Who rides a motorcycle?

• Page

of 23 First / Last

Previous
  • Salaman 8 Jun 2009 13:19:02 19,242 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The "biking to work" thread on the front page just reminded me.
    Not seen to may topics on motorcycles on here.

I had small 50cc bike when I was 16 and got myself a motorcycle licence when I was about 25, thinking I'd save up for a bike in the following years.
    The gf I was with since was not too fond of the idea, so I never got one.

Since I moved to Belgium 6 months ago and my commute duration is very volatile depending on the traffic, I've decided to get a bike.
    So since a month, my commute is a pleasant 50 minutes and lots of traffic only makes it more pleasant as it's good fun to zip past miles of congestion at 20/30 mph without having to stand there hoping things will get moving soon.

Anyone else biking to work?

• StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jun 2009 13:22:57 26,134 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bike, but not to work.

I'm never awake enough to trust myself first thing in the morning :) plus it's actually easier to get here via train and doesn't cost much more.

Weekends though, are a different matter. Especially when the weathers nice.
  • jonsaan 8 Jun 2009 13:23:15 25,360 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I used to ride a scooter to work. Then a lorry reversed over me crushing my bike like a fly (my executive decision to jump off pre impact paid off), weeks later I got back on my replacement and a car went into the back of me sending me flying, superman like across a junction. I gave up :D

FCUTA!

• StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jun 2009 13:27:12 26,134 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fucking hell! Let me know when and where you decide to drive each day. I'll be sure to stay nice and safe at home :D
  • Salaman 8 Jun 2009 13:29:22 19,242 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fucking hell jonsaan. Not much luck with scooters then.
    I'd give proper bikes a go then.
    ;-)
  • Alastair 8 Jun 2009 13:32:23 16,027 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    a car went into the back of me sending me flying, superman like across a junction. I gave up :D

That sounds awesome, but I suspect it wasn't at the time.

I've only ever ridden a scooter in Bermuda (it's pretty much the only way tourists can get around) and it was totally awesome. I've always fancied getting some two wheeled transport so I can get past queuing traffic but never done anything about it...
  • billythekid 8 Jun 2009 13:32:34 11,195 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've rode bikes since I was about five, used to race motocross every weekend and got road bikes as soon as I was seventeen. Been without one for the first time for about a year now due to financial constraints but I'm now looking for another.
    Last one was a Suzuki GSXR 600 and I'm thinking the next one is going to be the 750 or 1000cc.

You're right though, nipping past stopped traffic is ftw.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jun 2009 13:34:54 26,134 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I've always fancied getting some two wheeled transport so I can get past queuing traffic but never done anything about it...
    Doooo iiiiiiiit.

We can then form up a EG branch of the Hells Angels :)
  • ScoutTech 8 Jun 2009 13:37:34 2,425 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep I commute on the bike & love it, nice twisty country roads with the town bits just as fun as I annoy cars :D Have a z750s & been doing it for just over a year.

Everytime I see that bike to work thread I got to say I do but realise that it is the wrong kind of bike :(
  • FairgroundTown 8 Jun 2009 13:45:12 2,522 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Like Billy, I had a bike (CG125) for years - finally sold it because I had to choose between it and a car. Now looking for something new. Can't decide whether to get another 125 or make the step up to something bigger. If I *REALLY* wanted to, I could afford something like a new Transalp, but... do I *REALLY* want it???

/ Also "bikes" to work in the other thread!
  • L_Franko Moderator 8 Jun 2009 13:46:21 9,694 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nearly everyone on my dad's side have always had bikes for road and fun use but it never really rubbed off on me.
    If I didn't have to go through another test to get a license for a bike I would think about getting one maybe, but as I do it will never happen.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jun 2009 13:47:12 26,134 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a common as muck CBR600, but I do love it so. It's all sexy and stuff and makes me move very quickly :)

One day though, I'll hopefully be earning enough to treat myself to a Ducati.

One day.
  • Alastair 8 Jun 2009 13:48:13 16,027 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    I've always fancied getting some two wheeled transport so I can get past queuing traffic but never done anything about it...
    Doooo iiiiiiiit.

Hmm, it'd be more like Hell's Puppies, as I'd probably get a 125 scooter!
  • glaeken 8 Jun 2009 13:49:29 11,220 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I used to commute into London by bike but I actually found it quite stressful as I used to have a lot of near misses. This was not helped by me slowly turning into a dispatch rider the longer I did it. Still I managed 3 years all told but these days Id rather snooze on a coach.

I still have a bike (KTM 950 SMR) but its only a weekend toy these days.
  • warlockuk 8 Jun 2009 13:49:37 19,185 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Doooo iiiiiiiit.

Nah. If we had a backpatch we'd get in serious shit with local biker gangs. Shame, but that's the way it is. Shoulder badge or smaller patch should be alreet though.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Salaman 8 Jun 2009 13:51:06 19,242 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One question for the UK based bikers. Is there any form of acknowledging fellow bikers in traffic that's common over there?

