Sonos Users' Thread Page 3

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• Deleted user 16 October 2011 20:09:20
    Ooh, so how do I make my MBP have an autoIP address?

(pushing my luck now I know!)
  • mrpon 16 Oct 2011 20:10:20 28,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And here my support ends. PC guy.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 16 October 2011 20:15:07
    Haha, I'll let you off then.

Fuck it, I'll go chase a squirrel or something until tuesday comes and I can use my new toy. Cheers for your help though! :)
  • Whatsfor 16 Oct 2011 21:31:16 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PC guy too. I am also guessing that Mowgli didn't buy a controller, the iPhoney controller needs to talk through a router to the Play:3 so won't work until a router is in place. Also with no internet you can't download the Sonos desktop controller?

Also also because the mac is not DLNA compliant I am guessing Mowgli can't use AutoIP etc...?
  • Deleted user 16 October 2011 21:34:48
    I've got a 3G dongle so I can download anything I need. I have Windows 7 installed so if you can point me towards a guide that means I will be able to get up and running just for the meantime with a Play:3, Zone bridge and laptop I would love you.
  • mrpon 16 Oct 2011 21:41:43 28,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doesn't the controller software come on a CD with the Play?

• Deleted user 16 October 2011 21:47:16
    mrpon wrote:
    Doesn't the controller software come on a CD with the Play?
    Yeahgoing through set up and it ask me to connect router and press button to connect. Tried connecting straight to PC and pressing button but nothing.
  • Whatsfor 16 Oct 2011 21:49:00 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CD? What's that?
  • mrpon 16 Oct 2011 22:06:40 28,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

Difficult to guide you mow with your limited knowledge, might be best to wait for the router.

If you're desperate look at this.

• Deleted user 18 October 2011 13:22:29
    All set up \o/

Very fast but for the ball ache that was getting Spotify to work. Would not recognise my password.

Can't believe the level of sound you can get from this tiny we thing. Got it teetering at medium, trying to adjust it on the iphone and a slight change and it booms out!

But is it just me or is there not way to see the what's new on Spotify? Kinda sucks if so, I want Spotify as I want to experience new music, not just search for the shitty limited collection I'm aware off. I can just go to Spotify and see, but you can't (or can you?) play straight from the Spotify app.
  • Phattso Moderator 18 Oct 2011 13:33:40 13,334 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On mine there's a Spotify section and it shows all the trending stuff - 'what's new' as well as 'what's hot' and so on. I'm using the iPad Sonus app.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2011 13:35:46
    Ooh cool. I'll go grab the iPad. The desktop controller doesn't appear to be that great. My phone and the iPad seem to be much better.
  • Phattso Moderator 18 Oct 2011 13:37:04 13,334 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Erm, the desktop app is practically identical to the iPad one. They're all functionally equivalent I think.

Note that some Spotify features are only available for certain account types. We're on the fiver a month one, perhaps that makes a difference?
  • Deleted user 18 October 2011 13:43:22
    I'm on the premium one (free trial), where on the iPad app are you finding the 'What's new'? I click on the Spotify icon and just get Starred and any play lists I have made.

I thought you needed the 10 a month in order to use Spotify? Will have to look at that again.
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Oct 2011 13:44:50 35,556 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sonos is shit, it's the Apple of the music streaming world. Overpriced, restricted usability. Squeezebox is where it's at.

Don't think we had one of those flamewars yet, did we?

The Squeezebox is an unreliable piece of shit, btw.
  • Phattso Moderator 18 Oct 2011 14:21:07 13,334 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I'm on the premium one (free trial), where on the iPad app are you finding the 'What's new'? I click on the Spotify icon and just get Starred and any play lists I have made.

I thought you needed the 10 a month in order to use Spotify? Will have to look at that again.

I'm not at home so I can't check - fairly sure I saw that last night though. Will report back tonight if I remember.

And no - we're using Spotify just fine on the 5 sub, but we don't have the highest bitrate streams and I think there's some other functionality we lose like not being able to download and play things offline, etc. etc.
  • mrpon 18 Oct 2011 14:22:27 28,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Sonos is the shit
    I agree :)

• Phattso Moderator 18 Oct 2011 14:23:52 13,334 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Sonos is shit, it's the Apple of the music streaming world. Overpriced, restricted usability. Squeezebox is where it's at.

Don't think we had one of those flamewars yet, did we?

The Squeezebox is an unreliable piece of shit, btw.

My only complaint is that it's an ugly piece of shit. Compared to some of the other models on the market, the Sonos really has no excuse to look the way it does. But our requirement was simply NAS support, Spotify support, WiFi, and decent client apps for desktop, mobile and iPad all of which it does well. Pricey, but very much over the moon with it. The flat was a bit wrong without music - and now that's solved. :)
  • Deleted user 18 October 2011 14:24:54
    Phattso wrote:

mowgli wrote:

I'm not at home so I can't check - fairly sure I saw that last night though. Will report back tonight if I remember.

And no - we're using Spotify just fine on the 5 sub, but we don't have the highest bitrate streams and I think there's some other functionality we lose like not being able to download and play things offline, etc. etc.
    Cheers dude, it's a bit of a deal breaker for me unless I can figure out an alternative.

Will hve to look at the spotify sub- 5pm will be a lot easier to sell to the missus than 10!
  • Whatsfor 26 Oct 2011 21:45:56 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So how's your first week gone Mowgli? Sorted out that subscription yet?
  • mrpon 26 Oct 2011 21:52:14 28,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    £100 he's sold it already.

• Whatsfor 26 Oct 2011 21:58:16 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    200 he's traded it for an AirPlay zeppelin.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 26 Oct 2011 21:58:48 7,767 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Squeezebox man myself. A 3 in the sitting room and radio in the kitchen.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2011 22:14:26
    Haha not sold it yet!

It's good. Still can't believe the sound you get out of this thing. It barely moves above 1/3. Got 4 months free of Spotify (with Three.co.uk) so plenty of time to decide whether to pay for the sub or not. I am a bit disappointed with how Spotify is implemented though. No "What's New" and a very basic search is a bit of a shame. But I have gotten round that for now by saving new albums as playlists. A bit of a pain but it will do for now.

Still feelling a bit queazy about the price. Great system of course but I've never paid so much on 'audio equipment' before.
  • Whatsfor 26 Oct 2011 22:20:31 2,189 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Napster definitely gives you more search options and sections like "whats new", billboard charts, etc.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2011 22:48:16
    Sweet I'll try it out then.
  • Deleted user 4 November 2011 17:50:15
    Don't hate me please but I had to return it. Flipping brilliant system and I recommend it to anyone who is remotely on the fence, but I couldn't justify 230 on something I ended up barely using. Didn't help that I wanted it for the kitchen but it struggled maintaining a connection. Maybe again in the future when I've got more pennies to spare.
  • Deleted user 4 November 2011 17:50:53
    mrpon wrote:
    £100 he's sold it already.
    :D

... embarrassed face
  • mrpon 4 Nov 2011 17:57:24 28,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Unbelievable. You've got magpie-itis!

• Phattso Moderator 4 Nov 2011 18:00:36 13,334 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You're a very strange man, has anyone ever told you that?

This is almost as bewildering as Darren buying games on all three platforms so if he clogs one up with jizz he can just move onto the next. Or Duffman selling and re-buying his PS3 every two months. :)
  • Page

of 14 First / Last