What's America's problem? Page 161

• Page

of 185 First / Last

• whatfruit 14 Nov 2012 11:53:44 1,637 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My favourite of those tweets is the "Is this our punishment for slavery?" as if he is equating 4 years of a president he doesn't agree with a similar if not worse experince than a 100 years of systematic oppression.

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• jellyhead 14 Nov 2012 12:16:51 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    According to some morons out there this is THE WORST era in American history. Number One American Disaster.

Great Depression - Nope.
    The Dustbowl - Nope.
    Pearl Harbour - Nope.
    American Japanese Internment - Nope.
    Slavery - Nope.
    Civil War - Nope.
    British/Canadian Invasion - Nope.
    Repression of Native Americans - Nope.

Voting in a Democratic President for a second term - DISASTER! END OF DAYS!

LOL!

This signature intentionally left blank.

• ChronoTravis 14 Nov 2012 14:54:09 145 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, we came through the Revolution, survived British invasion and the kidnapping of our sailors and illegal blockades imposed on us, everything surrounding World War II, the great depression, significant upheaval in the 1960's (way more than now) but some Republicans act like 4 years of Obama is means the apocalypse. We had slavery for 90 years and it culminated in a horrific long war where hundreds of thousands of Americans died horrible deaths from starvation, disease and battle wounds all across the country, but it must be Obama that is our punishment for slavery....I can't see how people actually think like this.
  • kalel 14 Nov 2012 14:59:27 89,142 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In some ways the current recession is actually worse than the Great Depression. But yeah.
  • ChronoTravis 14 Nov 2012 21:49:02 145 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A satirical petition for the city of Austin to secede from Texas and remain in the Union: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/peacefully-grant-city-austin-texas-withdraw-state-texas-remain-part-united-states/TDD212hQ
  • RobTheBuilder 14 Nov 2012 21:51:20 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ChronoTravis wonderful.
  • jellyhead 14 Nov 2012 22:12:26 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's one for Wisconsin too. I'm sure the US Gov reply will be 'LOL'.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• urban 16 Nov 2012 14:46:48 11,029 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Build a master chief statue on the lawn of the white house is better.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Nov 2012 22:30:11 7,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Don't know if anyone's seen this yet. Warning: unambiguous racism ahead.

Question: given that the people there are just kids, should they be outed like this? Yes, they were stupid enough to post these things publicly in the first place, but should they be given any leeway?

I realise that some of them are probably too far gone, though.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 01:04:59 21-11-2012
  • Psychotext 20 Nov 2012 23:48:53 54,779 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your link doesn't work, but I've seen it, and yes... they really should. Because frankly the people around them clearly aren't telling them how unacceptable their bullshit is.

Assuming they're not younger than say, 14... in which case it would be out of order. Most of them aren't "kids" though.
  • Mola_Ram 21 Nov 2012 01:03:51 7,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fucking hell I hate posting links. I usually do the a href thing manually, but have tried using the link button on here twice, and twice it has failed.

Grr. Fixed now.
  • Mola_Ram 21 Nov 2012 01:36:13 7,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Your link doesn't work, but I've seen it, and yes... they really should. Because frankly the people around them clearly aren't telling them how unacceptable their bullshit is.
    But do you think the best way of telling them is to put it up for the world to see, forever? Will that actually teach them anything?

And yeah, they are kids. Teenagers are still kids, and teens are arguably more prone to saying and doing stupid shit than anyone. Naming and shaming them for the whole world to see might not be so good for them.

Not sure what the best alternative would be, though. Put the parents' details up instead of the kids'? Contact the school?
  • Moot_Point 21 Nov 2012 01:59:50 4,492 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yes. Posting a link on a gaming forum will really teach 'em. Dumb hicks, eh?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• DodgyPast 21 Nov 2012 02:16:35 8,518 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    It could have fairly significant implications for their future given the fact that future employers will find this stuff via Google.

They're probably surrounded by these kind of attitudes at home and school so is it 100% fair to damn them for something they might grow out of at University?
  • Mola_Ram 21 Nov 2012 02:25:59 7,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    ?

Err, I do know that none of them are going to read this. It's just here for discussion, like. Given that this is a discussion forum.
  • Psychotext 21 Nov 2012 02:47:41 54,779 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    But do you think the best way of telling them is to put it up for the world to see, forever? Will that actually teach them anything?
    The point of the whole thing is that people have been sending details of the posts to the employers / schools / parents etc. So far it seems to have been quite effective, for better or worse. People have lost their jobs, parents have kicked arse and schools have disciplined.

As for teenagers still being kids... if you're old enough to be prosecuted then you're old enough to be held accountable for your actions. In the UK at least that responsibility starts at 10, which is probably too low, but I don't see anything wrong with teenagers being taken to task on hate speech... especially if it's done early enough to shock them into reconsidering their ways before they're ingrained.
  • Mola_Ram 21 Nov 2012 03:07:15 7,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yes, but the record of it is public, not just limited to parents and teachers. It's not like juvenile crime where, depending on where you are, the records might be available only to the police, and are wiped clean after a certain period of good behaviour. This is like a permanent record, and could affect them years down the track, even after they've (hopefully) ditched those beliefs.

Obviously they should be taken to task. It's just the public nature of it that I'm iffy about.
  • Psychotext 21 Nov 2012 03:15:26 54,779 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was entirely their decision to have a facebook or twitter account and post their school, home, work, etc details online to make themselves easily identifiable. I don't have one, and even if I did I sure as shit wouldn't have it set to publicly viewable.

That said, I see what you're saying but by the same token, without confrontation there's every chance those views will stay with them (sadly they probably will anyway).
  • Psychotext 21 Nov 2012 03:16:38 54,779 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On a similar note, these cunts could do with some negative attention: http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/day/2012/11/19
  • RelaxedMikki 27 Nov 2012 22:39:34 937 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice film on influence of billionaires on US politics on BBC4 now. 'Why Poverty'.

Stuff we've all seen before. But some good interviews. Answer of so many of these hedge fund managers to any moral question about their economic distortions caused by their disproportionate personal wealth or their dubious influence on the democratic process seems to be 'Yes, but I am rich'. Which sounds sociopathic to hippy losers like me...

...but, hey, if we really are just all nothing but a coincidental conglomeration of matter in some half empty corner of a god-forsaken universe why the fuck shouldn't a hedge fund manager piss in people's faces for a fleet of Ferraris?

I don't know.
  • Bremenacht 21 Dec 2012 01:35:31 19,259 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did we have a discussion about whether the GoP would change, post-Romneygeddon?

The same old tricks aren't working.
  • Moot_Point 21 Dec 2012 01:44:07 4,492 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    /\

Edited by Moot_Point at 01:44:45 21-12-2012

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Bremenacht 21 Dec 2012 17:06:49 19,259 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Follow up to the above story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/boehner-budget-failure-conservative-groups_n_2342979.html

Seems like nothing has changed in the GoP since the election. Meet the new right-wing pressure group: same as the old right-wing pressure group.
  • teamHAM 23 Dec 2012 20:23:18 3,116 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do you work in Iowa? Are you sexy? Prepare to be fired.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• oceanmotion 23 Dec 2012 21:33:36 16,080 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Crazy. Even worse, he seems to think it was a foregone conclusion that they would get together because she was sexy, twat.
  • sport 23 Dec 2012 21:43:38 12,798 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That beefcake Gremmi better watch his back.
  • urban 28 Dec 2012 15:47:26 11,029 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The UK has the internet too
  • dsmx 28 Dec 2012 17:26:15 7,683 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The UK feels so much better with piers morgan out of it, is there any cost to high to ensure he never comes back?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• urban 28 Dec 2012 19:29:36 11,029 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    her?
  • Tom_Servo 30 Dec 2012 23:45:49 18,079 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right, so the US is roughly one day away from going over the "fiscal cliff". It seems they're going to go over it, to be honest.

So, Gremmi and Khani, what does it all mean?
  • Page

of 185 First / Last