FAO people who work from home: get a bird feeder!

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • phAge 26 May 2009 11:15:12 24,344 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As I'm currently spending most of my time at home in front of the computer (working on my thesis), I decided to put up a bird feeder outside my window. It's AWESOME.

Loads of different birds come and go (...), and they act really weird when they think no-one's looking. Today I've seen two pigeons snogging, a pair of sparrows fighting fiercly over the 'feeder, and what appeared to be two male blackbirds attempting to rape a female member of the species.

Also, when they're not fighting or raping, birds really are very cute. My birdfeeder is just a really cheap single-use jar of corn with a perch attached, but it's great fun to watch.
  • mrpon 26 May 2009 11:17:57 28,692 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How's the thesis coming along?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 26 May 2009 11:18:03
    phAge wrote:
    two male blackbirds attempting to rape a female member of the species

great fun to watch.

sick fuck
  • phAge 26 May 2009 11:18:40 24,344 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    How's the thesis coming along?
    Badly.
  • FairgroundTown 26 May 2009 11:19:21 2,522 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My grandmother (90 and counting) would agree with you - she just moved into a "home" and we went on Saturday to set up a bird feeder outside her window, where she sits all day, because it was the one thing she really missed from her "real" home which she has had to leave behind.
  • JetSetWilly 26 May 2009 11:20:42 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I second this emotion. Every day I see a pair of Great Tits outside my office window.

Sorry.
  • Azazel 26 May 2009 11:22:03 726 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You... get... Red... Kites?
  • Psychotext 26 May 2009 11:23:37 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have to agree... they can be endless entertainment. Though cleaning up / refilling stuff is a bit of a pain, and the seed is fairly expensive. If you're willing to spend a little money, I recommend this one: Gardman Deluxe Feeding Station. Can get all sorts of attachments and feeders for it.
  • gareth886 26 May 2009 11:26:26 2,841 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    As I'm currently spending most of my time at home in front of the computer (working on my thesis), I decided to put up a bird feeder outside my window. It's AWESOME.

Loads of different birds come and go (...), and they act really weird when they think no-one's looking. Today I've seen two pigeons snogging, a pair of sparrows fighting fiercly over the 'feeder, and what appeared to be two male blackbirds attempting to rape a female member of the species.

Also, when they're not fighting or raping, birds really are very cute. My birdfeeder is just a really cheap single-use jar of corn with a perch attached, but it's great fun to watch.

Were you the one that was pissed off a few months ago because you'd got a new bird feeder and there were no birds in sight?

Not sure if it was you though, it was some forumite. If it wasn't you could the forum member in question provide us with a bird feeder status update.
  • JetSetWilly 26 May 2009 11:28:12 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, that's a pretty impressive feeder. We get loads of birds in our garden. Got a blue tit nest about to fledge, a robins nest, a blackbird nest, and pigeons who seem to do nothing but fight.

My favourite visitor is the Bull Finch.
  • Psychotext 26 May 2009 11:28:22 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    gareth886 wrote:
    Were you the one that was pissed off a few months ago because you'd got a new bird feeder and there were no birds in sight?

Not sure if it was you though, it was some forumite. If it wasn't you could the forum member in question provide us with a bird feeder status update.
    That was me, and I did update the thread.

On a regular basis now I get 4 wood pigeons, 2 collared doves, 1 magpie, 1 carrion crow, 6 starlings (and now 4 starling babies), 8 sparrows, 2 blue tits, 1 coal tit, 1 robin, 1 baby (juvenile?) robin.

Also a seagull yesterday... though I'm not sure it came for the feeder. :p
  • Azazel 26 May 2009 11:29:38 726 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Azazel wrote:
    You... get... Red... Kites?

There's a pair in the woodland just over from us. I've seen golden eagles in the wild and these fuckers are bigger.

That's really cool. I've never seen a Red Kite before, I think there are a few pairs in Northern Ireland now but I've never got the chance to go and try to see them.

