GTA Chinatown Wars Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• SYS64738 23 Oct 2009 11:40:25 1,650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not really. I referred to a remark in one of the EG articles (from what I remember). Never mind - it was a joke!

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• Murbal 23 Oct 2009 11:42:07 22,053 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Going to pick it up at lunch. Hope it has an install option to help the battery and load times!
  • SYS64738 23 Oct 2009 11:47:25 1,650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Will DL later (despite nasty price tag, but I'm too impatient to wait for mail orders to arrive in weeks rather than days), I hope I won't be disappointed as I'm so used to 3D GTA's now.

• Pure-Ultra 23 Oct 2009 16:34:07 741 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quick question - can you use the analogue nub to move the character around?
  • dsmx 23 Oct 2009 21:11:38 7,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't know you had a choice, I thought you could only use the nub to move your character.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Murbal 25 Oct 2009 21:26:09 22,053 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yes. This is seriously slick on PSP...
  • Murbal 27 Oct 2009 10:45:39 22,053 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really really enjoying this. Navigating the streets feels easier than it ever did on the DS due to the screen size and it looks fantastic. The implementation of the touch screen stuff has been dumped on the nub and shoulder buttons which varies from 'suitable' to 'pointless' and there are numerous loading/saving pauses but overall I still prefer it on this format.

/heads off to go kart track
  • ratso 27 Oct 2009 18:23:53 1,008 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really think this is a bit crap. I dont understand why it got such great reviews and i'm only comparing it to gta 1&2.

Its pretty difficult to control and the camera is very restrictive even when compared to gta1.

Its just too fiddly for me, gta 1 didnt need lock-on targeting and was a much more satisfying game to play.
  • PinkSpider 27 Oct 2009 18:32:11 3,346 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    Future Cop always looked interesting to me back in the day but I've never played it. Worth a punt?

Minor derail but so what.

Future Cop LAPD for $5AUD is a steal. It's a nice 3D sort of top down shooter ala Desert Strike/etc. Controls well if you tweak the configuration and plays rather nicely as you go through the missions destroying enemies and getting powerups. Simple but fun. Makes certain PSP minis look like blackmail.
    Another minor derail.

The multiplayer mode, despite being easy is really good. You get bases, create tanks/ flying things and fight with your guy too.

Shall be getting it soon methinks :) (when I get get on a PC :( ).
  • GeeMacca 27 Oct 2009 18:33:18 2,794 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    I didn't know you had a choice, I thought you could only use the nub to move your character.

You can select Nub or Dpad, Dpad all the way for me!
  • PhoenixFlames 30 Dec 2009 17:49:37 8,942 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This worth it at 12.99?

PSN - phoenix1flames

• SYS64738 30 Dec 2009 17:57:15 1,650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No brainer at that price. Good fun and slick production values.

• PhoenixFlames 30 Dec 2009 18:07:32 8,942 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    No brainer at that price. Good fun and slick production values.

That's good enough for me.

/orders

PSN - phoenix1flames

• INSOMANiAC 12 Mar 2010 10:31:06 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just arrived this morning (a mere 4.99 from play.com) completed it on DS already and thought it was really overhyped but enjoyable so thought Id give it another bash on PSP for that price, graphics certainly look a lot better but i actually preferred the ds D-Pad controls, the Analogue controls feel a little bit 'floaty' imo

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Flying_Pig 12 Mar 2010 10:33:43 10,860 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm in the same boat as you, except I really enjoyed it on DS. 4.99 was too good to miss, but I don't know when I'll get to play it....
  • INSOMANiAC 12 Mar 2010 10:35:23 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    I'm in the same boat as you, except I really enjoyed it on DS. 4.99 was too good to miss, but I don't know when I'll get to play it....

I completed the DS version in two sittings so Ill expect to do the the same on this one, dont if its just the first time you save but it seemed to take an AGE to save at the first safehouse

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Murbal 12 Mar 2010 10:37:22 22,053 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    INSOMNiAC - you can set up the controls so you use the D-pad instead of the nub.
  • INSOMANiAC 12 Mar 2010 10:41:19 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dont know if its my eyes but the graphics actually seem really blurry, Id forgotten to turn off the stupid driving assist , its a lot better now thats off

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 12 Mar 2010 10:41:40 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    INSOMNiAC - you can set up the controls so you use the D-pad instead of the nub.

