BRINK

• Page

of 68 First / Last

Previous
  • filinge 1 Jun 2009 06:10:26 3 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone seen this? There is an awesome trailer (download here). No gameplay yet, but I guess we will see more at E3.

I'm very excited about this title.
  • Deleted user 1 June 2009 10:52:23
    It's going to be good, I think.
  • glaeken 1 Jun 2009 10:54:38 11,108 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't even have any idea what sort of game it might turn out to be so on that level the trailer is a failure. I cannot get excited in anticipation for something if I have no idea what it actually is.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2009 12:26:34
    Some info on GamerNode:

http://www.gamernode.com/previews/8023-brink/index.html

This sounds pretty cool:

'Kinesthetic flow is the final concept that shapes Brink's gameplay. Dubbed smooth movement across random terrain, or S.M.A.R.T., players will be able to navigate their surroundings with nearly the same agility and grace of Mirror's Edge's parkour-practitioner, Faith, but with much less complex controller manipulation.

'By simply holding a button and focusing in the general direction they want to go, players will quickly jump, slide, vault, mantle, etc. over, under, around, or through environmental obstacles. Unlike Mirror's Edge, however, Brink doesn't neglect shooting mechanics in favor of platforming, and the experience seems to completely cohesive despite the variety of gameplay options.'

edit; also, for those that don't know, it's a squad-based fps!
  • filinge 15 Aug 2009 05:46:14 3 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    disc wrote:
    Yeah the trailer was shit. Didn't show any gameplay.

Did you get to QuakeCon, it was shown there for the first time.

Some new impression articles: http://kotaku.com/5337759/brink-impressions-it-all-makes-sense-now

And screenshots: http://inbrink.com/index.php?option=com_incgallery&Itemid=6
  • Deleted user 15 August 2009 10:04:39
    I highly doubt anyone here "got to Quakecon".
  • monkehhh 30 Nov 2009 21:58:48 3,278 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://g4tv.com/videos/43012/Exclusive-Brink-Playing-Smart-Freedom-of-Movement-Preview/?quality=hd - seems they've injected a little Mirror's Edge style movement into Brink :)
  • Lovemoose 30 Nov 2009 22:22:51 999 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's also shifted from spring next year to autumn. So....

A) It's shit and it needs a thorough turd-polishing.*
    B) It's awesome and they're putting it up against the pre-christmas big boys.*

*delete as applicable.

twitter: @chockey

• M83J01P97 30 Nov 2009 22:33:08 6,553 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can see that Smart system either working beautifully or being a complete mess that makes the game more of a hassle then it needs to be.
  • Hunam 30 Nov 2009 22:37:38 20,674 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It is the sprint button yes. Read last months EDGE if you can, has a fuck ton about the game.
  • Derblington 30 Nov 2009 22:47:50 21,346 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It can also lead to a bit of a mess though.

For example: If you're on a middle platform and infront of you above is a platform with an enemy shooting at you, and infront of you below is a drop to a lower platform... How would you sprint to drop to the lower platform while shooting the guy above you? If your aim is upwards while sprinting it will make you vault up.

I'm not saying it won't work, and it's clearly a smart system and potentially the next step in the advancement for a freeform movement system in an fps, but it needs to not effect the gunplay in anyway for it to be successful.

Edit: It also doesn't have the weight of ME's character movement/animations, which are quite a big seller in how the system is believable. Still, I have a few ideas of my own for how to make that fit into a regular fps.

I like the way it's going though, and I really like the character style.
  • M83J01P97 30 Nov 2009 22:50:40 6,553 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    It can also lead to a bit of a mess though.

For example: If you're on a middle platform and infront of you above is a platform with an enemy shooting at you, and infront of you below is a drop to a lower platform... How would you sprint to drop to the lower platform while shooting the guy above you? If your aim is upwards while sprinting it will make you vault up.

I'm not saying it won't work, and it's clearly a smart system and potentially the next step in the advancement for a freeform movement system in an fps, but it needs to not effect the gunplay in anyway for it to be successful.

