Fiennes climbs Everest

  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
  • JuanKerr 21 May 2009 01:04:32 36,331 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Probably won't interest many of you, but Sir Ranulph is a legend and he's just chalked up yet another achievement.

    /doffs hat


  • silentbob 21 May 2009 01:07:25 29,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Meanwhile his wife and family sit wondering if they'll ever see their father again as he selfishly and expensively 'chalks up' another 'achievement'.

    What a selfish old cunt.

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • GuiltySpark 21 May 2009 01:08:30 6,431 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I sometimes take the stairs in the shopping centre, even when there is an adjacent escalator.

    Get bent.

  • JuanKerr 21 May 2009 01:09:39 36,331 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, what a self-centred, glory-hunting twat.

    The venture aims to raise £3 million for Marie Curie Cancer Care. Sir Ranulph’s first wife, sister and mother died of cancer within 18 months of each other.
  • silentbob 21 May 2009 01:10:33 29,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Yeah, what a self-centred, glory-hunting twat.

    The venture aims to raise £3 million for Marie Curie Cancer Care. Sir Ranulph’s first wife, sister and mother died of cancer within 18 months of each other.
    As the rest of the article says, charity is secondary to his exploits. As are his family.

    Awesome guy!

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • Fizzog 21 May 2009 01:11:12 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I guess that's good?

    I've never understood hiking myself, even if someone's doing it in a very hard environment I still can't get past the fact all they're basically doing is walking.
  • ilmaestro 21 May 2009 01:11:42 32,465 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    I sometimes take the stairs in the shopping centre, even when there is an adjacent escalator.
    megalol

    But yeah, this is impressive on one hand, but then you have what bob says on the other hand.

    4235

  • JuanKerr 21 May 2009 01:15:48 36,331 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Yeah, what a self-centred, glory-hunting twat.

    The venture aims to raise £3 million for Marie Curie Cancer Care. Sir Ranulph’s first wife, sister and mother died of cancer within 18 months of each other.
    As the rest of the article says, charity is secondary to his exploits. As are his family.

    Awesome guy!

    It says nothing about charity being secondary at all. Do you not think that as his life has been tragically affected by the disease, he feels like it's a good cause?

    Fucking hell, I can't even believe you're trying to discredit him for this.
  • JuanKerr 21 May 2009 01:16:44 36,331 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    I sometimes take the stairs in the shopping centre, even when there is an adjacent escalator.
    megalol

    But yeah, this is impressive on one hand, but then you have what bob says on the other hand.

    Yeah, but what bob has said is a load of fucking bullshit.
  • silentbob 21 May 2009 01:24:47 29,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Yeah, what a self-centred, glory-hunting twat.

    The venture aims to raise £3 million for Marie Curie Cancer Care. Sir Ranulph’s first wife, sister and mother died of cancer within 18 months of each other.
    As the rest of the article says, charity is secondary to his exploits. As are his family.

    Awesome guy!

    It says nothing about charity being secondary at all. Do you not think that as his life has been tragically affected by the disease, he feels like it's a good cause?

    Fucking hell, I can't even believe you're trying to discredit him for this.
    The article paints the picture of a man who's done these things because he wants to for the whole of his life. If there hadn't have been a cause for doing it, he'd have gone anyway - the charity was secondary to his own desires and drives.

    All of which is great, and absolutely admirable (sincerely) IF you don't have children, IF you don't have a wife.

    I'm not trying to detract from his achievement, merely pointing out that lauding him as a hero to all is pretty short sighted. I can never dream to have attempted any of the things he has in his life, but for fucks sake think of something other than yourself for once.

    He's not a hero to all, and as a person I find his actions objectionable. Not just him, but any 'adventurers' with families like him.

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • twelveways 21 May 2009 07:35:43 4,069 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    She married him knowing what he does. It would be like marrying Bill Gates and complaining that he spends all his time at his computer.
  • silentbob 21 May 2009 17:06:58 29,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    She married him knowing what he does. It would be like marrying Bill Gates and complaining that he spends all his time at his computer.
    And that makes him less selfish how?

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • sport 21 May 2009 17:11:22 12,775 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meh, Everest is for pussies, north face of the Eiger is where it's at.
  • El_MUERkO 21 May 2009 17:38:46 17,076 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sport wrote:
    meh, Everest is for pussies, north face of the Eiger is where it's at.

    are you shiting me, i climbed that using only my dick as an ice axe, K2 is where men with titanium balls climb, everything else could be climbed by leper penguins!
  • Ka-blamo 21 May 2009 17:40:42 7,472 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    twelveways wrote:
    She married him knowing what he does. It would be like marrying Bill Gates and complaining that he spends all his time at his computer.
    And that makes him less selfish how?

    because its like complaining water is wet.....She's marrying a focused, determined man....not a selfish old man as you're painting him as...

    Maybe he's aware of the risk he's taking....and sacrificing his life and the happiness of his family....thats more honourable...

    not just saying, yeah my wife might nag me if I went....so i'll sit in an arm chair with a pipe and fucking rot!..

    If we were all wet homos like you this great nation wouldn't have done anything....
  • sport 21 May 2009 17:51:18 12,775 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    sport wrote:
    meh, Everest is for pussies, north face of the Eiger is where it's at.

    are you shiting me, i climbed that using only my dick as an ice axe, K2 is where men with titanium balls climb, everything else could be climbed by leper penguins!

    If that is true sir, you are indeed the toughest bastard to have ever roamed these threads.
  • twelveways 21 May 2009 17:52:49 4,069 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    twelveways wrote:
    She married him knowing what he does. It would be like marrying Bill Gates and complaining that he spends all his time at his computer.
    And that makes him less selfish how?

    Because you dont marry someone with the intent on changing them, you should accept them and love them as they are. Unless he explicitly promised her that he would would not go climbing any big mountains then she has no argument.
  • silentbob 22 May 2009 02:09:09 29,015 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    twelveways wrote:
    She married him knowing what he does. It would be like marrying Bill Gates and complaining that he spends all his time at his computer.
    And that makes him less selfish how?

    Because you dont marry someone with the intent on changing them, you should accept them and love them as they are. Unless he explicitly promised her that he would would not go climbing any big mountains then she has no argument.
    You didn't answer the question.

    I'm questioning whether a man who does such things is someone I find heroic, not whether his wife has a right to complain or not.

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • Deleted user 22 May 2009 04:50:22
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Probably won't interest many of you, but Sir Ranulph is a legend and he's just chalked up yet another achievement.

    /doffs hat



    Somebody should tell the idiots at the BBC that made that 'five stages to Everest summit' that it's called the Hillary Step, not the Hilary Step.

    Disgusting, just where is my licence fee going?

    Also, the fact that he's trying to raise £3 million for cancer research should trump the fact that he may or may not be a selfish bastard.
  • twelveways 22 May 2009 05:37:57 4,069 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    twelveways wrote:
    silentbob wrote:
    twelveways wrote:
    She married him knowing what he does. It would be like marrying Bill Gates and complaining that he spends all his time at his computer.
    And that makes him less selfish how?

    Because you dont marry someone with the intent on changing them, you should accept them and love them as they are. Unless he explicitly promised her that he would would not go climbing any big mountains then she has no argument.
    You didn't answer the question.

    I'm questioning whether a man who does such things is someone I find heroic, not whether his wife has a right to complain or not.

    who the fuck cares/knows what you find heroic?
  • lucasmax 22 May 2009 07:33:17 363 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    what a selfish cunt, he could at least have took the kids up with him.
  • cubbymoore 22 May 2009 07:44:22 36,501 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What a strange person to attack silentbob.
  • Cadence 22 May 2009 07:58:58 1,693 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    you folks really do descend into argument very quickly don't you!
  • lucasmax 22 May 2009 08:07:47 363 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    them's fighting words!


  • TheBear 22 May 2009 08:43:36 4,529 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sad to see people trying to discredit the man in this thread. Great achievement.

    On a similar note, I joined my Dad on Saturday as he climbed his 284th Munro on Saturday. That's him done the lot in 6 years, starting when he was 67. Next, Everest! Go my dad!



  • Deleted user 22 May 2009 08:44:07
    I don't think anyone is trying to discredit his achievement.
  • morriss 22 May 2009 08:47:03 71,138 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    twelveways wrote:
    She married him knowing what he does. It would be like marrying Bill Gates and complaining that he spends all his time at his computer.
    And that makes him less selfish how?
    I think it makes you seem incredibly, overwhelmingly self righteous tbh.
  • Trane 22 May 2009 08:48:03 4,056 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Silent bob :(
  • morriss 22 May 2009 08:51:56 71,138 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bob in the pub with his mate.
  • LeoliansBro 22 May 2009 09:16:50 44,512 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Meant to put this in yesterday.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Page

    of 2 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply