What's America's problem? Page 154

• Page

of 185 First / Last

• FogHeart 7 Nov 2012 11:57:09 995 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Geesh wrote:
    Only 39% of white Americans voted Obama.
    That's an excellent page there. Really shows that if you're old, rich, white, male and/or married you're likely a Republican.
  • AcidSnake 7 Nov 2012 11:58:41 7,298 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I see...We had those in school to pick the girls you liked most...
    Always organised by the girls...

Don't think it would work in the US though with there only being 2 real candidates...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Psychotext 7 Nov 2012 12:00:05 55,064 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just watched the two speeches. Both pretty good.
  • disusedgenius 7 Nov 2012 12:01:23 5,637 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's just a bit stupid to ask the question when the outcome also suits their views. And to ask the question about the wrong system.

Besides AV would be pretty worthless in a 2 party setup anyway.
  • BillMurray 7 Nov 2012 12:45:16 7,918 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • bad09 7 Nov 2012 12:52:01 6,258 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Ohh well done Colorado and Washington. Nice work.
    Yeah just heard about as someone randomly posted it on PC gamer of all places :)

Still a long way to go but certainly interesting and defiant steps. The booze corporations may need to up the money they pump into the anti-weed movement!
  • ronuds 7 Nov 2012 13:02:40 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think you could ever leave it up to overall vote - there are just too many votes. Imagine if it came down to one candidate challenging the vote? How long would it take to re-count 150m or so votes? We'd never have a new Pres.

I'd propose that the EC is changed by rewarding the Electoral Votes so that they are in proportion to the percentage of votes received in that particular state. There's no reason, imo, that a candidate should receive every Electoral Vote if he wins a state by 2%.

I think then it would be more in line with the popular vote and you wouldn't have one or two states deciding the whole thing. The number of EC votes make it look like Obama won the thing very easily, when in reality it was by less than a percent or something like that (I haven't seen the latest totals, but it was really close last night).

Edit: Sorry - I'm a page behind!

Edited by ronuds at 13:12:44 07-11-2012
  • ronuds 7 Nov 2012 13:14:02 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yeah, Colorado - WOOHOO!!!!! Hopefully this will start a landslide which other states will follow. It's about freakin' time.
  • disusedgenius 7 Nov 2012 13:17:06 5,637 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    From what I saw the other day, all American popular votes seem to be a few percent, to the extent where the current 2.2% difference seems reasonably sizable.
  • ronuds 7 Nov 2012 13:24:27 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I haven't seen the totals since late last night, so Obama extended his lead by a bit. 2.2% isn't that much, though.

Obama beat McCain by 10m, for example.
  • disusedgenius 7 Nov 2012 13:33:12 5,637 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually, looks like I was wrong in terms of history anyway wiki link. Looks like a pretty big range of results. Some much smaller, some much bigger. Clearly you guys aren't a fan of consistency! :)

Edited by disusedgenius at 13:33:30 07-11-2012
  • Psychotext 7 Nov 2012 13:33:29 55,064 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ronuds: Yeah, but back then people had this retarded impression that having a black president was going to change everything... completely forgetting that 99.9% of politicians are fucking useless and can't get anything done because of other parties blocking them anyway.

I still remember the arguments on the night he was elected. :D

Edited by Psychotext at 13:33:53 07-11-2012
  • glaeken 7 Nov 2012 13:42:38 11,266 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was an odd sort of enthusiasm last time around. People were acting like being black was some sort of super power.

The guy had to get where he got by being a politician so expectations that he would be so vastly different to what had come before were silly.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 13:42:53
    as Karl Rove conceded yet?
  • Bremenacht 7 Nov 2012 14:09:42 19,693 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I actually agree with the core of his speech, to be honest, it's the partisan shit, like in-house bickering and GOPs blocking everything Dems try to do simply because they're "the opponents", that'll fuck things up both short and long term.
    And yet they won't change. Reality is unacceptable.

I reckon the recovery will change the normal course of the 2nd term into Obama's best years - 'the best is yet to come', as he said in his victory speech. Obamacare will be affirmed, Bush tax-cuts will not be renewed, growth and jobs will cheer most people.

I think all this could affect the mid-term elections in favour of the Dems, and thus hammer the GoP's default policy of obstruction and impedance into the dirt. The GoP will then either have to go full-right-wing and see how that plays, or attempt to out-cooperate the Dems in order to win favour with swing voters.

Incidentally, with Obamacare being affirmed, I wonder if Cameron will attempt to re-brand the basket-case that he's turning the NHS into and attempt to model it along the lines of Obamacare.
  • RobTheBuilder 7 Nov 2012 14:21:50 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Bremenacht God help the world if the Republicans go more right wing.

I was very proud of America last night. Obama, lesbians, gay marriage, marijuana. Brilliant.
  • AcidSnake 7 Nov 2012 14:26:16 7,298 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With Republicans still having a majority in the house couldn't they hold off on voting a budget like last time unless they get to keep their precious tax cuts?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• LetsGo 7 Nov 2012 14:50:13 5,463 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's going to be the battle of the women at the next elections; Clinton vs. Palin

What a contest that will be
  • RobTheBuilder 7 Nov 2012 14:50:27 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There'll have to be some consensus to get things done, but the Republicans are weaker, and Obama no longer has to be mindful of winning a third term.
  • AcidSnake 7 Nov 2012 14:57:06 7,298 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @LetsGo:
    Jeb Bush or Christie as GOP nominee...Democrats might try Clinton...

Also, does anyone know if you have to nominate a member of the party or can you put forward independents as well? I remember Ron Paul in the GOP primaries but I'm not sure if he's a republican...

Otherwise I'd like to see Bernie Sanders trying his luck as the democratic nominee...

Edited by AcidSnake at 14:57:22 07-11-2012

• RobTheBuilder 7 Nov 2012 14:57:58 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @LetsGo To quote Alien vs Predator:

Whoever wins, we lose.
  • ronuds 7 Nov 2012 15:14:23 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Psychotext - I think it was as much that as it was people being terrified of electing another Republican.

But Republicans need to get on the ball. Everyone sees the party as being stuck in the stone age on certain key issues and that really has to change. To lose this election with the way things are going has to be seen as a giant missed opportunity, imo, although the results aren't at all unexpected.

I wish Obama luck, though. I certainly would like to see things improve - I don't care who's the one doing the improving.
  • GiarcYekrub 7 Nov 2012 15:22:30 3,903 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If your on twitter, I follow this American who was staunch Romney supported, he's not taking the result well ... https://twitter.com/JoeCienkowski
  • Salaman 7 Nov 2012 15:32:47 19,637 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Someone call a doctor. I think the man is going to have a heart attack soon.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 15:34:06
    Fuck me. just wow. what a twat.
  • Feanor 7 Nov 2012 15:39:31 14,185 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The predictions of Dick Morris, professional pundit.

• RedSparrows 7 Nov 2012 15:41:00 24,317 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Christ, he's obsessed.
  • President_Weasel 7 Nov 2012 15:41:38 9,685 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Christie is positioning himself as either:

Governor of Jersey some more (he likes being Governor of Jersey, and it's one of the most powerful governorships in America with the state constitution being what it is)
    The "hey, let's try reality instead of la-la-la I'm not listening land" candidate for 2016.

It would be nice to have even one vaguely competent, vaguely moderate candidate in the race for the Republican nomination; one gets the feeling the Tea Partiers and Evangelists are going to blame the loss on Romney being "not rabid enough" and double down on their craziness. I'd love to see the Republicans splinter into three parties and a new political landscape arise in the US.
    It's past time for it to happen; the Southern Strategy won't work any more due to demographics changes, and the three disparate strands of the current Republican party are pulling in different directions.

- the bible thumping prohibition-loving abortion-hating party
    - the party of Big Defence Spending
    - the party of sucking the cock of big business and slashing the state

If they double down on the crazy and assume their attack machine will carry the day for them and that Romney lost because he didn't hew to the True Faith, I can see them running Palin or Ryan or (insert random crazy from the "deep bench") and getting utterly destroyed in the polls.
  • sport 7 Nov 2012 15:45:19 12,822 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    If your on twitter, I follow this American who was staunch Romney supported, he's not taking the result well ... https://twitter.com/JoeCienkowski
    That's meme!!!!
  • AcidSnake 7 Nov 2012 15:45:57 7,298 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has a defeated VP candidate ever attempted to go for the presidency? I think I remember reading that that had never happened...

• Page

of 185 First / Last