Magic: The Gathering XBLA

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Hunam 19 Jun 2009 21:15:03 20,674 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, is it any good? Can anyone recommend it?
  • Slurmseh 19 Jun 2009 21:37:27 2,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is copied from my posts in the XBLA thread:
    I bought it simply cos I used to be addicted to Magic as a kid! The AI does seem a bit dodgy at times though, but overall its fairly enjoyable.

I wanna get the campaign done to unlock all decks before I try online.

I do notice there's a download content section so Im guessing they'll add DLC decks in the future. I'd like if they did 4th, 5th and 6th edition decks cos those are what I used to use.

There's also a challenge mode that's quite good. You're given a scenario and you have to win the game in one turn with the cards provided. Some are real tricky!
  • Hunam 19 Jun 2009 21:38:37 20,674 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How would it do for an absolute beginner?
  • speedofthepuma 19 Jun 2009 21:40:15 13,321 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, what's the basic premise for someone who knows nothing except for those laughable adverts on magazines?

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Slurmseh 19 Jun 2009 21:40:41 2,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well there seems to be a mentor system over live that could help beginners. There's also a tutorial and tooltips to tell you about effects of cards and other such things. Try the demo as that will give you an idea of whether or not you'll find it comprehendible.

EDIT: speedofthepuma. Basically you have a deck of cards that is either one single colour (from a choice of 5) or else a combination of colours. These colours are related to your spells; Red = Attack & Instant Damage, Blue = Spells and Counterspells, Green = Creatures and buffs, Black = Damage and card destruction and White = Healing. All the colours have creature cards and enchantments, instants (cards you can play at any point in the game regardless if it's your turn or not) and sorcery cards.

In order to play a card you must have enough mana, these are related to the colour of your deck so Red = Mountain, Blue = Island, Green = Forest, Black = Swamp and White = Plains. You are allowed place one mana card per turn, so it takes time in order to receive enough mana to play your powerful spells.

The aim of the game is to deplete the other players life, through your own spells and creature attacks. You start the game by drawing 7 cards (ideally 3 or 4 of these cards should be mana) and then the fun begins.

There's more to it than that but that's the basic premises and its made this probably the longest forum post I've ever written! Hope it helps!
  • Spectral 19 Jun 2009 21:43:39 5,024 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Also, what's the basic premise for someone who knows nothing except for those laughable adverts on magazines?

Ever seen yu-gi-oh? Same kind of set up to that, but different rules and not all anime.
  • speedofthepuma 19 Jun 2009 21:45:11 13,321 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks, I used to play a card-battle rpg on the gamecube (never been able to remember the damn name), that I enjoyed, might give this a go.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• TheLittlestHobo 20 Jun 2009 01:34:39 93 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you like this sort of thing its well worth 800 points imo. Few niggly bugs (one where the game asks you to discard a card but you cant - fixed by pushing up on the left stick) but otherwise Stainless have done a great job.

Used to play Magic 10+years ago, so was quite easy for me to get back into it. Hope they just add new decks over time and avoid going into micro transaction hell.

Anyway kudos to the devs.

*makes a wish to see Netrunner get the same treatment*
  • ardamillo 20 Jun 2009 02:09:26 525 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Thanks, I used to play a card-battle rpg on the gamecube (never been able to remember the damn name), that I enjoyed, might give this a go.
    Lost Kingdoms? The card-combat in MTG is way more interesting.
  • ardamillo 20 Jun 2009 09:57:33 525 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Question for someone with HDTV: can you read the cards without zooming in?
  • lucky_jim 20 Jun 2009 10:21:10 5,353 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Baten Kaitos on the Cube also had a card battle system, speedofthepuma.

Give the trial a go if you're unsure, the tutorial explains things pretty well. Never played MTG (I'm 30, so the craze for the cards kicked off too late for me) but the potential depth to the game is obvious after playing the trial. I didn't like it enough to buy it yet, but I can feel there's a chance I might warm to it after a few more goes on the demo.
  • repairmanjack 20 Jun 2009 10:55:27 6,082 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is this Eye of Judgement without the Eye then?
  • Rack 20 Jun 2009 11:11:35 10 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is absolutely awful, you can't really change the decks as they come, all you can do is add cards to them, the interface is unbelievably clunky and slow and the decks are far too basic to have any kind of strategy. The free trial you get with Magic Online is far superior.
  • CalmBlueOcean 20 Jun 2009 19:22:47 281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bit harsh to say the interface is clunky... you are using a control pad, it was never going to be as slick as MTG:o which has the rather substantial advantage of a mouse pointer. All things considered its pretty good I reckon.

Though I agree about the deck customisation. I think its a good thing that you can't build an entirely new deck from scratch, as then noobs would be faced with some highly tuned pro decks all the time and soon lose interest, but it does frustrate me that I can't take any of the obvious junky cards out of some decks. (e.g. those bloody craw wurms in the starting green deck) or fix the more glaring mana issues on some of the multi-coloured decks (a three colour deck using basic land should not be running four Furnace Whelps! WTF?!)