Having said that my parents house is out in the middle of nowhere and you occasionally might see a Hen Harrier out there - I've never seen one from the window of the house though!
  • JetSetWilly 26 May 2009 11:33:27 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have to watch them starlings, they'll eat bloody everything if you let 'em. I put a peanut cake out last week and they demolished it in under half a day. It was like locusts had been.
  • phAge 26 May 2009 11:38:08 24,344 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Christ but sparrows are messy, though - a conservative bet would be that they eat about 20% of what they drag out of the feeder...
  • Psychotext 26 May 2009 11:41:17 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Christ but sparrows are messy, though - a conservative bet would be that they eat about 20% of what they drag out of the feeder...
    I'm finding that if I don't refill the feeders / trays after they empty them, they'll move to the floor and snack on all the stuff they threw around.
  • phAge 26 May 2009 11:45:18 24,344 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hm. Might have to try that. Any way to stop them shitting on your windowsill?
  • Trane 26 May 2009 11:49:09 4,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    On a regular basis now I get 4 wood pigeons, 2 collared doves, 1 magpie, 1 carrion crow, 6 starlings (and now 4 starling babies), 8 sparrows, 2 blue tits, 1 coal tit, 1 robin, 1 baby (juvenile?) robin.

You forgot the 4 calling birds, 3 french hens, 2 turtle doves and a partridge......

.......in a pear tree no less.

• smoothpete 26 May 2009 11:50:54 31,450 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We get loads of red kites round my way
  • mrpon 26 May 2009 11:59:50 28,692 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Hm. Might have to try that. Any way to stop them shitting on your windowsill?
    Don't refill it? :p

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• urban 26 May 2009 12:09:00 10,938 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    METAL SPIKES

p.s last time i had a bird feeder i saw seagulls shagging.
  • jonsaan 26 May 2009 12:11:33 25,333 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    phAge wrote:
    two male blackbirds attempting to rape a female member of the species

great fun to watch.

RACIST sick fuck

FCUTA!

• angeltreats 26 May 2009 12:19:13 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We hung one outside our window, but no birds ever came to it. It was there for months so they had time to get used to it, they just weren't interested. We do have the water birds on the river, but they're not as interesting. Geese in particular are only good for making noise and little else.

At my parents' house back in Ireland, they get a massive variety of birds visiting the garden. They have a couple of feeders with different types of food to attract particular birds. When we're over visiting we always end up spending hours with our noses pressed up against the window watching them all.
  • rudedudejude 26 May 2009 12:20:09 2,160 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    These observations sound like the occurances of average British townsfolk on a Friday or Saturday night.
  • gareth886 26 May 2009 12:36:30 2,841 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    gareth886 wrote:

That was me, and I did update the thread.

/Is jealous. Gets 4 Ostriches to try and outdo you in the bird stakes.
  • Psychotext 29 May 2009 12:32:43 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    =/

Seems we have new wood pigeons in the garden (adolescents maybe?). I cleaned my windows yesterday and one of them keeps flying into my back door. Don't really know what to do, don't want it to hurt itself.
  • Salaman 29 May 2009 12:40:26 18,952 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kill it. It's more humain than letting it kill itselfby repeatedly flying into your house.
  • JetSetWilly 29 May 2009 12:44:15 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    =/

Seems we have new wood pigeons in the garden (adolescents maybe?). I cleaned my windows yesterday and one of them keeps flying into my back door. Don't really know what to do, don't want it to hurt itself.

Have you got anything you can use that breaks-up the reflection of the glass?

Also, moving a feeder nearer the door can help as it gives them something to aim at and when they fly-off they aren't going all that fast if they collide with the door.
  • Psychotext 29 May 2009 12:55:35 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JetSetWilly wrote:
    Have you got anything you can use that breaks-up the reflection of the glass?
    I have a curtain behind it for the moment... but it's kinda dark. :p

It's strange, he was still trying to fly in when I was right by the door. Normally they fly off when they see me.
  • phAge 29 May 2009 13:01:42 24,344 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    =/

I got that the other day. There's a low wall about 5 metres from my window that usually has a few pigeons on it. Last week I was sitting at my computer, when out of the corner I noticed one of the pigeons taking off, heading straight at my window. I kept expecting it to either slow down or change direction, but it did neither: instead it slammed into my window with a loud THUD. Seemed to be alright afterwards, though.
  • Salaman 29 May 2009 13:05:10 18,952 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A pigeon did that when I was last at our UK office.
    It went straight into a window at the top of the building and then fell down 10 feet into the little pond underneath where it floated either dead or unconscious.

I can't figure out how they failt to notice an entire building. Sure it has some glass on it but come on. It's a massive building!
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous