What's America's problem? Page 157

• Page

of 180 First / Last

• AcidSnake 9 Nov 2012 09:06:01 7,140 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @LeoliansBro:
    Sorry, only just found your reply buried away now...
    Nixon actually was VP and then got elected, I meant someone who lost a VP election and then went on to attempt to get the presidency...

Meanwhile one of two Astrophysicist Rockstars, Neil deGrasse Tyson tweeted this interesting statistic...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• jellyhead 9 Nov 2012 10:17:04 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext will be interested in that link. He's on a stats binge i think.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2012 11:16:47 6,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This guy is a class act
  • monkman76 9 Nov 2012 11:23:09 3,396 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wish just one of these nutjobs would try to explain in what way Obama is communist. I don't think they have any idea what it means.
  • Psychotext 9 Nov 2012 11:23:21 52,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh, excellent. Yeah I've been absorbing pretty much everything on the subject.

Interestingly there seems to be a point after college educated but before postgrad where more people vote for Romney than Obama (51% Romney, 48% Obama). I can only assume this is the median education level for rich as fuck white folks so it affects the stats somehow.

There's also a massive advantage for Obama in those with no high school diploma (64% vs 35%), but they only make up 3% of the electorate.
  • monkman76 9 Nov 2012 11:25:07 3,396 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hahaha, what a useless capitalist :D
    Have clients who voted Democrat? Call them up this morning and tell them to take their business elsewhere.
  • AcidSnake 9 Nov 2012 11:26:27 7,140 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha, that guy's great... I love this bit:
    Are you married to someone who voted for Obama, have a girlfriend who voted 'O'. Divorce them. Break up with them without haste

When compared to:
    Co-workers who voted for Obama. Simply don't talk to them in the workplace, unless your boss instructs you too for work-related only purposes

So if you're married, divorce...If your boss tells you to talk to someone, begrudgingly concede...

Also "without haste"?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2012 11:26:36 6,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thirdly, I believe we all need to express disgust with Obama and Democrats in public places. To some extent I already do this. Example:

When I'm at the Wal-mart or grocery story I typically pay with my debit card. On the pad it comes up, "EBT, Debit, Credit, Cash." I make it a point to say loudly to the check-out clerk, "EBT, what is that for?" She inevitably says, "it's government assistance." I respond, "Oh, you mean welfare? Great. I work for a living. I'm paying for my food with my own hard-earned dollars. And other people get their food for free." And I look around with disgust, making sure others in line have heard me.
    Fucking lol. This guy must be a hit at parties.
  • jellyhead 9 Nov 2012 11:29:48 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After reading the things i've read in the last few days i really hope that it's just the cockroaches coming out of the woodwork before scattering back to their holes. There has to be some Republicans who aren't touched by madness somewhere. I refuse to believe they are all hypocritical, racist nutjobs with petulant anger issues and guns in their bibles.

I wonder if there will be a more liberal split in the GOP in the next few years? Are there any financial conservatives yet social liberals in the republicans? America's too a big place to have a full consensus in the party surely?

I mean, where are the sane voices for the republicans? Most of what i'm seeing is blamestorming and denial. Digging a deeper, more acidic hole to stick your head in can't be the answer.

• monkman76 9 Nov 2012 11:34:17 3,396 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They'll probably (hopefully) move further to the right, before another couple of heavy defeats make them wake up and realise they need to move to the centre.

Not sure I agree with people suggesting that the Democrats will walk it for years to come due to the ever-growing Hispanic vote though. It wouldn't take much of a shift from the Republicans (soften approach on immigration basically) to make them the more obvious choice for upwardly-mobile Latinos.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2012 11:37:32 6,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, the Tea Party and fellow travellers might just break off and go third party, if they're actually serious about their convictions. Wouldn't be good for the GOP's electoral performance in the short term, of course, on account of the vote splitting. But it might benefit them in the long run. There'd be less of a loon contingent during their primary selection process.
  • MrDigital 9 Nov 2012 11:56:48 1,866 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    I mean, where are the sane voices for the republicans? Most of what i'm seeing is blamestorming and denial. Digging a deeper, more acidic hole to stick your head in can't be the answer.
    The voices which aren't "sane" are the ones that give them support. Look at the past, the republicans had no monopoly over the South because why would they? The South was poor and the republicans policies favoured the rich. Then the republicans realised if they wanted to get power was if they pursued very conservative social policies to win the South.

