Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Page 22

• Page

of 22 First / Last

Next
  • CosmicFuzz 19 Jan 2014 01:47:13 24,360 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh sorry, you mean the story is sad times... Yes I agree!

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• TheMayorOfJugs 19 Jan 2014 02:40:57 3,538 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @CosmicFuzz \o/

Now buy p4 arena in the psn sale for more story :-D
  • Shikasama 19 Jan 2014 03:04:27 6,837 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Oh sorry, you mean the story is sad times... Yes I agree!
    Even then, 'you just block all of his attacks' is like, the most useless comment ever!

It's far, far too late to be fighting that final boss now. Fuck him.
  • Shikasama 19 Jan 2014 20:43:19 6,837 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Final boss is a complete fucking joke.
  • Tuffty 19 Jan 2014 22:21:57 1,590 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved the final boss. The sheer ridiculousness of it combined with the music, the instant quotes that come out of his mouth. Stick with it, because when you do get to that sequence where you land the final strikes, it is so satisfying. I was up on my feet applauding.

Come back when you try fighting him on Revengeance mode where one hit can kill you. Now that's crazy.
  • MadCaddy13 21 Jan 2014 23:49:21 1,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Started this over the weekend and I'm on level 4 I think. It's one of those games where you want to smash the controller to bits. But once you've gotten used to it, it's bloody awesome.

Why is George voiced so irritatingly badly? He sounds like he's 30 odd years old and he's supposed to be 11yrs old

it's mad though - you've just come out of a huge boss fight at the end of the level and you barely scraped it, then on the next level, almost straight after your fighting two of the bastards!
  • drhickman1983 22 Jan 2014 03:21:16 327 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Picked this up recently after getting rid of some old games.

I'll be honest, I just couldn't get into it on normal, so re-started on easy and just had a lot of fun instead. Starting to think I don't have much patience with games these days, oh well.

The only thing that really bugged me was the camera, it's one of the most annoying cameras I've encountered for a long time. Took me a while to learn how to make it behave acceptably. Not that I've gotten that more under control, and have a better feel for the combat, will probably play again on normal.
  • MadCaddy13 22 Jan 2014 21:43:18 1,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Monsoon is the hard st enemy in the entire game.
    old quote but I absolutely loved the monsoon fight!
  • drhickman1983 24 Jan 2014 12:18:26 327 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finished it on easy, playing on normal now. Not really having that much difficulty now, but I really did need to learn the basics in easy.

I think Rising's "normal" difficulty is tuned harder than most other games "normal" these days. It's less forgiving. You could debate whether or not games in general are too easy, which would be a valid point, but either way it is an anomaly in terms of difficulty.

It's very cool game though. Yes, it's short (especially on easy), but I'm left wanting to play more. And whilst it's over the top and ridiculous, I think the themes of free-will are actually explored in a surprisingly deep way, given the context.

And best use of music I've heard in a game for a long time, very effective use of music stems and mixing.
  • Physically_Insane 24 Jan 2014 12:52:23 8,864 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought the music hits during a boss fight were hilarious. They were meant to be hilarious right?
  • drhickman1983 24 Jan 2014 13:21:39 327 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, they did make me laugh, because it was so over the top. Which I think was the intention, the game (or rather the developers) seem to be self aware of how ridiculous it all is.

So I thought it was hilarious, because it was so awesome.

I like power metal for the same reason, it so over the top it becomes hilarious and cool at the same time. I guess people who don't have that taste might find it hilarious because it's bad. But I think they're wrong :)

Edited by drhickman1983 at 13:24:47 24-01-2014
  • RelaxedMikki 9 Feb 2014 10:57:35 929 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Picked this up yesterday. Loving it. Just my sort of game.

Buttery smooth man on mech carnage with a side-order of slightly bonkers anti-war philosophising.

Superb. I even like the parry - Id always figured attack was the best form of defence...
  • StixxUK 17 Feb 2014 15:26:40 7,255 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tough game to get to grips with initially... I've only just started playing and I'm really getting my ass kicked by the moo-ing robots. One was pretty tough, now I have to fight 2.
  • Deckard1 17 Feb 2014 15:29:03 27,989 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Learn to parry
  • StixxUK 18 Feb 2014 15:52:15 7,255 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Combination of learning to parry and Zandatsu made it a lot easier.

Kind of changed the flow as well though, I thought it would be closer to Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden but really it's more... I dunno it's just slower and more about setting up and chaining Zandatsu's...
  • RightBean 12 Jun 2014 04:23:04 648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's button bashing nonsense, I don't feel like I am in control
  • nickthegun 12 Jun 2014 08:12:38 59,937 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Then ur doin it rong

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deathracelord 19 Jun 2014 14:56:52 1 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Is the dlc still not free on Australian/eu psn?

Edited by Deathracelord at 14:57:31 19-06-2014
  • DUFFKING 28 Jun 2014 01:16:02 7,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, 3 missions into this. Pretty good fun, but don't feel like it's up to Bayonetta's standards yet to be honest. The combat feels great most of the time though.

That said, I just did the fight with that Monsoon guy and I was honestly just bored. It'd be nice if you could actually fight him rather than just switch between parrying him and blade mode for 10 minutes at a time before you're allowed to hit him again.

Might have to retry on hard once I'm done with it as it all feels a bit easy.

And I don't get how the end of level grade is determined. I got mostly A ranks for the fights, couple of Bs and nothing lower but somehow got rank C for the chapter...

Edited by DUFFKING at 01:17:38 28-06-2014
  • nickthegun 28 Jun 2014 09:14:31 59,937 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It weights time and damage taken, among a few other things, quite heavily, so even if you batter everyone, if you take a while doing it and take a few hits, it savages your overall rank.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• DUFFKING 29 Jun 2014 18:53:21 7,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished this today. Very enjoyable, far too short. Took a little over four hours, though to be fair I didn't listen to much of the codecs.

I was a bit confused at times with some of the bosses. Sam in particular, had some flurries of moves which seemed difficult to parry all of - the first 2-3 hits, fine, but there didn't seem to be enough time between hits to do another parry?

Also the final boss, he had a yellow flash move where he seems to dash at you. A few times I did defensive offense to get out of the way, and he missed and went off screen, then popped back anyway and got me. It seemed like the attack was very difficult to avoid.
  • Ror1984 29 Jun 2014 19:04:06 3,371 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DUFFKING I just fought Sam last night and thought the same thing. Some times I parried him fine, then other times he just sliced right through. Took me a good few attempts. It got ridiculously easy in the second half of the fight though, as he kept charging me then standing still after a parry.

I'm up to what I assume is the final phase of the final boss, so I'll give that a bash later.

My biggest annoyance has been the camera - especially when a target dashes off-camera, then dashes back at you without you knowing it's coming.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• DUFFKING 29 Jun 2014 20:20:04 7,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The camera was the worst bit, for my money. The parrying is entirely dependent on enemy direction with respect to the camera's viewpoint, so if the camera spazzes out at the wrong time, then goodbye parry...

I thought the game was fairly straightforward difficulty wise though, don't recall any particularly tough regular encounters, got killed once or twice by the final boss whilst I was trying to work out what to do and that was about it.
  • Ror1984 29 Jun 2014 20:35:22 3,371 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I did have a few deaths during regular encounters, but it was always down to the camera screwing me up when there were a handful of enemies about, leading to me getting bounced around like a pinball - especially as the samurai-type enemies have a habit of stunning you.

The bosses have been ok for me so far, though I had a few problems with Monsoon until I learned his patterns.

I'm pretty sure I've downloaded both DLC packs, which I intend to play after I finish the main game, but I can't seem to find them in the game menu (360). Am I just being blind..?

• DUFFKING 29 Jun 2014 23:21:05 7,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't buy the DLC as I heard it was rubbish :p

Once I got the hang of Zandatsu most of the encounters were routine - deal with the weak enemies as quickly as possible by getting a few hits in then zandatsu, then take out the big threats after. I thought the pole arm was an excellent backup weapon as it let me take out crowds very quickly.
  • Ror1984 29 Jun 2014 23:29:49 3,371 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got the DLC for free, thankfully ;)

Zandatsu has to be one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in an action game. I actually enjoy fighting against standard enemies more than most of the bosses, because you can just tear the shit out of them and then yank out their delicious spines. I thought the Ray and Mistral battles were excellent though.

There were rumours of a sequel the other day because Kojima took a trip to Osaka to meet Kamiya and Minami. I am now imagining a PC/new-gen-only MGR 2...

• FuzzyDuck 30 Jun 2014 02:57:46 4,136 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ror1984 wrote:
    There were rumours of a sequel the other day because Kojima took a trip to Osaka to meet Kamiya and Minami. I am now imagining a PC/new-gen-only MGR 2...
    /suffers hot flush at the thought

I do remember EG posting a poll a few months back that Konami had set up asking what would people expect from a sequel to this and what you enjoyed about the game that it appealed to you in the first place.

I weighted my answers towards OTT action, less cut scenes, less stealth and that I wouldn't touch it without Platinum being involved, but would Day 1 it if they are :)
  • Ror1984 30 Jun 2014 17:08:43 3,371 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And done! I actually had a quick go last night, but couldn't figure out how to get the bastard out of regen. Also, I only realised last night that there's a lock-on :redface: Completely useless when facing multiple enemies of course, but it certainly made the final boss more manageable, and I never missed a defensive offense dodge on that charge attack DUFFKING mentioned as a result.

Fantastic game, if a little short - the second half in particular feels quite rushed - but I know I'll play it again and now I really want a sequel.

I also only just realised that I have DLC codes for Grey Fox and White Raiden body types! I'll give those a run out when I replay it. I almost started a new game as soon as I got back to the title screen, but I have other things to play. And I still can't find the DLC anywhere, even though I have definitely downloaded it.

FuzzyDuck - now that you mention it, I remember that. I didn't respond to it at the time as I hadn't played the game at that point.

• Page

of 22 First / Last

Next