• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • IMO 26 Sep 2011 22:56:40 5,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Blair came out of Thatcher's rectum.

That's a mental image I could have done without.
  • dsmx 26 Sep 2011 22:57:06 7,412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thatcher probably stopped the country from going bankrupt, she should of gone about it in a better way. But something had to be done about the unions as at that point nobody wanted to do business in the UK since on any given day someone was on strike and yes what she did to the coal miners was bordering on psychotic but nobody wanted english coal any more and we couldn't go on mining all that coal when nobody wanted it.

Yes thatcher was probably the biggest bitch in history, yes she did some of the most questionable and ruthless stuff in modern political history but the sad fact is what she did was going to have to be done at some point, her main problem was how she went about it.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Deleted user 26 September 2011 22:58:30
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    To be fair...

It's taken Labour too long to get their message out there though. Miliband looked like he might do something when the furore over News International and Cameron's links to NI were in the spotlight, but he doesn't seem to have bothered. It was a golden political opportunity.

His plan is to spend more - I disagree with 3 of those having any meaningful impact (and the bankers bonus one is a lazy vote grabbing move rather than one based on intelligent ideas) and his idea of selling the bank shares now is laughable when their value is where it is right now - that's up there with Gordon Brown's sale of gold.
  • FWB 26 Sep 2011 22:59:13 41,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I agree. It had to be done and she was an ass about how she went about it, but she also took it to the next level by trying to remove any form of social cohesion and community.
  • Deleted user 26 September 2011 23:00:45
    She also got lucky with the Falklands war. She would have been out before the changes had the intended impact if that hadn't come along.
  • Ironlungs76 26 Sep 2011 23:00:49 4,930 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    king26 wrote:
    Blair was cool. The biggest cunt in British politics ever has to that cunt Thatcher!

Now you're just getting carried away with stereotyping.
  • dsmx 26 Sep 2011 23:10:37 7,412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thatcher can look back at her time as prime minister and say I stopped the country going bankrupt, won a war on the other side of the world with some helicopter carriers and I suppose you could also argue she set the foundations to Britain becoming a dominant power in the world of finance.

Blair will look back at his time as prime minister knowing that he left the country in 2 unwinnable wars with an economy in taters and a party who even though the conservatives are doing some very unpopular things at the moment are still more electable than labour at the moment.

Or maybe I'm overgeneralising a bit there, not sure though.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Ironlungs76 26 Sep 2011 23:15:53 4,930 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blair had a nice smile though. Far nicer that Maggie's. I'm glad he's earning well out of that smile and his newfound Catholicism.

/forgive me Father for I have sinned. Lots.
  • mcmothercruncher 26 Sep 2011 23:19:42 5,704 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thatcher can also proudly look back and say she was responsible for a sizeable chunk of the selfish, narcissistic me-first attitude that's serving us so well in capitalist and sink estate circles alike.
  • dsmx 26 Sep 2011 23:21:43 7,412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And that's different to Tony Blair and Labour when they were in power how?

• Ironlungs76 26 Sep 2011 23:23:08 4,930 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Thatcher can also proudly look back and say she was responsible for a sizeable chunk of the selfish, narcissistic me-first attitude that's serving us so well in capitalist and sink estate circles alike.

Don't forget the milk bottles. Everyone always seems to forget the milkbottles.
  • TheRealBadabing 27 Sep 2011 00:52:31 1,196 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree, if we still had our milk bottles there would be no X Factor. It's all Maggie's fault.
  • thelzdking 27 Sep 2011 00:55:42 3,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    +1
  • coastal 27 Sep 2011 06:30:23 5,372 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    coastal wrote:
    That kind of logic made Britain great.

So you'd rather have complete inaction and total ambiguity about any of their views on any subject you can possibly think of?

Interesting.

I'd rather choose my own words. A wrong decision can be a lot worse than no decision. Reorganising gov. departments spring to mind - where the effect is minimal, costs money and is only done to show difference between themselves and the last government.

Or Irag for instance. With hindsight I wish Blair made no decision.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• FWB 27 Sep 2011 07:59:40 41,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    coastal, Blair didn't decide to go into Iraq. It was god speaking through Bush that told him to.
  • coastal 27 Sep 2011 08:29:55 5,372 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good point. His holier than thou trait is his worst attribute. Most people would have trouble sleeping at night with what he's done. I bet he hasn't a bad night's sleep in years.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Bremenacht 8 Apr 2013 23:49:32 15,741 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Take a look at the OP.

localnotail wrote:
    Any more bad news buried today? Other than the disability benefits scandal, obv.
    Hah.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Deleted user 8 April 2013 23:55:55
    is he dead yet
  • Bremenacht 8 Apr 2013 23:57:28 15,741 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Someone should start a thread. They seem to work.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Deleted user 8 April 2013 23:59:25
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Someone should start a thread. They seem to work.
    I must test this theory.
  • Deleted user 9 April 2013 01:22:09
    meme wrote:
    is he dead yet
    I hope so!
  • ecureuil 9 Apr 2013 03:17:52 76,008 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's only 59, it'll be another 20 years yet.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next