Resigning from work

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Mike_Hunt 16 Jun 2009 15:52:59 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm due to have to do this shortly (tomorrow). I've only ever had to resign once before and that was very amicable. I suspect that tomorrow's resignation will certainly not go well due to issues of timing and just wondered if anyone had any horror stories that I can use to prepare myself for the worst... basically I'm concerned about getting shafted over remaining pay, holidays and being forced to payback training fees etc.

[MH]
  • figgis 16 Jun 2009 15:54:47 7,382 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Resign with a proper letter and send it to your Manager and HR department.
  • TheStylishHobo 16 Jun 2009 15:55:08 3,193 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What are you resigning over?
  • professorrev 16 Jun 2009 15:56:00 11 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ive never had to do any resigning but if they do try to screw you out of anything without having expressly legislated for it in your contract of employment, then I have one word for you

Tribunal
  • Lutz 16 Jun 2009 15:56:00 48,854 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dear Boss,

Laters,

Yours,

Mike_Hunt

Should work. *ahem* Bit drastic though M_H given these times... ?
  • mrpon 16 Jun 2009 15:56:37 27,657 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Make sure you stinkpalm the boss.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Spanky 16 Jun 2009 15:57:30 14,448 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you have to give them anything back(money etc) it'd be cheaper and easier just to buy another identity from shadey dave.

Plubs

• Lutz 16 Jun 2009 15:57:54 48,854 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheStylishHobo wrote:
    What are you resigning over?
    Given the thread on the front page from Menace, I'm suddenly reminded of the WaterCoolerGirl incident.

I suspect it has finally caught up with our dashing hero.
  • iokthemonkey 16 Jun 2009 15:58:12 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just be careful you don't end up
    here.

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• mcmonkeyplc 16 Jun 2009 15:58:55 38,909 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mike, you got anything lined up? Now isn't really the time to be doing things like this if you haven't. I've thought about it every week for the past year!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• binky Moderator 16 Jun 2009 15:59:26 9,242 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Could you like, you know, just not turn up for work for a few days and see if they notice?
  • hulahoops 16 Jun 2009 16:01:18 2,311 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I guess you need to go through the contract with a fine toothed comb?

In any case, good luck with the new job sir.
  • Whizzo 16 Jun 2009 16:02:45 42,772 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Could you like, you know, just not turn up for work for a few days and see if they notice?
    So you're gonna quit?
    Nuh-uh. Not really. Uh... I'm just gonna stop going.

This space left intentionally blank.

• hulahoops 16 Jun 2009 16:03:24 2,311 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "I don't think I'd like another job."
  • iokthemonkey 16 Jun 2009 16:04:42 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I assume you have something else lined up, otherwise if you do resign (or "get yourself fired") you'll not be entitled to any benefits.

• Chopsen 16 Jun 2009 16:05:18 15,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your pay and leave is yours, if you resign or not. Your notice period is you obligation to the company but it is served under the terms of your existing employment contract. Unless your training expenses came with explicit specific strings attached (e.g. "sure we'll pay, but if we do you have to stay here at least 5 years if we do" BEFORE you claimed it), that's safe too.

But IANAL.
  • Whizzo 16 Jun 2009 16:05:40 42,772 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh and I'm no help with actual advice because my employer has always been the one to say cheerio and gave me a cheque as a going away gift. Being made redundant saves the hassle of having to write a resignation letter.

This space left intentionally blank.

• iokthemonkey 16 Jun 2009 16:06:23 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:

But IANAL.

bummerlol

• Ready4Action 16 Jun 2009 16:06:28 522 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To make things go faster, just tell your boss that Hawk the Slayer is rubbish.
  • Mike_Hunt 16 Jun 2009 16:11:00 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I've got another job lined up, it's a better job and with a (hopefully) more stable company also.

Sure it's a little unwise moving jobs in these times, especially if you work in the banking sector (which I do), but companies no longer have any loyalty (first in last out is unheard of, it's whoever is cheapest to get rid of). I'm changing from a company that has been recently downgraded to working for another company which is actually doing very well (major profit increases over the past couple of years). So job stability isn't an issue.

The other major factor is that it's *much* closer to home - I could ride my bike to work rather than have to drive 70 miles across the pennines every day. It's a very good opportunity and one not to me missed.

However, I'm part way though some training and I fully expect to be told to pay that back (about 3,500's worth), which is ok as it's part of my contact. I'm just worried that they may also try and go after me in terms of my expenses claims relating to my training. I was hoping to maybe offset some of the cost using some of my remaining holidays (I've got 3 weeks left), or at least maybe arranging some sort of payment plan, or reduced figure. Does anyone have any experience here? Has anyone else been shafted in any other way that I've not mentioned? Like I say, I'm positive it's not going to go down well...

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 16 Jun 2009 16:11:50 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Ah... treat resigning from work like splitting up with a woman... I see... ;)

[MH]
  • smoothpete 16 Jun 2009 16:13:48 31,033 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    However, I'm part way though some training and I fully expect to be told to pay that back (about 3,500's worth), which is ok as it's part of my contact. I'm just worried that they may also try and go after me in terms of my expenses claims relating to my training. I was hoping to maybe offset some of the cost using some of my remaining holidays (I've got 3 weeks left), or at least maybe arranging some sort of payment plan, or reduced figure. Does anyone have any experience here? Has anyone else been shafted in any other way that I've not mentioned? Like I say, I'm positive it's not going to go down well...
    Check your contract. If paying back these things is in there, then you'll have to. If not, then they can't make you
  • Mike_Hunt 16 Jun 2009 16:15:17 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just to clarify, I've signed a contract agreeing to pay back training costs if I leave within 12 months of completion (I've not yet completed). So I fully expect to have to pay them back (although it is discretionary and no one has been made to in the past - I'm sure they'll go to the effort this time). I'm just worried about also getting stung for expenses, or if they have to agree a payment plan rather than witholding my final paycheque.

[MH]
  • Chopsen 16 Jun 2009 16:16:11 15,183 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Check your contract. If paying back these things is in there, then you'll have to. If not, then they can't make you

Exactly. You don't need to go and create problems where there may not be any in the 1st place.

iokthemonkey wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:

But IANAL.

bummerlol

I know you are but what am I?
  • Mike_Hunt 16 Jun 2009 16:16:27 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I've had a look, and although it's mainly in legalease, it doesn't look like expesense are specifically mentioned, but "other costs" are. I take this to mean books etc. but I'm not convinced.

[MH]
  • Ginger 16 Jun 2009 16:16:45 6,808 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Normally with these things, although the training course is included the expenses around it won't be. Also, is it possible to get your prospective new employer to pick up these costs?

London open taekwondo champion

• w00t 16 Jun 2009 16:20:01 10,978 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The last time I resigned, I used a crayon and wrote with my weaker hand.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• smoothpete 16 Jun 2009 16:21:12 31,033 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wrote mine on a napkin once
  • President_Weasel 16 Jun 2009 16:22:21 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ready4Action wrote:
    To make things go faster, just tell your boss that Hawk the Slayer is rubbish.

Babylon 5 is a big pile of shit!
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous