*Official* Final Fantasy VII PSP/PS3 thread

• Page

of 32 First / Last

Previous
  • DyingAtheist 3 Jun 2009 11:33:08 14 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://kotaku.com/5276039/final-fantasy-vii-on-playstation-store-today

So our wonderful american chums have got their greasy hands on Final Fantasy VII on PSN. I'm really very happy for them, but does anyone have a bead on the euro release yet? I've done some asking around but I'm met with stony silence at every turn. First one to find any info gets...er.....well nothing frankly. Possibly kudos.
  • Dazimus 3 Jun 2009 11:38:06 596 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't you just download it from the US PSN store? That's what I'll be doing anyway :)

I'm sure I read NTSC PS1 games ran better anyway (17% faster?) and had no borders?
  • DyingAtheist 3 Jun 2009 11:39:37 14 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alas, no credit card (which I understand is required for such shenanigans). Plus it would be wrong and naughty and such.
  • consignia 3 Jun 2009 11:41:37 1,433 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DyingAtheist wrote:
    Alas, no credit card (which I understand is required for such shenanigans). Plus it would be wrong and naughty and such.

And most credit cards don't work.

I wouldn't doubt it's coming, but who knows how long it'll take to arrive.
  • Dazimus 3 Jun 2009 11:42:19 596 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You have a debit card? Entropay used my Visa Electron just fine for downloading Rock Band 2 NTSC tracks :)
  • DyingAtheist 3 Jun 2009 11:46:48 14 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have one of those godawful maestro cards. No steam games, no US purchases and even some UK online stores ignore it. I should really trade up but I think my bank balance would thank me for not opening that particular pandoras box.
  • famous_roy 3 Jun 2009 11:50:28 4,102 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oooh will get this tonight! You don't need a credit card, normal debit will do.. buy a voucher online and just redeem it on a made up US PSN account..

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• mikeysyke 3 Jun 2009 11:58:33 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Never tried here but what about here for a PSN card? you can use paypal too

http://www.maximuscards.com/index.php?ref=hajxww931t
  • DyingAtheist 3 Jun 2009 12:16:59 14 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ooo interesting, VERY interesting. As I said though, that would be wrong and naughty. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy some completly legitimate products using a completly legitimate and entirely wholesome method.
    *squints suspiciously left and right and reaches for debit card*
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 12:45:29
    Don't want to spoil the fun here, but some people in US are already reporting problems with this game. There are some graphical glitches that were apparently present in the homemade conversions of the game if you know what I mean.
    Obviously I mean ISOs converted to an eboot file that the PSP can run
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 12:54:56
    Coming to Europe "soon" according to a comment reply on the EU PS Blog

VidZone is indeed on the horizon, as is FFVII, they are both coming soon.
  • patch 3 Jun 2009 13:01:27 543 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    betahoven wrote:
    Coming to Europe "soon" according to a comment reply on the EU PS Blog

VidZone is indeed on the horizon, as is FFVII, they are both coming soon.

F*ck yeah! As VidZone is out next week I can only summise (entirely falsely) that FFVII will be out next week too! You heard it here first!!!
  • PinkSpider 3 Jun 2009 13:04:05 3,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone know if the US version is the International version? Didnt their original version have missing stuff?
  • PinkSpider 3 Jun 2009 13:13:02 3,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah, I always thought the US version had stuff missing myself (although I have never played these).

Also; the girlfriend has a credit card, however wont it ask for the address? Do I lie?
  • Psiloc 3 Jun 2009 13:15:22 1,465 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The US and UK versions of the game are the same in content, however as mentioned the PAL conversion is appalling. Seriously, I'd buy the US version even if the UK one was already out.
  • PinkSpider 3 Jun 2009 13:16:58 3,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Excellent, I shall be owning the US version then. Always wondered what it would be like at normal speed.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 13:17:58
    Psiloc wrote:
    The US and UK versions of the game are the same in content, however as mentioned the PAL conversion is appalling. Seriously, I'd buy the US version even if the UK one was already out.

In which way mate is the PAL vers. "appalling"?
    I mean, how much worse is it from the other versions? (US/JAP)

Care to elaborate?

/doesn't know anything about this kind of things
  • Cappy 3 Jun 2009 13:24:47 11,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Indeed. Buying PAL versions during the PS1/N64 generation was pretty retarded but most people didn't know better.

If you hadn't seen the genuine article you had no idea what you were playing was slowed down with a shonky frame rate, often displaying the wrong colours and heavily bordered with squashed graphics.
  • Widge Moderator 3 Jun 2009 13:25:16 13,614 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Be aware that I've read on here that US game going on PSP will set it to US mode, meaning you can't play your UK stuff..... same the other way, put a UK game on after that and you can't play the US ones. I believe.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Gaol 3 Jun 2009 13:26:59 2,417 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's guaranteed to be either squished or have huge black borders if you play it on PSP anyway.
  • Gaol 3 Jun 2009 13:27:56 2,417 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disc wrote:
    I think you just need to login to the PS store with an US or UK account. You can reset that on the console. Just a bit of a hassle.

Can you do that from the PSP alone now? You used to need to connect to PC or PS3 to reset it.
  • Psiloc 3 Jun 2009 13:31:43 1,465 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    klem578 wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Basically here in PAL land our televisions (used to) refresh at 50hz, whereas NTSC refresh at 60hz. Also PAL has 625 lines of resolution whereas NTSC has 525.

To get a game that was made for an NTSC system (FFVII was made in Japan, it's NTSC there too) to display on a PAL set the developers need to either do lots of fancy conversion stuff to get it to play the same, or they can do a 5 minute job of filling the 100 extra horizontal lines with black and slowing the game down 17%.

Square used to do the latter. Although to be fair 99% of developers did up to and including the PS2 era.
  • Jazzy_Geoff 3 Jun 2009 13:35:05 7,767 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mikeysyke wrote:
    Never tried here but what about here for a PSN card? you can use paypal too

http://www.maximuscards.com/index.php?ref=hajxww931t

DOES THIS MEAN I CAN PURCHASE SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT

have tried with my CC and entropay with no avail
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 14:02:05
    Psiloc wrote:
    klem578 wrote:
    Psiloc wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Basically here in PAL land our televisions (used to) refresh at 50hz, whereas NTSC refresh at 60hz. Also PAL has 625 lines of resolution whereas NTSC has 525.

To get a game that was made for an NTSC system (FFVII was made in Japan, it's NTSC there too) to display on a PAL set the developers need to either do lots of fancy conversion stuff to get it to play the same, or they can do a 5 minute job of filling the 100 extra horizontal lines with black and slowing the game down 17%.

Square used to do the latter. Although to be fair 99% of developers did up to and including the PS2 era.

Much appreciated mate :)

So, NTSC vers. > PAL one , thing is, as Disc mentioned already, it's a darn hassle if you want to play NTSC content on your PAL console.

Neither of the 2 options sound that good anymore (in my opinion).

• CUR715 3 Jun 2009 14:30:39 362 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just bagged a $20 US PSN card off ebay for about 15.

Will be downloading the US version as soon as my code is emailed.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 15:01:32
    So will the US version work on a UK PSP? I don't really want to play final fantasy VII again on a big HDTV as Im sure it will ruin how I remember it, but on the small screen of the psp it should still look ok :)
  • Widge Moderator 3 Jun 2009 15:06:26 13,614 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As mentioned, its a big pain in the arse setting regions on your PSP if you have a mix of US and UK content

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• dominalien 3 Jun 2009 15:11:00 6,882 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In order to log in to the PSStore from the PSP you have to register the user. You can only have one user registered on the PSP at a time, so yes, you have to delete the one you have and create another one (using an existing account, of course). It is a hassle.

Once you download a game, you can play games from the US and EU stores without further action one after another. I recently bought SH from my local store and then last week got RE from the US store and the PSP complained that it was activated in one store and now downloading from another will erase the activation, so I was certain that I would not be able to play SH anymore without jumping through hoops. But no, both games work OK.

As for glitches in PS1 games - some time ago I saw SH converted from a PS1 disc running on a PSP and the only glitch was that during loading, there's an animation of Harry running and the frames are not getting erased properly. After buying SH from the PSStore, I get the exact same glitch on my PSP. On the PS3 the loading animation is fine. Seems the PS1 emulation is better on the PS3 than on the PSP.

For full disclosure, I am running custom firmware.

PSN: DonOsito

• dominalien 3 Jun 2009 15:18:28 6,882 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

To get a game that was made for an NTSC system (FFVII was made in Japan, it's NTSC there too)

You have the refresh rates right, but the number of lines wrong. In general, the thing with PAL/NTSC is that NTSC has more fps, but less lines and PAL has less fps, but more lines. The key thing is that the BANDWIDTH is the same. Also, the Japanese NTSC is actually slightly different to the US one (black level is the same as in PAL).

Most significantly, PS1 games rarely if ever ran at full-TV resolutions.

I have an actual PS1 PAL FFVII and trust me, it runs fine. The 3D is not fully smooth, of course, but that's standard PS1 for you.

PSN: DonOsito

• Widge Moderator 3 Jun 2009 15:25:01 13,614 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    In order to log in to the PSStore from the PSP you have to register the user. You can only have one user registered on the PSP at a time, so yes, you have to delete the one you have and create another one (using an existing account, of course). It is a hassle.

Once you download a game, you can play games from the US and EU stores without further action one after another. I recently bought SH from my local store and then last week got RE from the US store and the PSP complained that it was activated in one store and now downloading from another will erase the activation, so I was certain that I would not be able to play SH anymore without jumping through hoops. But no, both games work OK.

As for glitches in PS1 games - some time ago I saw SH converted from a PS1 disc running on a PSP and the only glitch was that during loading, there's an animation of Harry running and the frames are not getting erased properly. After buying SH from the PSStore, I get the exact same glitch on my PSP. On the PS3 the loading animation is fine. Seems the PS1 emulation is better on the PS3 than on the PSP.

For full disclosure, I am running custom firmware.

I'm on CFW too.

So if I DL the game from the US store on the PS3. Once its on, all is ok? Same for PS3 too?

I wonder how purchasing from the Media Store on PC is.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Page

of 32 First / Last

Previous