Result? The strange situation that the poor South vehemently supports the party which is worse economically for them because of social beliefs.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Khanivor 9 Nov 2012 12:14:17 39,869 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Poe's Law must be regarded in these frothy times.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Nov 2012 12:28:07 41,863 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @LeoliansBro:
    Sorry, only just found your reply buried away now...
    Nixon actually was VP and then got elected, I meant someone who lost a VP election and then went on to attempt to get the presidency...

Yeah, I got it knotted up. Nixon was an elected VP, a defeated Presidential candidate, and then an elected President.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 9 November 2012 15:37:37
    Geesh wrote:
    jellyhead wrote:
    The voices which aren't "sane" are the ones that give them support. Look at the past, the republicans had no monopoly over the South because why would they? The South was poor and the republicans policies favoured the rich. Then the republicans realised if they wanted to get power was if they pursued very conservative social policies to win the South.

Result? The strange situation that the poor South vehemently supports the party which is worse economically for them because of social beliefs.
    It's not really as simple as that - the parties that exist now are literally not the same as the parties that existed even 50 years ago. If anything, the democrats were the traditional rich old boy's club and had a stranglehold over the South (it was the Dems who passed Jim Crow laws, for example) entirely right up until the Civil Rights movement - it was that which changed everything. GOPs effectively then realised that the Dems would lose the South because, broadly speaking, everyone with political power there was a massive racist, and Kennedy et al were strong supporters of Civil Rights (whereas the GOPs were banging the "too much federal government power" drum about it). Nixon aggressively went after the conservative South and won a landslide victory - it wasn't really to do with money. Then the South see-sawed between the two parties, mostly favouring GOPs, until it finally settled where it is, with the reds basically incumbent. GOPs didn't really start being the rich boy's club until the 80s.

The sad part is, the South is mostly incumbent because a strong-but-not-official policy of disenfranchisement exists for black people there.
  • ecureuil 9 Nov 2012 15:40:26 76,014 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is worth three minutes of your time.
  • Psychotext 9 Nov 2012 15:57:13 52,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The full one is even better. It's pure schadenfreude. :D
  • Psychotext 9 Nov 2012 16:26:09 52,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Related, Obama winning has clearly broken some people.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but something tells me that guy needs to be in jail.
  • morriss 9 Nov 2012 16:30:52 70,749 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    This is worth three minutes of your time.
    That's great, yeah.
  • Psychotext 9 Nov 2012 16:40:17 52,777 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Glenn Beck is properly fucking mental: http://www.video.theblaze.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=25475829&topic_id=24584158

He's about one step from telling us to shut the schools and burn the books because they're "indoctrinating" the kids.
  • senso-ji 9 Nov 2012 16:52:59 5,306 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jesus Christ, the stuff Beck was coming out with will make David Icke and Westboro Baptist Church blush with embarrassment.
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 17:03:28
    Everyone knows he's mental, he doesn't believe a word he says either - it's a show for the ratings and his masses. Not sure calling for civil war is a good plan though.
  • jellyhead 9 Nov 2012 17:17:20 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Aargh. I was about to ask that. Does Glen Beck actually believe in what he says as vehemently as he portrays?

• Deleted user 9 November 2012 17:20:18
    "You don't like it? Then move on with your life!"

...huh.
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 17:29:09
    Hang on, he can't go on about Common Sense and the Declaration of Independence after moaning about godless society and moral relativity - both were arguments against despotic governments, not godlessness.

And yyyyeah, he's just got to the "infection" part and I'm not gonna listen to anything else.
  • jellyhead 11 Nov 2012 01:03:08 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    More maps & stats & stuff.

• Nasty 11 Nov 2012 10:58:38 4,726 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dammit, I wanted them to keep skewing the map results so that last one looked like a dobber.
  • FWB 11 Nov 2012 11:02:17 41,923 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    This guy is a class act
    Quality. :D He's actually doing us all a favour isolating himself like that.

Glenn Beck is properly fucking mental: http://www.video.theblaze.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=25475829&topic_id=24584158

He's about one step from telling us to shut the schools and burn the books because they're "indoctrinating" the kids.
    I don't believe he actually believes any of the shit he spouts. He's like the DM. Trolling and making money from it. Of course some people get right into it, but he's milking them. Just a modern day "spiritual leader". The Church has done it for centuries. Hubbard did it more recently well. None of them really believe the shite they produce.

Edited by FWB at 11:10:44 11-11-2012
  • Mola_Ram 11 Nov 2012 11:05:53 6,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd love it if he actually did go out and shit on people's lawns.
  • Page

of 180 First / Last