Spotify for iPhone Page 3

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Pac-man-ate-my-wife 27 Jul 2009 16:55:56 7,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As mentioned elsewhere it's capable of caching up to 3,333 songs so that would mean less need to constantly access the network, saving battery life. More here:
    http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/07/spotify-iphone-app
  • Gl3n Moderator 27 Jul 2009 16:59:52 5,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't see why it would drain the battery if you were just doing offline streaming anyway. Just cache a load of shit up before leaving the house.

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• Deleted user 27 July 2009 17:24:02
    Change my pitch up! Cache my shit up!
  • Mike_Hunt 27 Jul 2009 17:35:16 23,512 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice bit of tech, but I think it's very price sensitive. 10 a month, and not actually owning any of the songs is just a bit crazy. The caching solution is cool but, it's still quite restrictive. Priced at a couple of quid then I'd probably be in there, but it's simply not worth 120 per year.

[MH]
  • spindizzy 27 Jul 2009 18:19:20 6,427 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    white_frank_white wrote:
    Should suit an Apple product nicely then.

Yawn.
  • ecureuil 27 Jul 2009 18:22:37 76,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Doubt the day passes will work.
  • SirScratchalot 27 Jul 2009 18:26:13 7,872 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a bit less over here in Sweden, but still a bit much.
    Still, it's a quality service and I understand that they want to give people using it on their PCs with an iPhone a bit of incentive to go premium.
  • FWB 27 Jul 2009 18:33:30 43,806 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not owning the tracks makes the price rather off putting. What happens when I want to go abroad... for good?

Tech wise it's great, just need to sort out the pricing.
  • ecureuil 27 Jul 2009 19:07:50 76,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a little more incentive to get a premium account though. I mean, I use Spotify on my computer every day, so this just makes the premium deal a little bit better value for money. Well, assuming you have an iPhone.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 16:51:54
    I was just thinking what would really add to the value would be if the app was able to control Spotify on your computer in the same way that Remote controls iTunes. If it had that capability built in whether you were a Premium subscriber or not, a lot of people would download the app just for that and not intending to ever use the Premium functions, but once they've got it on their phones they might as well try it for a tenner for one month...
  • FWB 30 Jul 2009 16:54:34 43,806 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You mean just streaming from your computer to your Phone? You wouldn't need an official program for that. I'm sure some little boggin is on the case.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 16:56:38
    FWB wrote:
    You mean just streaming from your computer to your Phone? You wouldn't need an official program for that. I'm sure some little boggin is on the case.
    No I don't mean that - although I'm not sure I can think of a reason I'd want to either!

Nah what I meant was, load up Spotify on your computer. set it going, go sit on other side of room or in different room, want to change the music so load up Spotify on your iPhone which accesses the Spotify app wirelessly and shows you what's playing and lets you change it.

Have you seen the Remote app Apple released for free? It controls iTunes remotely exactly like this. Have a look, it explains better than me.
  • FWB 30 Jul 2009 17:12:34 43,806 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't have an iPhone. :) Although my iPod went so if I wasn't broke I'd probably get one.

I get what you mean now, although streaming from you computer to your phone would be ace. I'm sure it's around the corner.

Ohh and Spotify works with the regular play buttons on my Mac - bit annoying when I forget to close down itunes. Can you not pause and forward/go back with the current Apple app? Obviously you'd need a proper app to set a playlist on it.
  • Gl3n Moderator 30 Jul 2009 17:14:03 5,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Curse you all, every time i see this bump i get all excited.

• SirScratchalot 30 Jul 2009 17:25:59 7,872 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The APIs for spotify are supposed to be made public soon so we should see a ton of remote apps then.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 18:37:10
    Are people really complaining about 10 a month for unlimited access to millions of music tracks on a purely on-demand basis? I take it none of you pay subscriptions to cable or Sky TV then? Or rent films from Blockbuster? Or use a service like LoveFilm?
  • ecureuil 30 Jul 2009 18:40:24 76,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Judge-Fang wrote:
    Are people really complaining about 10 a month for unlimited access to millions of music tracks on a purely on-demand basis? I take it none of you pay subscriptions to cable or Sky TV then? Or rent films from Blockbuster? Or use a service like LoveFilm?

