Crappy standard music player

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Vice.Destroyer 24 Jul 2009 23:49:44 5,899 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have been trying to love my music player, because I have loads of music saved on my HDD, but I can't get over the awful visualization. Those Jeff Minter visuals actually make me feel nauseous.

So I was really glad when a friend of mine pointed out Iris, one of the Xbox Community Games. It's not a game, just a different music player. It has 10 different visualizations, it displays the name of the song playing, when a new one comes on. And it is only 200MS points. As a downside, you can't use the remote to fast forward songs, only the joypad, which is a shame, but I suppose it is only 200MS points.

Support the community. 200MS points for a music player with 10 different visualizations is a steal.
  • seasidebaz 24 Jul 2009 23:50:54 6,157 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You should be able to use a remote though. The Scene It controllers should work.
  • Vice.Destroyer 24 Jul 2009 23:53:45 5,899 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If I had them. But hey.
  • VandelayIndustries 25 Jul 2009 00:03:14 1,523 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You found it useful? excellent! I do love the old school spectrum analyzer visualizer it includes.
  • beastmaster 25 Jul 2009 00:04:06 11,816 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm.. marked as interesting and check it out tomorrow. I'm supposed to be in bed.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• ecu 25 Jul 2009 00:15:52 77,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After MilkDrop, every visualiser is crap. It's the only reason I still use Winamp.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2009 12:33:07
    As we discussed elsewhere Vice, the point everyone should be aware of is that a community developed music player is better than what is a very basic and substandard music player from Microsoft.

This is the same Microsoft who want to replace every Sony media box in the country under your TV with an MS branded one. That might not happen with the 360, but if they want to start real penetration (matron!) in that area then they could do a lot worse than having one which allows:

- choosing different visualisations
    - allows you to choose whether to repeat a track or not
    - lets you build proper playlists
    - lets you scan forward and backwards within a track

Xbox Media Center on the chipped original Xbox does everything you need and more. This is a console which precedes the one on the market now and it puts the 360's music player truly to shame.

As good as Iris may be, I don't want to have to select it as a game on my menu. I expect something as good to come as standard on a £100+ console. It's one of the few areas in which the PS3 beats the 360 hands down.

Does anyone know how we can push this issue forward with Microsoft?
  • Carlo 27 Jul 2009 12:37:27 18,182 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MS should license the chipped xbox media centre.

Or give the guys who done it jobs.

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 27 July 2009 12:58:03
    Agreed. But my point is - how to tell the right people at Microsoft?

I don't really believe this would get escalated by the usual channels, but I also find it very hard to believe this has been so easily overlooked.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2009 12:58:59
    I mean, from a business point of view, wouldn't it have made a whole lot of sense to replicate Windows Media Player on it?!
  • kinky_mong 27 Jul 2009 14:35:45 10,750 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd like a music player on the Xbox that doesn't insist on playing everything on shuffle despite having the option selected as normal playback.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deleted user 27 July 2009 16:06:26
    kinky, you are aware that the option is a toggle, and will play in the order opposite to what the button is showing?

ie if you have the random symbol, it's because play straight through is already selected, and vice versa?
  • buggrit 27 Jul 2009 16:10:58 5,179 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does Iris do gapless playback too?
    /hopes
    I use the music player a lot, but it's got some pretty annoying limitations.
  • kinky_mong 27 Jul 2009 16:20:50 10,750 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    schnide wrote:
    kinky, you are aware that the option is a toggle, and will play in the order opposite to what the button is showing?

ie if you have the random symbol, it's because play straight through is already selected, and vice versa?

I did not realise that. I am a fucking idiot.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deleted user 27 July 2009 17:21:18
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 27 July 2009 17:21:18
    You're not an idiot. The designer who thought "I know, I'll write this music player software in five minutes, throw in a Jeff Minter visualisation from the 1800's and then fuck off on a full day's pay and.. hey, the buttons are programmed the wrong way around, oh screw it, I'm off!" is probably more to blame.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2009 17:33:21
    Can't you turn the visulaizer off anymore?
  • Deleted user 28 July 2009 09:41:45
    Not entirely. You get the option of full screen or a mini version playing in the bottom left. It looks pretty crap either way.

Does anyone have any indirect contacts at Microsoft?
  • Deleted user 28 July 2009 09:43:50
    Yeah I've got one. It's this guy that mainly works in the public relations department or something, I dunno. Major Somebody or other... I think he's got a website, hang on.
  • Deleted user 28 July 2009 11:17:38
    I'd have given you a lot more gracious thanks if you hadn't been so unnecessarily sarcastic about it, but I'm sure you had your reasons.

Major Nelson's site says "Due to the volume of mail I receive, I canít personally respond, but I do try and read all of the messages," - so he's not as contactable as I'd originally intended, but I didn't make that explicit.

Nevertheless, I'm trying to do something really productive and positive here, so thanks for your input ED. I'll write to Nelson now.
  • Deleted user 28 July 2009 11:59:32
    Message now sent to Nelson.
  • Deleted user 28 July 2009 12:01:29
    You're taking this all a bit seriously are you not?
  • coastal 28 Jul 2009 12:06:51 5,389 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems it. You've got xbmc on your old xbox from what it sounds like. Why not use that?

On a side note, I don't think the console war will be decided on the repeat function in the music player.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Deleted user 28 July 2009 12:34:21
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 28 July 2009 12:39:14
    Excuse my supposed seriousness - I'm trying to achieve something, and I resent anyone who belittles anyone's efforts to do that.

My 360 is the only means I have to play music conveniently on my current setup and it's central in my living room. And I play music A LOT. My old xbox is in another part of the house as I've let one of my flatmates have it for the time being. Besides, you shouldn't have to have two consoles to do something so simple when one machine is MORE than capable.

I didn't say the console war would be decided on the repeat function. My view is that both consoles need every edge they can get in competing for what is often a single space under a TV, and being a capable media centre is key component of that. Incidentally, XBMC performs far, far better when it comes to video playback as well.

If this isn't important to you, don't waste those vital minutes of your life ;)
  • heyyo 28 Jul 2009 12:43:04 14,371 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Internet WARRIOR!!
  • Deleted user 28 July 2009 13:03:30
    Internet madman you mean. It plays the music and it plays the games. *shrug*
  • Deleted user 28 July 2009 14:30:03
    I'll be sure to tell Apple to make a cutdown iPod for you that only has a play and stop button. This thread originated from a conversation Vice and I had on a news item the other day, and trying to do something about it is the product of it.

I've emailed Major Nelson, and hopefully, he'll take notice. You can either argue why it wouldn't make good business sense to put a decent music player in there or just keep being the big man.
  • AccidentProne 28 Jul 2009 14:43:47 1,173 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It does seem strange that they've got such a crappy music player on the dashboard. Maybe they want everyone using the media centre extender thing, though I'm not really a fan of that either.

I'm assuming the music player will get some sort of an update when lastfm is incorporated into the dash later this year, if only to scrobble tracks played. Hopefully they'll improve functionality a bit at the same time.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous