Who rides a motorcycle? Page 14

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• Chopsen 2 Aug 2012 12:09:14 15,161 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I really need a new pair of trousers and was going to try and get to our local one before there's nothing left.

Their own brand gear was quite expensive, but it's really comfortable. I've been quite disappointed with the quality of the gear you get from some places, or the fit wasn't quite right for me. I found their HG stuff to hit the spot, and there were often offers and sales on.

Their non gore-tex stuff was much more sanely priced, and actually their staff would not try and push the higher end stuff whenever I've been in a fair few branches.
  • dogbot 2 Aug 2012 12:16:36 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tbh, all my gear is A*s, so what would I know about stuff being reasonably priced, really? That ship has sailed. :D

But, yeah, anyone needing some new stuff would be well advised to take a trip to their local HG soonish...
  • BillMurray 2 Aug 2012 12:37:41 7,235 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got a 25 HG voucher knocking around somewhere I should really use.
  • dogbot 2 Aug 2012 12:50:34 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The only one I've got is for 10% off and I suspect they may not be too keen to honour it now.

Tbh, I've already bought a new lid (350) this year, and I got all the other gear I wanted (not really needed) at the BMF in May, so I won't be going shopping, even with the allowance. I do need a new set of leathers trousers, but they won't be in there.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/leather-pants/alpinestars-leather-track-pants-2011

(only red)

:o

Edited by dogbot at 12:52:14 02-08-2012
  • dogbot 6 Aug 2012 12:12:09 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I went into HG on Saturday. 10% off all stuff, which isn't what I'd call "massive discounts" tbh.

Had a chat to the two guys who work there who are both pretty devastated as you can imagine. They're nice lads, both proper bikers and I really feel for them.

So in Bristol, for a shop-type place to hang out a bit, look at kit and meet other bikers we're now left with Riders Ducati (ugh) or Fowlers (UUGGHH). Joy. I'd rather start using a bus than patronising either of those two places.
  • Chopsen 6 Aug 2012 12:21:40 15,161 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We had 20% off in Oxford :p

I actually bought a new jacket and trousers, as I needed them anyway - my current outfit was too big and getting to look a bit tatty. Went for one of their sheltex outfits and it 150ish which isn't too bad. Admittedly though, for one of their 400+ goretex jackets, 20% off is still too bloody expensive.
  • dogbot 6 Aug 2012 12:38:32 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've got a pair of Sheltex winter gloves and they're actually *really* good, both warm and pretty well waterproof (I hesitate to suggest entirely, but close for bike purposes).

I ummm... I paid 500 for my winter jacket. But it does totally rock. I reckon you could swim in it and still come out somewhat dry. :D
  • dogbot 9 Aug 2012 11:22:15 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    HG now saying "up to 40% off everything" on their Twitter.
  • glaeken 13 Aug 2012 09:55:53 10,976 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bought a new bike on Saturday after having a couple of years without a bike. This is the beast.

http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=2116806996

It's described as nippy rather than fast. This is my attempt to keep my addiction to speed under control while still enjoying a bit of riding so I guess we will see how that works out. Going from a 950 to 250 I am sure will take a little adjustment.

Edited by glaeken at 09:56:51 13-08-2012
  • Chopsen 13 Aug 2012 10:10:02 15,161 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Always thought 250cc bikes were an interesting idea. Lets face it, even a 125 is adequate for pootling around town and their fuel efficiency is amazing. As long as you're happy to do lots of gear changes - it's only really on open roads they show their limitation. Always wondered how much extra oomph going up to 250 gives you, as surely its still going to be really efficient on the fuel.
  • espadachin 13 Aug 2012 10:19:40 2,210 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I ride a 250 (honda CBF), mine is quite old so probably not as efficient as it was, but they are good fun, they are nippy enough to get you out of trouble and the insurance and fuel use is amazing.
    As mentioned above its only on motorways you really notice the lack of power.
  • glaeken 13 Aug 2012 10:54:01 10,976 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think you notice a huge difference between a 125 and 250 really. Top end you get maybe 75-80 rather than 60 odd but for what I intend to use it for that is plenty as all I want to do is ride around little country lanes. This particular 250 only weights 123Kg so its very light and apparently will do 100 MPG.

@Goodfella it is somewhat cut down :) I was really after a very light bike as I fancy doing a little green lane riding as well but did not want to go for a full motocross bike with their excessive engine maintenance. The bike is actually called a Suzuki Grasstracker big boy.

Edited by glaeken at 11:49:34 13-08-2012
  • dogbot 17 Aug 2012 11:46:02 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bristol Bike Show @ St. Nick's Market/Corn Street tomorrow.

Classic and customs lined up and shiny... in the rain, no doubt.

Will probably pop down for a drool at some point.

I'd post a link to their site, but it's not working.
  • glaeken 17 Aug 2012 12:02:00 10,976 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My new bike rule continued to work on Wednesday when I picked up the beast. It of course rained. I don't think I have ever picked up a bike on a dry day.
  • dogbot 17 Aug 2012 12:09:52 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, it's good to have a challenge, right?

It was the very dog end of November when I picked the R1 up. Ice and everything. That was possibly the least fun ride ever. :D
  • glaeken 17 Aug 2012 12:23:16 10,976 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hate riding in the rain. I am a fair weather biker only these days.

Nothing worse than being a on a new bike you don't know with tires of a unknown quantity and having to get used to it in the wet. That and me not having any wet gear did not make for a nice ride.

As for worst weather I have done snow once :eek: That was interesting to say the least. I was on a KLR250 with knobblies so not the worst of bikes for it but still pretty scary.
  • dogbot 17 Aug 2012 12:44:24 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aaah, see I'm the opposite, one of those all-weather nutters. I sold the car this year, and I'm not using public transport to commute, so it's not like I really have any choice.

Good luck getting some dry roads to try your new beastie on soon, though. :)
  • dogbot 3 Oct 2012 11:14:10 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I got a GoPro Hero2 HD last week.

I'm currently in the process of planning loads of different motorcycle mounting possibilities, but I took a vid of my cross country ride on Saturday, and it's superb. What a great piece of kit. :D
  • Salaman 22 Oct 2012 23:03:35 18,239 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pff my motorcycle has gotten a bit noisy, so presumably an exhaust problem. I took it in and they had a look at what they need to do to fix it and how much it will cost.

The verdict was 880. About 650 for the exhaust and the rest in labour/VAT.

I bought the bike 3.5 years ago. It's a 2001 Honda Deauville.
    I paid 3500 for it but it's since taken some damage as it has been outside on the street for those 3.5 years and was twice toppled on it's side. So it's scratched some and there's some cracks in the side.

It seems robust enough but sinking 880 into a 3500 bike seems excessive.
    Although if I decide to give it up and sell it I doubt I'll get much for it still. :-/

Any ideas? I was contemplating trying to buy an exhaust online and then fitting it myself although I'm completely lacking in any technical skills, so maybe it's a bad idea.
  • Chopsen 23 Oct 2012 00:25:49 15,161 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I looked at getting a new heat guard/shield for my Deauville's exhaust. Not a whole exhaust, just the shield bit. I got quoted something like 500. Unless you can get parts from a wreckers yard, it's not going to be much cheaper if you do it yourself, I suspect, especially when you factor in what *your* time is worth. Agree this stuff is expensive though.
  • Chopsen 23 Oct 2012 00:26:18 15,161 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just put up with a scratched bike, btw.
  • Salaman 23 Oct 2012 10:14:43 18,239 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mine looks a bit mangled. I don't mind it's scratched and has cracks in the side and stuff. Currently though, the exhaust is damaged and makes an awful racket. If I keep going it'll either crack and fall off or I'll get pulled over and given a ticket for it being too noisy.
    So I reckon I either fix it or I give up on it and sell for whatever it's still worth. Probably next to nothing.

I impulse bought an electrical guitar last year. I reckon it may be time to sell that off. It should be worth about 500, so that would cover a large part of it.
  • dogbot 23 Oct 2012 10:26:17 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How much?? What's it made of, virgin pressed gold plate?

I changed the whole exhaust on my Kwak last year for less than 300.
  • glaeken 23 Oct 2012 10:34:11 10,976 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looking at pictures of Deauville's it does look like a fairly fancy exhaust. What exactly is wrong with it anyway? It looks like it might be stainless so maybe you just have some loose bolts of something?
  • dogbot 23 Oct 2012 10:40:01 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It also looks to be in three separate pieces. It's fairly unlikely that you need to replace ALL of it...
  • Salaman 23 Oct 2012 11:12:16 18,239 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, if you look at the picture here, it's 3 pieces.

Between the actual tailpipe and the middle bit, the exhaust has a crack and is on it's way to completely break through. This is the actual exhaust pipe that's underneath the stanless steel exterior.

Buying just the exhaust from here is already 470 without shipping. So yeah. Seems it's a pricey part.
  • dogbot 23 Oct 2012 11:18:32 2,272 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nice R1 background on that second site. Good choice of colours. :D

So it sounds like you only need the end section (silencer), rather than a full system. They appear to go for just under 200, although you might be able to shop around a bit... Example:

http://www.gingerparts.com/motad-nt650-vw-v3-deauville-silencer-only-complete-system

Or from 35 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-NT-700-V-DEAUVILLE-EXHAUST-SILENCER-2010-/310468307698?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item48495a6af2

:)
  • glaeken 23 Oct 2012 11:19:47 10,976 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it's just a crack you could probably have it welded if the pipe is not too rusty. I think mending the exhaust would be a better option that replacement given the cost of the replacement vs. how much the bike is actually worth.
  • Salaman 24 Oct 2012 14:31:31 18,239 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yaaay! I had decided to go pick up my bike and try my luck at some unoffical bike workshop. Just had a call from my Honda dealer. Whilst cleaning up the workshop, they found an exhaust that would fit my bike,. In good nick except fro a scratch on it from a fall. They're not sure where it comes from but as they have it there, they can fit it and get mine sorted on the cheap. Well a bit cheaper at least. :-)

*whew*
  • Page

of 21 First / Last