Cheers, I think ill do just that

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Kay 12 Mar 2010 10:47:33 17,798 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Dont know if its my eyes but the graphics actually seem really blurry

That's just because of the old PSP screen (assuming that's the one you're using). CW in particular seems to suffer really badly (gave it a try on my old PSP and couldn't stand the blurriness, especially when compared to the iPhone version).
  • INSOMANiAC 12 Mar 2010 10:51:44 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am using the psp 2003, (I got rid of the 3000 because I found the blur more acceptable than the jagged lines of the 3000) but even when stationary it just blurry and undefined, especially compared to ds version, seems to have lost a bit of the art style. The blur is a problem though, you'd have thought developers would have sorted that out by now most PSP games dont suffer at all from it anymore, dead head fred though.... that is the worst offender !

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 13 Mar 2010 13:14:49 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ive come to the conclusion the game is pretty cack on PSP, at least if yove played the DS version it is.

The graphics are blurred, the much vaunted soundtrack is average, the loading when opening the menu etc is a pain but the biggest piece of shitness is the X button which needs to be pressed right in the middle or it doesnt work. Sick to death of my car suddenly crawling to a halt and have you tried to do a flying kick with X and circle ? its hit amd miss to say the least. The DS version wins on this occasion im afraid.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Retroid Moderator 13 Mar 2010 13:53:31 44,505 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My 4.99 copy arrived but it seems (as I expected would be the case) it's wanting me to update my firmware, something I'm not really wanting to do as it'd stop me playing Spectrum & C64 games on it :(

/Searches for some manner of work-around
  • jonsaan 14 Mar 2010 09:14:44 25,340 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can't polish a turd Insomniac. It's not a very good game full stop. Uninspired and lacking the magic of radio stations and decent music that usually brings the games to life. A lengthy and unrewarding slog on DS and PSP.

FCUTA!

• jonsaan 14 Mar 2010 09:16:27 25,340 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Plus I don't know what you mean about the x button. That must be your psp. I never had that issue on either of mine with it.

FCUTA!

• INSOMANiAC 14 Mar 2010 09:21:41 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    it happens on all psp ive owned, if you are not pressing the button right in the middle it doesnt register properly, the main time its a problem is if your pressing it with the joint of your thumb with the main part on the square button, it really winds me up about the psp.

Just been playing the game again because im bored and its definitely not as good as the DS version, a pointless exercise and quite how it managed to score above the full 3d excellence that is vice city stories is beyond me. Back to Everybodys golf and Silent Hill origins.

One more thing, all PSP games these days should have an 'install to memory card' option, its ridiculous makes you want to 'chip' the machine !

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• jonsaan 14 Mar 2010 11:17:35 25,340 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah. That's pretty much why I never bother with UMDs these days, even on the 2000. I think CW was a pretty pointless exercise on the psp because, as you say, Vice City and Liberty city are just fantastic.

I really hope they get back to basics for the music in GTA5. I thought the stations and music in GTA4 was poor also. I wonder if we will ever see Vice City stories? I doubt it somehow.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 14 March 2010 11:28:37
    Vice City Stories is out ;-P
    Ehm, I beg to differ. Enjoyed both DS and PSP version of CTW. The DS version for "OH my God, it's GTA on the little DS!" factor and its custom-madeability (?) for the touch screen. The PSP verision for "Oh, look it's the DS version on the PSP with better graphics and added missions!" factor. Plus some minigames were applied very well using the L+R buttons as a substitute for the stylus.
    EDIT: Oh yeah and I also LOVE the two "Stories" GTAs on the PSP, they are among my most played games
  • INSOMANiAC 14 Mar 2010 11:54:17 3,829 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    I wonder if we will ever see Vice City stories? I doubt it somehow.

I assume you mean San Andreas Stories in which case Id put money on Sony spending a hell of a lot of money to get it as a PSP2 launch title

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Page

of 3 First / Last