Spotify for iPhone

• Page

of 10 First / Last

Previous
  • lucky_jim 27 Jul 2009 10:29:07 5,308 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The rumoured iPhone Spotify app has gone to Apple for approval- source.

I've not used Spotify yet, but the thought of being able to do so on my iPhone is quite tempting. Doesn't it compete a bit with iTunes though, or am I missing the point (quite probably, having not used Spotify).

Interested to hear the thoughts of others on this, particularly people using Spotify on other platforms.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2009 10:31:36
    My thoughts: I'd like it.

Does it compete with iTunes? Quite possibly as it could arguably reduce consumer spend in iTunes as people could just stream whole albums over the network. The thing is Spotify doesn't give you actual copies of the music, just lets you stream it.
  • psychokitten Moderator 27 Jul 2009 10:31:52 7,794 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been waiting for this for... ever? But I don't see Apple approving it, it can only hurt iTunes sales, in their eyes anyway. I'm sure it would for some people, personally I never buy music through iTunes so it doesn't change my music purchasing habits.

I use Spotify all the time, it's a fantastic app.
  • bunglebonce 27 Jul 2009 10:34:59 2,148 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apple have approved Last.fm among others.

You'll probably need to subscribe to use the service, which will put a lot of people off. If I had an iPhone rather than a Touch and lived in a 3G area, I probably would subscribe.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• deem 27 Jul 2009 10:35:30 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not so different to Lastfm is it?
  • psychokitten Moderator 27 Jul 2009 10:37:54 7,794 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I haven't used LastFM in a while, but last I recall you can't play specific songs or albums willy nilly. Spotify works as though it's your library, you can search any artist, song, album, whatever, and play it as though it's on your PC (but streaming).

Say I wanted to listen to a specific album, I can search it and play that.
  • Ginger 27 Jul 2009 10:38:38 6,850 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    deem wrote:
    It's not so different to Lastfm is it?
    in technology no - it's streaming music. But in how you choose that music, it's very much an itunes equivalent. you can play whole albums or an artists whole back catalogue if you like which last.fm can't do

London open taekwondo champion

• lucky_jim 27 Jul 2009 10:38:49 5,308 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I live and work in central London, so I'm almost always near a wi-fi connection, it's a service I could make quite good use of. Is it basically the same as Last.fm then? I vaguely noticed all the Spotify hype a few months ago but didn't pay much attention, so I'm aware of it but not how it's better/worse than similar offerings.
  • gamingdave 27 Jul 2009 10:38:51 4,238 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It can increase iTunes sales, if all the tracks it streams can they be bought through iTunes. My commute is mainly undergroung, and I have spotify at work and home, so not much use to me, but its a great addition.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2009 10:40:37
    With Lastfm you select an artist and it plays you a random selection of their music and similar styles of artist, radio-station stylee. It's a licensing thing I think. If you specify a track, I don't think it will actually play you that track unless it comes up randomly within a list of similar tracks.

With Spotify you select exactly what you want to listen to, so long as they have it.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2009 10:40:48
    Or what everyone else said. :)
  • funkyd 27 Jul 2009 10:41:33 7,522 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is pretty big news, isn't it?
  • LetsGo 27 Jul 2009 10:41:39 5,242 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well... if it's anything like the G1 app it will work on the underground (as long as it 'cached' the music before you go underground obviously).

Theres a G1 video here.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2009 10:42:31
    gamingdave wrote:
    It can increase iTunes sales, if all the tracks it streams can they be bought through iTunes. My commute is mainly undergroung, and I have spotify at work and home, so not much use to me, but its a great addition.
    I just heard an ad on desktop Spotify advertising the ability to buy and download music you're listening to on Spotify, from some other service the name of which I didn't catch. Unless Spotify were to sign a deal with Apple that said Spotify for iPhone will link to iTunes for iPhone if people wan to buy what they're streaming, I daresay Apple could very easily make a case for it eating into iTunes profitability.

Either way, they don't even need to give a reason. They'll just reject it out of hand, I reckon.
  • bunglebonce 27 Jul 2009 10:43:48 2,148 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah the dot.life article on the Beeb suggests the iPhone app will let you cache, which could come in handy for a commute.

