Spotify for iPhone Page 8

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Deleted user 7 September 2009 22:47:08
    MrED209 wrote:
    Are you an iPhone owner, Judge-Fang?

No, a few months of owning an iPod touch have convinced me that I'll never pay the asking price for an iPhone
  • moggsy 7 Sep 2009 22:55:02 3,860 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, how do the people saying a tenner a month is too much currently get their music?

Averaged out over a year I easily pay more than a tenner a month for my music and I'm not what I would consider a big music purchaser.

To me, the freedom of being able to listen to just about any new album that I want to easily justifies the price. But then I never got into torrenting so I'm not used to getting my music for free.
  • LetsGo 7 Sep 2009 23:07:35 5,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As I said before, some people who have the money then good for them.

I can't afford £120-, I'll just use YouTube for the moment. Yes, less convenient but free and I can listen to them anywhere (as I download them).
  • moggsy 7 Sep 2009 23:14:05 3,860 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apart from the fact that what you are doing is illegal you are also not contributing to the costs involved.
  • LetsGo 7 Sep 2009 23:16:08 5,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    moggsy wrote:
    Apart from the fact that what you are doing is illegal you are also not contributing to the costs involved.

Why is it illegal? It's an app on the Android market which google would take down if it was illegal surely?
  • moggsy 7 Sep 2009 23:20:29 3,860 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it covered by the YouTube terms of use?

Either way you are not paying any contribution towards the money it costs to make the music you are ripping.
  • ecureuil 7 Sep 2009 23:20:59 76,648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    moggsy wrote:
    So, how do the people saying a tenner a month is too much currently get their music?

Averaged out over a year I easily pay more than a tenner a month for my music and I'm not what I would consider a big music purchaser.

To me, the freedom of being able to listen to just about any new album that I want to easily justifies the price. But then I never got into torrenting so I'm not used to getting my music for free.

But all that stuff is already free on Spotify anyway, so you're basically paying for the convenience of having it on your phone, which isn't really that great to begin with given that a large portion of the music I listen to on Spotify is music I already own. As I said before though, there's no guarantee that songs aren't going to disappear from the service, which just dissuades me even further. It's basically a luxury, if you're rich enough to be able to afford spending that much then fair enough, but for me it's a hell of a lot of money for something that's far from essential.
  • moggsy 7 Sep 2009 23:25:44 3,860 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    moggsy wrote:

But all that stuff is already free on Spotify anyway, so you're basically paying for the convenience of having it on your phone, which isn't really that great to begin with given that a large portion of the music I listen to on Spotify is music I already own. As I said before though, there's no guarantee that songs aren't going to disappear from the service, which just dissuades me even further. It's basically a luxury, if you're rich enough to be able to afford spending that much then fair enough, but for me it's a hell of a lot of money for something that's far from essential.

Come on, you don't need to be rich to afford a tenner a month. 35 quid for a mobile phone on the other hand...

It's not even a 12 month minimum contract or anything - you can cancel at any time.

For me personally it's far more useful being on my iPod Touch because it means I can listen to it via my iPod dock and in my car. It means it can completely replace my CD and MP3 buying.
  • LetsGo 7 Sep 2009 23:31:00 5,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    moggsy wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    moggsy wrote:

Come on, you don't need to be rich to afford a tenner a month. 35 quid for a mobile phone on the other hand...

It's not even a 12 month minimum contract or anything - you can cancel at any time.

For me personally it's far more useful being on my iPod Touch because it means I can listen to it via my iPod dock and in my car. It means it can completely replace my CD and MP3 buying.

Moggsy, I think we'll use it when they have a free ad supported version (if they ever do).

£10- a month IS a lot of money when you have...:

- A mortage
    - Water bill
    - Elec bill
    - Internet bill
    - Heating bill
    - Broadband bill
    - Council tax
    - Poll tax
    - Car tax
    - Insurance
    - Petrol
    - Phone bill
    - Credit Card
    - Travel to work fees
    - Food
    - Kids

- Xbox Live
    - WoW
    - Champions Online

It all adds up.

