Tomb Raider 9 / reboot

• Page

of 78 First / Last

Previous
  • ecu 30 Jul 2009 04:00:49 77,234 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    These details leaked a couple of weeks ago, along with a couple of pieces of artwork. Assuming this is all legit (and it supposedly is), there's enough here to go on.

The Plot - When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hiden of the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows. With only her determination, inner strenght, and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island's past. As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limits and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.

Hunt or be hunted - Evade outsmart, track and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.

Survival Action - Brutally attack and defend as you fight to survive through visceral one on one melee combat.

Strategic Weapons - Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns and the hunters ultimate weapon, the bow.

Creative Survival - React and adapt to the island by using only that wich you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options.

Free Movement - Scrale up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid air to land a misderected jump there is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh enviroment of the island.

One Cohesive World - The diverse multi region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather and natural events.

Origin Story - This new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring the origins of Lara Croft's transformation into a hardened adventurer as unravel the story behind the island's mysterious past.

Link

Tomb Raider does Lost, then.
  • ecu 30 Jul 2009 04:23:43 77,234 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't mind open world, I just don't care for the combat, and it sounds like they're going all out in that department. I'm unsure about this.
  • ecu 30 Jul 2009 04:35:22 77,234 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It also seems like they're going for all out fantasy here, rather than basing it on actual proper myths like they usually do. This is a bit of an assumption, but given the setting, it seems like the whole lot will be fictional.
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Jul 2009 04:44:03 35,798 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I'd love if they radically changed Tomb Raider. A huge, RPG-like map that you can explore freely, cut off from civilization, less tech gadgets, proper secrets you can explore rather than "shiny object Nr. 11 in wall niche 17". Maybe Lara Croft being stranded on an uninhabitated island with old ruins. Think a cross between Tomb Raider, Lost in Blue and Oblivion. With the Crysis engine.

Or something like that. :)

\o/
  • ecu 30 Jul 2009 04:47:46 77,234 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good, now I have someone to blame if it's crap. :p
  • Fizzog 30 Jul 2009 04:48:37 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    I'd love if they radically changed Tomb Raider. A huge, RPG-like map that you can explore freely, cut off from civilization, less tech gadgets, proper secrets you can explore rather than "shiny object Nr. 11 in wall niche 17". Maybe Lara Croft being stranded on an uninhabitated island with old ruins. Think a cross between Tomb Raider, Lost in Blue and Oblivion. With the Crysis engine.

Or something like that. :)

\o/

Could you tell me next week's lottery numbers?
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Jul 2009 08:45:38 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The number of 'combat' references in that chunk of text is.... troublesome.

I didn't like Underworld much, so a reboot would be my preferred route but why do they never pay attention to the people that actually still like Tomb Raider when deciding what they're going to do?
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 08:48:42
    I like "Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns and the hunters ultimate weapon, the bow."

The bow.

How, er, exciting.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 08:48:59
    Reboot my arse. It sounds exactly like every other shitty combat-heavy Tomb Raider, but with a few natural tech-enabled evolutions of the movement and interaction system.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 08:50:24
    Don't forget they may be pumping up the concept a bit here and emphasising the combat to make sure the kids don't lose interest. It reeks of marketing speak.
  • Murbs 30 Jul 2009 08:51:37 22,522 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    The number of 'combat' references in that chunk of text is.... troublesome.

My thoughts exactly - 'visceral one on one melee combat' sounds hideous for a TR game.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 08:53:41
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Don't forget they may be pumping up the concept a bit here and emphasising the combat to make sure the kids don't lose interest. It reeks of marketing speak.
    Perhaps, but I've long since lost interest in Tomb Raider since each game did absolutely nothing to move away from the mistakes of the second and third games - ie, dumping more enemies in her path, turning it into an action romp as opposed to the ingenious atmospheric exploration puzzler type game the first represented.

The first new one by Crystal Dynamics was okay, but still far too much combat. Didn't play any after that.
  • Demikaze 30 Jul 2009 09:09:45 6,701 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think a Metroid-style Tomb Raider reboot would be brilliant.
  • Scimarad 30 Jul 2009 09:20:42 8,600 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There have been enough shit Tomb Raider games so it's not as if one more is going to matter that much. I quite like the idea of an open world TR game, though.

Actually, the more I think about it the more it sounds pretty great!
  • Midian 30 Jul 2009 09:46:44 89 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you've played the second batch of TR Underworld DLC (Lara's Shadow or something) that had a LOT of melee combat - and it was actually pretty good, these are the guys who did Soul Reaver after all.

