Who rides a motorcycle? Page 15

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• glaeken 5 Nov 2012 10:00:17 11,100 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well my quest to stay on a small bike did not last long.

I traded the 250 for one of these.

Not my actual bike but very similar

It's a 1972 BMW R60/5. So far it's rather nice. Never had a BMW before and I am loving the feel of that boxer engine. It's not massively fast but quite a step up from the 250.

No doubt with my failure to keep my speed down I will be back on a 950 supermoto in another six months.

Edited by glaeken at 10:01:38 05-11-2012
  • Salaman 16 Dec 2012 13:21:30 18,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I plan to tomorrow. I don't want to leave the bike sitting outside for weeks on end and it's been 2 weeks now I think.
  • glaeken 17 Dec 2012 10:26:39 11,100 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I need to get out on mine as well. I like to ride it every couple of weeks over the winter just to keep everything in good order. The rain had not been cooperating the last couple of weekends though.
  • Salaman 17 Dec 2012 10:49:34 18,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shit. Forgot all about my intentions to bike it and just got up and drove to work (by car).
    Looks like it's going to be a dreary rainy affair for the next few days too.
  • meat_potatoe 19 Dec 2012 20:15:27 85 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    /shameless advertisement

Some of the review are in for a bike I worked on...fantastic bike, everyone should buy one!

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/triumph-daytona-675r-2013-review
  • meat_potatoe 19 Dec 2012 22:33:54 85 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Nice, what was your involvement?
    I'm a design engineer there, worked on the engine.
  • Salaman 4 Feb 2013 10:25:00 18,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Joy! Decide to bike to work today. Started on the first go although it's been sitting outdoors for a few weeks through the snow and freezing cold. \0/
  • glaeken 4 Feb 2013 10:34:33 11,100 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got mine started on the weekend as well. I did not actually take it out but I like to start it every week or two during winter as it just makes sure there is a fresh coating of oil over everything in the engine. Fingers cross I might get out on it this weekend if it stays dry.
  • DrStrangelove 4 May 2013 16:51:35 3,372 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Goodfella

That's one of the reasons I stopped motorcycling. I sold motorcycle clothing for four years, and almost anyone could stell stories about cars taking right of way. Too many lost friends or relatives that way.

I think I once read somewhere that this is the no.1 reason for fatal motorbike accidents. Many say "I drive reasonably, so nothing will happen", but it's a huge mistake to expect car drivers to be aware and not ram you.

A nice advice I once heard: "be careful and imagine every car driver wants to kill you". Problem is, when you become so careful and anxious, motorcycling is much less fun.
  • Load_2.0 4 May 2013 16:57:44 18,919 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    She would have seen you if she was white.
  • Shikasama 4 May 2013 16:59:30 6,621 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm considering doing a CBT to get a 125cc moped/motorbike t get to and from owrk (abut 7 miles) but I've never ridden a bike before.

Should I get pedal bike to practice on first before doing a CBT?
  • BillMurray 4 May 2013 17:03:06 7,621 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wouldn't imagine it'd make a lot of difference, unless you've never ridden anything with two wheels before? The CBT is a piece of piss and you'll get used to the balance of the thing after 10-15 minutes.
  • DrStrangelove 4 May 2013 18:33:22 3,372 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Goodfella

I hear ye, and there were more reasons for me to give up biking than that, but thanks to my job back then, I've become just too aware of the danger. Too many fatalities, too many people who lost arms or legs or fingers, etc. Before, I was driving in jeans and t-shirt, afterwards I know that even the best Arai helmet/Dainese suit/Held gloves/Daytona boots etc. don't have any use if you're just unlucky.

The greatest reason still was that it never gave me the enjoyment that I hoped for. If it did, I would still ride, even if it's very dangerous.
  • dominalien 5 Jun 2013 15:18:46 6,839 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As of today, I do, too. Well, not really, as I'll only be picking it up next week, but I just bought a Honda NC700S.

I know, not terribly exciting, but I am excited as it's my first motorcycle ever. Is it good? Is it bad? I don't know, but I'll have a lot of fun finding out. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• ScoutTech 5 Jun 2013 15:29:42 2,423 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Be quiet all of you :( My bike is stuck else where until I have room to park it at the new house. At this rate I'm going to miss this years biking completely!!! :(
  • ronuds 5 Jun 2013 16:03:45 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    As of today, I do, too. Well, not really, as I'll only be picking it up next week, but I just bought a Honda NC700S.

I know, not terribly exciting, but I am excited as it's my first motorcycle ever. Is it good? Is it bad? I don't know, but I'll have a lot of fun finding out. :-)
    That's a pretty rad ride, if you ask me!
  • dominalien 5 Jun 2013 16:13:32 6,839 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @dominalien

It's a good bike by all accounts. MCN rated it very highly, not only that it can do up to 80mpg which is superb for a 670cc bike.

Welcome to the joys of motorcycling.

Ride safe. :D
    Thank you, I will :-)

Interestingly, I bought it on a whim, having set my sights on a Yamaha XJ6N before that. I just stopped by a Suzuki dealership on the way (the Gladius looks nice, but they just won a tender for supplying motorcycles to training centres over here, so they're in short supply), and a Honda dealership and it was just sitting there. Last year's model, quite a bit cheaper than one from this year, in rather fetching white. Took it on the spot.

I rather like it's low on power, too, as I'll be that much less likely to kill myself. The promised low maintenance costs are a boon, as well.

• dominalien 5 Jun 2013 16:14:50 6,839 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ronuds

Thanks, I think so, too. Not that I have any base for comparison, ofc. :-)

• Salaman 5 Jun 2013 16:16:53 18,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Should be a good bike, I have a Honda 650. Powerful enough to putter about and go on the motorway but not ridiculously overpowered so you'll be tempted to do stupid shit that gets you killed.

Enjoy!
  • glaeken 5 Jun 2013 16:41:08 11,100 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually just got another bike. I don't have any photo's of it but I do have a youtube video of it. It's a 1952 Norton ES2 500. That is not me in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TnHjAkT3t8

It's a little different it has to be said. Gear changes on the right with 1 up 3 down and foot brake on the left. That is taking a little getting used to. It's pretty fun so far though and reasonably fast given the age of the thing. It has about 30bhp.
  • Page

of 22 First / Last