FAO people who work from home: get a bird feeder! Page 5

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• modo_komodo 6 Nov 2009 15:48:03 1,194 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love on the second floor of some flats on top of a hill. Will birds think to go up for food rather than down?
  • Psychotext 6 Nov 2009 15:58:30 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Birds will go anywhere once they realise there's food. Just takes time.
  • JetSetWilly 6 Nov 2009 16:03:03 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    modo_komodo wrote:
    I love on the second floor of some flats on top of a hill. Will birds think to go up for food rather than down?

Careful they don't peck your nuts whilst you're at it! ;-)
  • Psychotext 8 Nov 2009 21:22:55 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fatso Robin FTW!

http://i37.tinypic.com/w1ec7n.jpg
  • askew 8 Nov 2009 21:26:57 12,060 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He is rather a chubby fucker. Much more and he'll burst! I saw the first one of winter in our garden this morning: about half that size!
  • Psychotext 8 Nov 2009 21:30:47 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He started off fairly small, but he just wont stop eating the hedgehog food. :D

If there's none in the tray he actually sits on the fence shouting.
  • Psychotext 10 Nov 2009 12:34:23 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lol... that Robin is great. He's out there at the moment and he takes a few pecks at the food, tweets a little tune and then takes a few more pecks (and so on).

It's no wonder he's so fat if eating makes him happy enough to sing after every few bites.

\o/
  • Deleted user 10 November 2009 12:35:17
    The look on his face is amazing.
  • Psychotext 13 Nov 2009 16:01:26 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow... the bird seed in one of my feeders has grown and now it looks like a circle of cress. :D
  • agparrot 13 Nov 2009 16:03:54 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Wow... the bird seed in one of my feeders has grown and now it looks like a circle of cress. :D

I had placed a couple of plant pots underneath one of the seed feeders, and earlier in the year all kinds of things were sprouting out of the seeds the birds had thrown away.

This morning, there were 6 bluetits in the garden - my cat-deflecting trellis appears to be doing the trick so far.
  • JetSetWilly 13 Nov 2009 16:19:07 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey agparrot, you never posted your recipe for homebrew suet cakes. Did they not go down so well?
  • agparrot 14 Nov 2009 11:00:12 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JetSetWilly wrote:
    Hey agparrot, you never posted your recipe for homebrew suet cakes. Did they not go down so well?

I never got round to making them - my kitchen windowsill still features an empty coconut shell, some seed, some other seed, and there is still a block of lard in the fridge.

I'll attempt to have a go at making them this weekend!
  • Psychotext 11 Dec 2009 14:22:26 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a starling outside in the bird bath... and it's been splashing around for about the last 5 minutes. I can't even begin to imagine how cold the water must be, but it seems to be enjoying it.
  • bauhaus 11 Dec 2009 14:53:03 3,511 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    my cat-deflecting trellis appears to be doing the trick so far.

Eh?!?

Whats this??

Need more info on Cat Deflecting Trellis.

I dont have a garden as such, just 80feet of catty litter. /o\
  • Benno 13 Dec 2009 15:25:56 9,804 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i need to get in this bird feeding game, looks like i am missing out on some quality entertainment
  • Psychotext 7 Jan 2010 13:28:51 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got some top notch pictures of the birds in the snow. What I don't get is why they prefer to dig around in it, even though I've put out trays of seed.
  • agparrot 7 Jan 2010 18:10:58 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Got some top notch pictures of the birds in the snow. What I don't get is why they prefer to dig around in it, even though I've put out trays of seed.

Perhaps they like their food chilled?

I have had Dunnocks, Blackbirds, bluetits and pigeons aplenty since the snow set in - loads of food scattered under the hedges, hung in the trees and the bird bath smashed of ice and refilled with water every morning.

The blackbird comes and stares at me through the window in the morning until I go out and make the bath usable.
  • Psychotext 7 Jan 2010 18:13:01 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I must admit that I haven't been doing that.
  • agparrot 7 Jan 2010 18:16:41 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    None of them are bathing in it, but they are all using it for drinking water - I don't think they've figured out they can just suck the snow, but I guess maybe they are inadvertently getting water by digging around for your seeds.

edit:

... and I just pour boiling water in to smash up the ice, by the time you've checked if it is too hot, it is already cold.
  • JuanKerr 7 Jan 2010 19:15:23 36,209 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been putting loads of food out for the birds during this weather, they get through it in no time. Gonna go to a local farm shop and buy a whacking great 20kg sack of seed this weekend :)
  • localnotail 7 Jan 2010 23:12:14 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Larger birds like Blackbirds in particular usually prefer to eat from the ground, it's where their natural food normally is. Finches and smaller birds are happier with stuff up off the ground in trees for the same reason.

If you can get your bird bath off the ground on bricks, it may not freeze as much. Also if you can get a black one, they warm up faster in the sun. You can also put a ping pong ball in, which floats on the surface and moves about a bit, making it harder for ice to form.

JuanKerr wrote:
    I've been putting loads of food out for the birds during this weather, they get through it in no time. Gonna go to a local farm shop and buy a whacking great 20kg sack of seed this weekend :)

Good stuff. If there is any chance whatsoever that there are mice in your yard, then you might want to think about transferring this seed into tins or pots - otherwise you may well go to wherever you have it stored one day and find that the bottom has been taken out of it, making it really hard to move. This has just happened to my Mum, who has hers stored in a thick polythene sack in my Grandad's garage.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• phAge 7 Jan 2010 23:20:13 24,337 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just converted my Wii-box into a bird feeder: 2 kgs of sunflower seeds and 5 apples cut in halves should keep the flying buggers happy 'till the snow melts (and if not I've got 2 kgs and 10 apples more...). Can't wait to see what I'll attract. :)
  • Psychotext 31 May 2010 15:13:59 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Something like a year after I put a niger feed seeder in my garden I have today seen my first set of goldfinches eating from it. Based on the noises they were making, they seemed well happy too.

:D
  • psychokitten Moderator 31 May 2010 15:15:45 7,794 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I completely misread the first sentence of your post :/
  • Errol 31 May 2010 15:16:03 12,457 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    two male blackbirds attempting to rape a female member of the species.

Pics?
  • Psychotext 31 May 2010 15:58:58 53,855 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:
    I completely misread the first sentence of your post :/
    Tut tut tut.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • Dougs 4 Jan 2011 13:47:10 66,765 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fussy fuckers the birds round here. Won't take the Best of Both scraps I've thrown out but lap up the Farmhouse Granary.
  • JuanKerr 25 Mar 2011 16:54:02 36,209 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bump!

Recently moved house and I have to say I really enjoy seeing what different birds we get here.

We've got a couple of pheasants who come every day for a good old feed, and thanks to the nearby rookery, we get quite a few of the noisy buggers every day or two. I looked out the window the other day and the front garden looked like a scene from a Hitchcock film - a sea of about a dozen rooks and some jackdaws thrown in for good measure :D

Also got a really cute wren, a couple of goldfinches who pop in every so often and some long-tailed tits.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last