News of the World hacking case Page 6

• Page

of 105 First / Last

• Tom_Servo 6 Jul 2011 10:11:13 17,962 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14040841

Now includes payments to the police apparently.

Edited by Dirtbox at 10:06:40 06-07-2011

I think the police payments stuff has been known for years, but it's just coming back into the limelight.

Someone linked a story a few pages back about this William Rees character. Definitely worth a read, the measures he went to are astounding.
  • macksed 6 Jul 2011 10:12:26 3,798 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    surprisingly good interview with Hugh Grant on the topic from Ch4 news yesterday
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5N_YzcaBG4
  • nickthegun 6 Jul 2011 10:18:35 59,937 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:

It's been an open secret in the industry for ages who's been doing this, and more widely know to the public which newspapers have been involved for years now.

It has. My wife used to work for ITN and she said that hacks used to regularly hang around outside their building with receivers, intercepting radio mic transmissions, especially if they had an important guest on.

Which, as an aside, is one of the reasons Gray and Keyes were so stupid. Its TV 101 that radio mics are an open channel to the whole world.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• figgis 6 Jul 2011 10:26:09 7,376 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    News Of The World linked private eyes possibly involved in police corruption and murder for those who missed last nights channel four news.
  • LockeTribal 6 Jul 2011 10:28:46 4,515 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14040841

Now includes payments to the police apparently.

Edited by Dirtbox at 10:06:40 06-07-2011

I think the police payments stuff has been known for years, but it's just coming back into the limelight.

Someone linked a story a few pages back about this William Rees character. Definitely worth a read, the measures he went to are astounding.

Someone linked to this interview transcript from 2003 on twitter. Interesting reading, especially this bit:

467. And on the element of whether you ever pay the police for information?
    (Ms Wade) We have paid the police for information in the past.

468. And will you do it in the future?
    (Ms Wade) It depends—
    (Mr Coulson) We operate within the code and within the law and if there is a clear public interest then we will. The same holds for private detectives, subterfuge, a video bag—whatever you want to talk about.

469. It is illegal for police officers to receive payments.
    (Mr Coulson) No. I just said, within the law.

Chairman: Chris, you have your answer. Thank you very much. We are grateful for your evidence and the courtesy with which you have given your responses.
  • Deleted user 6 July 2011 10:52:56
    Absolutely disgusting they hacked Milly dowler's phone, whoever was responsible should be locked up.
  • Tom_Servo 6 Jul 2011 11:02:48 17,962 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    1032: BBC political editor Nick Robinson reports that News International executives "believe that they have uncovered evidence of who at the News of the World commissioned and sanctioned the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone".
  • El_MUERkO 6 Jul 2011 11:16:08 17,033 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    1032: BBC political editor Nick Robinson reports that News International executives "believe that they have uncovered evidence of who at the News of the World commissioned and sanctioned the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone".

SCAPE GOAT FOUND
  • oceanmotion 6 Jul 2011 11:46:01 15,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If they do have a scape goat won't that scape goat hang them out to dry too ?
  • Deleted user 6 July 2011 11:50:55
    At this point I'm half expecting them to pin it on a dead journalist.
  • President_Weasel 6 Jul 2011 11:51:08 9,324 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hindle wrote:
    Absolutely disgusting they hacked Milly dowler's phone, whoever was responsible should be locked up.

It's no more or less disgusting than that they went around hacking loads of peoples' phones for years.
  • Tom_Servo 6 Jul 2011 11:53:18 17,962 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's a bit more disgusting than the hacking of phones of celebrities that we know about. They deleted voicemail messages to make room for more, which not only gave the girl's family false hope, it also impeded the police investigation. I find it hard to believe that this wouldn't have occurred to the person carrying out the hacking.
  • Dolly 6 Jul 2011 11:56:49 3,225 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    Hindle wrote:

It's no more or less disgusting than that they went around hacking loads of peoples' phones for years.

I'd have to disagree, personally. Apparently it gave the parents of the murdered girl hope that she was still alive, due to their being activity noted on the account. It could also have potentially hindered the police investigation and resulted in wrong leads being pursued. Ultimately, it may have meant that misdirected resources left a killer out on the streets for a few more years, who could have murdered/raped others.

I'd personally say that's worse than who Sienna Miller was boffing from one week to the other.
  • Zerobob 6 Jul 2011 12:22:35 1,606 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    Hindle wrote:

Why don't they just shut The News Of The World down? Frankly, I think this country needs one less shit paper, especially one that seems to break the law on a daily basis.
  • Tom_Servo 6 Jul 2011 13:46:10 17,962 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    :D
  • thelzdking 6 Jul 2011 14:03:55 4,367 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The debate is on BBC Parliament and BBC News 24 now.
  • El_MUERkO 6 Jul 2011 14:06:43 17,033 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chris Bryant vents for us!
  • nickthegun 6 Jul 2011 14:08:28 59,937 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Why don't they just shut The News Of The World down?

Sadly, Britain isnt a facist dictatorship yet.

• Dolly 6 Jul 2011 14:10:50 3,225 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Daily Mail are working on that, once they get rid of the competition...
  • Dynamize 6 Jul 2011 14:16:26 1,672 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shouldn't the police be raiding the offices of the News of the World in order to seize any evidence before it could be destroyed? There must be enough reasonable suspicion to get a warrant or whatnot.
  • nickthegun 6 Jul 2011 14:20:16 59,937 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They arent spymasters, I doubt the fake sheik is stood by a brazier, burning his moleskine.

• Tom_Servo 6 Jul 2011 14:23:05 17,962 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Haha!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Jul 2011 14:29:10 38,225 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I believe in eye-for-an-eye justice. Those responsible should have their voicemail broken in to and their messages deleted.

That'll teach them!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• thedaveeyres 6 Jul 2011 14:32:06 11,067 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    I believe in eye-for-an-eye justice. Those responsible should have their voicemail broken in to and their messages deleted.

That'll teach them!

We'd have to murder their children first, or they won't get the full 'experience'.

Still... probably worth it, tbf tbh tbf.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Dolly 6 Jul 2011 14:33:30 3,225 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's typical that Lulzsec quit the week before this happens. They'd probably have the NOTW's entire computer records out by now..
  • spindizzy 6 Jul 2011 14:38:08 6,526 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think that this is an example of Twitter being used for good:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/06/news-of-the-world-twitter-campaign

It's been pretty incredible watching the campaign grow.
  • Tom_Servo 6 Jul 2011 14:53:04 17,962 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Labour's David Hanson says he has been told that Lord Macdonald, the former director of public prosecutions, has been appointed to advise News International about its dealings with the police.

Grieve (attorney general) says he thinks Macdonald is helping News International with its disclosure process.

Hanson says he is concerned because, when he was police minister, Macdonald briefed him about the News International investigation. He suggests there could be a conflict of interest.

Bloody hell.
  • oceanmotion 6 Jul 2011 14:57:03 15,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder if this will sink the BSKYB takeover. As if he didn't have enough media control, this might shake up, I'll do you a favour deals which I suspect is how they got the go ahead in the first place.
  • disusedgenius 6 Jul 2011 15:05:26 5,331 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bless. ^^
  • Page

of 105 First / Last