The AI makes some odd decisions but MTG is a surprisingly complicated game to teach a computer to play, so that seems fair enough, and I'm definitely enjoying it overall, and the final deck that Tezzerek the bummer (or whatever his name is) is pretty much a tourney-standard deck built around an artifact creatures concept. Sadly it doesnt look like you can unlock that one, so I'm guessing its DLC for the future (which kinda raises some issues I suspect cos its brutally strong compared to the others in the game)

• Slurmseh 20 Jun 2009 19:25:14 2,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really wish you could create your own decks! I want a Blue/white Counterspell and life raising deck with just flying creatures! Used to destroy my mates with that deck back in the day!
  • Spectral 20 Jun 2009 19:30:04 5,024 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, a collectable card game where you can't make your own decks is an absurd decision. Especially since in rival games (yu-gi-oh) you can.
  • CalmBlueOcean 20 Jun 2009 19:45:12 281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think its for the online... they don't want noobs running their junky lifegain/counterspell decks into a proper, fully tuned, turn 4 kill goblin Sligh :D
  • Spectral 20 Jun 2009 19:47:25 5,024 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So they could just have a filter so you can select to only play people with default decks. part of the fun is making the deck.
  • Slurmseh 20 Jun 2009 19:47:34 2,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CalmBlueOcean wrote:
    I think its for the online... they don't want noobs running their junky lifegain/counterspell decks into a proper, fully tuned, turn 4 kill goblin Sligh :D
    Hey!
  • CalmBlueOcean 20 Jun 2009 20:21:30 281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LOL j/k

seriously though I dunno if making the decks IS all that much fun if you play in an online environment. Without the limiting effect of "what cards you can afford/own" the online game quickly degenerates into two or three known "best" decks and then you aren't making a deck anyway, you are just picking from much better precons with even less choice than you'd have now.

Just played a guy online, demolished him pretty nicely cos he'd added those silly lifegain artifacts to his mono green beatdown deck, so there IS some deck construction elements to the game :)
  • Slurmseh 20 Jun 2009 22:23:28 2,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I played a guy last night with and he ragequit on me when I steamrolled him! He chose an opening hand that only had 2 mana, muppet! The green/black Elf deck destroyed him, specially considering the amount of beats you can get out and then playing coat of arms!
  • AccidentProne 20 Jun 2009 23:17:46 1,174 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm getting really sick of people quitting games I'm about to win. Something like half the games I've won, or would have, my opponent has buggered off before the end. Anyone else finding this or am I just getting really unlucky with opponents?

Oh and can someone explain how the 3 and 4 player matches work? I've only played standard 2 player matches up to now.
  • RedSparrows 20 Jun 2009 23:51:09 24,317 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I liked Lost Kingdoms on the GC. Never finished it :(
  • kestral 22 Jun 2009 10:59:27 70 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seeing people talk more about the experience rather than the game must mean it's at least not bad.
  • DFawkes 22 Jun 2009 11:08:10 24,118 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's Magic The Gathering in game form. If that's your cup of tea, it does the job quite nicely. I was concerned it wouldn't allow me to play cards to interrupt things in the same way, but it does just fine. Well worth a punt I'd say, though I now prefer the Free Realms TCG since I realised quickly I'm not good at M:TG. I can only get thrashed so much!

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• thegamesthething 22 Jun 2009 11:20:52 1,079 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Absolute beginner here, bought M:TG at the weekend - as mentioned, it does a pretty good job of being a virtual card game, nicely presented but a bit ponderous.

Good tutorial, and a big glossary, has answered all my questions so far.

Not much to the campaign I have seen so far (certainly nothing like Puzzle Quest), campaign seems to be just a dozen or so battles to win against gradually stronger opponents, plus a few challenges. Replay value (other than the online, which I haven't tried yet) comes in the form of a new card unlocked for each battle victory, even if it's someone in the campaign you've already beaten.

Worth a buy I would say, not spectacular but all-in-all pretty good value.
  • Onny 22 Jun 2009 11:24:02 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CalmBlueOcean wrote:
    seriously though I dunno if making the decks IS all that much fun if you play in an online environment. Without the limiting effect of "what cards you can afford/own" the online game quickly degenerates into two or three known "best" decks and then you aren't making a deck anyway, you are just picking from much better precons with even less choice than you'd have now.

You could easily add a filter for "custom decks" and "pre-built decks", though. So if you wanted, you could play with ONLY people using the pre-built decks.
  • clockworkzombie 22 Jun 2009 23:16:50 379 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I recently quit playing Magic as I was spending way too much money and then being too busy at work to play. I enjoy the black cards more than any other colour. I am enjoying this game but am a little wary of the amount of micro-transactions that will appear.

I am playing through the tournament mode with the green deck at the moment. The wolf token card was pretty sweet it came out when I was going to win anyway. I suspect it might be a win more kinda card.
  • RabidChild 22 Jun 2009 23:21:10 2,293 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm kinda bored of this already - there really should be a proper deck editor.
  • clockworkzombie 23 Jun 2009 22:38:20 379 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CalmBlueOcean wrote:

You're behind the times somewhat.

Turn 2 is the new turn 4, in other interesting news Lightning Bolt is returning to standard.

Turn 1: land, Lightning Bolt. Go. Ha.

:)
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous