Edge owns Tim Langdell. Seriously (Edge) Page 27

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• phisheep 19 Apr 2013 13:17:07 21 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Retroid You may regret saying that. I have a very large rolling pin.
  • itsoldsquarejaw 19 Apr 2013 13:26:13 208 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cheers Phi, sorry to drag it up. Just curiousity as you're doing a lot of interesting work and I was more disappointed in the thread being closed.

Keep on keepin' on, a lot of people are grateful for your info. btw there's a massive anti-Gaf sentiment on here; it's historic. :) I can't remember the root of it now...
  • Retroid Moderator 19 Apr 2013 13:36:51 45,310 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    phisheep wrote:
    @Retroid You may regret saying that. I have a very large rolling pin.
    #SexyTime
  • TarickStonefire 19 Apr 2013 14:46:22 3,429 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Holy crap, this all kicked off in 2009? Jesus. Is that when started this thread? Seems like only yesterday Langdell was replying to my own emails lol (and claiming it wasn't him. Or his wife. Which it was).

He really was a fascinating asshole. I hope his life is pretty much a living hell of pauperdom now.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• phisheep 19 Apr 2013 16:56:20 21 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I spent some time today going through the finicky detail of Langdell's lastest motions just in case there was anything worth picking up and commenting on.

There isn't.

It is all riff and flannel and waffle the whole way through, and will come to nothing. Case is over, all but formally.

In theory it is still possible for EA to pursue the fraud allegations before the Board, but I think it unlikely - first clue we'll get as to that is if they file a change of attorney. More likely that they will drop the case at this stage.

Edited by phisheep at 17:08:29 19-04-2013
  • phisheep 19 Apr 2013 17:25:41 21 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    And while all this has been going on, on 1st April Langdell applied for two further trademarks: 85891810 "EDGE GAMING PC" and 85891791 "EDGE PC".

Looks to me like Velocity Micro should get in fast and oppose these.

This thing is a Hydra and it is going to take more than the EA case to kill it off properly.

Edited by phisheep at 17:39:53 19-04-2013
  • daft 19 Apr 2013 18:20:18 554 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    phisheep wrote:
    And while all this has been going on, on 1st April Langdell applied for two further trademarks: 85891810 "EDGE GAMING PC" and 85891791 "EDGE PC".

Looks to me like Velocity Micro should get in fast and oppose these.

This thing is a Hydra and it is going to take more than the EA case to kill it off properly.
    He is persistent, I'll give him that... Thanks for the brilliant updates on this case.
  • skuzzbag 19 Apr 2013 18:43:19 5,732 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The man's obsessed by that word. I wonder what happened to him to make it get into his head like that.
  • X201 19 Apr 2013 19:23:28 15,743 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    phisheep wrote:

We could have a whip round, although with the gold price as high as it is, we'd probably only raise enough for a gold potato peeler.
  • phisheep 19 Apr 2013 20:02:33 21 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gonna need more than a potato peeler. The swift sword of justice and a strong negotiating hand should do it, but is a bit troublesome finding the appropriate people to wield the sword at the right time.

For example, I've just been having a closer look at these latest two applications from Langdell (EDGE PC and EDGE GAMING PC applied for on 1st April). Both applications refer to the PCs being made under licence by Velocity Micro. Now, I don't know the terms of the, ahem, "amicable agreement" between Edge Games and Velocity Micro, but it's a good guess that it lapses if Tim loses the trademarks - or he might be in breach of something-or-other. These new applications seem to be an attempt to rescue the agreement. I don't know either what leverage Velocity Micro might have here, but it would be worth their while digging out that agreement and paying close attention to the small print - chances are they will be free to oppose the new applications and disentangle themselves from Langdell at last.

Certainly (or as certainly as I can be) they'll not be bound by the agreement at present, as Langdell has no relevant registered marks that can be licensed, and even if there are no hitches it'll take about 6 months for these new applications to reach the register. So there's time to get a decent lawyer onto it.

But the trouble is, do they have the stomach to fight it? That's not my call. It'll be difficult, as it always is with Langdell. I very much hope that the Board makes a vexatious litigant ruling, as that alone would blunt his threats significantly.

Edited by phisheep at 20:23:43 19-04-2013

Edited by phisheep at 09:21:51 20-04-2013
  • phisheep 21 Apr 2013 21:10:03 21 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for giving me a temporary home guys. I'm back up on GAF now, though I promise to pop in a bit more frequently for tea and and crumpets!
  • DFawkes 21 Apr 2013 21:17:31 24,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Should you ever decided that writing a book about this case is worth it, do return here and plug it as I'd definitely want to pre-order that :)

That's when it's really, properly over of course. And it will never end. Tim cannot be stopped.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• phisheep 22 Apr 2013 19:28:09 21 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DFawkes Well, the trouble is it may never be really properly over as you suggest. The internet's just starting to wake up to this news and is suggesting (for the second time) that it is all over. It isn't all over. For the last four years we've been following a rather linear rollercoaster narrative - the on-rails version, because it has all been constrained by the EA case.