I'm just learning the biketiquette now. The way it seems to work in Belgium:

All bikers wave at other oncoming bikers as you pass each other when on a road that doesn't have any central divider.

When there is a central divider, you mostly ignore each other

Most bikers wave at other bikers when overtaking or about to be overtaken. It's a bit more hit and miss this one.

When you've just overtaken a fellow biker, you can substitute the wave by a "stretch leg" where you lift off one of your legs briefly and stick it out a bit. (I only realised this was an acknowledgement after 3 weeks. I initially assumed they really were just stretching their leg.)

When passing a biker who's stationary and dismounted, a wave is entirely optional.

Scooters don't get waved at. No matter if it's a puny 50cc, a 125cc or a more powerful 250cc. They're not bikes!

When standing at front row at the red light, side by side, a head nod or wave seems to be customary.

I'm unsure what to do with police bikers. I was in town traffic Saturday and there was one next to me in this rather small street where we were queueing behind some cars on Saturday. I stoically kept my eyes front as I haven't sussed that bit out.

I found it a bit bewildering at first to have unkown people wave at me but it's rather cool. Makes you feel like you're a member of the big "we're all bikers us" club and it somehow brightens your day a little to have people waving at you all the time.
  • Alastair 8 Jun 2009 13:52:40 16,027 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    If I didn't have to go through another test to get a license for a bike I would think about getting one maybe, but as I do it will never happen.

This is part of the reason I'll probably never get around to it. Plus, I'm quite sure my wife won't let me!
  • ScoutTech 8 Jun 2009 13:53:27 2,425 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm sure a backpatch with a controller & the EG motto "PLEEEEEEEEASEDON'TKILLME!!!!!!" would keep us safe enough.

@L_Franko: I'd never been fussed but just decided one holiday that would be what I did. Took an intensive week course and got my CBT & training all done, took the test the next week & never looked back. Still not sure what got it into my head!

edit: Ohh and the "won't let me" reason, just do it in secret ;) Thats what I did to everyone. They all though I had a week long course to go to & were ribbing me something chronic for having to be stuck on my week off. I did it partly to allay worries but partly so if I failed or decided it wasn't for me then I could shrug it off in secret :D
  • FairgroundTown 8 Jun 2009 13:54:10 2,522 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The letters page of MCN is always complaining about how nobody does "the nod" now.
  • glaeken 8 Jun 2009 13:54:44 11,220 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I only wave or nod if someone does it to me first. That is only manors but I don't initiate it as there are so many bikes around my area it just becomes a major pain the arse nodding constantly.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jun 2009 13:55:51 26,134 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You get the odd wave or nod from bikers, but from my own experiences it's not that widely done round here. I've kinda given up doing it myself unless someone else instigates it now, as I feel like a bit of a plum when I don't get it back.
  • billythekid 8 Jun 2009 13:57:30 11,195 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2zstkx3.jpg
  • ScoutTech 8 Jun 2009 13:57:43 2,425 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I nod to just about everyone, scooters don't count unless I want to confuse them. Always a nod. I don't bother if I over take them, unless it is a thank you nod, or if I get overtaken. Don't on motorways though for obvious reasons.
  • billythekid 8 Jun 2009 14:00:44 11,195 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ScoutTech wrote:
    I nod to just about everyone, scooters don't count unless I want to confuse them. Always a nod. I don't bother if I over take them, unless it is a thank you nod, or if I get overtaken. Don't on motorways though for obvious reasons.

I nod to everyone except scooters, Police bikes and Harleys.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jun 2009 14:01:10 26,134 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Nice :D
  • guts 8 Jun 2009 14:01:53 1,690 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I used to bike, and completed a couple of CBT's but never got a full license. Had a nice little nsr215rr. Would love to get back into it, but need to save up for full test, bike, biking gear etc. One day though, I will be back on a bike. I always preferred bikes to cars and it's only because of having a wife and daughter that I always get cars instead.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• billythekid 8 Jun 2009 14:02:09 11,195 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Nice :D

Probably needs to be a bit more geeky I reckon!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jun 2009 14:04:21 26,134 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I still have my NSR125 tucked away in the garage. I still love it and can't bear to part with it, I have so many fond memories. I even got my CBR in the same paint scheme! :)
  • glaeken 8 Jun 2009 14:04:45 11,220 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    ScoutTech wrote:

You nod to Harley's? You know when I used to nod when I was younger I always found cutom bike riders the worst for returning nods. They always seemed too preoccupied with checking out what they look like in their mirrors to my eye.

Oh and BMW riders I also found were likely to be nod offenders.
  • billythekid 8 Jun 2009 14:06:19 11,195 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    ScoutTech wrote:

You nod to Harley's? You know when I used to nod when I was younger I always found cutom bike riders the worst for returning nods. They always seemed too preoccupied with checking out what they look like in their mirrors to my eye.

Oh and BMW riders I also found were likely to be nod offenders.

No I don't nod to them! Dem iz ignorantz.
  • Page

of 23 First / Last

Previous