Next
  • neilch 10 Aug 2009 22:22:59 741 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • neilch 1 Oct 2009 10:57:47 741 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Woah, did my first fitness assement yesterday, got a mixture of red and blue grade test results .... I need moar arm powerz!

Going to move up to red bibs in a week or two ...
  • FHUTA 1 Oct 2009 11:07:18 880 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    well done, now stop pretending to be a beginner and don a red bib already!
  • neilch 1 Oct 2009 11:43:55 741 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got some showboating in the beginner group to do first! ;-)
  • Twinkle 1 Oct 2009 12:51:06 542 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had my trial lesson on Saturday morning, my legs just stopped aching yesterday :-( The warm up was tough! I signed up afterwards so I'm hoping I won't find it so bad as my fitness improves :-)

Edit: can't spell
  • Rodney 2 Oct 2009 00:34:40 1,848 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This seems to pretty popular with the poeple who have gone to this.

I am studying to become a personal trainer at the moment and my idea is to take small groups of people and train in the park, similar to this Military Fitness by the sounds of it. I think it is a good business model because the indivual costs to the client is less as it is shared by the group, the trainers can potentially earn more, and no gym space costs. I am buying equipment as I go at the moment but it is mostly going to be kettlebells, skipping ropes and bodyweight exercise so even my equipment costs should be low. I have been training friends for free for the last few months to see what works/doesnt work in small groups and to hone some routines (ripped off crossfit routines mostly)

Could anyone tell me what kinds of exercise you do with this military fitness training stuff? What stuff works/doesnt, what parts do you enjoy?

Do you get any kind of postural assemsment and coaching on exercise technique?

• neilch 28 Jan 2010 14:58:30 741 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Could anyone tell me what kinds of exercise you do with this military fitness training stuff? What stuff works/doesnt, what parts do you enjoy?

Do you get any kind of postural assemsment and coaching on exercise technique?

Running around the park, pressups, squats, lunges, situps and combinations thereof. There are also some team based games like having to run and lay down on the ground to make a letter and then running back to a start point or holding hands with a couple of team mates to form a ring and some one has to get in the middle of the ring.

There are also some games/exercises with props, FHUTA would probably be able to give a fuller description with all the exercise jargon in it.

We don't get (well I haven't) a postural assesment or coaching on exercise technique as such. Although I haven't been to the run club yet, anyone know what they do in those sessions?
  • FHUTA 28 Jan 2010 15:17:16 880 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    well I dare say it's not overly timely (sorry Rodney - I meant to reply when I saw this thread many moons ago), but I'll get a proper answer to that question down in a bit.

But on a tangent now that this ol' thread's been bumped.

Anyone else go when it was snowing the last couple of weeks? Pushing a 5 foot snowball up a slope (between a couple of people) was pretty hard work, but most fun!
  • Destria 28 Jan 2010 15:36:17 2,819 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wish I'd been able to go for that. I was up in Cambridge at the time :(.

The fitness assessments are quite good though. I just got 322 in mine. A few more press-ups and a 1500m run without any silly detours and I'll be into the green zone :D

Edit: Albeit in the "getting the sh1t kicked out of me by the rest of the greens" zone.
  • FHUTA 28 Jan 2010 15:48:43 880 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Destria - 322 and you say you had the lowest number of press-ups of the bunch *and* got a time penalty for going the wrong way on the run! - that's pretty darn solid

I got 213 on my first go (my second week of BMF) and 262 two months later. All middling reds except situps which I'm rubbish at and so only scraped into red on, and the 1500m which was a few seconds into the green.
  • neilch 28 Jan 2010 15:54:58 741 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well running is the only that counts really ;-) Don't worry about the pressups!
  • Destria 28 Jan 2010 15:58:42 2,819 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, I got given 6:30 for the run in the end which probably wasn't that much more. 26 press-ups (/weep), 72 sit-ups, 32 burpees and 1:21 for the shuttle sprints.

So, some are scraping the reds, some are scraping the greens. I'm weird.
  • sport 18 Jun 2010 14:42:49 12,568 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone still doing these "classes"? Ran past 2 groups last night in the Heath and it looked like a 3:1 girl to guy ratio. Hence my interest has been sparked.
  • Destria 18 Jun 2010 15:29:05 2,819 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am, or I would be if I wasn't stuck in Dallas :(
  • sport 18 Jun 2010 15:38:45 12,568 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Destria wrote:
    I am, or I would be if I wasn't stuck in Dallas :(

And? Are the birds well up for it?
  • Destria 18 Jun 2010 16:09:42 2,819 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For rolling around in the mud? Apparently so. I'm currently "seeing" (in a virtual sense) somebody who does BMF. Not met via BMF, just coincidence.

And she likes rolling around in the mud.
  • StringBeanJean 18 Jun 2010 16:15:29 1,777 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a chat with one of the instructorsabout this and they two three sessions in my local park and it's £10 an hour payg, or 20 quid for a week (3 sessions) and something a bit cheaper for a month. Does this sound reasonable? I'm more likely to use it to supplement Rugby training once the season starts again so would probably do just once a week. But at a tenner a pop it's not cheap. What prices are we talking elsewhere?
  • FalseAlibi 18 Jun 2010 17:10:03 89 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Anyone still doing these "classes"? Ran past 2 groups last night in the Heath and it looked like a 3:1 girl to guy ratio. Hence my interest has been sparked.

I've just stopped going to these as I had trouble finding the time, but it was probably 60:40 girl to guy with more guys in the advanced "green bib" section and more girls (3-4:1) in the begginner / easier "blue bib" section. A pretty chatty and sociable bunch generally too.

@ StringBeanJean - all the prices by region are on the website, but generally it's on a par / slightly better value than the gym, but not great value if you only do once a week.

personally I like the look of Rat Race Urban Gym which also seems better value to me, but isn't in that many locations - http://www.ratraceurbangym.com/
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next