What's America's problem? Page 223

• Page

of 225 First / Last

• HelloNo 2 Sep 2017 18:00:00 1,978 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the other hand I've got a friend who's just becoming one, and he's pretty much the nicest bloke you'll ever meet. Wonder if he'll stay that way, can't be a job that re-affirms your faith in humanity. Not that it excuses the twats who abuse their power.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 5 Sep 2017 22:44:02 10,980 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Irma is looking a bit fucking tasty. Just broke the record for fastest hurricane I think. If it hits Florida its going to get a full scale catastrophe.
  • Technoishmatt 6 Sep 2017 00:25:58 2,078 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, looking like it will hit Miami-Dade. They are considering telling the millions of people living there to evacuate.

Huge human tragedy - although it is clearly going straight over Cuba, and we're not crying about Cubans.

Back to the US - if this one costs as much as the Texas storm, Congress + Trump will finally have to pull their heads of out of their asses and do SOMETHING other than push decisions down the road. They have to spend money, and raise the debt ceiling, and make compromises.
  • reddevil93 6 Sep 2017 00:28:55 13,799 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe even start believing in global warming.
  • Trowel 10 Sep 2017 08:09:42 21,655 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Florida police warned people to not shoot weapons at Hurricane Irma, in response to a social media event encouraging people to do just that.
    https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/national-international/Police-Warn-Against-Shooting-Hurricane-Irma-443516183.html
  • Jono62 10 Sep 2017 09:41:13 18,339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Read that The other day. They should let them do it.
  • Dirtbox 10 Sep 2017 19:11:32 89,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You couldn't pick a better state to obliterate. Absolute shithole filled with the most brainless vermin in the country.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Sep 2017 19:22:26 9,889 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dude. That's human beings dying you're talking about...
  • Syrette 10 Sep 2017 19:24:10 49,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    You couldn't pick a better state to obliterate. Absolute shithole filled with the most brainless vermin in the country.
    :eek:
  • Kazuhira 10 Sep 2017 19:39:02 32 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Dirtbox, you must be the most edgy man alive to say that.
  • richarddavies 10 Sep 2017 20:07:15 6,017 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's always been the edgy one of EG.

https://i.imgur.com/XILk4Xv.gif
  • thelzdking 10 Sep 2017 21:27:35 6,353 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Isn't Donald Trump's house in Florida? Will that get wrecked.
  • DrStrangelove 10 Sep 2017 21:41:39 11,191 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Isn't Donald Trump's house in Florida? Will that get wrecked.
    It'll probably be a sign of God's support for Trump again, like the total solar eclipse over Trump-voting states, or the rain starting when he was giving his inaugural speech.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Sep 2017 21:57:08 10,980 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The storm is just washing away the remaining Obama filth so that Trump can truly start a new.
  • Khanivor 10 Sep 2017 22:09:09 43,361 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sweet, just looked at latest track for the storm and the path goes directly over the city I live in.

Fortunately, it should just be a tropical storm, bit gusty, nae bother, but still.
  • M83J01P97 10 Sep 2017 22:21:56 7,529 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Sweet, just looked at latest track for the storm and the path goes directly over the city I live in.

Fortunately, it should just be a tropical storm, bit gusty, nae bother, but still.
    Where do you live? I'm in the edges of Clermont in Orlando and the worst is going to hit us this evening apparently, but they are predicting it will be a Cat 2 by the time it gets to us, which will just be a lot of rain and strong wind.
  • Khanivor 10 Sep 2017 22:29:15 43,361 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Chattanooga.

'Luckily' it veered west, as my brother and sister-in-law live in Jupiter.
  • M83J01P97 10 Sep 2017 22:30:43 7,529 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Chattanooga.

Stay safe.
  • Khanivor 10 Sep 2017 22:31:58 43,361 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ha! It'll be nothing. You got a proper hurricane to deal with. AND Floridians\!
  • mal 10 Sep 2017 22:50:41 28,505 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Seems to have been three idiots trying to drive about in a hurricane so far, so...
  • Rodney 10 Sep 2017 22:51:56 3,279 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe there will be a silver lining to all this if Republicans start taking climate change seriously as a result.
  • mal 10 Sep 2017 22:54:39 28,505 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Chattanooga.

If they're 'in Jupiter' they'll surely be more worried about the giant red spot, and the fact the surface, if there is one is under miles and miles of choking gases.

Or I guess this could be another case of 'mericans using confusing names for places.
  • Dirtbox 10 Sep 2017 23:26:52 89,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mal wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Seems to have been three idiots trying to drive about in a hurricane so far, so...
    Case in point. There isn't a more darwin award deserving state in the western world.
  • DrStrangelove 11 Sep 2017 00:42:29 11,191 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Maybe there will be a silver lining to all this if Republicans start taking climate change seriously as a result.
    I greatly doubt that. They ignore much clearer evidence of global warming, should be easy for them to shrug this off. I believe even scientists will be hard pressed to identify human-made global warming as the definite cause of Harvey and Irma.
  • Rodney 11 Sep 2017 04:35:37 3,279 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think the can atttribute cause but they can say whether global warming, and the higher water temperatures might have increased the severity.

Apparently there's some disagreement within the scientific community whether pointing to individual weather events might be counter productive because it reinforces the conflation of climate and weather, and helps people who think the existence of snowballs is a good counter argument to climate science.

I'm more optimistic that people can be persuaded by more nuanced arguments - even Republicans....
  • Deleted user 11 September 2017 08:03:48
    Rodney wrote:

I'm more optimistic that people can be persuaded by more nuanced arguments - even Republicans....
    glol it's far too late, and even convincing morons global warming is not a hoax wouldn't change much. Media black-outs, public policy and big money have all put us on this path. So expect ever more devastation each year until nothing can be insurable.
  • sickpuppysoftware 11 Sep 2017 08:27:59 1,448 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Decks is it literally draining the swamp?
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2017 09:17:07 26,479 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Juggalo March is coming

https://www.juggalomarch.com/
  • DrStrangelove 12 Sep 2017 13:35:38 11,191 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    I don't think the can atttribute cause but they can say whether global warming, and the higher water temperatures might have increased the severity.

Apparently there's some disagreement within the scientific community whether pointing to individual weather events might be counter productive because it reinforces the conflation of climate and weather, and helps people who think the existence of snowballs is a good counter argument to climate science.

I think we agree on what scientists can say on this, but not on if Republicans care. My point was that there is e.g. virtually 100% consensus in the scientific community that human-made global warming causes rising sea levels, but the GOP mainstream stance is to deny it. Many dismiss it as "junk science", say the climate has always been changing and we can't do anything about it, or even claiming that "satellite data demonstrate for the last 17 years there’s been zero warming, none whatsoever" (Ted Cruz).

They just make up their own alternative reality even on topics about which there is no doubt whatsoever in science, they get away with just inventing data that most obviously doesn't exist, etc. So if scientists in this case say "we have no proof that the hurricanes were caused by global warming, but we're sure global warming has contributed to them", that's in a way "less certain" than the undeniable facts they already dismiss as a hoax. And I believe they'll reinterpret that as a sign of weakness, as in "even the so-called climate scientists can't tell it's the cause! It's bullshit.".

I think there is a chance that Republicans will be pressed to reconsider their position at some point, but only if the populace changes its mind and calls for action, not because of scientific arguments. They have repeatedly shown they don't give the slightest shit about the latter.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/03/marco-rubio-had-some-really-dumb-things-say-about-climate-change-last-nigh/

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/10/ultimate-climate-candidate-matrix/
  • Page

of 225 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.