Metroid Prime Trilogy Page 14

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• matrim83 17 Jun 2010 22:06:03 5,587 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So I started the trilogy by playing MP first and well........

Is it normal to feel a little lost in the beginning (that planet you land on after the escape at the start)? I have very little idea where to go or how to get there so I mostly just wander around trying pretty much every place. Its not bad and I am really liking all the exploring the game lets me do but I do wish I had a better idea of whats going on.

One thing I do love are the new Wii controls. I played it for about half an hour on a friends GC back in the day and thought the controls were a total pain in the ass but the new controls are rather superb.

Valar morghulis.

• Raiko101 17 Jun 2010 22:41:46 6,181 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You're likely to get lost straight away. You just have to keep exploring, until an obvious route begins to open up. Once that happens, you'll have already started remembering other places or routes you can return to subconsciously.

I think thats what I like about this game most. You'll get lost and eventually find yourself fighting a boss and collecting a special item, from which you'll realise will help you explore other areas. I think that pretty much sums up the entire game, but it is such a rewarding experience.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Retroid Moderator 17 Jun 2010 22:42:16 44,505 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, it's normal. Just have a look around and see what you discover :)
  • roz123 17 Jun 2010 23:52:30 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Tuffty 18 Jun 2010 00:04:29 1,534 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeh finding your way around is part of the enjoyment for me. Just found the Spider ball and remembering the magnetic tracks in the Chozo Ruins and Magmoor Caverns I need to get back to. And don't worry about getting lost, after a while you'll get a message and a prompt to press the map which will then open the World Map up and a '?' icon will appear over an area you need to go to.
  • matrim83 18 Jun 2010 08:29:29 5,587 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alright. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something obvious. I think I am starting to warm up to it very nicely. This is my first 3D Metroid, loved the 2D ones, Shadow Complex and Metroidvanias so its no surprise that I am really enjoying it.

Valar morghulis.

• YoshiMcTaggis 18 Jun 2010 08:51:21 2,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep just to add I concur, Metroid is all about learning a map and getting all excited when you find a new item.'Cept 3, stupid 3.
  • Bremenacht 18 Jun 2010 13:27:59 17,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was 3 poor? First two were great.

I've been keeping an eye on the Trilogy's price, seeing it as the best way of getting 3 and replaying the first two again.
  • matrim83 21 Jun 2010 21:50:04 5,587 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You know what I absolutely love about MP1 ATM? Its how you constantly think you have just accidentally stumbled into the right area. If you didnt stop and think about it you would probably never realize that there is some fiendishly clever level design funneling you in the right direction.

Also pleasantly surprised that I am not finding it too hard. Yet anyway. I had heard bad things about the difficulty spikes in this and MP2.

Valar morghulis.

• Bremenacht 21 Jun 2010 23:09:52 17,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    matrim83 wrote:
    Also pleasantly surprised that I am not finding it too hard. Yet anyway. I had heard bad things about the difficulty spikes in this and MP2.
    MP1: Complain about backtracking/confusing routefinding
    MP3: Complain about boss difficulty, not being able to backtrack for parts of the game and easy routefinding.
    MP3: Complain about gimmicky waggle-controls (?)

Just going by comments and (some..) forum posts!

Terrific-looking games in GC resolutions.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:56:01
    Post deleted
  • Kay 16 Jan 2011 18:59:22 17,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Despite owning this for ages, I've only just got round to putting it in my Wii in the last couple of days. Played through the opening sections of both MP1 and MP2, as well as a tiny bit of MP3. The new controls took a bit of getting used to, but once I switched to advanced sensitivity they were fine - had to turn off free lock aim too, much better that way imo.

Anyway - I was all prepared to have my rose-tinted spectacles well and truly smashed with the first two games, but was rather surprised to see that not only do they still good on an HDTV (the 60fps helps immensely, they've certainly aged better than something like Twilight Princess), they're also as fantastically playable as I remember. The Wii controls make things much more fluid, I was racing through each section and had to tear myself away from MP1 - glad to see that it's still, imo, one of the very best games ever.

I'm actually looking forward to finally getting round to playing 3 now, and after that there'll definitely be another playthrough of 1 and possibly 2 as well.
  • ecureuil 16 Jan 2011 19:03:44 76,661 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been wanting to go back to MP1 for ages, but I still have tons of games I haven't already played. I never finished 2 so I should really do that..
  • roz123 16 Jan 2011 20:33:23 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think they made some bits of mp2 easier for the trilogy on the wii so its not as frustrating
  • ChocNut 16 Jan 2011 22:22:58 2,184 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played this most of yesterday.

Absolutely flying thru mp1 - don't know if it's the new controls or just subconscious memories of the maps/puzzles...

Component cables help too!
  • Charlie_Miso 17 Jan 2011 00:19:07 1,191 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Charlie_Miso wrote:
    Tried to get back into this over the weekend but it wanted me to go all the back across the map and down into the mines.

So I played Just Cause 2 instead.

Your loss.

Actually it wasn't. Just Cause 2 rocks.

Will make an effort to get back into it this week, it has been 8 months.
  • Pinky_Floyd 26 Aug 2011 08:10:32 7,657 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This has been on my radar for a long time. I've been visiting Game and HMV alongside various xtravisions in the hope that a second hand copy would turn up. It never does. I dont want to buy a second hand copy unseen from ebay, amazon or play as the prices are too high for what could be a dog eaten pile of crap. CEX only has them in a few select stores and not available to buy online.

In the end i decided to buy a brand new copy from the only retailer currently carrying them. Who? Tesco! 37 pounds is a high price for a game out ages. With gamed like this with such a limited release it really is a sellers market.

Ah well! Hopefully be delivered today or tomorrow. I loved Prime, one of my favourite games. The lure of playing in widescreen was too much.

Oh, i didn't get it before as i only got my wii last week!

How does Corruption compare to the first two? Kristan loved it on release but then when he reviewed trilogy he seemed a lot more critical of it.
  • DFawkes 26 Aug 2011 08:18:18 22,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My local ASDA has loads sealed at 20. Not that it helps you now. Just saying.

Corruption is still alright, it's just not as good as the first 2. Well worth playing once you've done the other 2 though.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• roz123 26 Aug 2011 09:18:24 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the 3rd is excellent until you get the one particular planet The space pirate one. Its design is probably the worst of all the areas in all the prime games by quite a big margin. Up till then though it is great.
  • Pinky_Floyd 26 Aug 2011 13:39:27 7,657 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    20 quid new in asda? Damn never thought of there :(
  • Pinky_Floyd 27 Aug 2011 11:40:39 7,657 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had killzone 3 with Move and the constant drifting of the cursor along with frequent recalibrations really irritated me.

Amazing how the older, simpler tech of the wii remote works far, far better for this type of game.
  • Gaol 27 Aug 2011 11:50:23 2,263 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not 'amazing', just surprising if you bought into the hype around Move being accurate, which I certainly did.

The wii self-corrects as it can use the two sensors and the wiimote to triangulate a position. The Move can't do this - it only has two reference points, the camera and the Move - it then trys to keep a track using the internal gubbins in the Move which is increasingly inaccurate with use.

The Move is useless as an actual pointer - it gets by as a cursor mover, but even that can need recalibration after time. It's actually a pretty shit bit of tech, over engineered. Most third party developers seem to have realized this, I wish Sony would stop wasting resources on it.

Sorry, rant over.
  • Dan234 31 Aug 2011 06:46:42 2,232 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nintendo got in first and got everything patented. Sony have had to work around that with unfortunate results.
  • Tonka 31 Aug 2011 06:56:20 20,167 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Charlie_Miso wrote:
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Charlie_Miso wrote:
    Tried to get back into this over the weekend but it wanted me to go all the back across the map and down into the mines.

So I played Just Cause 2 instead.

Your loss.

Actually it wasn't. Just Cause 2 rocks.

Will make an effort to get back into it this week, it has been 8 months.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Sorry, but you will spend far far faaaaar more time traversing the map in Just Cause 2 than you ever will in MP. If the only reason you stopped playing MP is that you don't want to revisit places you've seen before then surely JC2 isn't the antidote.

I really think you should give MP another go. travelling is constantly made easier because you get new tech all the time.

Don't getme wrong now, JC2 is a brilliant brilliant game. Very different from MPs brilliance so the two don't compare very well. But one thing MP made me think that JC2 never did was "All games should be like this"

Then I played RE4 and everything else just seemed silly.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Charlie_Miso 1 Sep 2011 03:29:48 1,191 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Surfing a plane was a lot more fun than going through the same cavern again, fighting the same enemies. But I do see what you're saying.

Just felt I was making my own fun going from A to B in Just Cause (via c d e f etc) whilst in Prime I had to go through the same room again with the same shit. Just got boring.

In fact I never really went back but did make a nice 400% profit on the Trilogy when I sold it last month. Can't have been a huge fan of the game if the best thing about it was the profit.

JC2; my GOTY 2010.
  • Tonka 1 Sep 2011 07:30:51 20,167 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JC2 was and is amazing in many ways. You are right that MP never gets the same sand box freedom make up your own adventure.

But I feel that you have missed out on one of gamings great classics when you gave up on MP. Horses for courses though. Good thing you made some profit.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 15 First / Last