Spotify for iPhone Page 9

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Deleted user 8 September 2009 07:25:19
    warzin wrote:
    Has anyone compared the android version to the iPhone one yet?
    Yes, go to daringfireball.net, he links to someone that compares the two (sort of).

Android one runs in the background...
  • Banjax 8 Sep 2009 08:00:45 114 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He has some complaints about the Android version too (needs a widget to control playback when it's in the background) but seems satisfied with both ("Id be very happy using either of these apps in the wild, I think.").

Not being able to run in the background may be a major bugbear for you, but that's not so much the case for other people.
  • neilka 8 Sep 2009 08:39:11 15,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr.Small wrote:
    Spotify on the iPhone would be perfect except for one or two niggles. The lack of background playing has been mentioned but another is that when you unplug the headphones, or if they accidentally pop out, the music gets diverted to speaker. This is in contrast to the ipod function where removing the headphones mutes the music. I've already been caught out by the difference today ... awkward.
    I've just walked through the lobby at work wondering when they started playing music in there - then realised it was coming from my pocket after I turned my Bluetooth headphones off...

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Ginger 8 Sep 2009 08:45:17 6,830 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    there's a quick comparison over at pocketlint. It's the background running that does it for the android version, and it will also synch over 3G, whereas the iphone only does it over wifi.

London open taekwondo champion

• Deleted user 8 September 2009 12:00:06
    Banjax wrote:
    He has some complaints about the Android version too (needs a widget to control playback when it's in the background) but seems satisfied with both ("Id be very happy using either of these apps in the wild, I think.").

Not being able to run in the background may be a major bugbear for you, but that's not so much the case for other people.
    Of course - different people have different needs. I personally think it will be an issue for a lot of people. I could be wrong. It does get mentioned in every single review I've read so far, and although that's just thorough journalism, it indicates that it's something you need to know before you make your decision.
  • moggsy 8 Sep 2009 13:09:49 3,860 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Loving this.

Listened to a shuffle of the Mercury Prize nominated albums this morning in my car on the way to work. Seeing as there is no way I would have forked out the money for 10 random albums there is no other way (apart from illegal downloads) that I could have done this.

• neilka 8 Sep 2009 14:18:57 15,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I left the app running but paused this morning and now the battery is at about 1/3 remaining... Is it uploading stuff to other peers like the desktop app does?

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• urban 8 Sep 2009 14:21:18 10,942 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    neilka i highly doubt that, but using the 3g/wifi on the iphone in ANY app thats even the slightest bit demanding (even IRC clients) will sap your battery like nothing else.

I feel a bit bad for spotify that its getting absolutely slammed in the ratings purely because they want you to subscribe, nobodies complaining for any other reason, apple need to sort that shit.
  • SirScratchalot 8 Sep 2009 14:27:37 7,872 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah just maintaining any kind of connection will do that...
    Also, battery life of my phone has dropped extremly rapidly with age...
  • Deleted user 8 September 2009 14:29:03
    urban wrote:
    neilka i highly doubt that, but using the 3g/wifi on the iphone in ANY app thats even the slightest bit demanding (even IRC clients) will sap your battery like nothing else.

I feel a bit bad for spotify that its getting absolutely slammed in the ratings purely because they want you to subscribe, nobodies complaining for any other reason, apple need to sort that shit.
    Nobody's complaining about the background issue on the App Store reviews?
  • urban 8 Sep 2009 14:32:47 10,942 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i'm sure they are but i haven't seen those reviews, theres 3000 people nay saying it, most of them are saying "pffft pay for it?"

SirScratchalot wrote:
    Yeah just maintaining any kind of connection will do that...
    Also, battery life of my phone has dropped extremly rapidly with age...

have you been maintaining the battery? i.e letting it completely discharge before jacking it in?
  • Deleted user 8 September 2009 14:45:43
    I could be wrong... but I'm certain that this isn't an issue for the battery in the iPhone. Sure once in a while you should but the rest of the time it doesn't matter.

Apart from anything else, what if your battery runs to 1/3 full on Monday. Are you going to sit there trying to drain it completely just so you can charge it overnight for Tuesday, or are you going to turn it off and then back on again Tuesday morning and struggle through the day on a 1/3 full battery till it dies sometime around lunchtime and then charge it when you get home (bearing in mind not everyone works at a desk)?

Anyone clarify if the battery is supposed to be killed before charging every single time?
  • ecureuil 8 Sep 2009 14:55:31 76,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    urban wrote:

It's ridiculous. Ratings systems like this are inherently flawed as it's human nature to go to one extreme or the other. You see it all the time with people talking about videogames and movies - if they're not the best thing ever, they're fucking terrible, worst game/movie ever made, etc. That's just human nature.

