Who rides a motorcycle? Page 3

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• billythekid 8 Jun 2009 15:21:29 10,800 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    I was at the infamous Box Hill car park on Sunday. Some of the bikes on show were awsome and I'm not even into bikes.

Were the police there in numbers? Much more entertainment when they're not.
    And did you try a GB* burger in Ryka's cafe, they're luvverly!

*I'm sure it stands for Greedy Bastard :)
  • Alastair 8 Jun 2009 15:25:42 14,951 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Last weekend I saw a guy being stretchered into an ambulance, his very nice looking bike smashed to all fuck all over the road. Looked like an old guy in a car had pulled out of a junction and the bike has gone into and over the bonnet. Not pretty, not pretty at all. But yeah, enjoy yourselves you crazy fuckers!

Wonder how fast he was going?
    Some bikers do seem to be a bit crazy with the speed they overtake slow moving traffic...
    At least on a scooter you ain't going so fast in the first place.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Salaman 8 Jun 2009 15:26:07 18,237 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is that Box Hill in Surrey? I used to live right near there. Been there once or twice with visitors. I thought it was mainly frequented by walking/trekking people. Don't recall seeing any special amount of bikers.
    Having driven up and down it though ... I can see how it would appeal. :-)
    Lovely bendy roads.
  • pistol 8 Jun 2009 15:28:45 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    I was at the infamous Box Hill car park on Sunday. Some of the bikes on show were awsome and I'm not even into bikes.

Were the police there in numbers? Much more entertainment when they're not.
    And did you try a GB* burger in Ryka's cafe, they're luvverly!

*I'm sure it stands for Greedy Bastard :)

From memory there was one copper on a bike and no on the Ryka burger. The car park is our usual starting point for a cycle training ride around all the hills and i'm in training for a 125 mile ride on Sunday. So my diet is very strict atm.
  • billythekid 8 Jun 2009 15:29:40 10,800 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ScoutTech wrote:
    So do you not nod to the Police cos they are the filth, don't want to attract attention or some other reason?

Most bikers stretch the law in some way, even if it's just something like a tinted visor, so attracting attention is the last thing you'd want.

And they're the filth ;)
    But to be honest nearly every bike cop I've spoke to has been a sound bloke who loves bikes.

• pistol 8 Jun 2009 15:30:13 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Is that Box Hill in Surrey? I used to live right near there. Been there once or twice with visitors. I thought it was mainly frequented by walking/trekking people. Don't recall seeing any special amount of bikers.
    Lovely bendy roads.

Yep, in Surrey. a lot of the hills have some of the highest gradiants in the UK so it's good training for things like bike training in the Alps. some of the hills I did were between 15 and 18%.
  • billythekid 8 Jun 2009 15:31:08 10,800 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Lovely bendy roads.

Sunday mornings my good man. You'll get hundreds of bikes there.
    But only if the weather's nice!
  • pistol 8 Jun 2009 15:32:58 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    Lovely bendy roads.

Sunday mornings my good man. You'll get hundreds of bikes there.
    But only if the weather's nice!

Saturday or sunday, they're usually there in droves.
  • Salaman 8 Jun 2009 15:33:25 18,237 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah right ... that explains it. I usually get up between 12 and 2pm on a Sunday.
    :-)
  • coastal 8 Jun 2009 15:39:06 5,372 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I went past Box Hill yesterday on my way down to Horsham. There's a little bridge that the road goes over just outside Capel. As it goes over it turns slightly as well. So it's a blind, twisty summit essentially. And as i passed over it a biker came the other way doing a full wheelie. Fully high as you like raised and happy as larry. I 'tsk'ed for the gf sake but inside i was thinking 'achievement unlocked'

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• billythekid 8 Jun 2009 15:41:16 10,800 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TT Coverage is on ITV4 around 9pm this week.
  • Alastair 8 Jun 2009 15:43:51 14,951 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    coastal wrote:
    I went past Box Hill yesterday on my way down to Horsham. There's a little bridge that the road goes over just outside Capel. As it goes over it turns slightly as well. So it's a blind, twisty summit essentially. And as i passed over it a biker came the other way doing a full wheelie. Fully high as you like raised and happy as larry. I 'tsk'ed for the gf sake but inside i was thinking 'achievement unlocked'

Not quite the same, but when scootering in Bermuda as mentioned earlier in the thread, we were overtaken by a local kid doing a wheelie.
    I was impressed and humilitated in equal measure.

• billythekid 8 Jun 2009 15:43:54 10,800 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    coastal wrote:I 'tsk'ed for the gf sake but inside i was thinking 'achievement unlocked'

:D

http://www.motopsychozmc.com/wp-content/uploads/wheelie.jpg
  • billythekid 8 Jun 2009 15:46:50 10,800 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FHM had the question "Can you do a wheelie on a motorbike?" in their bloke test.