Setting my Intrigue-O-Meter to "Hmmm...." I really liked the previous reboot - handing it to CD was a great idea - so changing the formula AGAIN is a "brave" move. Could be awesome, or it could also finally nail the coffin shut on Edios.
  • Blerk Moderator 30 Jul 2009 09:51:36 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually they should scrap the whole Tomb Raider thing and just make a Soul Reaver game like they described above.

/pauses
    /thinks

Why do I think that idea would be fine for a Soul Reaver game but not for a Tomb Raider game? That makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 10:15:45
    It makes plenty of sense. Soul Reaver was always about action as well as puzzling. Tomb Raider should be largely devoid of meddling humans shooting guns.
  • Derblington 30 Jul 2009 10:22:36 22,115 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looking at the concept art it doesn't look like it's going to have m/any meddling humans shooting guns, instead it will be full of weird Japanese horror monster babies with sharp sticks for arms.

I don't like it. I don't like the concept art either, but the actual design just isn't TR at all. It sounds more like survival/action - Tomb Raider meets Resi 5. Having played through Anniversary 2 weeks ago, and loving it all over again, it's a huge shame to see them do this.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 10:28:20
    I'm scared about the amount of times they mention "combat" in the link. However the weather and natural events sounds quite interesting. Hopefully it means weather patterns change as days/nights pass and effect how you get around the island(i.e Terrential rain making it harder to climb etc).
  • Nexus_6 30 Jul 2009 10:56:12 3,894 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lara has sexy boobs. I would like to see a version where she is slightly older, and they have started to sag just a little.

Yummy Mummy Lara hmmmm
  • BabyJesus 30 Jul 2009 11:00:54 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've never gotten into Tomb Raider, it seems like the whole franchise was built on the most annoying camera in history.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 11:02:28
    A bit more open world could be good. I hated the "jumpy bit, shooty bit, jumpy bit, shooty bit" nature of Uncharted and thought the open world freedom of Assasins Creed represented the next step for this genre (although the other elements of that game didn't work so well).

It's always annoyed me how they still havent realised that the more they focus on combat with TR, the worst the games are. There's a very obvious relationship between the two, and unfortately they seem more focused on the relationship between shooty bits and sales.
  • Derblington 30 Jul 2009 11:06:45 22,115 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    But I think that's what will make it so appealing ^

I was recently playing the latest Tomb Raider games, completed Underworld which was utterly awful, and then moved onto Anniversary which to be honest was just as bad. I was speaking with a friend the other day who loved early Tomb Raider games and he completely agreed.

It's just so horribly dated now, Tomb Raider Underworld compared to similarish (and older) games like Prince of Persia, Uncharted of God of War... there's not a single thing that Underworld did better than any of these games imo.

A complete reboot is just what the series needed for me, and just from the concept art and brief description above, this is now one of my most keenly awaited games...

Anniversary is far from bad. The mechanics are a little clunky but better than they were. It's the level design and puzzles that are great though, they've never been better than the first 2 games, and combat is so infrequent tat it never grates.

I haven't played Underworld yet, but I don't doubt you're right. The games have been on a downward spiral for years, and, while they jumped up a tad when Crystal Dynamics took over (they have made the movement mechanics far more pleasant), they really do need to put some effort into making the games great again.

But this isn't it, this is making the games something completely different. If this is what you want to play, cool, but then you don't want to play Tomb Raider. Play God of War, or Prince of Persia, or Uncharted, but don't force Tomb Raider to become one, or a mix, of those games, when it was, once upon a time, a great game all of it's own. They could make TR great again, instead they're making it something else.
  • Widge Moderator 30 Jul 2009 13:05:35 13,728 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Underworld is alright, but I can see how the game would be better if it played at a more considered pace with less combat. Lara is really skittish & hyper in it.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Deleted user 30 July 2009 13:12:31
    The last Tomb raider was pretty decent I thought, & if you skip anniversary the one before that was a "reboot" so why do they need to reboot it again?.. Ever since Legend they were slowly going the right way, Tombs, Jungles, plently of puzzles with little combat..
  • Cappy 30 Jul 2009 13:21:30 12,096 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The spelling mistakes and overall lack of polish, terrible sentence structure for instance leads me to believe this is fake.

Seems more like something put together by a fan.
  • Page

of 78 First / Last

Previous