Tony Cunting Blair

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Lutz 6 Jul 2004 12:29:52 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Clicky

Basically he's saying he must admit that the WMD may never be found.

How about they never fucking existed in the first fucking place?

CUNT.
  • DevilsKebab 6 Jul 2004 12:32:08 648 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He said the former Iraqi leader had been in breach of UN resolutions and his weapons may have been "removed, hidden or destroyed".

Hang on....
    If he destroyed them then surly that means he complied with the UN resolutions!
  • terminalterror 6 Jul 2004 12:34:25 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd have a lot of respect for the guy if he just admitted that the intelligence showing they existed was dubious, apologised, then explained in detail the humanitarian reasons why he would have gone to war anyway. Then start doing something about Mugabe.
  • unwashed 6 Jul 2004 12:34:27 1,857 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, but this is the strange and ever so slightly surreal world of George Dubya Blair innit...
  • Spin_Dr_Wolf 6 Jul 2004 12:36:32 6,170 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    I'd have a lot of respect for the guy if he just admitted that the intelligence showing they existed was dubious, apologised, then explained in detail the humanitarian reasons why he would have gone to war anyway. Then start doing something about Mugabe.
    Don't be daft, that won't happen untill Bush is interested, and that won't happen untill either there's oil or money to steal.
  • pjmaybe 6 Jul 2004 12:37:02 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Talk about slamming the door after the horse has bolted.

"Yep, we're sorry. We probably won't find the weapons. Nope. Not ever. But we still kicked your fucking arses didn't we!"

What a humanitarian!

Peej
  • StixxUK 6 Jul 2004 12:37:11 7,246 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    People like Bush and Blair really need to be shown that they are NOT above the law and that just because in their own eyes, they believe they are doing good doesn't necessarily mean they are. Something as serious as war (let's face it, it doesn't get any more serious than that) can't be started just because they want to. You can't send a man to prison without EVIDENCE that he has committed a crime, so why should you be able to effectively take over a country?
  • terminalterror 6 Jul 2004 12:49:42 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    People like Bush and Blair really need to be shown that they are NOT above the law and that just because in their own eyes, they believe they are doing good doesn't necessarily mean they are. Something as serious as war (let's face it, it doesn't get any more serious than that) can't be started just because they want to. You can't send a man to prison without EVIDENCE that he has committed a crime, so why should you be able to effectively take over a country?

The infuriating thing about Iraq is whilst all the reasons that Blair has given us (WMDs) and all the reasons, although Bush never stated, that the Americans believed (Saddam and 9/11) were false, there are plenty of other reasons for deposing of a tyrant who has commited so many horrific crimes. If those were the reasons for the coalition invasion, they would probably have had wider world support, less resistance and a much less hostile media. If you followed any media report here you might think that it is worse in Iraq under the US than under Saddam, and that the crimes commited in Abu Graib were just as horrific as anything Saddam did, but life in Iraq, whilst nowhere near ideal, if far better than it was before.

If the war was only about WMDs then I would be furious, but as there are other reasons that I believe in the war that politicians seem shy to voice, it makes me even more angry.
  • pjmaybe 6 Jul 2004 12:55:28 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What annoys me about the whole thing is that if ANY OTHER nation with that much power pulled the same stunt because they "suspected" WMDs, there'd be a massive outcry.

Imagine a scenario where Russia flexed its military might in this way, and imagine the massive backlash there'd be from countries like the US and UK. As Stixx quite excellently put it, why do they feel that they are above the law?

Peej
  • Machiavel 6 Jul 2004 12:57:40 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    *cough* Chechniya *cough*

(although they use the terrorist line rather than WMDs, and Chechniya did try to invade a nearby country when under 'autonomous' rule)
  • Jos 6 Jul 2004 12:58:53 709 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But isn't part of the "problem" that there isn't any other power block willing or able to stand in the way the USA?

