GAME Online is composed of complete idiots...

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Transporter 14 May 2009 14:34:24 6 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Or is it not?

I, for once, am convinced that the above statement is 100,01% true.

Take a deep breath, read my story and tell me if I am wrong...

I've been buying games online from Game.co.uk for a very long time. Until recently I've never had any problem with them.

On Bank Holiday I spotted on their spring sale MadWorld for 14.98. I really wanted this game and at such a price it was a hell of a bargain.

So I tried to order it along with a few other games, but at the final step of the site's checkout process I was unable to place the order. I thought that their system was down because of the day and I said to myself never mind, I'll order it tomorrow. The next day I tried once more to order the game, but I was still unable to place my order. After many attempts, I sent the following email to their customer support:

"Hello,

I am writing to you because the site does not let me place any orders. As of 20/03/2009 I was able to order anything without having any problem. Please note that since then I have not changed any of my account information (payment cards, delivery addresses, etc.).

Yesterday I tried to place two orders, but everytime I clicked the "Place Order" button at checkout step 3 ("Review & Confirm"), I was brought back to step 2 ("Delivery & Payment") and got the following message:

"Unfortunately we have not been able to complete your order online in this instance. For your protection, we have a series of comprehensive anti-fraud and safety measures. However, these can sometimes be triggered for wholly innocent reasons. Please contact our Customer Services Team on 0871 200 1221 to complete placing your order on this occasion."

After many attempts I thought that the site was not taking any orders because of the Bank Holiday and so I let it go...

Today I tried once again to place an order believing everything would be alright, but guess what? I still get the same annoying message...

After some brainstorming I had the idea to place an order for a single game, instead of two, as I usually do. And voila, my order was finally accepted!

Problem solved? Well, it seems not: An hour or so after I had successfully placed my two orders, I receive two emails with subject "A problem with your order". I go to "Your Orders" list to see what the hell went wrong and in the "Order Status Log" i see the following message: "Sorry, your order has failed authorisation call 0871 200 1221 for assistance."...

Call 0871 200 1221 for assistance? I am living in Greece and doing so will cost me an arm and a leg. I hope you can find a way sort out this annoying situation and let me know what is going wrong, because it's really starting getting on my nerves...

Best Regards,

[My Name]"

Five minutes later I receive an email from a chick at their customer support asking me a ton of bullshit questions, like what browser and OS am I using, if I was logged in while placing my order, what error message was I getting ( :S ), at what step the problem occurred ( :S ), if I had changed my personal details ( :S ) and other shit like that.

I realized that I had to deal with a brainless creature (a zombie or something), so I deleted her email response and I sent another email to GAME's customer service.

And here is the point the epic saga of me trying to figure out what the hell was wrong begins:

Me

Hello,

I am getting in touch with you because THE SITE DOES NOT LET ME PLACE ANY ORDERS.

My account worked fine for over a year since its creation. The last time I placed an order was at the end of March 2009. Four days ago I placed an order for two games, but during the checkout, on step 3 'Review & Confirm', when I was supposed to proceed to step 4, the system threw me back to step 2 'Delivery & Payment'. Then I tried to place an order for a single game and this time I was able to proceed to step 4 and successfully place my order. But after a while my order was rejected for
    reasons unknown (and totally unrelated to credit issues)...

Since that day I've been trying on a daily basis to place an order, but
    all of my attempts were unsuccessful.

Today I created a new account, thinking that there was an issue with the
    account I've been using since 01/12/2007. So I tried to place another
    order, and guess what, I once more faced the same problem:
    'Unfortunately we have not been able to complete your order online in
    this instance. For your protection, we have a series of comprehensive
    anti-fraud and safety measures. However, these can sometimes be
    triggered for wholly innocent reasons.'

By the way, I am also experiencing the same problem with my
    Gamestation.co.uk account...

THE PROBLEM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY OS, MY BROWSER, MY CREDIT CARD, MY BILLING ADDRESS ETC...

FOR SOME REASON I CANNOT UNDERSTAND, YOUR SYSTEM HAS BANNED ME FROM PLACING NEW ORDERS TO BOTH GAME.CO.UK & GAMESTATION.CO.UK.

IS THIS THE WAY GAMEPLAY LTD. IS REWARDING A CUSTOMER WHO HAS SPENT OVER 2,400 BUYING PRODUCTS FROM ITS ONLINE STORES???

Waiting for your response,

[My Name]

GAME Customer Service Response

Hi [My Name],

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately you are being blocked from our website for security reasons.

I apologise for any disappointment.

Regards,

Craig L

The Team at GAME

Me

Hi Craig,

Seems that you (I'm referring to your company, not yourself personally) don't want me as a customer anymore.

That's fine with me. Thank God that Amazon.co.uk, Play.com and HMV.com exist.

Having being a loyal customer to your company, one who has spent over 2,400 ordering goods from Game.co.uk, I DEMAND to know the exact "security reasons" that blocked me from placing orders to your website.

Please take into consideration that the whole content of this email, plus your answer, is going to be posted at various gaming forums, so it would be wise to provide a very detailed answer about those "security reasons".

Also, please let your superiors know that as an editor to the
    best-selling gaming magazine in Greece, as well as a person with power in the two most populated greek online gaming communities, I will do my best to convince as many greek gamers as possible to stop ordering from Game.co.uk, Gamestation.co.uk and Gameplay.co.uk.

My Warmest Regards,

[My Name]

Hi [My Name],

I have looked into your account further and can see that I may have confused your details with a customer of the same name. Please forward me a previous order number that you have had from us so I can find out why you are being blocked from our site.

I apologise for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Craig L

The Team at GAME

Me

Hi Craig,

I currently have 3 accounts at Game.co.uk and 1 account at Gamestation.co.uk.

All of them are registered under the same name: [My Name].

My 1st account at Game.co.uk is registered with "email@email.gr" as the email address. I created this account a few days ago, because I believed that my previous account was corrupted. This account doesn't have any orders, as I am being blocked from placing any.

My 2nd account at Game.co.uk is registered with "email@email.gr" as the email address. This was the account I used for almost a year and a half. The last despatched order's number is "047xxxxx/1", while the last rejected order's number is "049xxxxx/1". I am being blocked from placing orders from this account too.

My 3rd account at Game.co.uk is registered with "email@email.gr" as the email address. This account was last used on October 29th 2007. The last order's number is "016xxxxx/1".

My account at Gamestation.co.uk is registered with "email@email.gr" as the email address. The last despatched order's number is "041xxxxx/1", while the last rejected order's number is "048xxxxx/1". I am also being blocked from placing orders from this account.

Waiting for your response,

[My Name]

Hi [My Name],

Unfortunately I can only advise as my colleague has previously and state that you are unable to place orders with us for security reasons. I apologise for any disappointment caused regarding this matter.

Regards,

Lucy J

The Team at GAME

My last email was sent almost a week ago and I received Lucy's response today...
  • DavetheDave 14 May 2009 14:56:42 1,391 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sounds pretty shit to me.

Probably best to try and find the MD's email address and write to them directly. They hate getting letters like that and usually sort things out asap.

You might even get your orders for free...

Good luck with it.
  • Deleted user 14 May 2009 15:00:01
    DEMANDlol
  • Deleted user 14 May 2009 15:07:43
    Nothing can ever be more than 100% anything. Except pork pies. They can be made with 140% pork.
  • LeoliansBro 14 May 2009 15:09:16 44,512 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Nothing can ever be more than 100% anything. Except pork pies. They can be made with 140% pork.
    Not to nitpick ... actually, I won't.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Transporter 14 May 2009 15:10:14 6 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DavetheDave 14 May 2009 15:10:20 1,391 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:

And increases and decreases...

"House prices have increased by 200% this year alone"*

"House prices have decreased by 200% this year alone"*

* obviously these aren't genuine head-lines, but they could be.
  • DavetheDave 14 May 2009 15:11:43 1,391 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:

Oh, and Apprentice candidates. They can give more than 100% apparently. Which probably has a lot do with the fact they're all talking porkies.

Stealth: "I'm a cockney geezer, I am" post.
  • DavetheDave 14 May 2009 15:12:12 1,391 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:

You have more restraint than me.

/feels dirty now for nitpicking
  • Deleted user 14 May 2009 15:13:06
    I was going to make some facetious comment about how they probably didn't like the bold text and the shouty caps, but then I read it all and was as frustrated as you obviously are.

You need an actual named person to speak to, and it might be worth using one of those websites that give you local rate calls to foreign countries, and getting in touch with their head office on a UK landline number. Kick some ass, those fucking muppets don't know what they're talking about. How can that stupid Lucy girl send you an email referring you to her colleagues previous email when the previous email was the one that said there'd been a mixup?

Madness. Good luck but don't bother ordering anything from Game any more regardless of the outcome.
  • President_Weasel 14 May 2009 15:14:10 9,460 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I liked the part where a tech support employee contacted you and asked you some questions, obviously the ones they need to ask as part of the first contact, and you deleted the email in a fit of pique.

I'm not sure if anything else happened later as I got bored and stopped reading.
  • Deleted user 14 May 2009 15:14:22
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    Yes, you'd look like a bit of a wally if you went to the effort of nit-picking an obviously jokey post, now wouldn't you? :)
  • DavetheDave 14 May 2009 15:15:25 1,391 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe the security reasons have something to do with your location. Have you tried ordering them via a friend in the UK?
  • Deleted user 14 May 2009 15:17:01
    President Weasel wrote:
    I liked the part where a tech support employee contacted you and asked you some questions, obviously the ones they need to ask as part of the first contact, and you deleted the email in a fit of pique.

I'm not sure if anything else happened later as I got bored and stopped reading.
    You shouldn't have, it's a fairly righteous complaint.

