Metroid Prime Trilogy Page 2

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• roz123 23 May 2009 15:52:25 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They should whack super metroid on it aswell. I'm just being greedy.
  • silentbob 23 May 2009 15:57:21 29,008 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Widescreen AND 480p!!!!!

BE STILL ME BEATING HEART!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Deleted user 23 May 2009 15:58:33
    hehe
  • Deleted user 23 May 2009 16:02:38
    Post deleted
  • Santino 23 May 2009 16:07:49 399 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    this trilogy had better come out in europe!
  • Deleted user 23 May 2009 16:18:24
    Screenshots
  • JinTypeNoir 23 May 2009 16:29:09 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really don't like Metroid games in general, but it kind of pisses me off that either we'll have to wait for this to get introduced over here or it'll never come. It's yet another one of those "Japan as beta testers" thing that gets on my nerves.
  • Deleted user 23 May 2009 16:38:29
    Um, does this use that new motion plus thingy?
  • Oh-Bollox 23 May 2009 16:49:24 5,326 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nope.
  • Deleted user 23 May 2009 17:00:40
    Bollox.
  • Deleted user 23 May 2009 17:04:49
    I think Metroid is well overrated. Got to the end of the 1st one then never got round to finishing the final boss.

Certainly dont want to revisit the cartoony, respawning lonely world of Samus and the "Space Bandits" (or whatever they were called) again.
  • Deleted user 23 May 2009 17:10:34
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Deleted user 23 May 2009 17:22:42
    Respawning I agree with, the rest is madness spread liberally on ruggedtoast.
  • Hydrophis|inornaius 23 May 2009 17:23:55 157 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, hated that cartooniness...
  • Deleted user 23 May 2009 17:27:16
    To be fair they did go more cartoony with Samus Aran in 2 (not played 3) but ruggedtoast only played the first one, so he has no right to complain, Metroid Prime is fantastic!
  • Hydrophis|inornaius 23 May 2009 17:35:19 157 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes and that was right at the end of the game... if you had a high enough completion rating... for about 3 seconds...
  • JinTypeNoir 23 May 2009 17:36:34 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can see how people love Metroid -- the sense of isolation and exploring the alien planets, the silence of the experience and the openness and sense of threat and tension, the thrill of discovering at last what certain designs you've met but not understood. I also think whoever first thought of Samus rolling up into a light ball like that had an absolutely amazing imagination to come up with that. At least, that's what I'm guessing it is. The only I really, really liked was Metroid Fusion.

To me, however the lack of character in Samus and the lack of a recognizable, featurable "character" (like the charm of Mushroom Kingdom or the pop and cute of Kirby's star or the quaintness of Hyrule) in the planets and environments just keeps me disconnected and unmotivated. Not saying that there isn't a proper atmosphere to it, just that I don't feel much character to it other than bleak, uninviting and alien. Though the little bits of Chozo lore and that nutsoid clone/alien thingy that takes Samus's suit in Fusion.

That and hunting for more missile or bombs and such doesn't give me a thrill like heart pieces in Zelda or secret worlds in Mario do, because the former usually involves a sidequest, puzzle or character interaction of some sort and the latter usually the chance to get involved in some offbeat piece of platforming design that makes the game fun in the first place.

Also the enemy encounters (other than the bosses and sometimes even then) feel like more of a nuisance than another worth-while and fun-increasing part of the design.

I'm also the type that doesn't put much stock (none?) in immersion.

I generally hate it when people go on about well-loved series like they can't understand why people like them, but I thought I'd throw that out there in the nicest way I could think of getting the points across.
  • Hydrophis|inornaius 23 May 2009 17:54:11 157 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess it's just a case of what does and doesn't work for you, Jin, but to say the Metroid world doesn't have character is stretching it a little.

Sure, some of the more recent efforts (2 and 3) have mostly featured brownscapes, but even they have, for instance, Sky Town and the Sanctuary Fortress. Metroid Prime and Super Metroid have, in my opinion, an awful lot of character and familiarity to them. The fact that you keep a constantly-updating encyclopoedia of the world's flora and fauna surely only helps to characterise it? Especially when you come across a series stable enemy like a screechbat or, indeed, a metroid!
  • Deleted user 23 May 2009 17:56:58
    My problem with the missles and other items lying about is it another case of the backwards game design, whereby better or even just the obsessive compulsive gamer gets stronger, therefore making game easier for them - while less experienced gamers find it harder, but thats a problem with many games.

