Article comments karma: beta testing Page 22

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• MiniAmin 20 Aug 2010 16:47:24 3,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I love the system. There have been some idiots who've posted game-breaking spoilers, and it has been hidden from view because they've been buried. There are a few occasions where perfectly reasonable comments receive negs aplenty, however this is worth the risk; many derailing, inflammatory or abusive comments are hastily negged to death before they can affect others.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2010 16:51:49
    The only threads it annoys me in are generally the PES / FIFA news threads.

You can guarantee that within minutes there are +'s and -'s flying around like they're going out of fashion.

It's really helpful, as MiniAmin says, for hiding wankers that throw spoilers around
  • AaronTurner 27 Aug 2010 08:53:01 7,591 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm, I'm a bit bored of being marked down when I post a comment that isn't a flame or attack on anyone, just a genuine question about the article.

For instance on the recent Bioshock news story about the Handyman I ask if I'm the only person that isn't excited by the new game, to me it seems to be pretty much the same as Bioshock 1 just in a new setting. It looks like the Big Daddies are back in one form or another, the genetic mutations are back too.

It's a bit pointless writing an opinion on a news story that may go against popular opinion at the moment.
  • craigy Staff 27 Aug 2010 09:09:12 7,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the general rule is:

- If you write something negative, it will attract negative scores.
    - If you write something positive, it will attract positive scores.
  • nickthegun 27 Aug 2010 09:11:51 58,782 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Hmm, I'm a bit bored of being marked down when I post a comment that isn't a flame or attack on anyone, just a genuine question about the article.

For instance on the recent Bioshock news story about the Handyman I ask if I'm the only person that isn't excited by the new game, to me it seems to be pretty much the same as Bioshock 1 just in a new setting. It looks like the Big Daddies are back in one form or another, the genetic mutations are back too.

It's a bit pointless writing an opinion on a news story that may go against popular opinion at the moment.

Thats always going to get negged though because it is, frankly, annoying.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 27 August 2010 09:14:58
    craigy wrote:

Yep, I find that even if you get a kneejerk neg from muppets, sensible people come along and cancel it out.

The system works!
  • AaronTurner 27 Aug 2010 09:22:25 7,591 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:

Thats always going to get negged though because it is, frankly, annoying.

Annoying? In what way?

Surely hiding all opinions that aren't in complete agreement with the article just means that you end up with pertinent points being covered up?
  • Physically_Insane 27 Aug 2010 09:25:52 8,614 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    craigy wrote:

Unless it's a CoD thread. :(
  • nickthegun 27 Aug 2010 09:28:57 58,782 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its not really pertinent though, is it? A news article about the handyman and you say youre not looking forward to the game in general, which has nothing to do with the news article.

I dont expect everyone to be jumping up and down sucking each others dicks, but I do find that kind of comment annoying.

Fwiw, I agree with you and im still yet to be convinced that a Bioshock prequel is a good idea.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• AaronTurner 27 Aug 2010 09:32:29 7,591 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nothing to do with the article? They're revealing the name of the enemy and that name makes me think that it will perform a similar job to the Big Daddies in Bioshock. The enemy already seems pretty similar and the article is linked to a trailer that shows game mechanics that don't seem to have evolved since Bioshock aside from the setting. Instead of negging a comment surely it's better to explain why I might be wrong about the new game rather than covering it up and pretending it didn't happen?
  • easy_lee 27 Aug 2010 09:35:44 227 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, but this is the internet.
  • DFawkes 11 Nov 2010 00:05:15 22,588 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At least three times today, I've been able to vote twice times on the same comment. I'll stop doing it now, I just had to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

I haven't changed browser on anything lately. 2 were in the Overkill 2 comments, the other was on the Stargate Worlds one.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 11 Nov 2010 11:44:19 4,621 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    At least three times today, I've been able to vote twice times on the same comment. I'll stop doing it now, I just had to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

I haven't changed browser on anything lately. 2 were in the Overkill 2 comments, the other was on the Stargate Worlds one.

Hmm, it hasn't actually counted your vote twice though.

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• DFawkes 11 Nov 2010 12:40:46 22,588 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wasn't sure on the Overkill ones, but the Stargate Worlds one went up twice and I wasn't sure if hitting it again just made it refresh and show someone elses vote. Thought I'd best say anyway, just in case it meant the site was going to explode.

It is definitely not showing me what I did vote before though - I'll go to a comments thread I know I've voted in but both Positive and Negative were lit up. Maybe it was just my machine though, it has been awfully peculiar lately.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• GrandpaUlrira 11 Nov 2010 21:00:21 3,753 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sometimes votes count as 2 rather than 1. Never worked out a pattern to that though.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 11 Nov 2010 21:28:27 4,621 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They don't. We can see who's upvoted or downvoted comments and I've yet to see a vote counting twice.

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• GrandpaUlrira 11 Nov 2010 22:36:13 3,753 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Could it be that maybe at the same time I vote someone else does, so I perceive that my vote has registered twice? I've only noticed it when something goes from 0 to +2, so it could entirely be a perception thing.
  • mingster 11 Nov 2010 23:09:27 3,270 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know its been dismissed before but to be able to see someones total +/- karma score would be fun.
  • craigy Staff 12 Nov 2010 09:25:43 7,503 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you neg a comment and then pos it immediately after, the score will swing by two points -- one point to remove the neg, and another point to add to pos. So it's a two point swing.

Alternatively you can end up in the situation where you give a pos or neg to a comment at the same time as another user. The score then gets updated with both of your actions, making it look like you've had a double effect.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • Genji 8 Feb 2011 00:59:10 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I realise it's here to stay, but I'm still not sure about the point of the system. imo negatives should serve to out people that are being cocks - and it does achieve that, mostly - but in my experience people also get voted down simply due to disagreement with a consensus. And if that brings people below a certain viewing threshold, then the place basically turns into an echo chamber.

It's not a huge thing, but still.
  • ecureuil 8 Feb 2011 01:06:03 76,489 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's the way these systems always work. If you don't agree with the hivemind, prepare to be downvoted, even if you're just expressing a perfectly legitimate opinion.
  • Page

of 23 First / Last