North Korea Page 10

  • Page

    of 24 First / Last

  • magicpanda 5 Apr 2013 15:43:20 13,346 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Looks like they might have tested a nuke.

    Powerful 6.2 earthquake reported in Russia near North Korea border.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9973577/North-Korea-missile-threat-latest-live.html
    It's an earthquake in Russia



    Edited by magicpanda at 15:44:31 05-04-2013
  • Psychotext 5 Apr 2013 15:50:20 53,984 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh ok, I thought they were talking about where it was detected.
  • magicpanda 5 Apr 2013 15:59:11 13,346 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Couldn't ask for better timing and location for something like that though. Would love to be a fly on the wall of Nork Command seeing that news come in.
  • Luckyjim 5 Apr 2013 16:01:27 2,873 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think nuclear explosion get anywhere near that on the Richter scale. Being a logarithmic scale as well 6.2 would be a serious release of energy. I may be wrong but I don't think any bomb is capable of that, let alone a Fisher Price NK one.
  • Psychotext 5 Apr 2013 16:04:13 53,984 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The bigger nukes would certainly get there these days, but yeah, not some NK pile of crap.
  • billythekid 5 Apr 2013 16:06:09 11,109 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Little boy was reckoned to be equivalent to 6.0 on the richter scale.
  • thelzdking 5 Apr 2013 16:39:08 4,367 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It would depend on the type of test. As nuclear tests are generally conducted underground these days they will almost certainly register on the Richter scale, even at the very low yields seen in North Korean weapons.
  • Architect_z 5 Apr 2013 16:42:22 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think only Will Smith can resolve this issue with one of his polite raps.
  • ZuluHero 5 Apr 2013 16:44:52 4,104 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's the wild, wild, North. Wiki wiki wa wa.
  • thelzdking 5 Apr 2013 16:46:54 4,367 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The only way to resolve the issue is by conducting our own nuclear test. Does anyone know where we can get a ready-made device, or if not where we can at least get some fissile material?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Apr 2013 17:50:22 37,892 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    The only way to resolve the issue is by conducting our own nuclear test. Does anyone know where we can get a ready-made device, or if not where we can at least get some fissile material?
    From some nice chaps in a camper van

    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

  • thelzdking 5 Apr 2013 17:52:43 4,367 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I forgot about the Libyans.
  • Architect_z 5 Apr 2013 18:04:37 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm goin to Ko-rea!

    Welcome to Ko-rea!
  • Rusty_M 5 Apr 2013 18:30:32 4,656 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wonder what Capt. Hawkeye Pierce thinks of all this.

    The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

  • Luckyjim 5 Apr 2013 19:05:55 2,873 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Little boy was reckoned to be equivalent to 6.0 on the richter scale.
    Was it really? I'd genuinely be interested to find out what nuclear explosions register on the Richter scale. Anyone have any links?
  • Deleted user 5 April 2013 19:18:33
    Watching the news on TV this morning (Channel RL or something?) and it was interesting to hear an American stating that all North Korea wants is to sign a peace treaty, and all America wants is for North Korea to remain as it is: An undesirable place, that is of little interest to anyone, where it's leader spends most of its budget on itís military. In other words, America doesnít want yet another country out their doing well. If true, it appears business is at the heart of the issue. I guess this goes some way to explaining why North Korea has it in for the U.S.

    Edited by blacksea at 19:20:07 05-04-2013
  • Luckyjim 5 Apr 2013 19:21:04 2,873 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    I'm goin to Ko-rea!

    Welcome to Ko-rea!
    Surely Boom! shake the room.
  • brokenkey 5 Apr 2013 19:24:22 6,999 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    that's rubbish though. north Korea could just stop spending on military, no one's going to invade it if they decommissioned the army.

    3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

  • Luckyjim 5 Apr 2013 19:24:35 2,873 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Watching the news on TV this morning (Channel RL or something?) and it was interesting to hear an American stating that all North Korea wants is to sign a peace treaty, and all America wants is for North Korea to remain as it is: An undesirable place, that is of little interest to anyone, where it's leader spends most of its budget on itís military. In other words, America doesnít want yet another country out their doing well. If true, it appears business is at the heart of the issue. I guess this goes some way to explaining why North Korea has it in for the U.S.
    Sounds a little bit 'conspiracy theory' to me. Given the state of NK's economy it'd take a few generations to turn it around. I've heard this is one reason why the South's not keen on reunification - it'd cost them an absolute bomb, and probably the US as well.
  • faux_carnation 5 Apr 2013 19:33:44 9,272 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As usual the "rogue state nuclear threat" is just bullshit cooked up by the military-industrial complex to keep up spending on military and tech.

    Cameron is already shoe-horning this Korea stuff into an excuse to spend billions more on a pointless and wasteful independent nuclear deterrent whilst we apparently don't have enough money to keep libraries open or make sure the unemployed have a roof over their heads.
  • Rodney 5 Apr 2013 21:03:58 1,872 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    As usual the "rogue state nuclear threat" is just bullshit cooked up by the military-industrial complex to keep up spending on military and tech.

    Cameron is already shoe-horning this Korea stuff into an excuse to spend billions more on a poinmaybetless and wasteful independent nuclear deterrent whilst we apparently don't have enough money to keep libraries open or make sure the unemployed have a roof over their heads.
    You seem to be conflating issues a tad. The world's media is conspiring to make North Korea look like a rogue state to help the British Government replace Trident?
  • Metalfish 5 Apr 2013 21:14:36 8,818 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think faux's post is fine if you decouple his paragraphs.
  • Immaterial 5 Apr 2013 21:35:17 1,335 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    As usual the "rogue state nuclear threat" is just bullshit cooked up by the military-industrial complex to keep up spending on military and tech.

    Cameron is already shoe-horning this Korea stuff into an excuse to spend billions more on a poinmaybetless and wasteful independent nuclear deterrent whilst we apparently don't have enough money to keep libraries open or make sure the unemployed have a roof over their heads.
    You seem to be conflating issues a tad. The world's media is conspiring to make North Korea look like a rogue state to help the British Government replace Trident?
    No,† that reads that Cameron is taking advantage of the situation.

    Think I'll just switch everything off.

  • faux_carnation 5 Apr 2013 21:48:17 9,272 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    As usual the "rogue state nuclear threat" is just bullshit cooked up by the military-industrial complex to keep up spending on military and tech.

    Cameron is already shoe-horning this Korea stuff into an excuse to spend billions more on a poinmaybetless and wasteful independent nuclear deterrent whilst we apparently don't have enough money to keep libraries open or make sure the unemployed have a roof over their heads.
    You seem to be conflating issues a tad. The world's media is conspiring to make North Korea look like a rogue state to help the British Government replace Trident?
    I'd say it's in the media's interest to build up the story - fear sells papers. It's in the military's interest to exaggerate the threat so they get more money spent on new toys to play with. It's in the weapons companies' interest to backup the military analysis to win government contracts. People like Cameron just do what they're told by the security advisors.
  • Trowel 5 Apr 2013 21:48:58 17,682 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Prime Minister discusses current affairs directly related to long held policy shocker.
  • faux_carnation 5 Apr 2013 21:51:54 9,272 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also: Trident (or Trident2 or whatever) is definitely pointless. We will never need to act independently with nuclear force. Whether Nukes are required to be held is pssibly a different question, but there's already a NATO scheme for countries to share warheads. Why the fuck can't we just join that?

    Answer : because it would take us down a notch in the dick waving competition of post-colonial states.
  • DanB24 5 Apr 2013 21:52:01 1,890 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://youtu.be/ESIJ_C9mUBI :D Still keeps on being topical even now lol.
  • disusedgenius 5 Apr 2013 21:57:34 5,284 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Answer : because it would take us down a notch in the dick waving competition of post-colonial states.
    ...something which isn't generally the goal of international politics.
  • elstoof 5 Apr 2013 22:11:44 7,035 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Luckyjim wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    Little boy was reckoned to be equivalent to 6.0 on the richter scale.
    Was it really? I'd genuinely be interested to find out what nuclear explosions register on the Richter scale. Anyone have any links?
    Tsar Bomba was allegedly 8.1 on the scale, by far the largest release of energy by mankind.

    Second place is Chris Waddle's penalty hoof, that fucker went orbital.
  • Chopsen 5 Apr 2013 22:11:57 15,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Prime Minister discusses current affairs directly related to long held policy shocker.
    Well, quite. Also "military industrial complex"
    is the new "1984." Any validity to the argument is undermined by stereotypes and cliche.
    The phrase is not fit for purpose.
  • Page

    of 24 First / Last

Log in or register to reply