Sonos Users' Thread Page 2

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• mrpon 23 Feb 2011 23:06:50 28,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thought about a RipNAS? It's the one box solution you're looking for.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Chopsen 23 Feb 2011 23:23:04 15,830 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any NAS that supports windows file sharing/sabma will work with sonos. My router has a usb port in the back I've connected a usb hdd to, and the sonos works from that great! No computer running.

the S5 is great, but its a specific solution to a specific problem - all in one portable unit that connects automagically to your networked music collection. Considering it's size it sounds great, and considering what it does it works flawlessly. But it can't match the zp90 hooked up to a decent sound system or (I'd imagine) a zp120 and some decent speakers.
  • Chopsen 23 Feb 2011 23:24:17 15,830 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ^ post needs more "great"
  • mrpon 23 Feb 2011 23:29:04 28,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well he's certainly less clueless now Chop!

Sabma?! ;)

• Chopsen 23 Feb 2011 23:36:27 15,830 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "sabma" is the little know term used by us elite types when discussing samba.
  • Whatsfor 24 Feb 2011 00:49:32 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The musicm8 xiva is actually distributed by the same company that distributes Sonos and it works very well...
  • Whatsfor 21 Apr 2011 20:38:34 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sonos app for android devices now available!
  • mrpon 21 Apr 2011 21:23:08 28,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't forget the AirPlay support as well!

• Whatsfor 22 Apr 2011 00:15:10 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah and the autoplay for line in devices on your S5.

This one is handy as I've just bought two more S5s for the kitchen so will be good to listen to audio books from my phones headphones jack...
  • Deleted user 15 October 2011 12:51:58
    So, recommended? My 25th in a few days, new flat, new job etc. has convinced me to treat myself. Looking at the Play:3, and right now it includes the Zone Bridge for free.

Do you guys use yours a lot? Mu music collection is pretty pants but I think it is the access to Spotify and the like that is selling it to me.

My concern is the sound quality, is it good?
  • mrpon 15 Oct 2011 14:24:39 28,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Recommended: yes, expensive though if it's just a single zone.
    Usage: yes, daily.
    Sound Quality: not used the Play:3, but I've played with the previous version and it was very good. All depends on your source material as well. Also depends how big/small the room is where you're thinking of using it.

Some tips: buy from simplysonos.co.uk and don't buy the CR200 controller. I sold mine as there are iOS and Android apps, I had controllers coming out of my ears! A NAS device is a nice to have as it removes the need to have your PC/Mac on.

• Deleted user 16 October 2011 15:04:42
    Cheers for the help, decided to go for it. Look forward to my beating tomorrow when the missus finds out! :(

May not be the thread for it but I'm seriously hovering over the Spotify premium account as it is what you need to use with the Sonos. And well, that was the main reason I bought it! Anyone paired up a Spotify premium account with their Sonos system? Any complaints?
  • mrpon 16 Oct 2011 15:53:10 28,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've seen the offer on at Simply Sonos at the moment I presume? Probably the best way to see if it's for you or not.

I personally don't use any "rental" services, my catalogue plus the extensive free radio streams (iheartradio, deezer etc..) are sufficient for my needs.

Good luck, hope it's a keeper for you ;)

• Whatsfor 16 Oct 2011 16:30:08 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I work for a company which sells Sonos. If you find any deals PM them to me and I can see if I can better it (the margin on Sonos is shit though so don't take this as any great promise).

I'm in Stirling Mowgli, so not a million miles away from you for dispatch. Also my boss owns half of Tayside Audio Visual (AKA Aberdeen Sony Centre).
  • Whatsfor 16 Oct 2011 16:33:13 2,189 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    By the way I use Napster instead of Spotify (purely because I've used it since before the Spotify was available to Sonos).

It's only 5 a month instead of Spotify's 10 and it has a larger library of music (albeit it at a slightly lower (yet unnoticeable on Sonos) bitrate).

/Open bracket

/Close bracket
  • Deleted user 16 October 2011 16:45:29
    I went for the 259 with free zone bridge and I have a staff discount card I can use - John Lewis - to bring it down even more. Cheers for the offer though. :)

I think I saw a free trial for Spotify premium so will give it a shot. I'm away to pick it up now - when the bloody bus comes- bit dot have Internet for a few days. Can I assume I can still have it just connected to my laptop and its music for the time being? I'm not very patient when it comes to playing with my toys...
  • mrpon 16 Oct 2011 17:33:27 28,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm, not sure if you need to be connected to register. Prepare yourself for anger! Is this another impulse purchase or have you done your research?

• Deleted user 16 October 2011 18:28:05
    I've done ... Some research! But it started talking about NAS somethin or other and I zoned out. :D
  • Phattso Moderator 16 Oct 2011 18:33:27 13,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just randomly, I bought the Sonos Play:5 for my new flat today. Just about to start setting it up. :)

Ugly fucking thing, but couldn't justify the cost for that blimp looking thing with WiFi.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2011 18:48:20
    Fuck you and your Play:5.

Play:3 REPRESENT

Just got in the door. Prepare for the barrage of WHY NO WORK questions.
  • mrpon 16 Oct 2011 18:57:05 28,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /logs out

• Deleted user 16 October 2011 19:03:10
    GET BACK HERE NOW

Ok, I don't have a router with me but I assumed - always a good idea when I'm involved - that just connecting it to the ethernet port on my laptop would do the trick. It isn't. Any ideas? I don't want to wait until Tuesday...
  • Phattso Moderator 16 Oct 2011 19:09:33 13,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Play:5 rockzorz my soxxorz. App rocking on iPhone, iPad and Android (just 'cos we can). NAS detected instantly, Spotify working fine. All in all, great buy.
  • mrpon 16 Oct 2011 19:12:54 28,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    GET BACK HERE NOW

Ok, I don't have a router with me but I assumed - always a good idea when I'm involved - that just connecting it to the ethernet port on my laptop would do the trick. It isn't. Any ideas? I don't want to wait until Tuesday...
    I stopped reading at router. And laughed.

Source

• Phattso Moderator 16 Oct 2011 19:14:07 13,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When you've finished monging out, you routerless twonk, just hook it up with an audio mini-jack. Rock the 80's tech.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2011 19:17:35
    Play:3 doesn't have line in... :(

Kinda figured this would be the case but a small part of me hoped there would be a work around. I guess I'll just look at the blinking searching light for two days.
  • Phattso Moderator 16 Oct 2011 19:24:01 13,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did I mention how awesome the Play:5 is? And if my router bites the dust, I can just jack in to that bad boy. I'm sure I must have mentioned it...
  • mrpon 16 Oct 2011 19:27:56 28,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, you've tried plugging the bridge into the laptop via ethernet and letting it AutoIP? ie: a 169 address. Then go through the adding a zone/player process on the controller. Not ideal, but it should work for you.

• Deleted user 16 October 2011 19:32:37
    I have absolutely no idea what you just said, AutoIP? 169 address?

All I know is that I'm stuck on the setup screen where it is asking me to press to connect on the system or bridge. I've tried them both connected to the macbook via the ethernet connection. I even stumbled onto creating a shared network but remembered I have no idea what the flip I'm doing.

I just want to use it as a portable speaker until my internet comes.

Hey Phattso, want to swap?
  • mrpon 16 Oct 2011 20:06:08 28,694 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=403

• Page

of 14 First / Last