And that isn't really the American's fault that the rest of the world is too fragmented for them to care much what they think?
  • Khanivor 6 Jul 2004 13:01:49 40,554 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    While it ainít quite the same as invading a country, I donít ever recall much stink being made about the 100,000 that have died in Chechnya as a result of Putinís insanely vicious war there.

/pipped to the post
  • pjmaybe 6 Jul 2004 13:03:59 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I should've put "sarcasm mode" on when I posted...

I was thinking of chechniya in particular, but also you could say the same about the russian invasion of Afghanistan. I remember specifically the massive furore there was in the US and UK media about that, and also the various political comments that have been passed about chechniya too...

Definitely a case of "people in glass houses"

Peej
  • andrewfromdoncaster 6 Jul 2004 13:13:12 1,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shouldn't the British public accept that the war in Iraq was a mistake and that we should move on. Blair and Labour have done some fantastic things on the domestic front, and although i hate to say it, unfortunately thousands of Iraqis can die in my/our names so long as this country gets a minimum wage and better schools and hospitals.

Edit: IMO

Edited by andrewfromdoncaster at 12:13:26 06-07-2004
  • Khanivor 6 Jul 2004 13:16:05 40,554 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Now if we really want to talk about a war that has been utterly ignored itís the one that is in danger of flaring up again in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Millions have lost their lives there over the last few years, mostly civilians, and the war has been fought with troops from most of the surrounding nations. It has been said to have been Africaís WW1 equivalent, although it is more similar to the proxy wars (like Afghanistan) that were fought during the Cold War.

So how come the world, especially the European media, gets itself in such a tizzy about the Americans starting a war that has led to the death of well under 15,000 people when this other conflict, with its shockingly higher death toll goes by with barely a mention?

It makes a mockery of the idea that all this hand-wringing and protesting is about the loss of innocent life, and focuses the reality that much of it has to do with a disgust at an administration out of control and a bubbling up of prejudiced hatred for a country which now fills a role which many of these countries used to feel was their own.

It would be very interesting to see which nations have been arming the fighters in the DRC. Iíd wager that many of the weapons have made in France and made in Russia printed on the side of them, just like they did in Iraq.
  • Shinji 6 Jul 2004 13:21:20 5,903 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blair and Labour have done some fantastic things on the domestic front

Whahahahahahahaahat!?

You must be fucking kidding. The war in Iraq was at least partially designed to distract attention from the fucking shite that they're making out of schools, hospitals, trains and every other bloody thing in this country by handing it over lock, stock and fucking barrel to their avaricious mates in big business...
  • Khanivor 6 Jul 2004 13:23:26 40,554 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shinji wrote:

Whahahahahahahaahat!?

You must be fucking kidding. The war in Iraq was at least partially designed to distract attention from the fucking shite that they're making out of schools, hospitals, trains and every other bloody thing in this country by handing it over lock, stock and fucking barrel to their avaricious mates in big business...

Easy now. He did put an IMO at the end, as as we know, opinions can't be wrong. Well, untill they are uttered, and then they become statments. In whihc case out with the bullshit-o-meter and KABOOOOM!!!

/picks needle out of forearm, dial glass out of face
  • Retroid Moderator 6 Jul 2004 14:59:25 44,512 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The most scary thing about all this is the prospect of the Tories benefiting from his feckups.

/Shivers
  • andrewfromdoncaster 6 Jul 2004 15:38:36 1,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shinji wrote:

Whahahahahahahaahat!?

I was referring to the way that the 3rd way has shown how it expands opportunties and reduces poverty; do you not agree with this notion? Or, maybe you are complaining that it hasn't gone far enough - you are anti 'corporate UK'?

Edits: Changing the focus of the last Q
    Edited by andrewfromdoncaster at 14:40:43 06-07-2004

Edited by andrewfromdoncaster at 14:42:02 06-07-2004
  • Big-Swiss 6 Jul 2004 15:39:17 8,079 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blair is your beer and not mine, so I will not even quote my opinion, but OTTO, very well put!
  • Sid-Nice 6 Jul 2004 17:50:46 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    War crimes are a serious business, Blair was roped into George Bush's vendetta or revenge assult on the Middle East. The capability of producing chemical Weapons or weapons of mass destuction, was used as an excuse for the war on Iraq.