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• moggsy 27 Jul 2009 10:46:59 3,860 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Spotify were teaming up with 7Digital for MP3 downloads.

You'll need to pay 9.99 a month to use Spotify on your iPhone/iPod Touch so it isn't going to be used by many people. Apple will probably approve it.
  • deem 27 Jul 2009 10:48:31 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A tenner a month, to not own anything, and need to be in a wifi spot to be able to listen to what I want on my portable player? That's definitely not for me.
  • LetsGo 27 Jul 2009 10:49:48 5,242 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why do you need to be in a Wifi zone? It can use 3G (apart from the iPod Touch obviously).
  • mrpon 27 Jul 2009 10:51:15 28,998 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    moggsy wrote:
    You'll need to pay 9.99....
    Oh.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• deem 27 Jul 2009 10:51:29 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Why do you need to be in a Wifi zone? It can use 3G (apart from the iPod Touch obviously).

Well like some other people, I mainly listen on the tube, but I just can't see navigating an app that's reliant on 3G being particularly quick at browsing or loading/streaming. Especially compared to what I'm used to with iTunes.
  • LetsGo 27 Jul 2009 10:52:43 5,242 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    deem wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:

Well like some other people, I mainly listen on the tube, but I just can't see navigating an app that's reliant on 3G being particularly quick at browsing or loading/streaming. Especially compared to what I'm used to with iTunes.

Fair enough. My phone's 3G is very quick and I'm sure it could cache enough music to carry me through my tube journey...
  • deem 27 Jul 2009 10:54:25 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    deem wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:

Fair enough. My phone's 3G is very quick and I'm sure it could cache enough music to carry me through my tube journey...

I often change my mind about what I want to listen to though. If it was free I'd consider it, but I'm fucked if I'm paying a tenner a month.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2009 10:54:28
    moggsy wrote:

You'll need to pay 9.99 a month to use Spotify on your iPhone/iPod Touch so it isn't going to be used by many people. Apple will probably approve it.
    Why would you pay monthly to use it on the iPhone while the standard version is free on a desktop? Isn't that pretty much completely against the whole Spotify principle? Or are they suggesting that it'll be a 'premium' version only, without ads, and without the option to have the ads in return for a free app?
  • moggsy 27 Jul 2009 10:56:22 3,860 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Official blog with video of iPhone app here.
  • moggsy 27 Jul 2009 10:58:06 3,860 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    moggsy wrote:

Why would you pay monthly to use it on the iPhone while the standard version is free on a desktop? Isn't that pretty much completely against the whole Spotify principle? Or are they suggesting that it'll be a 'premium' version only, without ads, and without the option to have the ads in return for a free app?

Yeah it's Premium only. You could perhaps pay 99p for a days access though instead.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2009 10:58:39
    moggsy wrote:
    Official blog with video of iPhone app here.
    That seems to clear up the premium thing - it seems that it will only work if you're paying for Spotify Premium on the desktop as well. Or to put it another way, if you have a Premium account you can use Spotify for iPhone. If you don't, you can't.
  • Ginger 27 Jul 2009 11:04:14 6,850 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    moggsy wrote:

I think it's just another reason for people to sub to the premium service. I'm thinking about it, but need to wait until I get a G2 / Magic before I do it properly, and want to see how good last.fm works on that before I pay for spotify

London open taekwondo champion

• Deleted user 27 July 2009 11:06:07
    Nah, there's no way I'm signing up for Premium for a service I'd only use on the iPhone. I'm perfectly happy with the ads on the desktop version of Spotify, and I'm not paying a tenner a month for something that's wholly dependant on the availability of the 3G network, caching or not, when I'm pretty happy with the music I have on my iPhone anyway.
  • Carlo 27 Jul 2009 11:08:24 18,071 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure it's great news for some, but personally, it's a DoNotWant for me.

And for 10 a month? Might as well be that PoS Napster.

PSN ID: Djini

• cubbymoore 27 Jul 2009 11:09:58 36,497 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can you imagine how cool you'd be though. You'd be the guy with alllllll the music. They'd go "he's the one with allllllll the music" as you walk past them.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last

Previous