*Limiting* Wireless LAN Range?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Dudemeister 26 Jul 2009 21:39:21 16 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hello,

I've been considering making the jump to wireless LAN, since I begin to abhor the tangle of wires going all over the place.

A problem that came to mind when checking on the range of the WLAN routers was that the range usually is about ~10 meters (no?), and that would be waaaay too much for my little (read: studio) flat.

Now you might say why go wireless at all in such a small space, but with two computers, two consoles and possibly an eventual external HD that is linked into the network, I feel it's worth it.

Am I paranoid to think that security becomes an increased concern if the range of the router would basically cover the entire floor above and around me? Or am I overly optimistic of the range? I have no experience of WLAN whats-o-ever :).

Plz to halp,
    Dudemeister
  • ecureuil 26 Jul 2009 21:42:49 76,734 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Encrypt your network.
  • Metalfish 26 Jul 2009 22:05:44 8,818 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just stick it in WPA. Anyone who hacks that pretty much deserves to steal your internets. The big nerds.
  • faux_carnation 26 Jul 2009 22:08:03 9,272 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good choice of UiD there OP.
  • Dudemeister 26 Jul 2009 22:13:54 16 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why, thank you. :D

So, basically it doesn't matter, then. Cheers guys.
  • Red-Moose 26 Jul 2009 22:17:11 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dudemeister wrote:

Am I paranoid to think that security becomes an increased concern if the range of the router would basically cover the entire floor above and around me? Or am I overly optimistic of the range? I have no experience of WLAN whats-o-ever :).

Plz to halp,
    Dudemeister

Just use WPA2 and it's all fine. The problem will really lie in the radiation that will rot your brain and be in the news like mobile phone radiation in 5 years.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2009 14:30:37
    If your router supports it, bump the wireless mode down to wireless a or b, instead of g or N. They have a shorter range and wall penetration, so if it works fine for you, you have limited your broadcasting a little.

And as others have said, turn on network encryption too :)
  • Dudemeister 27 Jul 2009 19:25:39 16 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks a lot for all the helpful replies, guise. Much appreciated. :)
  • Bremenacht 27 Jul 2009 19:48:45 17,844 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Chopsen 27 Jul 2009 20:04:20 15,885 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Live in an reverse Faraday Cage
  • Dudemeister 27 Jul 2009 22:24:50 16 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I suppose I ought to be grateful for unhelpful replies, too.

Cheers! :)
  • Youthist 27 Jul 2009 22:26:39 10,011 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't encrpyt, I just hard wire the MAC addresses in my house to my router (wii, 360, 3 laptops). Not sure if its better or worse than encryption. But it works.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Deleted user 27 July 2009 22:31:27
    What's the best router available at the moment, all the standards confuse me. Need something for file sharing wireless and via ethernet.
  • Carlo 27 Jul 2009 22:37:33 18,004 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Keyser_Soze wrote:
    What's the best router available at the moment, all the standards confuse me. Need something for file sharing wireless and via ethernet.
    Apple Time Machine, but forget it, you can't afford it and you'll just say it's shit value for money.

/trolls

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 27 July 2009 22:38:54
    It's a router to?
  • Carlo 27 Jul 2009 22:40:49 18,004 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    It's a router to?
    It is, and it's got one of the largest arp caches in any wireless router (other than busines class ciscos and 3coms etc).

Handy if you torrent as it needs massive arp tables

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 28 July 2009 18:35:33
    Carlo wrote:Apple Time Machine, but forget it, you can't afford it and you'll just say it's shit value for money.

/trolls

You mean Time Capsule, Time Machine is the software.

/trolls :)

Is it really a good router though? I thought it was good value when released but 449 for 1Tb doesn't look as good now.
  • Deleted user 28 July 2009 18:36:22
    Might as well look into homeplug.
  • Moonbender 2 Aug 2009 13:46:07 407 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    I don't encrpyt, I just hard wire the MAC addresses in my house to my router (wii, 360, 3 laptops). Not sure if its better or worse than encryption. But it works.
    It's much worse, actually. Any given MAC addresses is supposed to be unique to a single network interface card, however, all modern operating systems let you manually set a different MAC address of your choosing. All an attacker has to do is look at existing traffic in the air to determine a permitted MAC address and set his NIC to use it.

Even worse I think that since you don't encrypt, any attacker can easily intercept and read your traffic, apart from links with their own encryption layer such as HTTPS.

And even from a usability point of view, it's worse: if someone visits you, they need to find out and give you a long MAC address which you need to (temporarily) set to be permitted. With WPA2, all you'd need to give them is the passphrase. So yeah. Unless you have a device which doesn't work with WPA2, I'd go for that; in addition to MAC filtering if you're so inclined.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next