It's still fantastic!

The whole needing 'character' is so far removed from my own preferences for gaming, I like me immersion playing a mysterious, mythical portagonist and you explore and understand the world through them and not excessive poorly written exposition.

Wish more games would do this sort of thing these days, always wanted Tomb Raider to go in this direction rather than the way it did. Come to think of it, this probably one reason why I'm over the moon Demon's Soul has been signed by Atlus.
  • JinTypeNoir 23 May 2009 17:57:08 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's hard to explain, but like I said above, while there is certainly an atmosphere to it, it doesn't feel like a character on its own like the other settings do. Showing interesting world design or having typical enemy characters doesn't do enough to get there.

Ooh, I think that's a good way of explaining it. Demon's Souls and King's Field have a similar set up in that you play a largely character-less main who goes into a mostly silent, desolate world. The difference in their case for me is you can feel a kind of lived in harmony, as if you were stepping into something that existed before, whereas Metroid games kind of feel like they try for that but it comes off like you're getting a tour of a natural cave and the tour guide is saying, "And these are formed when magnesium and sulfur have sex with the maid" and you're like, "Yeah, when I do get reception back for my cellphone?"
  • Oh-Bollox 23 May 2009 18:23:13 5,326 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's one of the good things, but also one of the bad. The environments can be convincingly alien (relatively speaking) but this can alientate some people.
  • Hydrophis|inornaius 23 May 2009 19:05:29 157 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Most confusing analogy ever, Jin!

It still sounds like you're drawing an arbitrary distinction that can only be summed up as 'personal preference'.
  • JinTypeNoir 23 May 2009 19:20:42 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What else would it be? Things like atmosphere, personality and character don't really fall under the realm objective fact, do they? Did you think I was making an argument of some sort?

Or is that you think I should just say flatly, "I personally don't like the setting?" Because the reason I don't say that, because I don't feel it gives any insight into the reasons for that personal preference.
  • Hydrophis|inornaius 23 May 2009 19:42:26 157 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, er, yes, if that's all it comes down to then that's all it comes down to - writing long explanations and analogies is more suggestive of a justifying argument. To express an opinion is to express an argument - if all your argument comes down to is 'I prefer it this way' then that's all you should say.

At least, if that's how you're going to respond to a post that simply points out you haven't drawn any real distinction yet other than what you like and what you don't like. I'm quite happy to talk about opinions, otherwise.
  • JinTypeNoir 23 May 2009 19:48:30 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Eh? Is there some way I responded to that you feel was rude?

I guess it's a question of semantics or how you feel about the nature of opinions, but I feel like an argument is something you definitely want to attempt to persuade or convince someone of something. To me an argument is something confrontational, even if happily and peacefully discussed. I'm not particularly worried if people feel any sympathy to my ideas on Metroid games, thus it's simply a detailed breakdown of my opinion because I don't think "doesn't do much for me" adds much to the discussion and "is overrated" is kind of annoying to people who probably who thinks its just fine, thank you very much.

Does that make more sense?
  • Deleted user 23 May 2009 22:34:53
    The Metroid world does feel very contrived and over complicated to me.
  • Deleted user 24 May 2009 01:51:41
    Metroid is, quite simply, a bunch of old bum.
  • neonemesis 24 May 2009 09:33:56 1,640 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To me, the 'lack of character' in Samus works pretty well since the game makes it feel like you are Samus exploring alien worlds and desolate landscapes. It wouldn't be quite the same if there was some big convoluted plot with extensive character development etc. For me, the best realisation of this exploration was in the original Prime when you gain access to the crashed Space Pirate vessel and explore the part dry, part submerged corridors, bodies of dead Space Pirates floating on top of the water. It was eery and really felt like you were the first person to be there in a long time.

I can see why people don't like it though and I have to agree and say that the respawning enemies are an utter annoyance at times. Backtracking would admittedly be more boring without them though.
  • ZuluHero 24 May 2009 09:48:14 4,201 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    they should make more 2D metroids. I hated the jump into 3D.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last