People are complaining because Spotify is currently free. 10 per month to remove some adverts isn't worth it.
  • Gl3n Moderator 30 Jul 2009 18:46:40 5,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, but combined with an offline iPhone app, it most certainly is worth it.

• Deleted user 30 July 2009 18:47:24
    FWB wrote:
    Don't have an iPhone. :) Although my iPod went so if I wasn't broke I'd probably get one.

I get what you mean now, although streaming from you computer to your phone would be ace. I'm sure it's around the corner.

Ohh and Spotify works with the regular play buttons on my Mac - bit annoying when I forget to close down itunes. Can you not pause and forward/go back with the current Apple app? Obviously you'd need a proper app to set a playlist on it.
    No the Remote app connects to iTunes. The annoying keyboard play/pause thing is because the keyboard is just sending those signals to the computer and it's interpreting them whatever audio applications are open at that time, I presume. Coz Remote no worky with SPotify.
  • ecureuil 30 Jul 2009 18:47:58 76,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:
    No, but combined with an offline iPhone app, it most certainly is worth it.

I'm still not sure it is.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2009 18:55:02
    Me neither. That whole "but... I don't own anything at the end" keeps coming back to bite at me. I know that I'd probably listen to more new music or music I don't have than I do music I do have, as that's what happens with Spotify at home, but at the end of the day I haven't spent money. I suppose it's like renting music like you'd rent a game or a film.

I might try it for a month and see how it goes.
  • Gl3n Moderator 30 Jul 2009 18:57:48 5,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Go and buy up all of your music then and see if that tenner lasts you as long.

• oceanmotion 30 Jul 2009 18:58:38 15,647 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Judge-Fang wrote:

People are complaining because Spotify is currently free. 10 per month to remove some adverts isn't worth it.

Yea. Take the Zune for example, all the music with a monthly subscription like Spotify but you get to keep 10 songs drm free forever each month included. That sort of approach might work for Spotify subs.
  • ecureuil 30 Jul 2009 19:06:30 76,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Me neither. That whole "but... I don't own anything at the end" keeps coming back to bite at me. I know that I'd probably listen to more new music or music I don't have than I do music I do have, as that's what happens with Spotify at home, but at the end of the day I haven't spent money. I suppose it's like renting music like you'd rent a game or a film.

I might try it for a month and see how it goes.

That's pretty much how I see it. I would pay for it, but not a tenner a month. Maybe more like 3 or 4 for an ad-less service that worked on iPhone. Maybe have another, more expensive subscription that also has the early album releases current Spotify premium has.
  • Gl3n Moderator 30 Jul 2009 19:15:20 5,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're both fucking mentalists :)

Talking about 'ownership' and such, where's the sense of ownership over a digital file residing on your hard drive. There's no cover art (not really), slip booklets or any other specialness that you'd get through physical media.

For a tenner, you're getting millions of songs that you can access at home, on the bus, at the beach or the ice cream social.

10 pounds for unlimited music wherever you want it. In your face, lovingly slathered over your bare behind, at the ice cream social.. etc.

Without the iPhone app (not that it's been passed) the only reason i could imagine paying for the premium service is if the user had *a lot* of parties or needed uinterrupted link music, say in a pub.

• ecureuil 30 Jul 2009 19:16:59 76,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But I can already get those songs for free. How are you not getting this? I'd be paying a lot of money just to remove a small number of advertisments. I'd rather give the money to the homeless.

10lbs per month to make it portable is too much.
  • Gl3n Moderator 30 Jul 2009 19:20:11 5,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Legally? On your iPhone? With the same ease of access?

• Page

of 10 First / Last