• Page

of 11 First / Last

• Deleted user 24 June 2009 14:07:48
    Anything useful to add?
  • Articulate-Troll 24 Jun 2009 14:43:07 3,101 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:

Not at all, the results of this will be far reaching and I think you've actually bypassed a lot of what happened this last week and who was involved. You certainly don't get the sort of crowds from a week Monday ago in the major cities unless you're talking about more than just middle class students. The key point is that this is not purely a student protest and those opposing the Ayatollah are a pretty big deal.

Iran has an incredibly high birth rate - something like eight children for every family - so the number of students is pretty large. Of course, it's not merely a student protest but they are the largest participants. While their protests have been bold and risky, I'm not sure they represent the entire will of the Iranian people.

Regardless if changes happen now or not, the aging government will consistently see challenges from the younger generation from this point onwards.

They may do so but not a complete overthrow of the government. At least not any time soon.

Also we've seen Mullahs on the street defying the Ayatollah, its not as if the clerics are united either.

But they don't control the Basji militia or the media. Two key elements in Iranian state power.

You also have to factor in during the Shah revolution you included the bearded Islamic mercenaries who now rule the country, naturally you're not going to quite gather the same throng. The problem is the Shah had broken down from the inside, in this case there's a united front against protest from the various militia, army and police units who are not all Iranian. The protests may have gotten smaller (they say that the first two days of last week saw comparable rallies to the days of the Islamic revolt) but the circumstances are different - the anger isn't going to disappear overnight.

I'm sure the anger won't disappear. I just don't think it represents a large enough element of the population to result in dramatic change any time soon.
  • Deleted user 24 June 2009 14:49:04
    I utterly disagree, but then this is an argument of opinion more than anything else. I've read enough to understand the will of the people certainly didn't favour the current administration. That it took 3 million fake votes (and that's an official figure) on top of massive swings in favour of the current president says a lot.
  • mcmonkeyplc 24 Jun 2009 14:50:52 39,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Anything useful to add?

Not really, I just want this to succeed. The revolution I witnessed was the German unification and that was when I was 9!

I assume by the tone of your post that I am being impatient?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Khanivor 24 Jun 2009 14:53:34 40,520 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Basji are part of the wonderful theocratic system, so when the robed parts of that system come out against the club wielding sections you have a very visual display of fracture and discord within the regime itself.

The security services are certainly cracking down on public protests but I really don't think that the woken beast is going to crawl back under the blankets. This is now about much more than a stolen election; this is about a regime which has lost all respect from the people it rules, all legitimacy of being representative of the people's wishes and which has stepped too far over the line of nakedly displaying where its priorities lie - the beating and killing of its own people to retain power.

In short, I think they are fucked. It's just a question of how long they can hold on and how much blood will be required to wash them away.
  • Deleted user 24 June 2009 15:15:59
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Anything useful to add?

Not really, I just want this to succeed. The revolution I witnessed was the German unification and that was when I was 9!

I assume by the tone of your post that I am being impatient?

LOL! Sorry, was being facaetious. It's already a revolution in some ways just whether or not it'll succeed is anyones guess.
  • Deleted user 28 June 2009 16:30:52
    Well, it's all kicking off now, isn't it? Not entirely sure what the gameplan is for the Iranian government now, but I'm not sure it's working.
  • Retroid Moderator 5 Jun 2010 16:27:26 44,505 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Film about Iranian protest victim Neda Agha-Soltan beats regime's censors.
    Iran is jamming satellite broadcasts in attempts to stop people seeing a new film telling the story of Neda Agha-Soltan, the young woman who was shot dead during the mass protests that followed last summer's disputed presidential election.

Viewers in Tehran complained of jamming and power cuts on Wednesday and yesterday when the Voice of America Persian TV network broadcast the documentary For Neda, featuring the first film interviews with the family of the 27-year-old.

The 70-minute film, made by Mentorn Media for HBO and being screened in the US this month, has rapidly gone viral in Iran in the run-up to next Saturday's anniversary of the disputed elections that triggered the protests. It is available on YouTube so can be seen by anyone with access to the internet.
    The bolded part in particular utterly fucks me off:
    Witnesses have said that she was shot in the heart by a sniper with the Basij militia force, who has been named as Abbas Kargar-Javid.

Iran's intelligence ministry is reportedly due to release its own documentary to remove "ambiguities" surrounding her death and provide "new evidence" about what it calls the west's version of events.

Neda's family were under pressure to cooperate with the official documentary but refused. Two of her friends were forced to participate.

It is not clear whether the official film is the same as one produced earlier this year by Iranian state TV. That suggested that Neda was an agent of the US and Britain who staged her own death and poured blood on her face
    . BBC Tehran correspondent Jon Leyne was also blamed for her killing before being expelled.

HBO says it took the unprecedented decision to pre-release the film for Iranian audiences because of its relevance in the run-up to the anniversary of the polls.
    Good on HBO.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • IMANAUDITORE 12 Aug 2012 11:45:33 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It Seems Humanitarian Civilizations Has Been Destroyed A Long Time Ago.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 12 Aug 2012 11:53:36 37,772 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for that really helpful insight nearly 2 years on...

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 12 Aug 2012 11:53:57 37,772 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    P.S. That was sarcasm.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Lukus 12 Aug 2012 11:54:25 19,050 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm glad we finally got that cleared up.

Paintings & Photographs

• RedSparrows 12 Aug 2012 12:14:59 22,259 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    IMANAUDITORE wrote:
    What
  • Pure-Ultra 12 Aug 2012 12:19:37 741 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    IMANAUDITORE wrote:
    I think he's right.
  • President_Weasel 12 Aug 2012 12:21:11 9,172 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Damn it, I was hoping for insight and instead I got some buffoon who capitalises every word, which is something I dislike intensely.

I don't suppose anyone has some appropriately-capitalised insight into the cuurent situation in Iran?
  • RedSparrows 12 Aug 2012 12:27:02 22,259 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pure-Ultra wrote:
    IMANAUDITORE wrote:
    I think he's right.
    No. Next.
  • RedSparrows 12 Aug 2012 15:34:44 22,259 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You want me to explain why such a stupid statement is false. Really?
  • RedSparrows 12 Aug 2012 15:40:55 22,259 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No madgod, the onus is on the statement giver to support their proposition,especially when it is so absurdly hyperbolic, ahistoric and portentous.
  • Bremenacht 12 Aug 2012 15:46:50 17,778 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :'D
  • JayG 12 Aug 2012 15:47:50 842 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can see why someone would register on a games site for such an insightful first post.
  • Bremenacht 12 Aug 2012 15:56:55 17,778 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Assassin's Creed: Muslim Brotherhood
  • RedSparrows 12 Aug 2012 16:36:18 22,259 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Madgod_Dc wrote:
    but i want to understand your reasoning for being so adamant that humans are not losing their humanity.
    I want to know why you seem to think this is the case.
  • Pure-Ultra 12 Aug 2012 17:42:00 741 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Madgod_Dc wrote:
    but i want to understand your reasoning for being so adamant that humans are not losing their humanity.
    I want to know why you seem to think this is the case.
    Watch the news
  • RedSparrows 12 Aug 2012 17:45:08 22,259 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /groan
  • Page

of 11 First / Last