Lost Final Season 6 Official Thread (US Pace) Page 248

  • Page

    of 249 First / Last

  • Ged42 8 Feb 2012 15:10:35 7,700 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Guys you've got to let the island go.
  • bzzct 8 Feb 2012 15:13:02 1,725 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I felt answers not being given to things was less of a problem than the answers just being much duller than the initial conceits often teased. Season 1 was excellent at throwing you something weird-looking, and saying: "what's the mystery behind this?!", and then in most cases the answers were actually really dull.

    Edited by bzzct at 15:16:31 08-02-2012
  • Tom_Servo 8 Feb 2012 15:14:11 17,310 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it's fair to say that a number of the fan theories were actually better than what the writers themselves came up with.
  • nickthegun 8 Feb 2012 15:25:31 58,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Because the fan theories generally were more in keeping with the tone of the first three or four series, rather than the nonsense it devolved into.

    Like the brainwashing rooms with the techno. That was AWESOME and it didnt get a single mention again. Why were they doing that and to what end? Nobody knows!

    And Ben Vs Widmore was setup to be a titanic struggle, but ended with widmore getting killed offscreen in a wardrobe.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Tom_Servo 8 Feb 2012 15:32:15 17,310 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh, I loved that room! I've said it a million times, but the way it was going at that time was incredible. Like you say, it devolved into gibberish nonsense.

    And yeah, Ben v Widmore was a major disappointment. They spent seasons building that up, even heavily implying there was something stopping them from simply killing each other, and then... Ben shoots him anyway. Bah.

    A good example of the fan theories being better is the smoke monster. The idea that it was an escaped Dharma experiment into nanobots was obvious, but that was because it worked. It rather beggars belief that the writers thought that it being a man's soul floating around was a good idea.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2012 15:32:56
    Don't forget the temple, what a waste that was.
  • bzzct 8 Feb 2012 15:32:58 1,725 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    And Ben Vs Widmore was setup to be a titanic struggle, but ended with widmore getting killed offscreen in a wardrobe.
    This (approach to characters in general, of which Ben/Widmore was perhaps the best example) was another area in where it was much better at setting up something promising looking than actually delivering. You'd get lots of building and building that this, THIS is who's all behind it all, and then rather than get any resolution, some long-haired guy would walk out of a temple and all the focus would be on him instead.

    Stuff would never really end, a point would just come where the weight of focus was on something else instead, and you gradually realised: oh, that initial thing isn't important any more - there was no big mystery behind it after all.
  • nickthegun 8 Feb 2012 15:39:50 58,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats actually a pretty astute observation. Every time things came to a head, something new was introduced and totally stole focus away from the previous plot points.

    OMG! A SUBMARINE!

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Chopsen 8 Feb 2012 16:14:44 15,716 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That was what the series was all about though, wasn't it? It was about racking up the tension, never about delivering. It was kind of the *point* of the thing.

    An analogy would be a magic trick. Not know how the trick is done is part of why its entertaining and magical. Once you actually see how it's done and how mundane it is, it's disappointing.

    Lost could never have ended well for this kind of reason. Actually revealing what was going on was always going to be a let-down. (tbh I think "smoke monster is nanobot cloud" would have been naff if actually ended up on screen). I think what they should have done is never really answered anything, and ended on a complete WTF scene that left you completely...er...Lost!
  • richarddavies 8 Feb 2012 16:23:01 2,581 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I agree with that Chopsen. I like to complain about Lost myself as it left lot's of shit unanswerd and unexplained but I'm actually not sure whether I would of enjoyed it more if I did know everything. I mean would you? Then again is that just down to the writing and if they wrote the explainations well enough? I'm losing myself now....
  • nickthegun 8 Feb 2012 16:32:28 58,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    That was what the series was all about though, wasn't it? It was about racking up the tension, never about delivering.
    Up to a point, yes, however it did deliver answers but often to the questions nobody asked, which was the frustrating thing.

    Answers were often dished up but they were usually to the weaker parts of the plot when, for me, the most interesting things were left dangling.

    I did enjoy lost and, yes, you dont need to explain everything in a story. I think my frustrations (still) mainly lie in the direction the series took in the final two seasons which saw it cross from kind of sci-fi to kind of weak fantasy.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • ecureuil 8 Feb 2012 16:36:43 76,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They could have given answers and had it still be good.

    Thought the series ended ok, but the direction of the story was ultimately disappointing. I wanted them to go down the hardcore science fiction route, but they copped out. They shot their sci-fi load in season 5, and never went back.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2012 16:39:10
    Like primer?
  • Deleted user 8 February 2012 16:39:22
    @ecu - Thank fuck for that!

    Edited by mowgli at 16:40:19 08-02-2012
  • bzzct 8 Feb 2012 17:16:32 1,725 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    That was what the series was all about though, wasn't it? It was about racking up the tension, never about delivering. It was kind of the *point* of the thing.

    An analogy would be a magic trick. Not know how the trick is done is part of why its entertaining and magical. Once you actually see how it's done and how mundane it is, it's disappointing.
    That's a terrible analogy. A better analogy would be a Jonathan Creek episode where they never actually explain how it was done.

    It's satisfying and entertaining to be presented with something that looks impossible, when there's something intricate, elaborate and ingenious behind it that makes it possible. In a magic trick, merely the fact that the trick is happening means there must be something behind it that's making it happen. In fiction, that doesn't work, because you can just write down something impossible without there being any method behind it.

    Edited by bzzct at 17:24:38 08-02-2012
  • Flightrisker 8 Feb 2012 22:57:00 18,096 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If anyone excepted that a mystery sci-fi show on an Island told over 6 years of tv series was ever going to tie it all together nicely you're insane. Shows are constantly being re-written during shooting and will also have some inconsistencies even more so in this genre. The fact that bit managed to make it six years and end pretty good is a testament to it. Look how easily shows like Heroes, Flashforward, The Event etc all just collapsed in on themselves.

    It's so easy to just go 'should have been nanobots'. :) they did a bloody amazing job.


    And yes I'm really gone now :)
  • Deleted user 14 February 2012 15:04:04
    http://fanedit.org/14402/
  • Chopsen 14 Feb 2012 15:15:31 15,716 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bzzct wrote:
    It's satisfying and entertaining to be presented with something that looks impossible, when there's something intricate, elaborate and ingenious behind it that makes it possible. In a magic trick, merely the fact that the trick is happening means there must be something behind it that's making it happen. In fiction, that doesn't work, because you can just write down something impossible without there being any method behind it.
    But Lost specifically was never about that. Like I said, I think it was about ramping up the tension, having that perpetual cliff-hanger feeling. In fact, think they never intended to answer it coherently and it was always about throwing in more and more WTF's and see how long they could string it out for and still have people coming back.

    They said from the start they had it planned out, but that was part of the patter, part of the trick. There never was a plan, saying there was a plan was part of the trick to get people coming back for more.

    That's just my theory though :)
  • bzzct 14 Feb 2012 15:32:18 1,725 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    In fact, think they never intended to answer it coherently and it was always about throwing in more and more WTF's and see how long they could string it out for and still have people coming back.

    They said from the start they had it planned out, but that was part of the patter, part of the trick. There never was a plan, saying there was a plan was part of the trick to get people coming back for more.
    I know/agree - that was exactly my criticism.

    Edited by bzzct at 15:36:48 14-02-2012
  • richarddavies 14 Feb 2012 16:00:28 2,581 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think they probably did just make it up as they went along. That's what pissed me off the most. It just felt like they bullshitted just to get in the viewers/cash then came up with any old nonsensical shit and fucked off to the bahamas and had a money fight on the beach.

    Pricks.
  • IJ 13 Mar 2012 12:50:20 801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished this series:
    After watching Series 1-5 of Lost when they came out, I've finally got around to watching Season 6 a few years after season 5.

    Season 6 - 7/10
    Final episode 9/10
    The series as a whole - 9/10


    Brilliant stuff. Series 6 started very badly but the final half was excellent and the final episode was brilliant, ended perfectly.