I can, but obviously don't on public highways.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jun 2009 15:49:01 24,557 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll be the first to admit having not pulled off a 'proper' wheelie on my bike. I keep meaning to go for it and then the thought of how much it would cost to repair alongside potential injuries enter my head and I wimp out :D
  • Salaman 8 Jun 2009 15:52:24 18,237 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've had my bike a little over a month now. I've not yet tried.
    I have visions of half pulling it off, losing balance and then come down wobbly & landing with the bike at an the perfect angle to send me flying over the handlebars.
    It's a 3500 second hand 8 year old bike but I'm not interested in fucking it up due to my own stupidity (just yet).

edit: pretty much SC above ^^
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jun 2009 15:52:42 24,557 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can get my knee down round a roundabout though, which in my head makes me incredibly manly :)
  • Salaman 8 Jun 2009 15:54:46 18,237 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmmm ... I have images of leaning too far into a turn and just having the bike slide away from underneath me, so no knees down for me either.

• Dougs 8 Jun 2009 15:54:49 64,887 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bikes terrify me. Genuinley scare me, and I've only ridden on the back of a mates a few times. I know there's a certain lack of control that probably doesn't help that. Pretty much all of my mates that ride too have had bad smash ups. One died, one broke both his hands, another two about 6 spills before giving up.
  • billythekid 8 Jun 2009 15:55:33 10,800 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    I have visions of half pulling it off, losing balance and then come down wobbly & landing with the bike at an the perfect angle to send me flying over the handlebars.
    It's a 3500 second hand 8 year old bike but I'm not interested in fucking it up due to my own stupidity (just yet).

Very unlikely that would happen though, start small!

Anything can be wheelied even tanks like these: http://www.hoc.org.uk/gallery/bikes/GL1500_wheelie.jpg

RIP Ronnie Smith
  • billythekid 8 Jun 2009 15:58:24 10,800 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Bikes terrify me. Genuinley scare me, and I've only ridden on the back of a mates a few times. I know there's a certain lack of control that probably doesn't help that. Pretty much all of my mates that ride too have had bad smash ups. One died, one broke both his hands, another two about 6 spills before giving up.

I love bikes, been bought up with them and rode them since I was five.
    But riding as pillion passenger, fuck that it's horrific.
  • BillMurray 8 Jun 2009 16:00:42 7,235 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Salaman wrote:

Anything can be wheelied even tanks like these: http://www.hoc.org.uk/gallery/bikes/GL1500_wheelie.jpg

RIP Ronnie Smith

I've got a poster on this on my wall \o/
  • Salaman 8 Jun 2009 16:03:35 18,237 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Salaman wrote:

I guess you're right. More likely I overdo it and crash that way.
  • billythekid 8 Jun 2009 16:06:03 10,800 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    Salaman wrote:

I guess you're right. More likely I overdo it and crash that way.

That's why you cover the back brake, so you can bring it down if goes too high :)
  • Alastair 8 Jun 2009 16:08:24 14,951 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    billythekid wrote:

That must have come back down with a thump!!

• Alastair 8 Jun 2009 16:09:14 14,951 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    billythekid wrote:

That's why you cover the back brake, so you can bring it down if goes too high :)

I remember seeing a clip of Max Biaggi doing just this after winning a race. Very impressive!

• billythekid 8 Jun 2009 16:12:02 10,800 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    billythekid wrote:

I remember seeing a clip of Max Biaggi doing just this after winning a race. Very impressive!

That was awesome, I remember having a gif of that.

Found it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BA2clO3WFE&feature=related
  • Salaman 8 Jun 2009 16:20:22 18,237 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow. o_0

/strengthens resolve not to try a wheelie
  • askew 8 Jun 2009 16:29:47 11,452 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That is mental.
  • guts 8 Jun 2009 22:34:30 1,690 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Most bikers stretch the law in some way, even if it's just something like a tinted visor, so attracting attention is the last thing you'd want.

And all car drivers stick to 70mph on the motorway and never crash? I am just as 'illegal' in my car as I ever was on my old bikes, and I'm older and (supposedly) more mature now.
    last bike legally rode, only ever had CBT.
    WLTM, one of many rides I would love to have. It's like smething out of a manga comic.
    Or, because I am a bit of a short arse, should be able to reach the floor on this.
    Gotta be patriotic aswell, and have a triumph or two in the garage.
    For bumpy British roads, my boss had one of these as a loan bike when his ZXR750 was in for reapir, and he fkin loved it. Sounds the mutts nutts and proper comfy.
    I'm stopping now, before I drain google images of all hteir pics.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Page

of 21 First / Last