FAO people who work from home: get a bird feeder! Page 3

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• RedboX 19 Jun 2009 14:56:46 2,431 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    yeah, if your getting squirrels you need to get a bird table for the birds and a squirrel feeder for the hairy little buggers.

I used to get at least 4 different ones come into my garden, they seemd to play nicely with each other, and once the squirrel feeder was up they ignored the bird food. and infact there was a symbotic relationship on the go as some birds whould follow the squirrels around picking up the bits of nut they dropped.
  • Psychotext 19 Jun 2009 14:57:41 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think there's one bat near me, not really got a chance to get a good look at it though.

A huge flock of starlings just flew over. Probably on their way to decimate someone's fat ball feeder (they do love those fat balls).
  • CannonAnBall 19 Jun 2009 14:57:53 751 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We've got a wood pigeon that is destroying the food put out for the birds. It's basically eating anything and everything!
  • Psychotext 19 Jun 2009 14:59:25 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They get really fat too. Greedy bastards.

Watch if another bird tries to eat at the same time. The pigeon will flat out peck the other bird in the head. I'm surprised the ones here haven't killed the poor little sparrows yet.
  • bigshot316 19 Jun 2009 14:59:28 23,809 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The squirrel just takes the piss.

It eats all the food and destroys all the feeders, little shit.
  • agparrot 19 Jun 2009 15:03:13 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I'm not actually sure all the sparrows are actually sparrows though... some look very different to the others.

Have you considered the possibility that they might be dunnocks?

We have a pair of dunnocks that appear recently to have become a family of three.

Our starling population isn't quite as prolific as yours - we have only a dozen birds, 8 of which appear to be juveniles.

We would have had more, but just a couple of weeks ago I was listening to them all clamouring on and watching them rip apart ANOTHER peanutty-fat-block thing when a female Sparrowhawk came angling in over the fence and killed one of the juvies pretty much outright. The others, needless to say, made a sharp exit, but the Sparrowhawk sat there and stared at me through the window while it waited for its prey to die, deposited a giant sparrhawk shit, then took off and flew away with it, presumably to its own young.

Better than letting the cats get them, and at least the new family of blue tits, the great tits, the robins, the dunnocks, the sparrows and the blackbirds and pigeons all escaped unscathed.

To add to the sentiment about getting a bird feeder, we have also recently added a bird bath to the garden, and that is also highly amusing when the birds are using it... although with starlings you'll probably need to replace the water in it every day to avoid all the birds that drink from it effectively supping on a starlingshit soup.
  • Psychotext 19 Jun 2009 15:14:52 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    Have you considered the possibility that they might be dunnocks?

We have a pair of dunnocks that appear recently to have become a family of three.
    Yeah, they could be. I'd take a photo but I only have a camera on my phone at the mo and the quality goes to shit if I zoom in. Oh, I also have about 3 bluetits. Don't see them as much as the others though.

On a more general note. I did a lot of searching around for the best prices on feed and came up with these:

200 fat balls - 31.95 - http://www.haiths.com/product-Small-Fat-Balls-WBFATBALSM/

20kg no mess bird seed - 18.99 - http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/products/gardman-no-mess-seed-mix-20kg-44lb-

20kg seed supreme - 14.99 - http://www.poplartreegardencentre.co.uk/wildlife-and-birds/gardman/gardman-garden-birds-seed-supreme-20kg-44lb/

(May be delivery charges involved, but they were all the cheapest, and by far in the case of the seed)
  • JetSetWilly 19 Jun 2009 15:18:09 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice links, cheers PT!
  • Aranel 19 Jun 2009 15:28:42 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I love cats but hate the way they kill for kicks. We've got bugger all chance of getting any more birds in now there are three cats roaming the neighbourhood. Plus side is that it should keep the vermin levels down I guess, but pisser about the birds :(

Birds can be quite brave though. The birds in my garden will eat from my feeder and the seeds that have fallen to the ground, even when my cat is sitting less than 3 foot away from them, watching. As long as you stick the feeder in a tree so they can feel 'safe', cats aren't normally a huge problem.

Agree with PT on buying from Haiths. Currently use them for getting my bird feed - superb customer service, some of the cheapest prices around and really good quality birdseed. [They also do the UV stickers for windows to prevent birdstrikes http://www.haiths.com/category-category-birdstrikes/ ]

Edited: cos I stuffed the link up :(
  • Psychotext 19 Jun 2009 15:30:40 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shit... I only just put in an order with them. I wish I knew they had the stickers.

I searched too. :(

Edit... your link doesn't work.

This one should
  • Xerx3s 19 Jun 2009 15:32:14 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    How's the thesis coming along?
    Badly.

:D
  • Psychotext 19 Jun 2009 15:37:55 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got to record one of the epic battles between starlings trying to get on a fat feeder one day. They're insane.

Talking of which, that's another 8 fat balls gone. I only filled it yesterday. :(

/calculates

:o That's 1.25 a day!
  • pjmaybe 19 Jun 2009 15:38:57 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fucking hell you might as well just cover your wallet in lard and put a string through it and hang it out there :)
  • Psychotext 19 Jun 2009 15:42:17 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is what I'm up against (sorry for shit quality, mobile phone): http://i41.tinypic.com/2gvm3d0.jpg
  • JetSetWilly 19 Jun 2009 15:49:17 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had to stop putting fat balls out because we can't keep pace with the starlings.
  • agparrot 19 Jun 2009 16:03:32 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just heard a great kerfuffle of wings, looked out the window, and there appears to be one pigeon trying to jump on top of another... at first I thought it was fighting, but I suspect we may be expecting the patter of even more, really little feet.
  • Psychotext 19 Jun 2009 18:40:46 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The ones here were doing that on the back wall. Dirty bastards.
  • Psychotext 22 Jun 2009 09:38:39 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just had the baby magpie turn up with its parents. :)

Loud fucker... and not exactly small either. Stupid though, it was pecking at pretty much everything trying to eat it. \o/
  • JetSetWilly 22 Jun 2009 09:44:22 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, I've never seen a baby magpie. Were its markings any different to the parents? Been quite quiet here this morning, only a House Sparrow flitting about with its fledglings. Although it does sound like yet another pigeon fight is brewing in the back garden.
  • Psychotext 22 Jun 2009 09:47:08 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pretty much identical as far as I could tell. Looked a bit smaller in height and quite a lot thinner than the other two. Infinitely more hoppy and squawky though. :D
  • Psychotext 22 Jun 2009 09:57:07 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here's a quick pic I snapped. I suppose "adolescent" might be a better word than baby: http://i39.tinypic.com/2hnu8g6.jpg

It's quite a large file, because as mentioned before, my mobile camera is shit so I think it's better to leave any zooming to software packages. Look at the end of the fence near the wall.
  • JetSetWilly 22 Jun 2009 10:00:41 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cool! I also like the collared dove on the lawn who rumbled you just as you took the pic :D
  • Aranel 22 Jun 2009 10:49:19 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My parents have bright green parrots feeding from their bird feeder.
  • Psychotext 22 Jun 2009 10:53:38 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Impressive.
  • agparrot 22 Jun 2009 12:18:32 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aranel wrote:

Yes, aren't there a load of parakeets living in the wild now? I'm sure I've seen them mentioned on telly as living in parks and woodlands in various areas of the country now.

Our local garden centre has run out of the bargain-price suet block multipacks, so I have bought some of those coconut shells filled with the stuff, so I can hopefully refill them with a homemade cocktail of lard, seeds and other tasty treats, to save a bit of money.
  • Lukus 22 Jun 2009 12:22:50 19,114 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought my dad a bird feeder for Fathers Day, put it in the garden and waited. One of the first birds to use it was an extremely fat baby Cuckoo. Seems wrong somehow.

Paintings & Photographs

• Psychotext 22 Jun 2009 12:26:47 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm... there seems to be a new bird which looks like a mix between a Wood Pigeon and a Collared Dove. Someone's been being naughty...

If it comes into the garden I'll try and get a pic, but it seems scared of the other birds. Talking of which, I've noticed that the other birds hate the Magpies. They're really wary of them.
  • Lukus 22 Jun 2009 12:33:17 19,114 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's because Magpies are the chavs of the bird world. Always in groups, laughing at the other birds, pecking the cat. I like them though.

I saw an albino Black Bird the other week. It took a while to register what the heck it was, it was incredibly freaky.

Paintings & Photographs

• Psychotext 22 Jun 2009 12:39:01 54,223 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    I saw an albino Black Bird the other week. It took a while to register what the heck it was, it was incredibly freaky.
    Wow: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7385714.stm
  • JetSetWilly 22 Jun 2009 12:42:50 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    Aranel wrote:
    Our local garden centre has run out of the bargain-price suet block multipacks, so I have bought some of those coconut shells filled with the stuff, so I can hopefully refill them with a homemade cocktail of lard, seeds and other tasty treats, to save a bit of money.

I tried the same but the birds just didn't take to the homebrew version. If you hit on a recipe that goes down well be sure to post it on here!
  • Page

of 7 First / Last