This decision isn't so much a guillotine as a firework explosion - it sets off all manner of possible things in different directions, which is why it is going to be difficult to keep it all in track. We've all of a sudden gone open-world. I'm hoping that all of them will fizzle out in about the next year, but that's far from saying this is the end! You'll see more of the implications of this when the new GAF thread opens up in a few days time.

Best wishes guys, I'll be back.
  • TarickStonefire 22 Apr 2013 19:47:46 3,429 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @phisheep I don't know why you don't just live a much quieter life and let EA and everyone else deal with this shambling cunt.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• phisheep 22 Apr 2013 20:11:02 21 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    @phisheep I don't know why you don't just live a much quieter life and let EA and everyone else deal with this shambling cunt.
    Because, quite simply, it won't get the job done. And I'm big into justice. Given Langdell's recent filings, the EA case won't do it; it's unlikely that individual licensees will have the resources (though they might have if they band together); and it's unlikely the justice system will have the will without prodding to bring the guy down.

And I really don't want to live in a world where the Langdells have the upper hand.

That's why.
  • Mr-Brett 21 Jan 2014 16:31:22 12,894 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We might have a new one. Somehow the Candy Crush creators have been granted the trademark for the word 'Candy' :/
    Naturally they're now throwing their legal weight around.

RPS Link

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• mothercruncher 21 Jan 2014 17:17:14 7,819 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It makes circa $900,000 a DAY. That buys an awful lot of cunty lawyers.
  • Mr-Brett 21 Jan 2014 17:33:49 12,894 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, there's a lot of people out there with questionable taste and/or sense. I still can't see them holding onto it for very long, it's just too common and someone will have to challenge it.

• SomaticSense 21 Jan 2014 22:57:00 9,147 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BTW. I now own the word 'sense' as I have trademarked my username. Therefore I expect payments backdating from the day I opened my EG account, or you are all going to court motherfuckers!

*vile greedy cunt*

Edited by SomaticSense at 22:57:52 21-01-2014
  • President_Weasel 21 Jan 2014 23:27:13 9,659 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most of the users here aren't associated with sense in any way and thus safe from your evil legal machinations.
  • SomaticSense 21 Jan 2014 23:54:24 9,147 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I notice you used the word 'sense' in your post. Expect a call from my 102 extremely expensive lawyers.

Already I'm going to be rolling in it at this rate! :D

Seriously though. I hope King go bust over this. The sickening irony that a developer of a godamn copycat match-three puzzler can claim ownership of a single word within their game's staggeringly 'unique' title is unbelievably depressing. Now that the US courts have said "yes, this is ok", then we can expect it to be a precedent that we see much more of in future

Edited by SomaticSense at 23:59:15 21-01-2014
  • Moot_Point 21 Jan 2014 23:59:03 4,611 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• HelloNo 22 Jan 2014 00:30:09 1,275 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Langdell is probably watching in envy and awe at their machinations.
  • ubergine 22 Jan 2014 08:48:09 2,870 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Langdell never had a monster hit game and tens of millions of dollars.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Murbs 22 Jan 2014 08:56:51 22,586 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://thecandyjam.com/
  • mcmonkeyplc 22 Jan 2014 09:09:15 39,567 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They're not actually copyrighting the word. They're copyrighting it's use in certain items.

CANDY!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Mr-Brett 22 Jan 2014 09:14:27 12,894 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Banner Saga was mentioned at the end of the last RPS article, well turns out that's not a rumour: Link.

• Widge Moderator 22 Jan 2014 09:25:46 13,743 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't know what to think of this.

Yes, it is causing a complete disaster in the system with the trademarking of vague words like Candy.

But, successful games and brands suddenly find themselves devalued and piggybacked by cheapskate rip off iTunes merchants. Angry This, Doodle That, Candy Somethingelse. What else can you do but trademark your brand?

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Mr-Brett 22 Jan 2014 10:09:02 12,894 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a valid point for sure but the problem is that these companies continue to prove that they're incapable of policing it sensibly.

• Murbs 22 Jan 2014 10:10:19 22,586 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    The Banner Saga was mentioned at the end of the last RPS article, well turns out that's not a rumour: Link.
    Likelihood of confusion my f***ing arse.
  • Page

of 28 First / Last