Aside from that, the app store suffers from such a massive collection of idiots. You can look at pretty much any app, and you can guarantee there'll be at least one person giving it a 1 star rating for a stupid reason. As a test, I just searched the store for "music", found an app called Music Visualiser. It has two stars, with lots of 1 star ratings from people complaining that it doesn't work with the iPod Touch. It states very clearly in the first paragraph of the description that it doesn't work with iPod.

Then you get stuff like this. Not sure how you could accidentally vote 1 star, so I'm ruling that out. More likely explanation? He's an idiot.

They need to fix it. I have a friend who's made a few iPhone apps, and he told me about his download figures. He said he had steady downloads from the first few days, got some 4/5 star ratings and this continued for the following two weeks, with a steady stream of downloads. Then he made the app free for a day, and downloads jumped massively, but with this came a few 1 star reviews (basically because of a problem, which was stated, but was out of his control), which put the ratings at 2-3 stars. Then downloads died completely. Zero downloads for the following few days, until he pulled it from the store.

People DO pay attention to the ratings overview. Hell, I'm fully aware of the problems, and even I use them as a guide sometimes. They're almost completely random, the system needs an overhaul.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2009 14:57:20
    Why did he pull it from the store? Emo quit? Or does it cost money to 'rent' space in the App Store?
  • Deleted user 8 September 2009 14:58:02
    They should change the review scores to a binary system. Either you liked it or you didn't.
  • ecureuil 8 Sep 2009 15:04:22 76,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Why did he pull it from the store? Emo quit? Or does it cost money to 'rent' space in the App Store?

Emo quit. He's part of a developer group/community thing and didn't want a reputation as someone who releases shit iPhone apps.
  • Ginger 8 Sep 2009 15:08:13 6,830 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Anyone clarify if the battery is supposed to be killed before charging every single time?
    AFAIK (and it's not my area) the whole "discharge every time" is a myth

London open taekwondo champion

• Deleted user 8 September 2009 15:12:09
    ecureuil wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:

Emo quit. He's part of a developer group/community thing and didn't want a reputation as someone who releases shit iPhone apps.
    Does anyone want that reputation? If everyone did that there'd be no apps on the Store, all devs gets bottle of piss thrown at them at some point in the App Store review section.
  • spindizzy 8 Sep 2009 15:44:53 6,438 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    AFAIK (and it's not my area) the whole "discharge every time" is a myth

It used to be true for older battery tech but not for li-ion. There's lot about it on apple.com.
  • urban 8 Sep 2009 20:09:16 10,942 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    li-ion batteries ARE better than most for charge/discharge but they are by no means perfect.

Its the same for laptop li-ion batteries, if you leave them on charge they will eventually lose their will to live.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2009 20:43:32
    The ratings are a fecking mess on the app store. Some of the posts are just plain retarded.
  • bunglebonce 9 Sep 2009 12:51:52 2,122 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tried the Spotify app with my iPod Touch in the car today. It doesn't work with the iTrip in the same way that other third party apps wouldn't, which makes sense. The only other use I'd get out of it is at the gym, so I don't think I'll keep the sub next month.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• shamblemonkee 7 Aug 2012 13:57:41 14,321 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    anyone else hsving problems with SPotify only being in offline mode today?!
  • SuperCoolEskimo 20 Mar 2013 23:01:58 9,779 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Been thinking about getting this lately. Yay or nay?
  • THFourteen 20 Mar 2013 23:27:56 33,197 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been on it for two years and going, I say yay.

Got any specific concerns? You can always cancel after a month if you don't like it.

For me, finding new chuunes is the tough bit.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 21 Mar 2013 13:54:15 9,779 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All signed up. Very good so far.
  • THFourteen 21 Mar 2013 14:48:27 33,197 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the only two annoying things i find about ipad over android is

1) if you have folders of playlists, and have marked one of the underlying playlists for offline listening, there is no indication of it on the parent folder. So my iron maiden folder has 5 playlists under it, with 2 marked for offline listening, and i just have to remember that otherwise i never look in there.

2) in android, it puts all your offline playlists at the top of your view, so you dont have to scroll down reams and reams of playlists to see what you've got downloaded.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 21 Mar 2013 14:58:01 9,779 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I see. I have unlimited 3G Internet on my iPhone and my iPad is always in a wifi area so I won't really be needing offline playlists much.

Surely though you can make a separate folder containing just your offline playlists?
  • THFourteen 21 Mar 2013 15:00:25 33,197 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Could do yep, but that would require me logging onto spotify on a PC and remembering to do it because you aslo cant manage folders on the app!

3G streaming works OK for me, although it kills my ability to surf the internet sometimes when i'm on a train.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 21 Mar 2013 15:12:47 9,779 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fair enough. A big reason why I joined Spotify is to avoid all the syncing with iTunes on my laptop. Always such a chore.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last