    As a whole I love this series. Seasons 1-3 were certainly the best when it was fairly simple and there wasn't layer upon layer of complexity. Yes it is a little cheesey in places but so many series are. I loved the characters, the setting, the flashbacks were superb, infact the off-island bits were generally the best.

    So yes it suffers next to Mad Men, The Wire, Breaking bad...but I view it as something different, more akin to 24, fast paced, easy watching which doesn't take itself too seriously.

    Loved the 'sideways' flashes of the final season, worked brilliantly and the oddly warming feeling of them all being back together and meeting up...it shouldn't have worked, it should have been cheesey but actually it just felt right. Sad to see it go.
  • Physically_Insane 13 Mar 2012 12:52:11 8,614 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They made it up as they went along.
  • Lexx87 13 Mar 2012 12:56:36 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Who gives a shit, it was great TV.

    Even if the beginning of Season 6 almost made me give up on the entire thing.

    Speak the truth hussy!

  • HoriZon 13 Mar 2012 12:58:37 13,496 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Season 4 was the best one it just seemed to flow so well and it was shorter.

    I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

  • Deleted user 13 March 2012 13:06:30
    3 is great on a second watch
  • IJ 13 Mar 2012 13:11:17 801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    They made it up as they went along.
    I must say, this attitude annoys me. I am no crazy LOST fan (there seem to be a lot out there....) I've watched each series once and enjoyed it.

    But all the fans bemoaning the writers, that they were just throwing random things in to keep audience attention, that they had no plan, they didn't know how it all fitted together. It was just to con money out of the audience. It is pure nonsense. Just because they didn't explicitly explain everything doesn't mean none of it fitted together.

    The writers are artists at the end of the day. Which artist explains the meaning of their work? Painters, poets, playwrites, authors all leave their work open to interpretation. Mature works are made to explore themes, rather than just entertain. There is the authors own interpretation of their work but even they would say that is just one view.

    Lost will not be held up there with Man Men, Sopranos, The Wire etc and because it is fairly cheesey maybe rightfully so. But never have I stopped watching these shows and had it in my head for a week after thinking about what it all meant, how to interpret it etc.

    The show explored lots of themes, good vs evil, faith vs science, fate vs free will, Man vs nature, civilisation, to name a few, it explored human relationships, father and son, husband and wife, love, trust, religion, leadership....none were handled subtly or uniquely which is why it won't be held up a classic piece of art, but it has tackled more than most series and did so while being engaging to the mass market and entertaining.

    Did the island exist at all? Or did they all die in the initial crash and the island was all part of pugatory, where the characters tackled their flaws so they become more complete and could move on? It is certainly possible. This theory is not 'wrong' but nor is the theory that the island did really exist. You can interpret it as you like and nothing is wrong, even if it is different to what the writers thought they were doing, it does not make it wrong.

    Edited by IJ at 13:14:32 13-03-2012
  • Lexx87 13 Mar 2012 13:11:19 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Recently picked up the whole thing on bluray as well, looking forward to doing it all again!

    Speak the truth hussy!

  • ecureuil 13 Mar 2012 13:32:40 76,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought about it, but it's too much time. It's over 5 days worth of TV.

    That's five days of your life you're going to spend watching something you've already seen. It just feels like a massive waste of time for me, even though I did enjoy the series.
  • nickthegun 13 Mar 2012 14:02:03 58,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I doubt I will ever make an effort to rewatch it. Like BSG, I enjoyed it but im in no hurry to watch it again.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Lexx87 13 Mar 2012 14:06:03 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've seen BSG 3 times now :(

    Well, almost. On the final season of the bluray set. I've been really sad with it this time, an episode before bed with a listen to the Ron Moore commentry/podcast on the way to work. Really enjoy his commentries though and it's been quite a nice experience.

    Well, ecu, the hours we spend gaming you could say the same thing. Number of hours you've put into Skyrim say, it's no difference what we do with our time is it? :)

    Speak the truth hussy!

  • Page

    of 249 First / Last

Log in or register to reply