Basically, he kept asking for details and threatened to take it to various gaming forums, magazines etc, someone got scared and wrote back and said there'd been a mixup and they were looking into it, he replied but it got caught by the idiot-filter and sent to some moron who checked her records, saw he'd had a standard "You are a security risk" reply and referred him to that again so she could go on an early lunch break.

I'd be pissed off too. But then it doesn't take much with me.
  • Deleted user 14 May 2009 15:17:33
    DavetheDave wrote:
    Maybe the security reasons have something to do with your location. Have you tried ordering them via a friend in the UK?
    Presumably it's exactly this - Greece is the new Nigeria, maybe?
  • Transporter 14 May 2009 15:19:57 6 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    I was going to make some facetious comment about how they probably didn't like the bold text and the shouty caps, but then I read it all and was as frustrated as you obviously are.

The original emails didn't contain any bold text. :)
  • DavetheDave 14 May 2009 15:22:46 1,391 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If it helps, their direct number is:

+44 1256 784000

(as found at this very useful site)

I don't how much cheaper calling it this way will be than using the 0871 number, but it's certainly a cheaper way to call here in the UK.
  • Transporter 14 May 2009 15:26:46 6 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DavetheDave wrote:
    Maybe the security reasons have something to do with your location.

Nope, they don't. They still ship to Greece. Pals of mine can place their orders without any problem...
  • skuzzbag 14 May 2009 15:27:36 5,651 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know that if I was paid fuck-all I also wouldn't give a shit about one customers problems. There is your problem right there.

• DavetheDave 14 May 2009 15:29:30 1,391 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can I offer you some constructive criticism? I've hidden it with spoiler tags in case you're not interested...

It's possible you may have gone in a little too heavy a little too quick. With all the capitals and the whole "Do you know who I am?" mentality.

I can't really imagine anyone earning the kind of money that customer services reps do really feeling like they should help you.

They may be a lot smarter than you think and are just playing dumb to irritate you.

I can understand your frustration, but if you want to get this issue sorted, having a pop via at email at the lowest person in the chain-of-command isn't likely to help.

I do hope you get it sorted, as I understand how frustrating these things can be.

/hopes this helps
  • DavetheDave 14 May 2009 15:31:07 1,391 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks like other people had the same thoughts I did.

Just not with spoiler tags. :)
  • DavetheDave 14 May 2009 15:32:34 1,391 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Transporter wrote:
    DavetheDave wrote:
    Maybe the security reasons have something to do with your location.

Nope, they don't. They still ship to Greece. Pals of mine can place their orders without any problem...

Could they order them for you? (I appreciate that's not the crux of the problem, but as you're unlikely to order from them again, at least you get the games you wanted).
  • bigshot316 14 May 2009 15:38:08 24,074 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I work in a place that takes a lot of orders both online and over the phone.
    About 6 Months ago I noticed a sudden influx of people having this problem, and sadly we have very little, if any info to help.

I do know a lot of companies now like you to have the billing address in the UK, and also if you have recently moved or had your card replaced it can effect it.
    Before burning down GAME H.Q, I advise you call your bank to see if they have any answers for you.

And as for the spactards replying to your Emails; although I can understand your fury at the unhelpful and brief responses, I'm guessing that this isn't out of nonchalantness but rather a genuine lack of knowledge.

I know it frustrates the fuck out of me!

smoggo wrote:
    At weekends when my wife is away I like to wear her stockings and put Stickle bricks up my bottom whilst listening to Ke$ha songs.

• jonsaan 14 May 2009 15:40:26 25,360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had a similar incident with them. Ring them up! It was all resolved in a matter of minutes once I spoke to someone.

FCUTA!

• Transporter 14 May 2009 15:41:46 6 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    I had a similar incident with them. Ring them up! It was all resolved in a matter of minutes once I spoke to someone.

Can you provide any more details?
  • Transporter 14 May 2009 15:53:25 6 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DavetheDave wrote:
    Could they order them for you? (I appreciate that's not the crux of the problem, but as you're unlikely to order from them again, at least you get the games you wanted).

Yup, of course they can. But it frustrates the hell out of me that not only I suddenly can't place any orders, but also I can't learn the reason why...
  • DavetheDave 14 May 2009 15:56:34 1,391 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Transporter wrote:
    DavetheDave wrote:

Yup, of course they can. But it frustrates the hell out of me that not only I suddenly can't place any orders, but also I can't learn the reason why...

Yeah, I can totally understand that.

Probably some weird fuck-up somewhere.

Which has resulted in some kind of Catch-22 situation.

"I'm sorry sir, but for security reasons I can't access your account."
    "Ok, how do I resolve this security issue?"
    "I'm sorry sir, I'd need to take you through security for that."

/facepalm
  • rudedudejude 14 May 2009 16:02:55 2,204 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I DEMAND the finest wines available to humanity...
  • figgis 14 May 2009 16:06:14 7,376 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't use them anymore then.
  • Deleted user 14 May 2009 16:07:55
    ...and cake!
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous