Who rides a motorcycle? Page 12

• Page

of 22 First / Last

• glaeken 20 Jun 2012 14:32:17 11,108 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ppresumably you cannot ride a direct access bike after only having done a CBT though? I would guess as it sounds like a catch 22 you must be able to hire direct access conforming bikes for your test?

I guess I am a little out of date on the regulations though as I got my license about 20 years ago now before they made everything so complicated.

Edit: Ah I see I was too slow :)

Edited by glaeken at 14:33:02 20-06-2012
  • billythekid 20 Jun 2012 14:35:23 11,037 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All this test malarkey was so much simpler in my day :)
    Done CBT, had a few lessons on a borrowed 125, passed test, bought ZXR 400.
  • billythekid 20 Jun 2012 14:37:33 11,037 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pretty sure you can ride a big bike on just CBT but only whilst supervised by a qualified instructor in radio contact.

Edited by billythekid at 14:37:49 20-06-2012
  • glaeken 20 Jun 2012 14:42:29 11,108 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That would make sense as whenever I have seen L plates on a big bike they do look to be accompanied by a instructor.
  • MetalDog 20 Jun 2012 14:44:09 23,708 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's as I understand it, billythekid.

I've heard that in the old days you just rode around the test building while an examiner on foot waited to throw himself in front of you =)

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• billythekid 20 Jun 2012 14:47:28 11,037 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    That's as I understand it, billythekid.

I've heard that in the old days you just rode around the test building while an examiner on foot waited to throw himself in front of you =)
    Yep, that's the way they did it. My Dad said it was raining on his test and the instructor had a massive yellow umbrella so he always knew where he was.
  • dogbot 21 Jun 2012 16:44:25 2,272 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's pretty much how I passed, tbh. Way back in the middle ages. Well, it seems like it, anyway.

New addition to our garage, tomorrow. Housemate has purchased a '98 Honda C90 Cub, to be used for shopping and odd bits of commuting.

No laughing at the back. :D
  • glaeken 21 Jun 2012 16:47:05 11,108 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well it is the most produced "motorbike" in history so you should not be able to go to far wrong :-P
  • billythekid 21 Jun 2012 16:53:11 11,037 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can do some reasonable wheelies on a C90 :D
  • dogbot 22 Jun 2012 10:11:19 2,272 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just think, £4 a week to run it! :D

Wheelies? I'm going to have to try that... :cool:
  • FairgroundTown 22 Jun 2012 10:40:35 2,522 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think also still the most economical mass-produced vehicle ever made - ridiculous MPG.
  • glaeken 22 Jun 2012 10:44:56 11,108 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was actually wrong about it being the most produced motorbike. It is that but its also the most produced motor vehicle in history. Over 60 million of them which is quite something. I do remember pissing about on one once in my youth and it was quite good fun. I think as they are so light it means you can do more silly stuff on them than a full weight motor bike.
  • dogbot 22 Jun 2012 16:54:22 2,272 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Either way, great little bike...

Price: cheap. Tax: £15. Insurance: Free (added to current policy). MPG: 100+

Lovely...

:)
  • meat_potatoe 22 Jun 2012 17:00:02 85 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Great bike c90's. Friend at work has one, he looks pretty funny in full leathers, especially as he's built like a brick outhouse.
  • MetalDog 27 Jun 2012 19:25:48 23,708 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Provisional driving license turned up tonight!

Eight day turnaround, I am amazed at the swiftness. However, if this license photo was in a line up of even faintly similar people, I'm not convinced I could pick myself out.

Time to book the CBT
    \\o
    o//
    \o/
    *crash*

• askew 27 Jun 2012 21:23:21 12,060 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm looking to ditch my current car as its a little too expensive to run right now. While I could get a more economical car, I've been hankering to ride a bike for a good while, and this would be a great little shove.

I don't want to be without transport for too long once the car has gone, so was hoping to take a week off and do some kind of intensive course - but reading through it looks as though I'll have to wait a week or two after the course to take the test? I don't mind tootling around on a small bike for during that time, but just wanted to check.
  • dogbot 28 Jun 2012 11:07:17 2,272 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @askew

The best thing to do would probably be contact some local training schools, they'll be more likely to give you an idea of waiting times and so on. As far as I know, the only stipulation for taking your module 2 is that you must have passed your module 1 first...
  • MetalDog 3 Jul 2012 14:18:56 23,708 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got back early from the CBT, being decidedly unsafe for the 2hr on road bit!
    Going back Saturday for some one on one training to get a better feel for things. Today, no sooner had I remembered to do one thing, then I forgot another. So many things to remember not enough brain.
    Hopefully a few hours on Saturday will give me some muscle memory on the clutch/brake/throttle situation so I can focus on not stalling, lurching, steering at walls and dropping the bike (which I only did once, very gently, because it was too heavy for me to hold up past the tipping point). I can now do the Hendon shuffle, but I have to really think about it.

Exciting day though - lots of fun, despite failure =D
    I am knackered.

• glaeken 3 Jul 2012 14:39:20 11,108 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably the most important thing to grasp is if itís all going a bit out of control pull the clutch in. That is just taking the power off and using the clutch to control things works better than grabbing the brakes every time things start to go a little bit wrong. If you are going to use the brake stick to the back brake while going slowly as it stops you lurching forward all the time and should enable you to balance a little better.

Ideally I think itís best for you to get a couple of hours on your own just riding about in a car park as I found just being able to practice without someone constantly making suggestions best for getting to grips with things.

I do still remember when I was first on a bike though just how uncontrolled it all felt. It initially felt like I would never grasp it but it did all start to click after an hour or two.
  • MetalDog 3 Jul 2012 14:51:11 23,708 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Most of my fear today was that I'd forget to yank in the clutch and run over my instructors. They claimed to be good dodgers though =) The fact that I kept putting my right foot down worried me - I really want to make my left foot my go-to foot for the floor, so I always have the rear brake while in a wobbly.

There were brief moments when everything clicked and felt great. Very brief, but I'm determined to get it, it's great fun.

@edit - I did car lessons when I was a teenager - about 20 years ago =P I remember the principle of clutch and gears, just not the practice. Lots different on a bike, anyway - so, so twitchy.

Edited by MetalDog at 14:52:34 03-07-2012

• billythekid 3 Jul 2012 14:59:17 11,037 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It'll come MD, glad you enjoyed it though, that's the main thing. It's great that you want to get straight back and master it.

I had a few problems with putting my right down that came from my motocross days, as when you're racing you need your foot on the gear lever for quick changes up the box at the race start!
  • Chopsen 4 Jul 2012 22:29:03 15,753 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ha, just checked the thread to see how it went.

Yeah, it is knackering. I'd forgotten that.

To add to what glaeken said - I found using the back brake much more effective at maintain control of the bike than using the clutch. I know a lot of trainers encourage people to use of the clutch to maintain smooth control during, e.g., the U-turn. I actually found this quite difficult, and found the smoother control you get with back brake helped reduce the risk of mid manoeuvre stall. My wife was the same. I think this might have had a lot to do with the bike we had, there wasn't much depth or range to the clutch on the bike we had. She could not for the life of her do U-turn, until I showed her to control it with a back brake and then there was no stopping her.

Other important tricks to remember is don't hazard-fixate: look at where you want to go, not what you're trying to avoid. You will instinctively ride in to what you're looking it, so if you panic and stare at a bollard, you'll hit it. Look at a piece of road to the side or something.

Also, don't slam on the brakes if you're worried you're tipping over. If you stop moving, you WILL fall :)
  • jakuande 5 Jul 2012 15:50:43 192 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The CBT is quite fun isnt it? Even if you don't make it through first time (I didn't either), at least you didn't crash out. First time I did my CBT the guy I was riding with tried to get his knee down whilst going round a coned off corner in a school playground. Needless to say he was going way too fast and the bike slipped out from under him and sailed off into the wall. No more practice for us that day...

You're doing it right though: learning with instructors on a geared bike. I learned on a 50cc hairdryer, then decided to immediately go out and buy a geared 125 (YBR). The first morning trying to figure out how to ride it was not pretty!
  • dogbot 23 Jul 2012 12:19:46 2,272 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It would be wrong of me to buy another R1, wouldn't it?

But it's so purdy... :D
  • BillMurray 23 Jul 2012 13:15:18 7,624 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Haven't liked the look of R1s for quite a while but that does look good, especially with that specific paint scheme.
  • billythekid 23 Jul 2012 13:25:32 11,037 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It would be wrong. You should get a gsxr :)
  • dogbot 23 Jul 2012 13:32:29 2,272 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No, I definitely shouldn't, I don't like Suzukis.

It's the 2006 50th Kenny Roberts Ltd Edition. Ohlins suspension, Marchesini wheels. And it's very cheap. Well, ok, it's very reasonable. :D
  • BillMurray 23 Jul 2012 13:44:12 7,624 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    It would be wrong. You should get a gsxr :)
    GSXR600 K4 will be my first sports bike I've decided. Hopefully by the end of the year
  • Page

of 22 First / Last