Do you live at home still??
  • ecureuil 7 Sep 2009 23:31:50 76,648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well the phone is somewhat essential and it's worth the asking price for the associated functions is has. Spotify is a total luxury though, but I guess it depends how much you're out and about. I'd only use it for the half hour there and back daily commute. If I could get my iPhone working with my car it'd be more tempting.
  • LetsGo 7 Sep 2009 23:31:58 5,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    moggsy wrote:

Either way you are not paying any contribution towards the money it costs to make the music you are ripping.

Oh and Google is YouTube so you would assume so...
  • mcmonkeyplc 7 Sep 2009 23:33:36 39,406 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    POLL TAX?! You pay poll tax?!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• ecureuil 7 Sep 2009 23:35:00 76,648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    moggsy wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    moggsy wrote:

Moggsy, I think we'll use it when they have a free ad supported version (if they ever do).

£10- a month IS a lot of money when you have...:

- A mortage
    - Water bill
    - Elec bill
    - Internet bill
    - Heating bill
    - Broadband bill
    - Council tax
    - Poll tax
    - Car tax
    - Insurance
    - Petrol
    - Phone bill
    - Credit Card
    - Travel to work fees
    - Food
    - Kids

- Xbox Live
    - WoW
    - Champions Online

It all adds up.

Do you live at home still??

Yeah exactly. In terms of priority of where my money goes, Spotify comes a long way down the list. It's easy to say "well LoveFilm is only £10 a month" and "XBL is only £5 a month" (or whatever) and "phone bill is £30 a month" but when you then have to put another bill on top of that, it starts to spiral out.
  • LetsGo 7 Sep 2009 23:36:26 5,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The mistake a lot of people make is when they DONT put financing into a list.

As a lot of people use the old 'its only x amount' too often (inc. me! :( ).
  • moggsy 7 Sep 2009 23:38:59 3,860 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    moggsy wrote:

You shall not copy or download any User Submission unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the YouTube Website for that User Submission.

YouTube Terms Of Service
  • moggsy 7 Sep 2009 23:46:23 3,860 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone who is at all into music (and listening to it legally) is probably going to on average buy a couple of albums a month which adds up to at least a tenner a month. Yes this is more expensive than listening to Spotify on your PC with adverts or downloading music illegally.

The fact an album costs a tenner restricts my choice of music as yes I too have bills and kids etc. (along with currently working a 4 day week but that's another story). But music is an important part of my life and paying a tenner a month to Spotify will save me money and vastly expanding the choice of music I can listen to.

However, as ever, your mileage may vary.
  • LetsGo 7 Sep 2009 23:46:31 5,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    moggsy wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    moggsy wrote:

You shall not copy or download any User Submission unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the YouTube Website for that User Submission.

YouTube Terms Of Service

Well... perhaps someone should tell Google, as its on Googles own official App Store....
  • LetsGo 7 Sep 2009 23:49:25 5,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh and why oh why would they allow videos like which has been for nearly two years??
  • moggsy 7 Sep 2009 23:55:27 3,860 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    God knows but it's pretty obvious that downloading other people's content is always going to be legally very dodgy.

You're not paying for your music. If you're happy with that then that's fine. But it's not a proper alternative to Spotify Premium is it?
  • LetsGo 8 Sep 2009 00:00:59 5,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well.. I didnt know TBH... and it's not very obvious.

If you can download apps from Googles own app store which does it and view hundreds of videos on Googles very own YouTube on how to download YouTube videos... doesnt give the impression that its illegal does it?
  • Deleted user 8 September 2009 00:02:57
    Has anyone compared the android version to the iPhone one yet?
  • ecureuil 8 Sep 2009 00:05:29 76,648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    moggsy wrote:
    Anyone who is at all into music (and listening to it legally) is probably going to on average buy at least an album a month which is going to add up to at least a tenner a month. Yes this is more expensive than listening to Spotify on your PC with adverts or downloading music illegally.

The fact an album costs a tenner restricts my choice of music as yes I too have bills and kids etc. (along with currently working a 4 day week but that's another story). But music is an important part of my life and paying a tenner a month to Spotify will save me money and vastly expanding the choice of music I can listen to.

However, as ever, your mileage may vary.

But if you're that in to music, surely you'd rather purchase it anyway.

That's the problem for me. For music I really love, I buy it, I like to own the CD.

The two things I use Spotify for - to listen to albums I own but don't have on my computer/in mp3 format. And to listen to music I wouldn't buy. And if I wouldn't buy it, then I wouldn't pay £10 per month to listen to it. Basically I'm uncomfortable paying that much money for something I'm never going to have a physical copy of. I'll always have my CDs, I'll be able to play them in 40 years if I choose. But after two years and £240, I'll have nothing to show for all that money I spent.
  • ecureuil 8 Sep 2009 00:06:36 76,648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Well.. I didnt know TBH... and it's not very obvious.

If you can download apps from Googles own app store which does it and view hundreds of videos on Googles very own YouTube on how to download YouTube videos... doesnt give the impression that its illegal does it?

It's illegal but nobody cares, because Youtube videos are of shitty quality.
  • Mr.Small 8 Sep 2009 00:06:39 317 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jesus, it's only a tenner. If you're anything other than a vegan, non-smoking, tea-totalling hermit than you're going to spend a lot more on meat, fags, booze or generally going out each month. A tenner for access to pretty much the world's supply of music on demand is really nothing to ask for ... just sacrifice a couple of cups of coffee or bought sandwiches per month to cover the difference.

Spotify on the iPhone would be perfect except for one or two niggles. The lack of background playing has been mentioned but another is that when you unplug the headphones, or if they accidentally pop out, the music gets diverted to speaker. This is in contrast to the ipod function where removing the headphones mutes the music. I've already been caught out by the difference today ... awkward.

Anyway, I'm off to backup my mp3s to external hard-drive, delete them from the laptop and free up some badly needed space. Spotify can stream my music choices from now on.

I'm the quiet one

• Deleted user 8 September 2009 00:11:10
    But the music selection is a bit crap.

I quite like the fact that when I spend a tenner or so a month (well a week, if we're honest) on CDs, I have to listen to them. Sit down and listen to them properly.

When I have spotify i find myself skimming and not really listening to anything.
  • ecureuil 8 Sep 2009 00:20:40 76,648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's cheapening of music really. I'm a bit old fashioned in that I still love the package of a CD, it's all-encompassing and important to the experience. Spotify is great for the convenience though. It's especially good for parties and such. I still can't justify that £10 per month.

And yes the "it's only a tenner" argument is bollocks. If I had that kind of attitude I'd be broke in two months.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2009 07:18:03
    Judge-Fang wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    Are you an iPhone owner, Judge-Fang?

No, a few months of owning an iPod touch have convinced me that I'll never pay the asking price for an iPhone
    Ah. That explains all the potshots you keep taking at it and at people that do have one.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2009 07:20:57
    moggsy wrote:
    It's too much to pay for an app that will lock me out of using all the other iPhone functions, which would be a major problem for me except when I'm walking. I spend the majority of my time travelling around London on the tube or bus and so I play games etc as well as listen to music.

If it had background capability, I'd probably go for it at least for a month to try it out.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2009 07:23:09
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    POLL TAX?! You pay poll tax?!
    That's what I was thinking. Didn't millions of people die/march on the streets to protest and abolish that?
  • Deleted user 8 September 2009 07:24:26
    Also I don't think £35 a month is a lot considering what I'd get charged on other networks to use as much data as I use on my phone. But let's not get into that.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last