Yeah this is kind of what I was thinking.

What if you want to shoot in one direction, but don't want to vault around in that direction, but still need to sprint in order to avoid fire?

I does sound great, and in fairness, no one can really comment until we have played the final game... I can just see it being a neat idea that doesn't work out as well as it sounds on paper.

But early days yet...
  • JediMasterMalik 30 Nov 2009 23:36:45 11,826 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved quake wars, and this looks miles better. Can't wait for it to come out, hoppefully it will have a good player population too.
  • Deleted user 1 December 2009 08:34:19
    This looks more interesting than I figured it would. It's got that Mirrors Edge feel, something I crave since last playing that little beaut of a game.
  • frugtkompot 1 Dec 2009 16:24:38 2,819 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Definitely. I was surprised by that video too - it looked smooth and intuitive. Furthermore, it's nice to see an FPS that isn't afraid of bringing new ideas to the table.
  • Vortex808 13 Mar 2010 14:59:28 6,979 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That new vid on EG from yesterday looks rather fun. My interest for this is definitely building. Not that you can tell too much about the gameplay from it, but it's almost got that TF2 'meet the sniper ' etc video vibe for me. And if it can some close to being as much fun online as TF2, then i'm sold!
  • macksed 24 Mar 2010 08:07:43 3,798 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    this game has me intrigued, the adverts all over EG when it's not out until much later in the year has me annoyed though, don't make me kind of want something I can in no way have! Maybe it's because it was originally scheduled for a March release and they'd already bought the ads?
  • GWD1983 4 Apr 2010 09:32:35 78 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gameplay looks very impressive on the link below, so does the game engine. It's a shame they're advertising it so far from launch but then again, the same was done for Batman wasn't it? That turned out to be worth the wait. Why promote a game so early if you're not very confident?

http://www.brinkthegame.com/
  • matt6666 18 Jun 2010 14:04:18 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bump..

Getting close.. Looks alright..
  • frugtkompot 18 Jun 2010 14:05:08 2,819 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Getting closed? It's been delayed until Spring 2011.
  • matt6666 18 Jun 2010 14:05:36 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah.. Cheers.

Just saw 29th Oct on Amazon, was the first I'd seen of the game, and the consequent previews had me intrigued.
  • Deleted user 17 August 2010 10:45:15
    Reading the preview on the front page, the game sounds interesting at least. In terms of MP, it will be going up against Black Ops, MoH and Reach.........which could be an issue.
  • S.J.Rogers 17 Aug 2010 10:46:34 3,557 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really like the look of this.

I will just need to find some good online friends to team up with.
  • Whizzo 17 Aug 2010 10:47:59 43,038 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really enjoyed the presentation at last year's EG Expo and I'm certainly looking forward to its release, it's bugger all like any other FPS coming out any time soon.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Vortex808 17 Aug 2010 12:58:52 6,979 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Definitely getting this on day one. Looks and sounds like it'll be right up my street. Multiplayer with teamwork required should lead to some really good games with the right folk.

The artwork style looks great, and i quite liked the SMART system in the few gameplay vids i've seen on here. Hopefully it works as intuitively on release.

/grins like a cheshire cat at the thought of this.
  • Machetazo 15 Nov 2010 21:05:43 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm really looking forward to this game a lot. I really like the clean, characterful look, and smoothness of it, as well as appreciate the thought that's gone in to the design.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • Vortex808 4 Jan 2011 17:51:41 6,979 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Has there ever been an update on a release date for this yet? I searched the news and can't find anything. A few retail websites seem to suggest 25 march, but I can't find anything for sure.

I only ask because I saw a link to the bethesda-blog on Xbox.com detailing the pre-order bonuses for various retailers, but that was all US only. There are Doom-inspired , Fallout-inspired, a psycho loadout for the resistance and a spec-ops one for the security side. The Doom one interests me most, as I am still an adherent of that, albeit the spec-ops one could be fun too.

In case anyone's interested Brink pre-order stuff
  • Page

of 68 First / Last

Previous