The propagada, the anti-Saddam bullshit in the British tabloid press, had the masses believing it was right to invade and kill innocent people. The public opinion on the situation, was Saddam is evil " Kill the b*stard! " Now the same people who encouraged the invasion of Iraq and the same people who supported Blair's actions have turned against him.

I'm not a fan of Tony Blair, never have been nor ever will be, but this has been one humongous cock-up, Bush and Blair have fucked up, big time. It is difficult for politicians to hide the facts etc; in this day and age, with so much media attention. A few years ago situations like this, would have been covered up, with a white paper of the details released 30 years down the line. When everybody had forgoten about it.

What Blair has been party too is no different to the sinking of the Belgrano in my opinion.

NNID Sid-Nice

• pjmaybe 6 Jul 2004 17:52:26 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    The most scary thing about all this is the prospect of the Tories benefiting from his feckups.

/Shivers

Post of the thread...

TBH I really wouldn't know WHO to choose, they all seemed pretty fucking hopeless when giving their recent manifesto speeches.

The sight of that smug bastard Howard walking into number 10 though, no, I really don't think I could stomach that.

Peej
  • andrewfromdoncaster 6 Jul 2004 17:56:32 1,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm impressed at the amount of anti-conservative views around here. Woooooooo!
  • Sid-Nice 6 Jul 2004 18:23:06 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We had 18 years of Tory rule, in which they sold every profitable industry to private enterprise. Introduced council house sales, withheld the profits, preventing local authorities from building more houses for rent. Used the monies from North Sea Oil to subsidies high unemployment. The Brighton Bombing and the Faulklands War won the Conservatives two General Elections, when they were out of favour.

I hope Blair's latest fiasco doesn't let them b*stards, back into government.

NNID Sid-Nice

• andrewfromdoncaster 6 Jul 2004 18:25:16 1,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sid Nice wrote:
    We had 18 years of Tory rule, in which they sold every profitable industry to private enterprise. Introduced council house sales, withheld the profits, preventing local authorities from building more houses for rent. Used the monies from North Sea Oil to subsidies high unemployment. The Brighton Bombing and the Faulklands War won the Conservatives two General Elections, when they were out of favour.

I hope Blair's latest fiasco doesn't let them b*stards, back into government.

What's that Dad?

Oh sorry! my mistake; could've sworn my dad had gone off on one again.
  • Chris-Gardiner 6 Jul 2004 18:27:11 962 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Christ, it must have been nice not to grow up under the Tories.
  • Cornflake 6 Jul 2004 18:30:39 652 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not wanting to add fuel to the fire.
    I gew up under the tories and (for me anyway) it was a damn site better than it is now.

Though in all honesty I think every single party is a shit as the other. So much so that I no longer see the point in voting, who ever get into pwoer will do good and bad, usually the latter.
  • JimBeam 6 Jul 2004 18:34:46 260 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Who dont ppl vote in the Liberal Democrats then? Im from Ireland so i dont know much about them.
  • StixxUK 6 Jul 2004 18:39:08 7,246 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A lot of people don't vote Lib Dem for the simple reason that they don't think they can win (which of course they can't if people don't vote in their favour). A friend of mine said he would like to see them in power, but it was more important to him that Labour don't win again, so he's voting Conservative.
  • Sid-Nice 6 Jul 2004 18:41:04 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have been a bit of a Rover, but I doubt I'm your father Andrew, I've never had the pleasure with anyone from Doncaster. :)

Seriously, like me, your Dad has witnessed years of Tory shit. Before each election, public opinion would have them at an all-time low, then from nowhere they'd pull a rabbit out the hat and win. I don't think the Conservative Party have had a decent honest leader since Edward Heath, I didn't believe in his policies, though I admired his integrity and his yachtsmanship skills.

Edited by Sid Nice at 17:41:44 06-07-2004

NNID Sid-Nice

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous