal Dynamics......take a bow.

Edited by its-LegendOfGamer at 09:26:13 06-03-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 6 Mar 2013 09:28:19 3,319 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    I am almost disappointed that EG gave this an 8 - I hope it doesn't put anyone off picking it up!
    The "Eurogamer 8" is very polarising to be honest , i'm always very wary of their 8/10 reviews.

How Red Dead and Brink can both get an EG 8/10 is beyond me.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• HarryPalmer 6 Mar 2013 09:28:47 3,334 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree, it's a lot more enjoyable than UC3, the waves of enemies in Uncharted is so annoying.

The combat in TR is a lot more satisfying.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Mar 2013 09:30:02 11,299 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As soon as I find a cheap steam key I'll be all over this..

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Gambit1977 6 Mar 2013 09:31:35 9,791 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    To be fair, it is generic as fuck, bar a few nice additions to the formula, and a tad too videogamey for me. The island feels like a collection of levels, some of the locations are just ridiculous and have no basis in geographical reality. And to be honest I'd rather the islands population had remained hidden for longer. I'd also like the platforming to be a bit less 'on rails'.T he XP upgrading system is intrusive IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying it. It's very well made, fun, and so far the balance of combat and exploration is a lot better than Uncharted. It's also really good to play as a woman.

I think 8/10 is spot on IMO.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:20:54 06-03-2013

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:26:12 06-03-2013
    Spot on for me.
    As I said earlier, there's an Emperor's New Clothes feel about this, it's difficult to actually say anything remotely un-positive about the game without being jumped on.

It's VERY pretty, it's fun in parts, but pretty much everything you said above is how I feel...apart from any comparison with Uncharted ;-)
  • Benno 6 Mar 2013 09:44:00 9,932 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It probably holds your hand a bit too much for peoples tastes, I can see that.

This style of game is just perfect for me when I want to kick back after work. The controls, animations and general gameplay is just so damn polished. Its like they finished it a year ago and spent months just sprucing and polishing it up.

Its such a refreshing change from devs who sell clearly unfinished games and complete them through patches and DLC
  • kinky_mong 6 Mar 2013 09:44:26 10,354 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    itinkuravinalaff wrote:
    Eurogamer messed up big time with their review and score on this superb game. Absolutely worthy of a big 10/10!
    Exactly my thoughts. I'm about 5/6 hours in and it's been nothing short of spectacular so far. A perfect mix of Uncharted style set-pieces and platforming with Arkham Asylum/Zelda style exploration.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• kinky_mong 6 Mar 2013 09:46:52 10,354 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also I've really winced at a couple of death scenes so far, particularly Lara getting a massive pole through the neck while falling down a debris laden waterfall. :ouch:

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deleted user 6 March 2013 09:48:15
    Only thing I didn't like about Lara is they obviously spent a lot of time and effort making her more real. They tried to have a story moving from innocent explorer to bad ass heroine yet during tutorial the first stealth kill you pull off like a trained killer. A simple thing could of had you mess up in a clumsy way for first few then do it perfectly.
  • Ultrasoundwave 6 Mar 2013 09:56:51 3,319 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Also I've really winced at a couple of death scenes so far, particularly Lara getting a massive pole through the neck while falling down a debris laden waterfall. :ouch:
    I'd put my pole through her neck.

and i'd cuddle her after.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 6 Mar 2013 09:58:39 2,435 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Played about 2 hours last night and loving it. Lara is a great character, lots of tension and detail. Looks good too. Looking forward to getting stuck in.
    So far I think EG's 8 should be a 9.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Benno 6 Mar 2013 10:04:02 9,932 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is apparently who shes modeled from:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3254272/nm2569832
  • Gambit1977 6 Mar 2013 10:07:38 9,791 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • Benno 6 Mar 2013 10:10:50 9,932 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd like to take her out for a nice seafood dinner.
  • mikew1985 6 Mar 2013 10:33:08 12,792 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    She has a couple of interesting appearances in the last series of californication if you want to see more.

A very attractive lady indeed
  • Darren 6 Mar 2013 12:03:02 8,867 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Daeltaja wrote:
    Gotta echo that, I think the voice work is really solid. Much better than most games.
    Agreed.

Even the dialogue between the enemies as you take cover and wait for a chance to pick them off is decent, especially if you've just come from playing Crysis 3 which has pretty dreadful voice-acting outside of the main characters IMO.

Terrific game and so utterly enjoyable in both the combat (gotta dig that bow!) and exploration which I'm taking my time over in each area. I'm even backtracking to previous locations to find all the secrets I couldn't get before because I didn't have the equipment needed at the time. The optional tombs are a nice diversion as well although I wish they were a bit bigger and took longer to finish.

Even the PS3 version seems extremely impressive from what I've played of it and looks fantastic even if the framerate does chug a bit at times (it doesn't tear though thankfully).

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Deleted user 6 March 2013 13:04:32
    Twe've ish hours in, just when you think it couldn't possibly get better it goes and does.
    Just
    So
    Epic
  • King_Edward 6 Mar 2013 13:11:49 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone else still miss Rab's articles on here?

http://effingarcade.tumblr.com

Convinced me to give it a go.

Edited by King_Edward at 14:11:55 06-03-2013
  • Pinky_Floyd 6 Mar 2013 13:17:13 7,908 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Anyone else still Rab's articles on here?

http://effingarcade.tumblr.com

Convinced me to give it a go.
    It's a bit gushy. I've only played an hour but so far it's not as good as either Uncharted 2 or 3. May all change. I can barely contain my excitement, it just leaked out of me on to the floor.
  • Pinky_Floyd 6 Mar 2013 13:18:02 7,908 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bealsy wrote:
    PC version has some ODD issues with my nVIdia GPU. Tesselation breaks the game.
    Mine too. Had to turn it off.
  • beastmaster 6 Mar 2013 13:28:37 11,448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's great to see that despite everyones initial fears, this game seems to be living up to expectations (and exceeding in some cases).

My collector's edition remains unopen for now. I've downloaded the Dark Horse digitial comic and I'm looking forward to reading through it.

For whatever reason, I can only really have one game on the go. I don't enjoy them at all if I'm constantly going from one to another. Currently the Halo 4 campiagn is what I have on the go at the moment but I'm really looking forward to playing this.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• BinaryBob101 6 Mar 2013 13:35:00 23,151 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just ordered from Shopto, am I correct in thinking that they normally deliver within 24 hours?

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• beastmaster 6 Mar 2013 13:35:22 11,448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aye!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Page

of 78 First / Last